Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut Hand-Built Art Show April 11 (Part 1)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies

Jymmy
you friggin CRACK me up!
:lol:

Thanks Ken yea I love that suit .

The reason that there are some people out there who do not like my new and progressive tiki art that I am making for the Tonga Hut Art Show on the 11th is because they are stupid.

And now, A sneak preview of another one of my highly inspired pieces of new cutting edge tiki art!

Here's my new one off Custom Moko Maori Swirl One Of a Kind Golf Hat:

When you see someone wearing this hat that he/she purchased from me at the Tonga Hut Art show on the 11th, you, along with everyone else, will know that he/she is a smart person.

Q: How will you prove to the world that you are indeed a smart person?

A: Go to the Tonga Hut Art Show on the 11th and buy a piece of art.

See you all there!
Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 11:57 PM

Buzzy smart person.

Buzzy is a shyster!

Oh my gawd, I just got a chance to really look at this thread.
Bai you monkeys are so cute...and I gotta have a Peanut Bob!

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 9:51 PM

On 2009-04-08 08:40, little lost tiki wrote:
Already got my outfit ready for Saturday Night!

Ah c'mon Kenny! If you show up in your Cow suit, I'll wear my Power Rangers suit!

We can fight crime or rule the universe together or something...
Whadayasay??!!

Bo

humm smokey the bear maybe .

M
mp posted on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 5:10 AM

Bai, your work is beautiful! I know everyone was looking forward to seeing
you and your art. Here's a tribute to your Monkey Mojo. I know everyone
will raise there tiki mugs to you on Saturday night. Everyone's work and
this entire thread has been very inspiring!
MP

K
kirby posted on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 7:52 AM

hey grog ..can you give us an updated list of the artists that will be contributing to the show?

K
kirby posted on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 9:20 AM

Also.. are we gonna be hitting up sum dr hoggly woggly's before the show???

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 11:43 AM

Maybe.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 12:39 PM

Nice tribute flyer there MP.

K
kirby posted on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 8:09 PM

man this thread died.. lets get some excitement going on ...the show is tomarrow... yeeeeeehaaaaa..

B

:up: alrighty then...I will try to get some better pictures (group shot) up tomorrow morning when I have better light, but the firing went well I think...sneak peek :)

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-04-10 20:43 ]

T

Well Kirby, I am excited about the show tomorrow! Can't wait to see all the cool pieces! And I'll have some stuff, too!

I've got some more drawings completed, plus I officially carved my first tiki. Actually, a couple of tikis! They're small, but they're tikis! And I've got something with wheels... and something for Easter...

Unfortunately, I'm haulin' tiki-butt to finish stuff, so I haven't had a chance to take pix, so I don't have any to post... maybe tomorrow...

I was up for 24 hours straight for the Tikiyaki show at the Mayflower... I smell a repeat...

But to reiterate, I'm very very excited!

B

I'm bringing up your mug Eric :) The vanilla color used on the inside looks real nice. A+

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 11:28 PM

Kirby keep bugging GROG to list who going to be selling stuff at art show, so:

Babalu ( we don't really need anybody else besides Babs, but we also have some of his disciples)
Bowana Dave (show off)
Baypark Buzzy (the man, the myth, the machine)
Cammo (he's not strange, he's Canadian)
MP (Mikel's got some talent goin on)
SQUID (that boy never rests)
Tobunga (Tiki cookies right out of the oven)
Kirby (back and better than ever)
GROG (crap made using a rock and a stick)

Jeff (BigSneaky Dude) spinning the tunes.

GROG going to have to bring extra tables in case we run out of table space.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-04-10 23:44 ]

On 2009-04-10 23:28, GROG wrote:
GROG list who going to be selling stuff at art show:

Babalu ( we don't really need anybody else besides Babs, but we also have some of his disciples)
Bowana Dave (show off)
Buzzy (the man, the myth, the machine)
Cammo (he's not strange, he's Canadian)
MP (Mikel's got some talent goin on)
SQUID (that boy never rests)
Tobunga (Tiki cookies right out of the oven)
Kirby (back and better than ever)
GROG (crap made using a rock and a stick)
Jeff (BigSneaky Dude) spinning the tunes.

