Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut Hand-Built Art Show April 11 (Part 1)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies

B

My Gawd Bai... I think we are looking at your calling here. Your a 3D lady all the way!

T

Super great stuff there Bai. Best Peanut mug EVER!

B

Whew! Incredible, Bai! Hope it all makes it across the pond safely.

On 2009-03-22 22:52, GROG wrote:
What? No mugs Bo-Bo?

Yes-Yes, I'll bring some mugs.

Here's one currently in the works.

On 2009-03-24 10:39, MadDogMike wrote:
Hey Bowana-

1. How about a pic of the subminiature wahines with a quarter for size reference?
  2. How about a Fez Seamonkey?

If you are referring to the earrings, a TC member has already bought them so I can't take a pic cuz they're gone daddy gone! I guess I better get busy and make some more.

Fez Sea Monkey? Now you are just getting silly, Maddog!! :)

Bowie

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 25, 2009 11:42 PM

Damn, Bai!!!!!! Your stuff is so AWSOMELY cute and well-crafted. YOU ROCK!!!!!

Bowana Dave. Looking forward to seeing your stuff in person.

GROG got news that GROG' Moai mugs survived the glaze firing, but GROG not see them yet. GROG post pics when GROG can.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 25, 2009 11:43 PM

P.S. BAI ROCKS!!!!!

Bai, amazing work,
Love the peanut.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

CJ

I call dibs on peanut bob!

I want two pairs of the earings too . WAY KOOL !

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 26, 2009 7:41 PM

GROG make mug. 4 Moai. 3 grey, and 1 brown. Grey ones have matte glaze on outside and glossy glaze on inside. Brown one glossy all over. GROG not see in person, but Squid take pics and send to GROG. Thanks Squid for picking up GROG' mugs from kiln.

LT

Those R Ahhhsome!

B

Sir B - you Stud!!

GROG!!- - - GROG = EPIC!! Its plum amazing what GROG can do with just a rock!

K

awesome mugs grog, great texture.. my fav is square one on the left..now your showing everyone how awesome an artist you realy are... you should do more stuff...this is gonna a be one of the best shows..

L

Wow some impressive stuff popping up on here guys!

Love pretty much everything (as always). I highly doubt there will be anything left to purchase after opening night.

B

More soon :)

Grog do good! I'm impressed and if your name begins with a "B" damn, your awesome too. :D :D I look forward to seeing everything in person & you Babalu, you are over the top, off the chain... can't wait to see you!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 7:17 PM

Me think GROG not make these mugs. Me think nice man in big house who let GROG live behind his garbage cans out back really make mugs and say GROG make them. Then maybe GROG make ten bucks on each mug, GROG get all hoity toity artsy and take the bus to West Hollywood where he find some other nice man with bigger garbage cans.

These nice mugs. Square ones nice. Me say they worth more than ten bucks, but what me know?

Here's a "Leilani Tiki" mug series I made with the Tonga Show in mind. A little sumthin-sumthin for the wahines.

The silk flowers are just for display.

C

Oh I like those very much GROG! Congrats!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 28, 2009 1:44 PM

Thank you all who have commented you like GROG' crap. Hopefully GROG make some more down the road.

Great work Mike! Cool photo.

Awesome Mugs Grog! Get down the road and make more!

B

GROG' art make him now graduate from Neanderthal to Cro-Magnon. (Remember, fire: good)

Kudos to Mike for having the ladies in mind!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 29, 2009 10:46 PM

Come on Squidster, GROG know you have more goodies to show.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 30, 2009 1:32 PM

Babs, GROG hope your kiln working. Only a couple more weeks before the show.

Beautiful art everyone!

Grog, Love the square Moai! Great texture too!

I'm dying for Part II... my piece has been done for nearly a month!

Man! The art for this show looks fantastic!
Kudos to Grog and the bunch for the excellent idea/curation for this show.
So glad to see Grog sharing some of his amazing talent with us all (other than his talent for derailing threads) :wink:
I don't know if there has ever been such a hands-on, one-of-a-kind showing of mugs and ceramic pieces!

MUGS FOR THE PEPOLE, BY THE PEOPLE!!!!

RIGHT ON MY TIKI BROTHA!

VERY talented line-up! Thanks everyone for posting all the great photos.

Bai, I am especially in awe of your talent-how the hell did you make the 2-D to 3-D transition look so easy??!!
I covet your Peanut Bob. . . . :)

I know this will a stellar evening of art, friends, song and booze!
Hope everyone has a fabulous time!

I will be in Vegas, but I will be with you in spirit (or should I say Spirits?) :)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 31, 2009 10:00 AM

Sorry, we'll miss you at the show, Suze, but maybe we can get Courtney and Johnny Pinstriper to show up, and we'll have another cute blonde to take your place. :D

Yes, it's going to be a really nice show----GROG think we should make a hand-built art show an annual event like the Tiki Wonderland show.

Glad ya'll are liking GROG' crap. GROG blasted those Moais out really quickly and with as little effort as possible to try and keep them as cheap as possible---time is money. The more time and effort it takes to make something, the more it's going to cost. A GROG product is cheaper than an Ernie product, because you can expect lower quality primitive art from a caveman, than from a professional artist. These are marked on the bottom with GROG as the artist. The Bamboo Ben mug was designed by Ernie. :)

Hi everyone! I can't wait to go to this event! Everyones' stuff looks great! It makes me want to attempt making something...

S
squid posted on Tue, Mar 31, 2009 4:15 PM

On 2009-03-31 10:00, GROG wrote:
Sorry, we'll miss you at the show, Suze, but maybe we can get Courtney and Johnny Pinstriper to show up, and we'll have another cute blonde to take your place. :D

Johnny is certainly not my idea of a cute blonde, but he is lovable.

CJ

I'm sorry to say that we'll probably miss this event since we're going to Leonard Cohen. Maybe we try and make it there afterwards

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 31, 2009 9:05 PM

Well, at least you're not missing the show for a SURFBAND.

If you can't make it to this show or the Tiki Mug Book signing at 8 Ball on April5 , there's always:
http://www.alpacapalooza.com/

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-03-31 21:08 ]

I'm gonna miss it with no reason at all!

Arrrrrrr!!!

D'oh! Gotta get some new meds....

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 31, 2009 9:26 PM

Stop dropping tikis on your foot, and you should be able to make it out to more places and events.

O

Is there a list for this show?

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 31, 2009 9:38 PM

Or Ben, you could just teleport yourself there.

CJ

On 2009-03-31 21:38, GROG wrote:
Or Ben, you could just teleport yourself there.

can we please have thee peni covered if this is the case?

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 31, 2009 10:38 PM

A couple of artists from farther away may have a few items as well at the show April 11. MadDogMike might be able to make the long haul, and Mikel (MP) will be heading down from up north and should have a few hand-built goodies. They have to fill in for Cass who's just too damn busy working to get anything finished for us.

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 1:55 PM

GROG - don't worry, kiln will fire fine when I get back... I'm across the pond right now and joining in on all the protest action going on... The problem is, I have no clue what i'm protesting about?

Anyways, loads of fun - see ya in a few days.

G20 plus 1

T

Wow!

All this artwork looks AMAZING!

Thanks Grog for squeezing me into the show... I don't have any mugs, but I've been working on some drawings on black paper...

They're all 8x10, priced fer cheap!

Thanks again, Grog!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2009-04-01 23:33 ]

Tobunga,
great stuff there.
diggin the spooky night vibe.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

M
mp posted on Thu, Apr 2, 2009 12:09 PM

Hello everyone my name is Mikel Parton. I am an artist from Penngrove, Ca.
I Just joined TC to share my art and meet some of you. I would like to thank
Grog for letting me in the Tonga Hut show. I am stoked!
Here are some pics

Looking forward to seeing you all soon. MP

Cool stuff,Welcome!

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Apr 2, 2009 8:06 PM

Very nice work, Tobunga and MP!
Nice nice!

TB

I'm very impress about all of your work... really! just beautiful!! :)
as we say in french " c'est la cour des grands!" traduction : the older children's playground
I don't know if it makes any sense in english?! :)
anyway I wish I could see all of this by real...

Ernie.. I knew you got a fabulous idea... with your mugs.. I looove it! :) and what about the wheels?? you got to do some!!
Babaloo... you're my maaaaaster!! after squid! :wink:
I have a bad news for this show... :(
I don't think I can make it. I'm really desapointed.. but it's gona come too late for the show. and more than that.. the sending will terrible for my wallet. So I'll send my work maybe for the next show? is there any who's coming?
I keep working on other mugs anyway. :) :) here an other one. not glazed yet. and something will be add on this one.. it's a surprise :)

I have one general question... could you tell me, where on TC I can create my own "forum"? I mean a place I can post all my work? thanks.

Have a wonderful show!!!
love U all...

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Apr 3, 2009 7:04 AM

Who the heck is this MP guy???!?!!!

This stuff is amazing!

Yikes!!!!

Look - it's the inkwell of doom!

Bai - if GROG can create a forum, anybody can...

T

Too bad youre not coming Bai, That last mug would be best in show !

and Bai would be Prettiest in Show! :)

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Apr 3, 2009 8:44 AM

Mikel - Welcome to TC brother! Wonderful work man! Looks like your raku firing this stuff? Killer Diller! It's always nice to see a new Mud Slinger join the folds of TC.

Bai - Your a Sweetheart! Your on a roll lady. Your latest mug is a treasure! If you want to still participate in the show; I think GROG is going to do a "TC-online" continuation of the show in the market place area of TC right after the show on the 11th...just post pics in there and let it be known to the buyer that they have to pay the postage from Paris if they want to buy it. Squid, show Bai how to start a thread over in "other crafts"....Mikel, You should start a thread over there too...YAY!

Eric - I know that you don't want to sell this mug you made over here, but it's a damn fine mug and there is no reason you can't drink out of it on show night :) It needs to be shown off.

Alrighty Sir B, Buzzy, Cammo...I just landed back in SD late last night...let's turn and burn...get your latest greenware over here ASAP!

This show is sooo going to ROCK! My work is going to be 25% cheaper on show night "only" - You have to come to the show if you want a deal from me peoples! Sorry Gang, 2 of my Trohpy heads are already now sold (Jeez, I hope they make it through the firing ok)...only 2 left for the show and I will "not" sell these until show night.

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-04-03 09:12 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 3, 2009 8:45 AM

On 2009-04-03 08:42, little lost tiki wrote:
and Bai would be Prettiest in Show! :)

After GROG. :D

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-04-03 08:46 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies