Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Watango Productions . tiki's by Campbell

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 463 replies

looking good watango love the head keep up the good work

K

On 2011-08-24 06:43, TheBigT wrote:
I don't know what Western Jarrah stain is. But it looks great! :)

Jarrah is the aboriginal, and commonly used, name for Eucalyptus Marginata
endemic to the south-west region of Western Australia.
A glorious red hardwood known in early colonial times as Swan River Mahogany
because of the timbers' similar apearance to Honduras Mahogany.

Hope that doesn't sound too pretentious of me.

Beautiful work Watango, dig the shed.

A
amate posted on Sat, Oct 8, 2011 4:03 PM

Love the way you finish these.

5150-thanks for the comps.

tikibeat-hi Marcus, thanks for take'n a peak.

Amate-glad you dig my pieces.

My latest piece of yard decor in his new home

My mate Lluis came over for a few beers and we sacrificed
this guy to the tiki gods.

Here's a sneak peak at my latest piece.

Cheers Watango

Howdy Tcer's,Been pretty slack on the posts of late so here's some pics
of the ku head.pretty stoked with how this guy turned out.he still needs some more finish'n touches
but is allmost there.

Also scored a sweet hookup with the local city council tree loppers who are drop'n all the
non native trees in the parks around the city(melbourne) so good wood shouldnt be prob
from now on. Nearly snapped the tailgate off the ol girl load'n in two of these bad boys,it euro ash and weighed
a god darn tonne!!!

Cheers Watango.

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2011 1:13 PM

That piece looks fantastic! Very nicely done...love the crisp lines and the finish looks awesome...and congrats on the new wood :)

C
cy posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2011 2:07 PM

Great new carves Watango, great looking pieces plus you are a master at finishing. Also I am salivating at that new hunk of lumber. Endless possibilities!

P

that ku is SICK!!!

Cy,Nixxon.5150-thanks for the comps guys.Glad you dig my work back with more soon.Cheers Watango

i love your finishing technique....great color and the chisel cuts look great on all your stuff. good work..good work

C chimp-thanks for the comp,head'n out to the yard now to start work on the logo peice
for a new club/gang(sounds tougher)lol some freinds and I are start'n.Cheers Watango

You're a regular carving madman lately Watango! Nice chops on all the latest pieces, and those are some hefty logs.

Nice variety of wood lately, and that's a good thing. It teaches you flexibility in carving, and when you switch from hardwoods to palm you can really go to town.

Keep on carving!

lakes-thanks for the comp Dave being a big fan of your work your posts are allways
appreciated.Trying to stay motivated and push out more piece's, so now that I have a steady supply
of quality timber theres no excuse.Cheers Watango

[ Edited by: Watango productions 2011-11-20 12:17 ]

Howdy Tcers,Here's a shot of the logo my buddy Lluis did for our new tiki gang,should be cool to
hang out over maitai's and celebrate all things tiki.

And a few pics of my 1st attempt at carv'n him,will have to do a few more of these hopefully so I can
see this design fine tuning itself along the way.Cheers Watango

[ Edited by: Watango productions 2011-11-28 20:42 ]

I like it! If you do another, I suggest cutting the log in half. I've found that you can get a better representation of a graphic image when you don't have to worry about the back. Most illustrations don't take the third dimension into thought

Aloha station-Glad you like this guy and thanks for the handy tip on split'n the log
in two which makes more sense as i did struggle a bit on working out how to wrap
the design around the log.The next one will be a wall hang'n piece for sure and another
bonus to this is I can get two pieces out of the one log, Sweet!!Thanks again.Cheers Watango

I love the design with the rounded eyes, and you carved it very nicely by curving them in in the middle - it adds quite a lot of character to the piece! Splitting the log in half is a great idea and you're right - twice the amount of tikis for one piece of wood! You did a great job on the full round, using the entire log and I think you successfully transferred that 2d design into a tiki that can stand guard by the entrance to your club's tiki hut!

Polynesiac-thanks for stop'n by glad you likey.Cheers Watango

Twice the wood and twice the fun.

This is a current WIP.

Whoah! I think that came out awesome! I wanna join that club!!!!
Aloha, you ALWAYS have somethin' cookin!

P

You shoulda cut some of that wood at the top away and continued the nose into a mohawk!

Punks not dead!

ssssss

[ Edited by: Watango productions 2011-12-22 19:55 ]

Howdy Tcer's,here's some shots of a moai i've just finished,came in at around 5ft and weighs a god darn tonne!
Its carved out of ash which seems to crack fairly evenly and not split and once i gave it a light burn'n and a couple
of coats of vintage teak mixed with turps(stains go alot further and the results the same) it came out pretty kool.

also here's a photo of a tattoo my friend did on my leg,shes just learn'n and this is her third attempt.

Cheers Watango

S

I like the Moai, i think the cracks look great and really suit it. Personally i like the colour before the stain was added, although i'm sure even a clear would still darken it a little.

As for the tattoo, took me a moment to work out what it was. I thought, "strange looking tiki", then i realised it's what you use to make one. :D

G
Grimbo posted on Fri, Feb 3, 2012 4:03 AM

Just found your thread. Awesome work and very inspirational. I've added it to my favourites so I don't have to search for it in the future.

I like the new tattoo as well, I have a few chisels that look pretty similar.

Cheers
Sam :)

[ Edited by: Grimbo 2012-02-03 04:05 ]

P

yeah Mick...

that Moai is BAS ASS bro!

very cool. your finishing is always top notch.

A
amate posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2012 8:25 AM

On 2012-02-03 07:31, pjc5150 wrote:
your finishing is always top notch.

Ditto that...carving is great too!

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2012 9:00 AM

Very nice MOAI! That wood def suits it great...the cracks add much character.

Carve on!

Thanks for the comps guys!

F*#@k'n dropped the big guy take'n him inside and had to resand and restain.
Man I hate sand'n!

Robbie-Could'nt help meself mate,the stain makes the grain pop right out.
Cheers Watango

M

Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing.

Mahalo

McTiki

Sent ya a p.m.

H

Very nice.

Hiltiki,Mctiki-glad you likey!

I'm off to Hawaii(HELL YEAH)tomorrow,Hmm 2 weeks of sun surf tiki and mai tais!!!!
Cheers Watango

OwwwoooOOOOOOOOO !!!!

:drink:

HOK

Seen a couple of happy campers at Gecko'z house :)

Glad to have met you both! Safe flight back!!

Thanks Freddie,It was awesome to meet you guys and hangout and chat whilst chow'n down on Mikes secret dip as stealth jets
roared across the horizon.Mike and his wife and yourself really made our trip to southsea arts the highlight of our trip.I went into a bit of
a sensory overload just try'n to take evrything in as Mike's place was a tiki fiends dream come true but i got loads of photos.
the flight home was a bit of a haul but everything made it home unscathed.again thanks Mahalo Campbell

HOK

Great meeting and hanging out with you and Beck too! How was the swapmeet for on Sun? Lots of goodies?? :)

Alright that's long enough!!! Fess up some pictures!!

P

^ what he said.

Sorry bout the delay but I pretty much came home and had to get straight back into work.We had such a rad time in hawaii and bee'n
our first time we kind of went a bit troppo,took loads of pics, got to do heaps of koolstuff and meet some awesome peeps.I'll sort thru
them over the next few days and post some for sure but at the moment I'm just try'n to get my head around day to day life again.

Ummm tiki tki stuff!!

Cheers Watango

Ahhhh haaaa! Nice pic!! AL-O-HA!!
Troppo is good. Work=bad. :wink:

S

Nice haul there Campbell. I see a few Gecko pieces. I'll be heading over there later in the year, we need to catch up so you can tell me what's worth seeing.

Howdy guys,First day off since com'n home from Hawaii so I got to head out to the shed and do some carv'n,thought I'd try me hand at a quicky so this is what
i came up with after 5hrs an anglegrinder and 3/30 chisel.I think he's pretty rad.

And a few more pics from Hawaii,1st up Geckos original carv'n of Augie Colon that went on to become the much
coverted mug and Crazy Als Night of the tiki which we're hang'n out at tiki's Waikiki.

LaMARIANNA ,cant tell you how stoked we were to finally get here!

Cheers Watango

Help me out here - is that palm you are carving? Is that your first carved piece of palm?

Looking good brah! The 1st time I went to Hawaii, I stayed at Tiki's, had a blast...good food too.
Heading to Cali tomorrow, ALOHA

P

awesome!

Alohastation-sure is,I've carved some palm in the past but it's all been stringy and has'nt held up to well but the palm you see here is a type
of Fan palm that grows in the south and I was pretty stoked to find it on the side of the road as people dont cut these down,it's no where near as woody as the
Mexican fan palm but hey this aint Mexico.

5150-glad you likey,been check'n out ya stuff for the plant sale and thought man I'm goin out back and carv'n me a tiki!

Dave-thanks.Man I've had a few people diss Tiki's but I thought it was kool,loads of kool decor, good food and it was the first encounter
I've ever had with a real life Crazy AL carv'n(who by the way is one of my all time tiki heros)might be a different story at night tho once it's packed full tourists of the god darn annoy'n kind.Man I'm sure ya goin to have a hoot on your trip but I've only just got home so I'm not to jealous but I'll be think'n of ya .Safe travel Bro!

Cheers Watango

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 463 replies