Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tikiyaki Orchestra - New Year's Eve at Kona - Ticket Sales End at 12:00 Midnight TONIGHT !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 180 replies

On 2008-12-19 08:26, SoccerTiki wrote:
The future is uncertain for Kona.....

You mean we are still not out of the water on that one?

Unfortunately, no.

Since Soccer Tiki sort of let the cat out of the bag, I might as well elaborate, based on mine and his conversations with Chuck.

Without going into too much detail, things are not looking good. Based on the economy, I'd say any business that is in startup mode or struggling is going through the same thing, so it's not isolated.

I really didn't want to use this as a ploy to get people out to the show, but this very well could be the last Tikiyaki/KONA shindig.

So I'd advise anyone who is going to the show, or likes to document classic tiki establishments, bring your cameras, and video cams and get all the photos and video you can.

It seems this kind of thing follows us....this past Summer it was Hukliau and the Mai Kai...supposedly they were not long for the world, but the Tiki Gods smiled and the Mai Kai and Hukilau continue.

We've contacted a few big money players with Tiki interests, to see if they'd be interested, but haven't heard anything.

So if you have a rich pal....hit em' up !

And before anyone goes on about how they "don't make the drinks right" or any other broo ha ha about how they "could have succeeded", just know that KONA sits on a VERY expensive piece of real estate, is very large, and takes alot of money to operate. No perfectly made tiki cocktail or decor accent can change that...not in 2008.

There are really few large scale tiki restaurants left, and KONA is one of them. The Mai Kai being another, but being in a Prime SoCal location, it has to be challenging to keep a place like this going.

Soccer Tiki and I have said it many times....Go there, enjoy the place, because you never know.

Last night, the place was busy for a Thursday...a party in each banquet room, and people in the restaurant AND bar. People DO love the place, and not just TC people..locals, old timers etc....Lots of people will be sad to see it go.

I'm crossing my fingers, and doing what I can to help, but a big boatload of cash, I don't have right now.

Jim, your band would make any venue instantly "tiki" just by being there. I hope your show is a huge success. Merry Christmas, my tiki brother!

T

Jim -

I'll be at the Kona New Year's eve soaking it all in, camera in hand. Hope to share a toast with the band at midnight!

It's slightly bittersweet for me, having grown up in Huntington Beach back in the 60s. I remember Sams Seafood from my childhood - I have not visited Kona yet since I now live in the SF Valley and don't get down to OC very often.

Thanks for the insight on the status of the restaurant - another reason to make this event an evening to remember.

Thanks Jim - Thanks Kona.

Cheers!

The list is growing....... Only 12 more days.... WooHoo!

The following people are in

Tikyaki
Marty the Lush
Soccertiki & WooHooWahine
Hinano_Paul & Mrs. Lurker
GoGo & Dani
Tigerlily
Makedamug
Big Tiki Dude
Joe Banks
Tikigeeki
Tikimango
Kikivon Tiki + 1
CoCoJoe + 1
Iokona + 1
Auburn Hills + 1
Kick the reverb + 1
Hiphiphula
TikiG
Pineappleman11 + 1
PiPhiRo

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-12-20 19:45 ]

Well, fellas, that sure put it into perspective. I just bought 2 tickets, hopefully will be bringing a friend, but I will definitely figure out a way to make it work.

I gotta tell you this news really bums me out ! I know putting the message out that things aren’t looking good for Kona were meant for those able to attend to really appreciate and soak it in. But im not able to attend and that makes the sting hurt that much more. I was there for the blessing of the Hidden Village and felt like that was the beginning of a beautiful thing. This place has withstood the test of time and is truly a historical landmark without question. But im going to remain optimistic and know this will be a collective thought among anybody who has ever visited Sams or Kona. Because now more then ever in these times we need a place like this that allows you at the doorway to shed the reality of the world, and enter an aloha state of mind. How many soulless Joe Crab shack type establishments can we endure and be dictated to that this is progress and the future? This place has walls that could tell many stories, hopefully one day they will tell yours!

T

Yea, well, I, in no way want this to turn into a "ALoha Oe', Farewell KONA" party.

We will have that in the event that it DOES happen. This is a New year's Eve celebration, and our way of celebrating an amazing first year for the Tikiyaki Orchestra, in our favorite local Tiki Temple.

The "Blessing" was meant to be a new beginning and a nice kickstart for KONA and The Tiki community, so I'm bummed about it too.

Hopefully, The Tiki Gods will smile on KONA, like they did the Mai Kai.

One can only hope.

Booked for 2 Today ---The Pineappleman will be there for the fun

P

Just purchased my ticket.

wow kinda sad news,
heres hoping for the best.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I am literally posting this from a booth in Kona's Outrigger Bar from my BlackBerry...I've pledged to myself to only eat here from now on when we go out! Martin is on the jukebox and the postcards for the Jungle Jetsetters Ball are in the table tents! I wish I could be there so badly...we can't let this place die! Hope you all have a great time New Years Eve!

My DD is going off with her dad for a New Year's holiday, so it looks like I'm a definite "yes". Don't know about my girlfriend, but we shall see. Woohoo! Looking forward to a great evening and seeing everyone there.

I was there on sat. too.
from 4 pm to 6 pm ish.

sooo good,
can't wait for NYE.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

D

Anybody staying overnight at the 777 or the Ocean view? Maybe an after hours cocktail room party is in order!!!!!

Stacey and I got our tickets.

Can't wait to ring in the new year Tiki style!

CJ

Do you think they'll let people look in the basement on NYE?

Just played the cd for some Friends visiting from Israel, and they so wish they could go, but they are flying home on X-mas day.

I'm bringin 7 people.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

I think there will be enough people staying at the Ocean View and the 777 to get a room/motel crawl going.

I hear rumors of a "pre-game" cocktail-a-thon going on too.

I DO think there should be a Tiki New year's Breakfast get together the next morning after check-out.

Tikiyaki Pancake Breakfast !!!

Maybe at Woody's or the Harbour House ?

Why end the part New year's Eve ?

Tix are goin' folks, so get em' while you can !

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-12-22 20:42 ]

PANCAKES!!

I say Harbor house, what time?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Is 10:30 too early ?

On a different note

We recently shot a video for "Mai Tais on the Moon" at Bahooka. The video was directed by TC's own Joe Banks and features some really nice dancing by Tehani, whom alot of you saw at Crazy Al's 10 anniversary show at Bahooka. She'll be dancing with us New Year's Eve as well.

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com/video.htm

Also, our new website is up and running, and was done by our own Digitiki - Mark Riddle.

*** Also, we have a new addition to the stage show...2- 4ft carvings of our mascot tiki, designed by none other than Leroy Schmaltz. He had them carved in Indonesia, and are hollow inside so they are lightweight....I've decided to name them.... what else...? "Bob" and "Leroy".

The Leroy design is loosely based on the mug done by Squid, which was loosely based on the tiki on the cover of "StereoExotique". I think Leroy put his own stamp on the design, as did Squid, but they all have a similar look. The same goes for the pendants, that were carved based on the mug design, but given their own interpretation.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-12-22 22:26 ]

very nice,
so suave,

and JP cracks me up,
as Ive said before,
you can take the boy outta the metal,
but you cant take the headbanger outta the boy.

great job to all involved.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

JB

My room's booked!

The new website looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Awesome job Mark.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

GT

Great Job! Guys and Gals on the video, Very Cool, Thank You!

The video is solid!! I like the fact that everyone seems to move as if they are underwater, from the hula dancing to the band and with the fish tanks in the background the end result is real fluid. Looking forward to the new cd, cant get enough of these talented gentlemen.

back to the show night.
I hear tix are going fast now,
grab em before they are gone.
wouldn't want to miss out on this historic event.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S
squid posted on Wed, Dec 24, 2008 3:34 AM

On 2008-12-23 18:40, Mongoloid wrote:
The video is solid!! I like the fact that everyone seems to move as if they are underwater, from the hula dancing to the band and with the fish tanks in the background the end result is real fluid. Looking forward to the new cd, cant get enough of these talented gentlemen.

Wherever Marty Lush is, you can be sure there will be fluid.

The Eliminators dig the Tikiyaki video mucho!

For those who have not see The Eliminators before, here is an example of some of the more mellow stuff the band will be doing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_bV1vRBZs&feature=channel_page

WARNING! It will not all be mello.... See everyone there.

JB

...less than a week to go! Get your tickets!

T

DRINKS !!!

Chuck decided to make a few classic Tiki Cocktails available for this event. . They will be made from the Beachbum Berry Recipes...

DISCLAIMER : CRITICS - We've been down this road before, so I'm going to say it now....If they are not made to your liking, or "authentic tasting" or "you didn't see a lime being squeezed into the drink....don't yell at me. I'm just passing along the info. I DID tell Chuck that unsweetened Lime Juice made from Concentrate is an acceptable substitute for actual squeezed lime juice.
Hey, no one complains about it at the Tiki Ti, so....With this many people coming out, the bartenders will be swamped, so squeezing limes for every drink is not a reality, anyhow.
Anyway, You know what they say, "Don't shoot the messenger". I'm just passing along the info.

So, there will be 3 classic Tiki Cocktails....

Trader Vics Mai Tai
Lapu Lapu
Blue Hawaiian

what no Navy Grogs!!
damn it. :(

just razzin ya Jim,
thanks for the info.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

JB

I'm sure the Kona version of the Navy Grog will still be available!

More info on New year's Eve.

The front Restaurant portion will have a private party starting at 9:00, but the bar will be open and the restaurant will open to everyone until 9:00.

Also, they will be serving the full menu, not the limited one as previously stated. So all the normal KONA menu items will be available from the kitchen until 10:00, and appetizers until 11:00

Anyone know if we need to make reservations for dinner at Kona? The phone # gives me a disconnected recording.

You don't want to see baby drink with no food in his belly.

On 2008-12-28 16:33, Swamp Fire wrote:
Anyone know if we need to make reservations for dinner at Kona? The phone # gives me a disconnected recording.

You don't want to see baby drink with no food in his belly.

No reservations! First come, first served. Dinner and appetizer menus available in the Hidden Village. We'll make sure there's food in your belly!

This just in via email from Kona:

Happy New Year from KONA Restaurant

To our loyal guest,

...A few changes since my last e-mail for New Years Eve.

The dining room at KONA will be open from 4pm to 7pm for early diners. After that the dining room will be changing over for a private party. We will be offering New Years Eve Dinner and Festivities in our Hidden Village and High Chief Banquet Rooms along with the Tikiyaki Orchestra performing retro Exotica tunes, the surf band The Eliminators also Hula Dancers, Belly Dancers and even a D.J., all for a very low $15.00 cover. There will be a couple of dinner specials from Chef Roy and our regular dinner menu will also be available. We will even have a special drink menu featuring the classic tropical drink recipes from the days of Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic's!

Wishing you every happiness this Holiday Season and prosperity in the New Year. Thank you for being our customer. We look forward to continuing our relationship in the coming year.

Happy New Year from all of us at KONA,

Susan & Chuck Purrington, KONA Restaurant Proprietors
Joe Zofrea, General Manager
Cindy Ludwig, Assistant General Manager
Roy Hendrickson, Chef

Doors open at 8pm Show starts at 9pm.
Seating is first come, first served.
Buy your $15.00 admission tickets online with PayPal at http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

Give us a call at KONA for any questions 562-592-1321

short and sweet translation.
you must buy tickets to back room tikiyaki show from the band s web site or myspace.
you tell them your name, you get let in back rooms.
then you buy food and drink from Kona,
capice?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

DZ

On 2008-12-29 16:08, bigtikidude wrote:
you must buy tickets to back room tikiyaki show from the band s web site or myspace.
capice?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The 'Event Details' link on the Tikiyaki page sez tickets will be sold at the door as well - true?

On 2008-12-29 19:13, Doctor Z wrote:
The 'Event Details' link on the Tikiyaki page sez tickets will be sold at the door as well - true?

Yes, you can pay at the door too :)

capice?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

IF there are tickets still available....Remember, there is another party in the front of Kona with 75-125 people...some of them may want to buy wristbands to see the live entertainment (Tikiyaki and the Eliminators)$15 to have the priviledge to walk in and out, from one party to the other is nothing!

"Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2008-12-29 20:06 ]

OK Kids, it gets better....
We have DOOR PRIZES !

Everyone who paid admission will be given a raffle ticket and there will be drawing throughout the night to win various prizes.

Here's a List

Tikiyaki Orchestra CD

Tikiyaki Orchestra Hand Carved Wood Pendant

The Eliminators UltraSonic CD

The Eliminators Unleashed CD

2 Jungle Jetsetter New Year's Eve Ball Event 11' x 17' Poster signed by the Tikiyaki Orchestra and the Eliminators

and, the grand Prize...(drum roll pleeze)

The World's Ugliest Tiki Mug. It may be a vintage Mug from the Kon Tiki in Boston, but it's so Hideous, I just can't keep it in my home because the other mugs in the collection are so abusive to this guy...It's So hideous, I just Have to give it away to restore order in my Mug Collection. So this guy will be given away to some "lucky" ticketholder.

There may be some more to come too....

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-12-29 22:15 ]

On 2008-12-29 20:05, SoccerTiki wrote:

capice?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

yeah, IF there are tix still available.
it may sell out tomorrow, and even the people in the front dinning room, may not get in. I'd be safe and get tix online.
I ordered 3 extra besides the ones I got for djing.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

IF there are tickets still available....Remember, there is another party in the front of Kona with 75-125 people...some of them may want to buy wristbands to see the live entertainment (Tikiyaki and the Eliminators)$15 to have the priviledge to walk in and out, from one party to the other is nothing!

"Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2008-12-29 20:06 ]

Yeah If it doesn't sell out.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-12-30 16:22 ]

Just so you all know. Ticket Sales will end at 12:00 Midnight Tonight (Tuesday)

I just came down PCH from Orange County and saw the giant Tikiyaki banner on the Kona sign...lookin' good guys.

T

Just added to the door prizes.

A classic SWEET Sam's Seafood Menu from the 1990's...

and a Green Tiki Farm Sam's Seafood Mug

T

A note on seating.

KONA has alot of large round tables that sit 8 or 10 people. Due to the amount of people who bought tickets in pairs, you MAY be at a table with some people you don't know.
You know....Cruise ship style

So, alot of you TC peeps that know each other, if you wish to be seated together, get in touch with each other and make plans to meet early and get your table.

There are no table reservations, so if you email KONA and let them know about the size of your group, it will help them plan their seating and table arrangments

[email protected]

NOTE This won't guarantee a table to your liking, but it will l give the restaurant and indication of the group sizes and give them a better idea of how to arrange the tables so that most everyone is happy with their seating.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-12-30 14:37 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 180 replies