I'll be bringing this small pile of stuff:

4 tiki napkin rings and matching salt and pepper shakers:

Drinky cups

Maoritini Glasses

Mugs and stirrer stick

Pendants:

Lava Hawaiian Ku Cocojoes inspired plaque

Tikis that were made to hang on a wall

Wood stuff:

New bling pendant:

And one drum.

Make Room!
Buzzy Out!

B

They're still hot from the kiln! Ow, my fingers!

Ace Of Spades Mug. (leopard spots next time)

Happy and sad shot glasses.

Three more shotz.

A nice lil' dippin' bowl.

I'll have these in addition to what I've posted previously.
See y'all at the Tonga Hut!

Bowie

Have a greeeat show!!!! you're all just Great!!! :)
Baï

C

A lot of cool unique art on this show, seems like a collectors dream, hope you all have a great time! Cheers!

Awesome stuff for tonight!

Babalu, the trophy heads turned out perfect! Need to post some of this stuff on your "clayjam" thread for the rest of the folks to find
BayPark Buzzy's been a busy beaver breakin' out big bucketfuls of baked ballclay beauties
Bowana's cookin'!

Wish I was going up with you :( Maybe next time.

B

Here's a little group shot of the stuff I'm bringing to the Tonga tonight...

Trophy heads...2 are sold...2 are left...

For you Ben...Let's ROCK THE RABBIT!!!

:tiki: INCREDIBLE TIKI GOODIES! :tiki:

What a fantastic collection of handmades by many talented peeps! Have a great Tonga Show to all...and hats off to Grog for assembling such diverse talent!!

...so bummed I can't attend. shoootz :P

Babalu,

That Sams Platter/Plate is really spectacular.

Hope everyone has a fun time tonight. Wish I could be there.

Ya!

Me too!

Monkeyman took me hostage to dye Easter Eggs for our kids.

Looking forward to pics of the night....

Rick, so you took the Kona platter to the Tonga? Isn't that like, blasphemy? :lol:

C

That was REALLY fun at the Tonga. GROG is much nicer in person than you'd ever expect. Can't say much about his driving, though.

Talked to the couple from Ohio and got into a marathon conversation with them and Eric about the coolest spots to visit in LA over the next 3 days. Also cruised through BigTikiDude's 45 collection, which he treats more carefully than I treat my lava-top mugs.

Buzzy held court in Grande Buzz Style, Squid scuttled around then crawled back in the fish tank, and Bowana vanished his BBQ plate like he was in the NASA Clean Room...

Try the Tonga Lei, it de bes'.

CJ

showed up late but manage to get a lil' something

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 12, 2009 12:18 PM

You bought Manny and Eric?

JB

I picked up a couple of beautiful pieces by Tobunga.

K
kirby posted on Sun, Apr 12, 2009 6:13 PM

great time.. It was nice to finaly meet bowana and babalu.. you guys are awsome artists..babalu your trophy heads blew my mind,MP it was nice metting you also and thanks for the pendant I hope to see you in many art shows in the future..Buzzy your an awsome dude, Its always cool chitchattin with you,thanks for copying my art so good.. I hope we can hang out again real soon.Cammo thanks for not knocking over my tiki while using it as a door to your booth, that shattered tiki mug is one of the most original tiki mug ideas I have ever seen keep up the great work..squid your my hero..tikidude your not...grog thanks for the awesome mug and easter egg, ernie thank for the great drawing polly loved it too..Tonga hut thanks again for lettin us rif raf show off in your bar...kirby

B

Wow! That was FUN!!

The 3 hour drive up kinda sucks, Buzzy poking Cammo...Cammo screaming "Babalu, he's looking at me again!" - Sir B to my right - "Babs, can't you talk to them"...No really, just kidding, we had a good time on the drive up. :) Hell, Grog's Barbecue place he took us to alone was worth the trip up "YUM!"...the Tonga Show was just the icing on the cake.

It was great meeting so many that I had only seen online before...Y'all are some damn fine folks...

Here are a few pictures I took last night. I wished I would have taken more. Did anybody get a shot of Squid's Killer work?? Hope so...wait til you see. SPECTACULAR!

I want a GROG shirt!!!

Hey, by the way, I think the Tonga is still kickin it tonight...Don't be square, be there!

HAPPY EASTER!!

On 2009-04-12 18:13, kirby wrote:

..squid your my hero..tikidude your not...

what the hell man?
sheeesh whats with all the hating?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

H

I had a lot of fun seeing all my old friends, and all the art pieces were amazing. Jeff, you did a great job spinin the tunes last night, I loved every song you played. :)

Thank you Hiltiki,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

K

On 2009-04-12 21:42, bigtikidude wrote:

what the hell man?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ok bigtikidude you can be my hero too ..I was just tryin to be funny, but I'm not very good at it..sorry..

On 2009-04-12 22:46, kirby wrote:

On 2009-04-12 21:42, bigtikidude wrote:

what the hell man?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ok bigtikidude you can be my hero too ..I was just tryin to be funny, but I'm not very good at it..sorry..

oh I don't really want to be anybody's hero.
just didn't get reason for the dissin' there.
you still mad about me not liking Hoggly Wogglys?
as for being funny on TC.
that's reserved just for LLT.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-04-12 22:52 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 12, 2009 11:43 PM

GROG like to thank all the artists for bringing such AWESOME stuff. Thanks Babs, Cammo, Buzzy and Bowana for driving all way up from San Diego and back same night! Mikel, it nice meeting you and your wife and seeing such nice work. You gotta do some more black velvet paintings. Thanks for the pendant and mini prints.

Thanks everybody that showed up, drank, hung out, bought stuff, listened to Jeff's music, and etc. It was smaller turnout than some of the past art shows, but nice people that did show up. No fights and nobody got kicked out.Only go to show how tame things can be when Ruzic not there. Thanks to the couple from Ohio for coming by and visiting while on trip here--sorry, GROG not good remembering names.

Thanks Jeff, BigSleepyDude for Djing and doing such a great job providing the tunes.

Thanks Tonga Hut and bartenders for letting us invade your bar.

GROG start a new thread tomorrow for the on-line PART 2 of hand-built, hand-made one-of-a-kind art for sale by TCers.The plan is to have all the artists post stuff first at the front of the thread so that all the art will be posted in one spot and people will know to look at the first pages of the thread and won't have to scroll though ten pages of comments and thread derailing looking for the art. When GROG start thread GROG will request at front that only artists post stuff and that nobody comment or derail the thread until all art has been posted. Artists should post their art in the first week the thread is up, and anybody that posts comments or derails thread in that first week will get a PM asking to edit their post to get rid of the comment so we can just have art in the first week. Comments and inquiries should be sent to the artists as PMs (personal messages) or emails if the artist would rather be contacted that way. It is the individual artist's choice whether or not they want to post their asking prices, or if they rather answer PMs or emails about pricing,trades, etc. All art should be original, and hand-made. No printed stuff, or molded pieces. They can provide links to their other art within their post. GROG will provide a link HERE to that thread if anybody can't find it, and it will be in MARKETING. This will be open to ALL Tiki Central artists and the art must be original, and hand-made/hand-built, not printed, molded, silk-screened, machined, etc. All of this same information will be posted at the head of the other thread.We'll run it for a month, counting the first week of posting.Thanks in advance.

On 2009-04-12 23:43, GROG wrote:
GROG like to thank all the artists for bringing such AWESOME stuff. Thanks Babs, Cammo, Buzzy and Bowana for driving all way up from San Diego and back same night! Mikel, it nice meeting you and your wife and seeing such nice work. You gotta do some more black velvet paintings. Thanks for the pendant and mini prints.

Thanks everybody that showed up, drank, hung out, bought stuff, listened to Jeff's music, and etc. It was smaller turnout than some of the past art shows, but nice people that did show up. No fights and nobody got kicked out.Only go to show how tame things can be when Ruzic not there. Thanks to the couple from Ohio for coming by and visiting while on trip here--sorry, GROG not good remembering names.

Thanks Jeff, BigSleepyDude for Djing and doing such a great job providing the tunes.

Thanks Tonga Hut and bartenders for letting us invade your bar.

GROG start a new thread tomorrow for the on-line PART 2 of hand-built, hand-made one-of-a-kind art for sale by TCers.The plan is to have all the artists post stuff first at the front of the thread so that all the art will be posted in one spot and people will know to look at the first pages of the thread and won't have to scroll though ten pages of comments and thread derailing looking for the art. When GROG start thread GROG will request at front that only artists post stuff and that nobody comment or derail the thread until all art has been posted. Artists should post their art in the first week the thread is up, and anybody that posts comments or derails thread in that first week will get a PM asking to edit their post to get rid of the comment so we can just have art in the first week. Comments and inquiries should be sent to the artists as PMs (personal messages) or emails if the artist would rather be contacted that way. It is the individual artist's choice whether or not they want to post their asking prices, or if they rather answer PMs or emails about pricing,trades, etc. All art should be original, and hand-made. No printed stuff, or molded pieces. They can provide links to their other art within their post. GROG will provide a link HERE to that thread if anybody can't find it, and it will be in MARKETING. This will be open to ALL Tiki Central artists and the art must be original, and hand-made/hand-built, not printed, molded, silk-screened, machined, etc. All of this same information will be posted at the head of the other thread.We'll run it for a month, counting the first week of posting.Thanks in advance.

No molded pieces? What if the object is molded by my hands. Wouldn't that be okay? I'm working on some other molding methods using other parts of my anatomy, considering that they won't be mass produced and won't be sold to minors, this should be okay, right?

what if I make some bread by hand,
and form it into art,
and then it molds on its own?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

On 2009-04-12 12:01, Coco Joe wrote:
showed up late but manage to get a lil' something

On 2009-04-12 12:18, GROG wrote:
You bought Manny and Eric?

And we're worth every cent of the 1.99 we cost, although I resent being refered to as "a li'l something"!... I may be short, but not I'm a "something"!

Yay!

What an AWESOME show! Thank you everybody who came out to support the artists!

And what a great line up of artists! So many unique, incredible pieces! My fave was Dave's Duk Duk mug (great... one more thing for me to covet)! But everyone's work was outstanding... if I wasn't so broke, I would have bought something from everyone.
And BigTikiDude totally rocked... loved the tunes he was spinning (I was serously going "Oh, I LOVE this song!" all night long!).

Thank you so much Ernie for putting the show together, and to Tonga Hut for hosting!

EARLIER IN THE POST,GROG SEZ...

Only go to show how tame things can be when Ruzic not there.

Only GOES to show...
sheesh!

I shall reply with a question,dear Ernie....

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Apr 13, 2009 8:42 AM

"The 3 hour drive up kinda sucks, Buzzy poking Cammo..."

Buzzy kept trying to use my Etch-A-Sketch! Would YOU let him do that? Huh?

Gotta hand it to BigDude, he spun some great records. Didn't know that Shag had so many songs out, albums & 45s, and they actually sound pretty decent! Dude didn't crank the volume way up, either - everybody could still talk at party chatter levels...

And Kirb the Partay Boy was a fun wallmate, too, whatever GROG says.

On 2009-04-13 01:12, tobunga wrote:
although I resent being refered to as "a li'l something"!... I may be short, but not I'm a "something"!

And BigTikiDude totally rocked... loved the tunes he was spinning (I was serously going "Oh, I LOVE this song!" all night long!).

Well sometimes I would rather be called a little something,
than a big nothing. so you should be happy.
:wink:

and thanks for the compliments to you and everybody on the tunes.
I try to mix it up, be mellow, and not to obtrusive. yet not put everybody to sleep.
and its always fun to spin my records and cds that usually just sit collecting dust.
plus I get to show up early and see all the art before the crowds show up.
great stuff everybody.
as always would love to buy 1 piece from everybody.
I am starting to buy at least one piece from each show now.
gotta support the artists.

I bought this one from Eric(Tobunga)
love how Evil it looks.

Jeff(bigtikidude)
"Where Good Rum is Immortalized, and Drinking is an Art"
"And, When that old "Demon Rum" slips past the lips it still works its ancient,cheerful magic" (Don the Beachcomber)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-04-13 10:54 ]

GREAT PIECE ERIC!
Nice score EEyore!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 13, 2009 1:46 PM

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies