Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Atomic Tiki Punk makes stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies

Looks good ATP. Did you make the stools or modify existing ones? Actually making stools would be a pain in the butt. When making a table I found out that you can NEVER get all 4 legs the same length no matter how carefully you measure. That's why whoever invented the three-legged stool was a genius, it's always stable (plus, you can't tip it backwards when you've had to much to drink :lol: )

Hi Mike,
I started with those "naked wood stool kits" and just cut it down to the size I wanted,
cheaper then just buying wood for a chair also, sand,stain & finish, cut and stain bamboo inlay
more work went into making the cushion.

A cheap & simple way to make your own Bar Stools.

Made some more stuff, I sold a few sets of these at BambooBens Garage sale & I liked them so much I made a set for my House.
I did four individual shelves that I could stagger on the wall.

ATP, you must have took a few days off. Buildin' shelves & spiffin' the yard :D

It's all good.

Made a custom frame for Doug Horne's "Diablo Tiki" print.
I wanted to go the more traditional Tiki style, so I carved a basic tapa pattern into the wood.

This is something I made a year or two ago, but have not posted a pic of.

It's a Tiki Potting Bench...

dang!
and you can cook?

what a catch!

great creations there Lance!
and what a classy pad!

Awesome ATP! Love seeing your creativity flow.

A

That is the cutest potting bench evar! Those plants look happy.

Now. what's for dinner?

Another Project I did some time ago was make these Mid-Century Modern style
benches & matching planter.

Nice looking set. What do you plan to do with that pile of walrus tusks in the lower right corner?

Its a palm leaf,MDM, I had to go back outside to see what the hell it was.

:D

W

Nice looking benches ATP. Your outdoor space looks great and very inviting.

Chris

O.K. you guys have to let me know if this is too cheesy,be honest now.

I have been looking for an indoor mini fountain for the Atomic Tiki Lounge,I have not been able to find
anything that would look good with Tiki Decor?

So I put this together, I started with an Asian waterfall Fountain I found at the Orange County fair
took off all the Asian decor and with hot glue gun in hand glued Moai & a plastic palm tree I had.
Got a cheap waterproof color shifting LED from the web (I did try a water mist maker, but it made to much of a mess)

Set it on a plate with lava rock and a little cement Ku
Mrs. ATP loves it, but I am still on the fence with this one?

I think it's pretty cool. I think maybe it might benefit from some "greenery" just behind.

Looks great! The plastic palm trees look a little "plastic" Any way to replace them with the lottle live ones Walmart and Lowes sell in the little pots?

Thanks for the input! the fountain is only a little over a foot high,so it's not very big
I will see if I can find better looking miniature plants, maybe a trip to Michael's (Mrs.ATP loves that store)
will be in order, the palm I used does look very plastic.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-08-24 11:40 ]

In daylight it looks cheesy...But so do a lot of cool bar interiors when the lights come up.

With the colored lights on in the low light it looks really swell, even sort of epic.

A

Cheesy Goodness! I agree with Mike- some fresh plants would take it over the top.
I've never seen a fountain of that nature before! Score 1 for you.

W

I like it!

Chris

Well thanks for the input & that is the nicest thing woofmutt has ever said to me,Thanks Woof!
If I can improve this sucker I will post some more pics.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-08-26 00:04 ]

H

It looks fine just the way it is, it has a vintage look to it.

I concur, it is a fine fountain sir! Do you have any particular method for "toasting" the wood for your projects and what grit sandpaper do you use? I'm working on a shelf and am curios about your technique.

[ Edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2010-08-26 23:00 ]

I think the fountain is a blast, especially the lighting.

This makes me wonder what you could do with a nice geode as a starter...

Thanks Robb, I sure would like to see one of our ultra craftsmen make a really cool Tiki fountain?

C

Being a newcomer (well lurker for a few weeks) I actually just read through the whole thread, and I have to say top notch work. I'm rather fond of the fountain, especially your use of lighting. One small addition might be to replace the fake palms with an Anthurium or some other rock-attaching plant that has reasonable care requirements. Just a though.

On 2010-08-25 23:55, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
I concur, it is a fine fountain sir! Do you have any particular method for "toasting" the wood for your projects and what grit sandpaper do you use? I'm working on a shelf and am curios about your technique.

[ Edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2010-08-26 23:00 ]

Hi ErkNoLikeFire, well I just go from a large grit sandpaper, then Medium, and last a fine grit, all depends on the wood you are using, I mostly work in pine.

I use a hand propane torch to burn the wood, get some scraps of wood and just burn along the grain
you will start to get the hang of it & start seeing patterns in each piece of wood you burn.
go easy at first as you can over burn the wood.

Be very careful with the torch and work outside away from combustible materials!

Thanks! I will most definitely practice before I start my next project. I rent so shelves and art will go a long way to getting my house the way I want without scaring the landlord.

ErkNoLikeFire,I am diggin the Buckaroo Banzai reference.

"Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."
"Laugha while you can monkeyboy."
"Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is."

hehe
"Why is there a watermelon there?" "Don't ask"
“Mr. President, I am a soldier. And I'm a damn good one…I am scared. I'm barely holding my... fudge, right now”

"The Declaration of War: the short version"

It is one of my all time favorite movies

Great fun to view, thank you for sharing.

looks like yaws be havin' big FUN creating!

C
ccain posted on Sun, Sep 12, 2010 1:58 AM

WOW! Beautiful stuff A.T.!!!

Someone was asking me about my frames a while ago, let me know if I did not get back to you?

P

I know this is digging way into the thread, but where did the Digga Digga Doo painting come from? The only mug my wife wants is that one, and I would love to find that painting too.

That's our very own Brad Parker, I think you can still get one
go here for more info: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=21212&forum=18&start=2835

Something new!

How to make a "Bamboo Partition"

I started with a section of 4' X 6' Bamboo fencing

Then using 1" X 2" pine strips, built a basic frame to fit the Bamboo

Then I use the 1" X 2" Pine strips to frame the sides of the frame

One side done, now flip it over...

Drop the Bamboo into the frame & drill holes on the top & bottom of the Bamboo about every foot, Fasten with screws & nail strips onto the frame to enclose it.

Cut 2, 2' sections of 2" X 4" for the legs & set screws to hold them firmly in place.

That's the basic partition, now lets finish it.

Used a hand torch to burn highlights & bring out the grain of the pine.

Give the frame a nice sanding, apply a wood stain of your choice
and seal with a good wood sealant.

Now for that extra touch, you can mount a Tiki mask or whatever floats your boat
on the partition for that little extra touch, here is what I used.

And what it looks like in place.

Cocktail time!

P.S. Sand the wood before you burn the grain, got a little ahead of the steps.

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-12-05 16:53 ]

W

That is nice, how much to ship that to me? :)

2 Dollars! it will cost ya 2 Dollars!

W

:) Would you take a twenty? That's all I gots in me wallet.

That turned out nice Chuckster. What happens if you torch the bamboo a little too?

I like the look of those little torch marks at the joints of the Bamboo, Mike
and for anyone wanting to do that, just remember to do it before you seal the Bamboo
otherwise you got FIRE! a flaming partition of fire.

You can see the look of torched highlights on Bamboo that I did for my Mug Shelf here
on this thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=41464&forum=20&start=15

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-12-06 15:39 ]

So you have a vintage piece of furniture you want to restore?
Well here is how.....

I got this "Broyhill Brasilia Triple Dresser" from my good friend Brent "CalTiki"
but it was not in the best condition.

So what do you need to get started:

Stripper- I recommend " Citristrip" does not have the toxic chemicals other strippers use, nor the bad smell.
Paint Thinner/Mineral Spirits for cleanup, you can also use denatured alcohol
cheap Paint Brush
container to pour stripper in to.
Steal wool Med. Grade
Heavy duty rubber gloves
Small set of wire brushes
Metal or plastic Scraper
Clean rags or cheesecloth

Do this outside! put down a plastic sheet or groundcloth

Step 1: Remove all drawer pulls, Hinges, Hardware, doors & drawers etc.

Step 2: Put on the rubber gloves as these chemicals can damage your skin
Apply a thick coat of stripper to the wood surfaces you are working on
In most cases 15 to 30 Minutes will let the stripper do it's thing, Don't let it dry completely
But you can always apply another coat of stripper to soften up the first coat
Remove as much paint or vanish as you can with a scraper
Edges,Corners,Bevels & hard to get to places require you to dip steel-wool into the stripper & work it with your hands
(Like the ornate doors on this dresser, See third photo) you may have to repeat the process for full removal of varnish etc.

Using a clean rag & the Paint Thinner/Mineral Spirits to wipe down & remove any residual stripper from the furniture.
You may need the wire brushes, Toothpicks etc. to cleanup those small crevices, cracks etc.
Let dry for 24 hours before the next stage

Now we are ready for the refinishing part.
You will need:

Sand paper 120 & 220 grit
A Finishing sander is ideal for this job
Fine steel wool
Clean cloth for wiping down wood after sanding

With this particular piece of furniture I ran into a unique problem as the Broyhill Dresser is constructed out of
Plywood covered with walnut veneer,So I had to be very careful sanding this & would have limited ways to repair gouges etc.
if at all.

Step 3: First sand with 120 grit sandpaper to smooth scratches & dents etc.
Then sand again with 220 grit sandpaper to get a fine smooth finish.
wipe down with a clean dry cloth to remove wood dust etc.

Now we are ready to stain the furniture if you want to at this stage
You will need:

Cheap brushes
A wood stain of your choice, I recommend an oil stain for a better even finish,but you can use water base if that is your preference.
I used Minwax "Gunstock" color oil stain for this project.
Clean dry rags for wiping down thick areas etc.

Step 4: Apply a coat of wood stain to surfaces,wipe down with a clean rag to remove uneven areas of stain etc.
You can apply a second coat if you choose for a darker stain, Let dry over night.

Last stage: Finish & seal wood

You will need:
Your choice of wood seal, Varnish, Wood oil, Polyurethane coating etc.
I used Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane satin finish as this was my only option with the wood veneer finish on the Broyhill Dresser
A top quality "fine Bristle" finishing brush, Don't scrimp here as this is how you get a clean finish
Very fine steel wool
Clean rags

Time to apply that finishing coat, I started with one coat of "Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane satin finish"
I let it dry for 2 hours, gave it a light sanding with the steel wool, Wiped down with a clean cloth
then gave it a second coat, Then I let dry overnight and repeated the next day for a total of 4 coats of finish.

I reassembled the dresser (The door pulls are missing as they are still getting a new copper plate finish)
And here is how it looks now.....

I will post a final picture when I get the door pulls back.

Beautiful piece of furniture ATP and nicely refinished. I don't know about the citrus based stripper but I met a rose covered stripper and boy was she HOT! Umm, what I meant to say is that the non-citrus, solvent based paint strippers are "hot", they burn like crazy if you get them on your skin :D

ATP Laugh! MDM! I want a special emoticon for this.

At last got the hardware back from the metal platers
I went with a copper finish, So here it is all finished.

ATP-a handyman with taste....
:)
great work!
it looks Ultra-Swank!

T

This is nice Great Job!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies