Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

the "Cheater Five"

Pages: 1 9 replies

Picking up the gauntlet from Bamboo Bens post in the TO room crawl thread...

"Something blue with white foam would be radical dude! ( ette" Bamboo Ben

I have created the "Cheater Five" (you long boarders know the reference)

The 5 ingredients are

2oz Cruzan Estate Light
1oz Kahana Royale Macadamia Nut Liqueur
1oz Coco Lopez
2oz 7up (freshly opened can you need the fizz)
1 1/2oz Blue Curacao

So now the fun/hard part

In your shaker the Coco Lopez, Rum, Macadamia Nut and a few ice cubes.
Give a few good shakes to break up the Coco.
Strain into low ball glass.

Now quickly pour the 7up in 1oz shots into the glass so the foaming lifts the coco fat (it should look like whipped cream)

Slowly stick a few ice cubes thru the foam.

Now you need to slide the small funnel in the straw past the foam to add the blue so it doesn't turn the foam blue.

And there you have a Cheater Five!!!!

Yes its a Micky D's glass got a set of 4 from Micky D's Hawaii at the local Goodwill for 99 cents.

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-07-13 06:32 ]

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-07-13 06:33 ]

L

looks yummy

BUT ...please do not drink with all those pills in the background!!

Well it took me a couple of try's to get the foam to rise in the glass for the picture (and I didn't want to waste a non picture perfect cocktail!!!) and I didn't realize the mother in laws med bag was in the background!!!!!!

this will be the 2nd cocktail for my home bar.

M
Murph posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2009 9:49 PM

Definitely going to try this one.

P

Looks good!

I am also working on a frothy blue drink. Not quite ready for prime time yet, though.

How about making the foam using an N2O cannister, like chefs use to make culinary foam and mere mortals use for whipped cream? Could you do it with the coconut cream? Get a blue drink with coconut foam on top?

I'm contemplating foam but haven't actually done it, so these questions are all what-ifs for me at this point. Maybe I'll toodle on down to Williams Sonoma and purchase a cannister to walk the walk instead of talking the talk.

[ Edited by: Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut 2009-07-02 09:38 ]

I never would of thought of that...

This foam thing happend on accident. I was messing around making a different drink awhile back with coco and 7up and was suprised when it foamed all over the counter!!!

When I read what Ben said I thought wow I've got the perfect drink.

I'm still tweaking the measurements so feel free to tell me what you think.

On 2009-07-02 12:06, Beach Bum Scott wrote:
I never would of thought of that...

This foam thing happend on accident. I was messing around making a different drink awhile back with coco and 7up and was suprised when it foamed all over the counter!!!

When I read what Ben said I thought wow I've got the perfect drink.

I'm still tweaking the measurements so feel free to tell me what you think.

Again, off the top of my head, your recipe appears to be very close to a Macadamia Nut Chi Chi (although it more properly would be a Macadamia Nut Pina Colada variation). How does the thing taste without the coco cream in the blue bit? Image-wise, a clear blue section topped with fruity coconut foam sounds appealing. But coco cream in the blue section will ruin the clarity. Using foam could also give you an appealing and clean division between the two sections.

Hmmm....

Are you going to be at TO? Perhaps we can discuss and drink in person.

Funny you should mention the Macadamia Nut Chi Chi I had never heard of one till the other day while listening to the Zen Tiki Lounge Podcast and they did that cocktail.
It sounded pretty good and I do like my Colada's and I like Macadamia Nuts so I figured I would give it a try, it was my introduction to Macadamia nut Liqueur.

I have always been a bit of a cocktail tinkerer. In the past I started mixing rum, coco, Orange Curacao with 7up as a cocktail that is when I learned about the foaming but it won't foam up if you put the ice in first so that was the way I have been making this unnamed drink for a while now.

When I saw Bens post I figured I could make this but use the Blue and the first one I made turned the foam blue. That is why I do the straw and funnel adding it last.
So now I had a blue cocktail with white foam but what to name it???

Being inspired by the theme of TO I wanted it to be a "old school" surf name and while working on the drink I had a surf film in the DVD being a long boarder I was thinking about nose riding terms and "Cheater Five" hit me as a good one.
But what to use as the 5th ingredient and I saw the Macadamia Nut bottle and figured why not.

The taste is similar but not quite like the Chi Chi as it's missing the Pineapple and has the Curacao flavor.

I like the idea of it being clear blue instead of cloudy, in person the drink is a solid blue on the bottom and about an inch up you can see the mix line where the coco/cloud starts. I like the Coco taste in the drink, but haven't tried it as you describe.
Hmmmm.
An excuse/reason to mix another.

I will be at the Oasis and would dig the chance to talk/drink cocktails with you.

To be continued....

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-07-02 19:26 ]

The blue is all clear now and I was able to used crushed ice instead of cubes.
Well it did change the flavor not for the better or for the worse just different.
Now the taste is of Orange Macadamia Nuts but you smell the Coco instead of taste it.

I did change the mix a little.
1oz Blue
2oz rum
1oz Macadamia
2oz 7up

and made the foam in a different glass and spooned on the top (the foam is not as solid)

1oz Coco
1/2oz rum to thin the coco or it wont foam
2oz 7up

Now after a couple of sips I can start to taste the Coco as the foam is settling thru the ice and turning it cloudy blue.

At first presentation it looks and tastes good but after about 5 min it looks and tastes like the first one did.

I guess I could change the name to "Cloudbreak"

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-07-02 20:18 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies