Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Watango Productions . tiki's by Campbell

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 463 replies

Cheers Dave,Its been pretty cold here so not much carv'n goin on of late.

[ Edited by: Watango productions 2012-06-14 02:00 ]

Just trick'n no tiki here!

P

oh yeah.....winter down there! I almost forgot about that whole southern hemisphere thing...

oh well, drink up!

New banner I had done for Greazefest,I've got T's ot he same design if anyones
interested.

T

On 2012-06-07 19:10, Watango productions wrote:
Here's a better shot out in the yard.

Cheers Watango

Fantastic job Watango. This guy looks very old already.

On 2012-07-19 14:00, Watango productions wrote:
New banner I had done for Greazefest,I've got T's ot he same design if anyones
interested.

Sweet banner!

Finally got my act together and now have Watango t's, the first batch will be head'n to Greazefest with me but
be available online in both guys and cute girlie cut as well.

Also will have Hoodies com'n soon!

Scored some really nice fan palm the other day!

The weather's finally start'n to warm up here so I'll be back out in the yard
carv'n away and be post'n some new stuff !

Cheers Watango

Spent the last weekend at Greazefest carv'n a tiki for my good friend Lori Lee Cash who puts on this huge event ,Man this Festival his huge and it amazes
me how she pulls this off.I received an amazing reception and met so many fantastic people and saw some rad bands as well as a shit load of sweet cars and bikes.
Brisbane turned on some awesome sunshine and being from down south where it been so cold of late this alone was worth the trip.We sold all our tikis and heaps of Tshirts which was awesome! A big thank you also to my amazing partner Becky who with out I would never been able to pull this off!

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/8744/5022f23a.jpg[/img
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/8744/5022f2ac.jpg)

Great carvings
Looks like u had fun

P

very cool!

glad you sold everything....I hope that happens to me one day! lol...

nice one!

Thanks for the comps guys. Here's a few progress pics of my latest piece,hope to try'n
finish this guy tomorrow .

Wow!

That finished tiki in the previous post has an amazing finish on it!
Very nice work!

I love how you get the dark to stay in the tool marks and the lighter finish over the top of it?

Awesome work.

The latest carve is looking great too! Nice beefy chunk of wood! Clean cuts!

I love the shirts. If you get more in stock I'd love to get info on how to order one from you.

Congrats on the great show!!!

THanks Dave for the comps! Ive got some large t's left maybe we can do could do a swap? Do you have any in Blk or Brown send me a pm >Cheers Campbell

Man my gramma's awesome!

Finished piece just wait'n for the usual treatment , burn and sand followed by a few coats of Vintage teak.
This guy will be head'n for the Chopped show where I'll be hav'n a stall and carv'n on the Sunday.

Dude
U rock

Agreed! Really nice tiki, and I love your finishing. U Rock :)

P

looking really nice brother...

top notch...

like the tool marks!

Thanks guys your to kind. Here he is burnt and stained.

Cheers Watango

A
amate posted on Fri, Aug 31, 2012 6:04 PM

That's :tiki:

N

Another great piece...love love love your finishes!!

P

hell yeah!

that is nice.

Big Moai hang'n out at Uncleroccos Barbershop!

Really like the gnarly dude! Are you still rolling these bad boys over an open fire?

Dude
Your colors (burn and stain) rock

Hangtiki- Thanks Dude!

Capt'n- Only when I run out of gas!

My first big fan palm log about to become a full body tiki!

Hi there Watango,

You got some great carves there!
Just a question for you - how did you strip the fronds on that fan palm? I tried a couple of years ago to strip one and gave up in frustration. any tips?
I got a friend who offered me two big fan palm logs, but after my last experience I was hesitant to accept them. 24 hours later and I keep thinking about those big logs.
Anyhow, hope you'll share some wisdom - cheers
STEVE

hey steve I just use a tomahawk but your right it isnt much fun!

[ Edited by: Watango productions 2012-09-08 16:20 ]

A
amate posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2012 5:45 PM

I have absolutely zero experience carving palm but have you guys seen how Jeff in Tampa (aka pjc5150) peels his logs with a chain saw. Seems like a fast and easy method and might be worth a try.

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2012 7:07 PM

I laughed out loud when I saw the Hatchet being unleashed on that poor stick! I have thrown everything at some Palm logs in frustration! Machete, Shaping wheels, Lancelots, chainsaws, Planers..... I reecently picked up a pricey, but, nice drawknife I want to try out.... I have read that they are very effective.

I will share my experiences as this remains to be a valid point of passage for many.

Mahalo!

McTiki

I tried the filet method with the chainsaw ... and the stripping method with the planer... but my favorite de-fronding method is the utility knife to clear the fronds and then the antique drawknife to strip it down! It takes more time, and takes more muscle, but I enjoy the silence of the knife rather than MASSIVE NOISE that comes from the other two methods. Of course, I used to strip logs with an old kitchen carving knife so the drawknife is gold! .... I still have that carving knife, hard to part with it!

P

yep, I was just out front stripping one that size...took me about 20 minutes.

Glad you all got a laugh out of the tomahawk shot, it's effective but hard work so the next one I skin I'll
be go'n with Jeff's method. Here's a shot at the end of day one.

S

Lookin' good so far Campbell.

Kool start

Thanks guys. Day 2 progress shots .

This sure would look good with the legs cut through - maybe even the arms too.

A

You're making it look too easy! :)

You know you get extra credit for
every hole you knock through a Tiki.
Ask CY.

C
cy posted on Thu, Sep 13, 2012 8:04 AM

True story Watango, great work, let there be light!

Thanks guys , this log is still a bit moist in the core so I wont be goin thru on this guy. Palm sure is a whole different ballgame to carv'n
hardwoods and I should of ground off a good extra inch all round and not had to deal with all the hairy crap! Hope'n to finish him today,
heres some pics at the end of day 3.

Cheers Watango

So if you leave the end look'n like this

You end up have to deal with all this crap which I didn't notice on the body as I carv'd straight
thru it.

That's one hairy beast!~

Here he is finished ,burn't and sanded then stained. I reckon he turned out pretty kool .

Cheers Watango

that's way cool. I love the carve but the finish work really makes it pop

Thanks Poobah! Here's a Moai piece i just fininished.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 463 replies