Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Watango Productions . tiki's by Campbell

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 463 replies

Been a bit slack with my thread so I thought I better sort this out. Here's a couple of shots of the little guy
finished in the same charcoal as before.

It was a shitty cold winter this year so that slowed things down a tad so next up is a Jarrah
Moai which had a few dodgy cracks in the grain which had me worried so once I was finished
carv'n I taped him up and filled all the cracks from the bottom with a 2patr resin which worked out cool
apart from the fact that it leaked everywhere and I had to sand the whole thing AGAIN, turned out pretty cool tho and worth the extra work.

Got invited to be a feature artist again at Greazefest this year which was fun. Had Robbie(swizzle) join me on the Saturday which was cool.

Carved a Watongan piece over the wk/end inspired by the tongan souvenir tiki's we all know so well,
roughed out the body prior to the show to give myself a headstart.

Did really well over the whole wk/end,sold 4 pieces as well as a shit load of t's and hoodies. Had a rad time dispite the shitty weather.

thanks heaps to Niccy for take'n care of my stall so I could smash out tiki which isn't easy at these things.
Finished Watongan tidied up and a coat of vintage teak

Traded him with Robbie for one of his prized one off Augie Colons

Cheers Watango

Been a bit slack with my thread so I thought I better sort this out. Here's a couple of shots of the little guy
finished in the same charcoal as before.

It was a shitty cold winter this year so that slowed things down a tad so next up is a Jarrah
Moai which had a few dodgy cracks in the grain which had me worried so once I was finished
carv'n I taped him up and filled all the cracks from the bottom with a 2patr resin which worked out cool
apart from the fact that it leaked everywhere and I had to sand the whole thing AGAIN, turned out pretty cool tho and worth the extra work.

Got invited to be a feature artist again at Greazefest this year which was fun. Had Robbie(swizzle) join me on the Saturday which was cool.

Carved a Watongan piece over the wk/end inspired by the tongan souvenir tiki's we all know so well,
roughed out the body prior to the show to give myself a headstart.

Did really well over the whole wk/end,sold 4 pieces as well as a shit load of t's and hoodies. Had a rad time dispite the shitty weather.

thanks heaps to Niccy for take'n care of my stall so I could smash out tiki which isn't easy at these things.
Finished Watongan tidied up and a coat of vintage teak

Traded him with Robbie for one of his prized one off Augie Colons

Cheers Watango

DAMM Double post!

C
cy posted on Sat, Sep 20, 2014 10:00 AM

Cool update mate, the Moai is killer!

P

everything looks great bro...

and yeah, your moai's are the sickness...

I also love the moai with the crack, and the jade idol one is bad ass too!
Fastbackadam

H

Love the Jarrah Moai, nice carve and finish.

Thanks guys It's start'n to get a bit warmer now so it's time to get chop'n. work'n on a Marq mask at the moment

I would give my left ventricle for that Moai!

On the Moai with the cracks after the resin, how did you stain it? Even after you sanded it, I'd assume your stain didn't stick to the resin? Fastbackadam

Fastback- The resin dries clear so it pretty much takes on its background colour and as the cracks are thin it takes on an amber tint. looks like sap.

Marquesan Mask carved out of Ash and stained charcoal.
![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/8744/54309730.jpg[/img
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/8744/54309762.jpg)

Haven't posted anything here for awhile so here's a quick update. After carv'n the Watongan tiki at Greazefest I got a lot of interest so I've done a few more which has worked out well, I can do these guys pretty quickly which makes them more affordable.These guys are all around the 18 - 20" mark.

3ft commission for Xmas

work'n on a moai which I'll post some pics of later today.

Cheers

Watango that charcoal marq mask is sweet! Also loving the Moai. Beautiful finish on that one!

D

Damn, I just absolutely love your style. The texture has sort an '8-bit tiki' vibe. Stellar work, as usual...

H

Love your work, keep them coming.

Agree with all of the above Watango...great work. I really love the snarling Maori on the left in the last picture, really cool. Keep 'em coming...inspiring carves!

Cheers Guys for all the comps.
Dhtiki- Not familiar with the term 8bit -tiki but it sounds cool

Conga- The fierce guy is a Haka mug by Gecko, Here it is in green. Sweeeet

Latest Moai Commission carv'd out of a 200 x 200 Kilmdried cypress bollard and stained
Aged teak. This stuff is pretty smelly and I had to walk away from it a few times but comes up a treat and has a fantastic grain.

Cheers

OK....I thought it might be a mug :)
Really nice new Moai as well....working on another one of those myself. He looks
a bit like yours...better make some changes.
Always an interesting thread!

D

I just meant that your textured pieces have kind of a pixellated or 8-bit computer graphics look to them. I really like that.

Also - cool Moai!

T

Awesome moai. I'd love to be to work with some kiln dried logs. Very interesting to see that first moai pic where you have the major features blocked out.

Another Moai carved out of the other half of the bollard.

D

Good lord, that's gorgeous. How far, grit-wise, do you go with sanding? That's some smooth stuff...

120 240 I'm pretty lazy on the sand'n

N

nice! I started a cypress carving its my first one and stopped carving noticing the sanding that will be involved, But another carver incoraged me to finish it God Bless my predessesors

Another Ash Watongan, 3 coats of dark mahogany stain and varnish which I dilute 50% with turps. Log had a nice twist in it which really added to the character of this one.

On 2015-03-08 14:32, Watango productions wrote:
Another Moai carved out of the other half of the bollard.

Sometimes it is keeping it simple, straight lines, smooth curves & a nice piece of wood
and a clear idea of what you are creating, to make exceptional art.

I think you did that here.

I see to many examples on TC of overly thought out, over detailed carvings
that are technically great, but have no real vision or soul, more a showcase of honed skills
rather then focused art.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-03-18 16:19 ]

Love that moai! Great looking carving.

Thanks guys

Hey Guys been awhile since i posted stuff on TC so heres some random pieces i carved over winter.

Cheers Watango

H

Everything looks good.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 463 replies