Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What TV shows are you Poly-Popsters watching

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies

J

While I'm at it, check out these other cool intro themes by Barry Gray (who did the UFO theme).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASvBTqfTrzA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06cNv55jTs

Yes, UFO was cool but this was even cooler.

These were the shows that kids watched in the early 60's while their parents were getting sloshed at the neighborhood Tiki bar.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-09-14 23:25 ]

On 2009-09-14 22:41, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Yes the Venture Brothers is the Best show on Adult Swim, if you disagree I will get my Magic Murder Bag!
David Bowie is the "Sovereign" leader of the "Guild of Calamitous Intent"
Got it! don't make me call Dr. Girlfriend!

Don't forget Iggy Pop and Klaus Nomi as Bowie's henchmen.

Burn Notice
Psych
Monk
Old Movies (Film Noir mostly)

(DVD) 007 series & Hawaii 5-0

Defying Gravity

O.K. just my opinion here, but Battlestar Galactica kicks Defying Gravity's ass all over the place, I mean it made it, it's Bitch.
I'm just saying.....

VampiressRN, I am a huge fan of Noir, list some of your favorites?

Buying on line is so easy that we are watching DVD's of:

Hawaiian Eye that is set at the (Hilton) Hawaiian Village with the Shell Bar

Adventures in Paradise

77 Sunset Strip

All shows from our childhood.

Current shows: Survivor and the Great Race

Waiting for CSI Las Vegas, The Mentalist and Fast Forward

Wendy

J

On 2009-09-19 09:17, danlovestikis wrote:
Buying on line is so easy that we are watching DVD's of:

Hawaiian Eye that is set at the (Hilton) Hawaiian Village with the Shell Bar

77 Sunset Strip

Wendy

Question: Does 77 Sunset Strip have much location shooting of late 50's / early 60's LA? Also in Hawaiian Eye, does it show what early 60's Waikiki looked like (other than the Hilton)?

I'd love to see some authentic local flavor but it seems that most TV shows of that time were filmed at the studio.

Thanks

J

On 2009-09-19 03:47, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
VampiressRN, I am a huge fan of Noir, list some of your favorites?

Atomic Tiki Punk,

You want to talk Film Noir? I started a new thread for that in "Beyond Tiki". Actually this thread probably belongs there too. :)

Check out "JOHN-O's Film Noir Thread" and share your feedback.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33987&forum=6&0

JOHN-O

Cool John-O, I want to go to there.......now....

John-O, your on the Mark there, Billy Wilder was a driving force, Ace in the Hole is at the top of my list
Great, great movie, I do consider it Noir because of the Narrative, dialog & subject matter, Chuck Tatum was Kirk's best role
in my opinion, although "Detective Story" is very close.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-19 20:43 ]

Noir & Hardboiled Detective movies had some of the very best dialog, also The Big Heat, The Big Clock I would add to the list
pretty much any title with the word "Big" in it!

Yes to both questions. We have not finished Hawaiian Eye but it's been all over Oahu so far. We just started disc one of 77 Sunset Strip and it had lots of street scenes. Both are good time capsules and fun. Wendy

Last night's Madmen Rocked, I mean old school, heavy on the beat, rocked!

So have you watched any new season shows, any worth a mention here ?

Flashforward has an interesting concept,I will see if it go's anywhere.
Most of the new Sitcoms are crap....

HJ

None.

'Gave it up (no time) when in grad school 20 years ago and have not missed it since.

Well Flashforward has turned into a soap, not going anywhere interesting, Venture Bros Rocks, Madmen finished the season on a high note, Fringe has turned into the X-Files in a good way, V, well nothing new there, but with better actors.

Dexter is still good, John Lithgow is doing a great job.

Looking forward to Band of Brothers:The Pacific......

Yeah, Dexter was pretty tense last night. John Lithgow does a good crazy. And I thought my Thanksgiving's were a little nuts.
I've kinda been into Lie to Me, on Fox after House. It's pretty much the same 'ole thing, but I like Tim Roth.
Agree with Atomic T, I can't even watch sitcoms anymore. Not for the last ten yrs. or so.

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2009-11-23 15:27 ]

Last nights Dexter was a great episode!

Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations new season starts tonight
7pm west coast time on Travel channel HD, then repeated a couple more times after.

check your TV listings if you are not on the west coast

K

In no particular order...
Except my #1: Dr Who
True Blood
Robot Chicken
Big Bang Theory
Any/All Classic old movies on TCM

K.

UFO video

I can't tell if this scene is better with or without context - but it is an early precursor to TV's ENHANCE! solution to various image problems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04z5tDR6nDU#t=3m30s

Go team venture!

right now i'm really into it's always sunny in philadelphia. that show is so freaking hilarious!

The Six Million Dollar Man... No, it's true..

Black Sabbath visits Hawaii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLlPF2vR9gg

The Kids In The Hall: Death Comes To Town

Watch episodes here (probably only works in Canada)

I recently found this cartoon while watching television with my niece.

http://www.qubo.com/willa_show.asp

She (my niece) doesn't understand it (yet), she likes the animals in it. I like that it's drawn in a modernist/abstract style, plus the main character and her father live in a MCM home. I want to say I read this cartoon was based on the book "An octopus followed me home". Anyways, I figured if any of you had kids, you might want to know about it. I thought it was cute.

[ Edited by: unkle john 2010-01-27 11:26 ]

A8

On an episode of Overhaulin' where the woman whose car they redo is into Tikis.

[ Edited by: Agent 86 2010-01-26 17:02 ]

W

Darna and the Pinoy TV edition of Family Fued on GMA.

That's about it, I don't do much current television.
The irony of it is I work at a TV/radio station.

So the new season of "Lost" premiered tonight.
I know alot of TCers watched, Time for the feedback.

New Sarah Silverman Tonight on comedy central!

This may be of interest

Flat People, Deep Thoughts
Ricky Gervais returns to HBO as a 2-D philosopher
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703315004575073273614014284.html?mod=WSJ_hp_editorsPicks

M

Not caring much for TV anymore, I've been digging all the old episodes of late 50s era Highway Patrol starring the great Broderick Crawford on http://www.fancast.com

MT, watched the new Ricky Gervais show, got to say it bored the hell out of me.
it sure has been a bit boring for TV as of late, Lost has the concurrent narrative which if handled right can be interesting, well see?
The Sara Silverman show is really twisted & funny, Looking forward to the new season of Breaking Bad.

Well I would say for the most part the lost series finale pretty much jumped the shark for me,though it had some fine character
moments,but since the show started as a mystery,I expected "some" answers to all the plot points/machinations
but in the end many things just made no sense whatsoever.

What did all of you think?

The best show this year was Breaking Bad! just a great show.

Like a lot of folks here, I'm waiting for Mad Men to return for season 4. And, of course, I never get tired of watching episodes of the original "Twilight Zone."

As for other shows I'm keeping up with, I'm waiting for "Supernatural" and the re-imagined "V" series to return from hiatus.

B

I'm back to Burn Notice - I LOVE Michael's mom's (Sharon Gless) place. I'm creating that effect (minus the ciggy smoke - even though I DO smoke!) in my living room.

For people into the SHAG look (like me) there's a cartoon on this station called QUBO where this little girl has a yard full of exotic animals that all talk to her - but it's drawn in the mid-century modern look. I don't watch very often but it's cute and fun to look at the backgrounds!

Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations new season started last Monday on the Travel Channel ,Be sure to watch out for a upcoming
episode where he go's to NY's Otto's Shrunken Head! I will see if that is listed on his website yet.

Rescue Me is on its second new show of the summer,Last episode was very funny!

T
twitch posted on Fri, Jul 9, 2010 7:40 PM

Man, Denis Leary's gotta stop that lip-pursing habit. Dude's got the mouth of an 80-year-old!

Trying out "Persons Unknown". Group of people with iffy pasts trapped in an empty town they can't leave. Acting is not up there in quality but it's mildly interesting.
WAS watching "Happy Town" but it got axed quick. Too dark, quirky, I guess.

The new episodes of Futurama on Comedy Central have been very funny, I think the new venue
is allowing for an edgier show and it's helping!

1,000 Ways to Die!

Spike TV
and It's awesome!

One I haven't seen mentioned here is Corner Gas - the whole series was really enjoyable. I don't know if WGN is still showing it at all, and the DVDs can be harder to come by in the US, but I'd say it's worth seeking out. One of very few shows ever to actually make me laugh out loud.

I'm also a sucker for Good Eats, even though I don't cook at all.

Z
zond2 posted on Mon, Jul 12, 2010 9:00 PM

"New Tricks"
BBC crime show

Madmen is good, but I've really been getting into watch NetFlix on demand. They've got some great old shows like Peter Gunn and the Avengers.

Deal Alert!

Amazon.com has the "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: The Complete Series" DVDs in a attache case set
for $85.49 today only this is half the price I payed for it,the last time it was on sale.
this is one of my all time favorite spy shows!

Here is a link for you: http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox?ref_=pe_36900_16241990

Just a heads up on a great deal, enjoy!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-07-15 13:42 ]

I am working my way through the first season of The Mod Squad on DVD, and have just watched an episode featuring a scene shot (in 1967) at a Southern Californian beachside tiki art show. The scene is not very long (a couple of minutes), and is incidental to the main plot, but will probably be of interest to folks here.

CN

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies