Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Atomic Tiki Punk makes stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies

:tiki: I just started doing some wood working, with a few tips & alot of inspiration from Bamboo Ben
So I made this 8x10 wall shelf to fill in a gap on one of my walls.:tiki:
I am ready for some critical remarks, what say you?

how it fits in to the rest of the Decor....

Now Punk & Tiki mix well, like a Mai Tai with attitude.
But what do I know? I am just a punk with a Mai Tai.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-12-04 18:46 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-12-04 18:47 ]

I say not bad at all.I applaud you for taking on this project on your own.
I would have done one light coat of varnish over the torched burned wood though.
What the varnish does is seals the wood after you burn it, and gives it a nice
patina.If you want this done PM and I will do it at no charge for you since I
am in the middle of restoring a vintage bar requiring alot of varnish work.

G

This is a a great idea.
I like the smaller scale to handle the shot glasses.

The white walls don't do it justice.
I would like to see how it fits in with the rest of the room.

Thanks, I did apply a light stain & sealed it with semi gloss varathane, hard to notice in the pictures, but your right a different finish might look better?
As for the flat white walls in my place, I rent, so I am stuck with boring paint in my House, I would very much like to do a Mid-Century
color pallet here.

Thanks for your input, Thanks 1961surf for the offer also.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-03 12:38 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-03 12:38 ]

L

I think you did an awesome job and the finish is fine.

And the leopard print is a great background :)

L

i love this, it looks awesome

G
gonzo posted on Thu, Sep 3, 2009 1:32 PM

Great shelf. But the white walls dont work with tiki. Try a green or orange.

Here is how it looks in the whole room, the wife had to jump in to add some color.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-03 18:18 ]

Great job! I'll take 4 :)

B

Nice job on the shelf PunK!! I've been wanting to make some picture frames similar to that, just need to buy a router.... and some wood.... glue, nails etc... hummm... ya someday... I like your decor, very nice Doug Horne rocks!!

Thanks alot for the kind words, and on the white paint in the room, well I rent, so I am stuck with the color for now, maybe,just maybe
I can cover it all up with Doug Horne Decor....

RH

I like the small scale of the shelf too. The notch details really sell it.

And what nice digs you have.

Robb, I looked at your Velvets, Looking very nice......

paint the walls!!!

you can repaint before you leave.

white is just not right!!

blahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :(

Hi Ben, I know! I hate the white room!!!!!! I have been putting pressure on the Landlord to let me change the color
Would look so much better with some color.

one caveat, the opposite wall is wood panel which I kinda like, here is a pic, hope the rest of you can forgive the white paint.

wood good!

Yes...Yes...wood iiiiissssss good.....

Seriously: WHITE IS NOT RIGHT.

G

You could also do straw matting on the wall.
I rent too and I can only paint my walls Navajo white.

Nice mug display.

Well my new TikiFarm mugs showed up today & I need a new shelf to put them in, Back to bulding again.

I got around to making a few new things in the same sytle as the first shelf...All props go to Bamboo Ben, this is clearly inspired by his style.

I needed a couple of new frames for some Doug Horne prints...

Also I wanted to mount a couple of masks in a custom frame....

And last I needed a new Mug Shelf for those new Tiki Farm mugs...

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-18 01:24 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-18 01:26 ]

The wood is finished and sealed, hard to see on the frames, please no more comments on the white walls.
I will post a picture with the Mugs in the self for a finished look,soon.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-18 11:37 ]

here's a suggestion..don't know if anyone mentioned it...years ago, when i used to rent, i had white walls in the tiki room too...i found a way around it by going to the salvation army and buying as many bamboo matchstick roll down curtains they had....i hung these on the walls, dead center according to size...next, i hung my masks and tiki displays over the top of it...it made all the difference in the world. when the time came to move, all i had to do was patch a few holes...no paint, no mess.

..forgot to mention, cut all the strings and remove the roller mechanism from the curtains..you won't need them...otherwise it looks like you just slapped a curtain up on the wall...without them in the way it looks like a concious design decision....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-09-18 13:39 ]

Thanks Mr. McStagger,

As per supreme Landlord request, I am unable to make any paint or covering of the paint upgrades, hey he is the guy that says so...
So we make the best of it, don't want to piss off the supreme landlord, now if he was the Jack Lord of Landlords, we would be the Bees Knees.
Since this thread is about my amature wood working projects, please feel free to critique them all you want.
So no more white wall talk you people, pleaaaaase....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-18 14:39 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-18 14:40 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-19 03:36 ]

Hey Punk... Your shelf and frames are great.. I'm going to need to be making something similar..
aloha

Atomic Tiki Punk, I think your frames are great. Please send one to me, Do it now! I will even let you pay for shipping! Yes? A 12" x 18" opening would work well. Looking forward! Please PM me and I'll reply with my shipping address.

Hey Thanks you guys, I will send everyone stuff, just PM your credit card info to me, ahhhhhhh...
I mean...you need to get your own frames, cause.....I...been collecting frames before you where born.....Yea...cause I am king of frames & shelves, worship me.....now....

Sorry, I got full of myself for a moment, better now, is it good to seal & finish wood in an enclosed space...Look it's a pink cat driving a car......

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-19 03:34 ]

Hakalugi
Your frame will be in the mail on Monday, enjoy!

I feel like Oprah! and you get a frame, and you get a Frame! every body look under your chairs right now!

Update: OK here is the latest shelf with some mugs, I decided my bobblehead Moai needed a shelf too....
My God I am driven to make shelves for everything! I must be Maddddddd!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-19 22:49 ]

:tiki:My Wife had this nice vintage nude island girl tie rack, she wanted to display, say no more, I had a free Sunday afternoon so I went to work
I made a shadowbox frame, inserted the figurine but it was to sparse so I made a mini frame with a CocoJoe Moai to fill the space, I think it works well....:tiki:

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Sep 21, 2009 7:59 AM

Delicious!

now I need to start carving my own stuff to put in the frames, I just can't stop with the wood working, Hey thanks Bamboo Ben.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-09-22 01:43 ]

On 2009-09-19 00:32, Hakalugi wrote:
Atomic Tiki Punk, I think your frames are great. Please send one to me, Do it now! I will even let you pay for shipping! Yes? A 12" x 18" opening would work well. Looking forward! Please PM me and I'll reply with my shipping address.

On 2009-09-19 03:31, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hakalugi
Your frame will be in the mail on Monday, enjoy!

Atomic Tiki Punk you totally rock! I wasn't really expecting that you would send me a free frame... This is way cool! Thank you so much!

beautiful frame

Hakalugi
Enjoy your frame, what are you going to put in it?

On 2009-09-25 11:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hakalugi
Enjoy your frame, what are you going to put in it?

A nice matted print of the Bay Park Buzzy pinup! What else?

In situ:

The Bay Park Buzzy pinup is hot (at least hotter than if it were of me!).

ATP - very nice piece. I think it's one of the coolest things I've seen recently. LLLLLOVVVVE ITTT!

I am worried that you may be trying to hi-jack my thread here, it is hard competition.

Thanks Robb, you are a "Gentleman Artist" (spoken in a French accent) of the highest order....

Got around to a few more projects, My wife wanted a wall mount wine rack, I know who needs wine when you got Mai Tai's
Here is the Wall Rack I slapped together....

Next I wanted to mount one of those funky Moai lamps, I think all of us have, in a shadow box frame, I thought I would try a Witco look on this one, so I burned the layers, then scrapped with a wire brush to get the wood grain to show.
I need more practice with this style.

Last I needed a base for one of my Moai's....

That's it for this weeks crafts, back to work.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-10-05 03:40 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-10-05 03:42 ]

I will post new stuff very soon.

About time to post new stuff....
First up I made a custom display shelf for my Enchanted Tiki Room Stacker Mug...

Wes gave me a Bamboo frame, Had some of those CocoJoe Moais, a little Leopard print fabric background, cut out a new backboard, throw it all together and here it is...

I wanted a Barstool to match our Bamboo Ben Bar,I think it matches pretty well...

Just took some scrapes of thatch & Bamboo, a Bamboo Curtain & a Doug Horne Shield to dress up a plain looking entry way...

Took this Mug Shelf I built earlier & installed LED track lights, these are really cool, they cycle threw 5 colors, have 4 program modes
look sharp in a dark room, from Ikea of all places.
They would look great under a Tiki Bar top etc...

I did paint a wall just for Ben, see....

Thats it for now.....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-12-04 23:35 ]

Wow, what a swank pad! I'm ready to move it!

We will just prepair the guest room for you Brad, now wear did we leave the vacuum?

Brad, I am planning on making a shelf/Frame for your Diga Do print & Tiki Farm Mug.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-12-05 01:16 ]

Mr. DIY

your pad looks very TOGETHER!

C

On 2009-10-05 03:39, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Got around to a few more projects, My wife wanted a wall mount wine rack, I know who needs wine when you got Mai Tai's
Here is the Wall Rack I slapped together....

Your house is looking great! and look at the boys, they look so happy at the wine rack awwww, i love when I get to see where they live now, specially when I see them happy like that :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies