Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What TV shows are you Poly-Popsters watching

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies

NEW SEASON! of Madmen starts Sunday Night! on AMC!
Be there or be square! like L7 man!

Penn and Teller's Bullsh*t!

S

I like watching mine own personal collection of retro television: almost always starting with 1 episode of Mission Impossible, a few Japanese cult themed shows, Tales from the Darkside, Dark Shadows, Scooby Doo (lots of tiki themes herein), Fantasy Island, old VHS travel brochure video footage 1981-93 and anything inbetween.

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" new season tonight!
New "Venture Brothers" started last Sunday!

W

McHale's Navy
I'm showing it to a friend who's never seen it.

New Dexter coming soon. We order Showtime just to watch Dexter, then cancel when it's over. Always watch Futurama, movies on TCM and have been watching old episodes of Sgt. Bilko with Phil Silvers. I grew up with that show so it's a treat. Very funny.

On 2010-07-24 04:21, Club Nouméa wrote:
I am working my way through the first season of The Mod Squad on DVD, and have just watched an episode featuring a scene shot (in 1967) at a Southern Californian beachside tiki art show. The scene is not very long (a couple of minutes), and is incidental to the main plot, but will probably be of interest to folks here.

CN

A Tiki art show in 1967 ? So...Doug Horn and SHAG's kindergarden fingerpaintings were on display ? :P

R

PAWN STARS--PICKERS

On 2010-09-17 13:11, ron-tiki wrote:
PAWN STARS--PICKERS

I like these 2 also.

RIP! Mrs. Blankenship

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-20 05:16 ]

Tonight is the new "Hawaii 5.0" on CBS at 10pm PDT

To be fair to this show, it takes 3 to 5 episodes for a new show to find its footing,so I will go a little easy on it at first.
Post your reviews here...

T

I'm watching tonite !

TM

They had me at "grace park"........ark ark!

On 2010-09-20 18:22, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Tonight is the new "Hawaii 5.0" on CBS at 10pm PDT

To be fair to this show, it takes 3 to 5 episodes for a new show to find its footing,so I will go a little easy on it at first.
Post your reviews here...

I don't think I need 3 to 5 episodes. I hope the rest of tonight's debut surprises the hell out of me.

So that's the new H50
My take....First the good

Using the original Theme song, an updated recording but basically the classic theme!
Opening credits
The Black Mercury Jack Lord drove in the original.
Original HQ building,The Iolani Palace
The Korea opening sequence was good
I did not mind the new cast,Scott Caan, Daniel Dae Kim I liked,did not see enough of Grace Park to form an opinion yet
But Alex O'Loughlin is a bit wooden & flat.
Fast paced, maybe to much so?

The not so good...
One of the biggest characters in the original was Hawaii itself and more Hawaiian shirts!
weak plot,the clues just fall in their laps with no real police work.
Weak and two dimensional Antagonist, I can't blame James Marsters he only has about two minutes of screen time,very under written
really makes me miss Wo Fat!
Super close up fight scenes,you can't tell what the hell is going on! I hate that!

So bottom line it did not suck,get some better writing & it could be good.
needs more character development,no real team dynamic as yet,flesh out the Antagonist.

you can watch it online at CBS.com if you missed it

Glad Big Bang Theory starts tomorrow...been having a lot of fun watching the first season of A-Team over the last month.

So if you missed the new Hawaii Five-0 it is being repeated
on CBS Tonight at 8pm PST, you Central & East Coast watchers check your TV guide!

If you like Bad SciFi movies "Sharktopus" is on SyFy channel tonight
West Coast times PST
6pm SyFy-HD
9pm SyFy channel

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-09-25 14:10 ]

B
Bau posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2010 5:25 PM

I'm watching Gilligan's Island online

the link is on the fan site:

http://www.gilligansisle.com/

Community is a current favorite but I could only stand 5 minutes of Shatner's new show. It is so horrid.

H

Dexter tonight, can't wait.

New Venture Bros tonight
New seasons of Simpson's & Family Guy, Dexter start tonight also!
don't miss Madmen!

Boardwalk Empire really started great last week.
It's going to be a busy TV night.

TK

wow...thanks Bau.

TK

i'm with you ATP, boardwalk empire was good. giddy up cowboy.

Almost forgot to mention new "Metalocalypse" starts tonight also...
now stops copies me!

The "No Reservations" Holiday special that shows the Otto's Shrunken Head footage is on the Travel Channel this Monday. Check your local cable listings.

S

On 2010-09-26 06:48, hiltiki wrote:
Dexter tonight, can't wait.

That show is crack cocaine. Don't read below if you didn't watch the episode that aired on December 5th:

What did you think of Dexter killing Stan Liddy so quick? I was hoping his character would spill over to the next season. I still love the show and think it's probably the best thing on television, but that last episode felt a little like a fantasy whirlwind.

K

The Walking Dead. Pretty good production value for a TV show and they've kept fairly close to the comic book which is nice to see.

I liked The Walking Dead a lot as well. Very glad it is coming back for a second season.
For years now I have watched very little tv, but there have been several shows lately that have hooked me. I never miss an episode of True Blood and can't wait for the new season. The remake of V snagged me because it was somewhat of a sequel to the series from my high school days. They are bringing back the old queen from the 80s in the new season, so that will be fun. Raising Hope is my current favorite-it's so fun and weird and quirky. Pretty good example of modern Southern gothic.

I'm probably one of the few in the world without cable, but I do get RTV and lately I've been watching the Rockford Files. Funny to see now how much stock footage they use in each episode!

Walking Dead, Regular Show, and Transformers:Prime. A very cool reworking of Tranformers on The Hub that does a good job of working in various characters and situations from the live action films, various animated series, and the animated movie. If your a fan of Reanimator, you have to smile that "Herbert West" voices the Autobot doctor.

Two great movies on TCM right now, "Young Man with a Horn" and afterwards "Ace in the Hole"
(my TC namesake) two great movies staring Kirk Douglas.
Same time on the East & West coasts, Watch em!

Waiting for Justified to come back on. Futurama. Etc.

i got myself jonny quest (1964) so working my way through that. also the moonbase showcases star trek the animated series every night and episodes of cheers every 6pm.

btw: anyone remember this show?

[ Edited by: socksoff 2011-09-15 12:20 ]

just saw this on the television demand box. so far so good, but a little over dramatized.

just watched this. i actually "kinda" like it, despite the forced drama, digital planes and overly clean cinematography. much better than playboy club.

Pan Am....

Agreed. I think this show is off to a good start, and isn't it funny shows are now going back in realistic time, versus some emo vampire saga crap!? hahah, so glad the lame fads are fading, and maybe people are going to start developing taste again...

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2011-09-26 00:15 ]

Hot women in vintage styles, the cgi was noticeable but bearable since vintage aircraft are in very short supply, nice vintage cars, vivid colors and clean photography give some of the shots a surrealistic feel to them, some of the storyline was pretty good and captured the time well while other parts of it were a bit out there. All in all I enjoyed it, looking forward to next week.

Bear

No Reservations
Dexter
That's about it. I've heard Mad Men is good, but I work in advertising and really don't want to take it home with me.I'm going to check out this Paranormal Witness thing eventually. Mostly, this time of year I watch horror movies. LOTS of horror movies. Made the transition from tiki season to horror with a horror movie called "Tiki". It was awful, and apparently filmed for about 87 cents, but it kept the guests at my last tiki party laughing.

I am totally locked into "Breaking Bad" right now, all hell is breaking loose!

S

On 2011-09-26 00:11, Tom Slick wrote:
and isn't it funny shows are now going back in realistic time, versus some emo vampire saga crap!? hahah, so glad the lame fads are fading, and maybe people are going to start developing taste again...

the going back in realistic time has a lot to do with the success of 'mad men' so all the networks are trying to capitalize on the "new retro fad". since it won't be back until 2012, there is a race to fill up that gap.

there is also a new "reboot" (what the hell does that even mean?) of 'charlie's angels' but in all honesty, this is one of the worst shows on television- right up there with swill like jersey shore.

Being that we don't have cable or satellite, right now the "must watch" shows are/have been the new Hawaii 5-0, NCIS, Big Bang Theory, Fringe, and The Amazing Race. We also tend to watch So You Think You Can Dance and Hell's Kitchen when available. We have not been opposed to watching NCIS Los Angeles or Criminal Minds and a few of the syndicated shows. Otherwise it's old TV series and movies on Antenna TV, This TV, Me TV, or the Wii (Netflix) or DVDs.

The vast majority of current TV shows and movies suck sweaty donkey balls or we couldn't care less about. We see the promos for TV shows or movies trailers and sometimes in unison say "pass" like our minds are eerily linked.

Bear

Bear, I hope the "We" you refer to is the Mrs. and not an "Alter"

That's me, always looking out for Tiki Centrals mental health......
or..... Am I?

Yes, Chuck. The "We" means myself and the Mrs. (sometimes the son too). I may be pupuli, but I'm not THAT pupuli.

Bear

L
Luki posted on Mon, Sep 26, 2011 9:06 PM

Really excited for the return of "Chuck" soon!

Just watched the "Pan-Am" pilot and was thoroughly entertained. Hoping to see much more in the way of mid-century design out of that one.

Saw the first two eps of "Ringer" and it was decent, but I'm not sure it's got legs.

The season opener of "Fringe" was very good, but we miss Peter :(

Still watching "Doctor Who" although I can't really warm up to The Doctor as much as I'd like. Amy Pond, on the other hand...

Been watching "Smallville" on DVD. Ridiculously cheesy, but also charming and enough sci-fi to be fun.

Got Season 6 of "Supernatural" for my birthday, along with Season 1 of "Mad Men" but haven't cracked open either yet.

Recorded tonight's premiere of "Terra Nova" (or as I like to call it, "Jurassic Park: The Series") but haven't watched it yet.

Missed "Person of Interest"'s pilot (dagnabbit...did anybody catch it?? was it any good?? better than last year's J.J. Abrams stinker I hope?!)

[ Edited by: Luki 2011-09-26 21:28 ]

Catch Next weeks "The Layover" Anthony Bourdain's new show on the Travel Channel
Next Monday he is off to San Francisco & The Tonga Room!!!

Yes, the Tonga Room gets some T.V. Love!

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-01-02 23:33 ]

thanks for the heads up Chuck,
I usually watch that show,
will have to set the DVR or look for the replay.

Jeff(btd)

Tomorrow, Tonga Room on the Layover!

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/san-franciscos-tiki-bar

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-01-08 21:09 ]

Got all 4 seasons of Doc Martin for Christmas. I great quirky British series.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies