Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Atomic Tiki Punk makes stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies

LLT, Thanks as always, I can't seem to remember the last thing we were talking about, something about cough syrup? ahhh, now its gone?

Clarita, I had to put the most awsome Tiki candles ever made, in a great spot, I don't think we will ever light one, so they can be around forever, I will have to go back to your thread to see what you have been up to as of late, Thanks!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-12-05 15:24 ]

A couple of new but small projects done...

So what do you do with those Tiki Pendants you are forced to wear around your neck, because you don't have any place else to display them?
Why you make a hanging display shelf like this one....

I needed to make a new frame to match the others I have been cranking out lately, so one more done...

:drink: Well thats it for today....you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here, drive carefully now. :drink:

Diga Diga Doo print and mug shelf?!?!?
Oh that's exactly why I wanted to make that mug! How cool! Seems like you are going to make that happen be fore me... and you'll probally do a better job at it looking at ll you other great work!

Thanks Brad,
I am designing it my head, I have been thinking Mid-Century modern style is the way to go, but my jungle/Tiki style could work to.

On 2009-12-04 23:32, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
About time to post new stuff....
First up I made a custom display shelf for my Enchanted Tiki Room Stacker Mug...

Wes gave me a Bamboo frame, Had some of those CocoJoe Moais, a little Leopard print fabric background, cut out a new backboard, throw it all together and here it is...

I wanted a Barstool to match our Bamboo Ben Bar,I think it matches pretty well...

Just took some scrapes of thatch & Bamboo, a Bamboo Curtain & a Doug Horne Shield to dress up a plain looking entry way...

Took this Mug Shelf I built earlier & installed LED track lights, these are really cool, they cycle threw 5 colors, have 4 program modes
look sharp in a dark room, from Ikea of all places.
They would look great under a Tiki Bar top etc...

I did paint a wall just for Ben, see....

Thats it for now.....

Love u're tikilicious stuff and living-room!'
It's very inspiring!
Great colour you have chosen for your walls, way cool!
Hope u're doing well and if you did some new improvements, hope you'll share it here :D
Tikisweet greetings from the Netherlands!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-12-04 23:35 ]

Thanks Tiki-Vivi ,
Nice having more oversea's members posting.

On 2010-01-28 01:46, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Thanks Tiki-Vivi ,
Nice having more oversea's members posting.

:D :wink:

I really needed to get this great Brad Parker print ready to hang
I just made a basic frame as to not take away from the art.

Great work! I really dig what you've done with the frames, shadow boxes, and all. Your place looks really great. Where do you find the bamboo material you made the wine rack out of? Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks whiskeyblood,
I cheated with the bamboo rack, it was a prebuilt one I just cut down, drilled to fit properly in the box I built for it.
Then I torched & antiqued it to look older.

I was getting all my raw Bamboo material from House of Tiki, who are no longer in business, I don't get to see Wes & Pua much these days.

On 2009-09-27 12:03, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2009-09-25 11:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hakalugi
Enjoy your frame, what are you going to put in it?

A nice matted print of the Bay Park Buzzy pinup! What else?

In situ:

Dude! That's just revolting....... Remind me not to look through your post anymore....lol

http://www.facebook.com/ToddA.McClurg?ref=profile
If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything

[ Edited by: Tikilizard 2010-02-03 13:00 ]

On 2010-01-30 18:21, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I really needed to get this great Brad Parker print ready to hang
I just made a basic frame as to not take away from the art.

WOW! That's soooo cool! I'm honored you've done such a beautiful framing job! Thanks for posting that. It looks great... (not as great as the hunky kane in the speedos, but darned good!)

Big Mahalo!

Many Thanks Brad! now we will see how the Digga Doo Frame/Shelf comes out.

OK changed it up a bit, I wanted to frame Doug Horne's Devil Girl print because it needs to get on my wall! now.
I used a stock frame that I think goes better with this particular print, Then I made a custom Mat using leopard print fabric

The print just needed the leopard border, it was a moral imperative that had to be done.

Very Swanky ATP!

Many Thanks MDM! here it is in context.....

I have been playing around with cement for awhile
been making these Moai for the back yard, all free form & no molds so they look a bit rough.

ATP, nice texture and color - very stone-like. I had tried concrete with black and white aquarium gravel to get a stone look but I wasn't impressed - care to share your secret? :D

Rather impressive for free-form without a mold - delicate balance of just the righ consistency to sculpt. Did you put a finish of some sort on it?

MDM,
Its a bit tricky as you have to let the cement dry enough so it will hold its shape
but then you are on the clock & have to haul ass, because you have maybe 30 or 40 minutes to sculpt before it is set.

Yes I used fast setting cement & finished it with one of those stone paint finishs & varnish
looks good but outside, weathers quickly.

I may have to start playing with an acid finish to get a better weathering effect.

I did not make anything new today!

TK

man..thats all nice as hell. i have no talent or skill at that at all.

A

And a HELLA cook, too!!

Thanks! Amy & Talo....

Great room and great woodwork Atomic!

really impressive work ATP. Your place looks great!

swank pad!

Thanks Brad! I have been working all weekend on the Digga Doo Shelf project, I finally had a bit of free time.
But did take time out last night to go to Don the beachcomber.

I will post pictures in the next few days, Thanks to all of you for your kind comments!

Got it done! here is a step by step....

The Project is to make a combo frame & shelf for these....

First up is to build the frame,add some notches...

Next a nice sanding, then cut out a backboard...

torched in some details,then a dark stain...

Then sand it all down so we can see the pine grain, add some more torch highlights...

A nice Golden Pecan stain and build a glass retainer into the frame...

Now some more stain, then finish & seal it all...

Cut some Bamboo flats for inlay, cut some leopard fabric for the backboard...

With the Bamboo highlights & finished backboard...

Attach the backboard & hooks to hang from...

Now the print gets a mat,frame gets UV glass & backboard...

Ready to hang....

Now Punk & Tiki mix well, like a Mai Tai with attitude.
But what do I know? I am just a punk with a Mai Tai.

The Moai see, the Moai like!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-04-02 19:35 ]

That is just awesome ATP! Great play by play action too.
A killer idea comes to fruition. Congrats to you.

A

Fantastic! Thanks for the step thru.

And as MDM sez: What's FOR DINNER??? hehe

Great idea with the matching mug and painting, perfect execution! Nice step-by-step too.

(Hey, what's for dinner?)

A

HA HA!!!

ATP's calling for take-out Chinese - he's been too busy makin' stuff to cook today!

Thanks you guy's! been super busy with work this week, did the shelf last weekend.
I have not cooked at all this week.

Thanks so much for this! Your stuff looks great, I'll be getting in on the shelf building action shortly as well!

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Apr 24, 2010 10:04 PM

Cool stuff! Best job so far!

I appreciate that you guys, Thanks!

Made some shelves for BambooBen's Garage sale on Sunday
anyone need some "Atomic Tiki Punk" in your house? you won't have to kick me out when you get sick of me!

Nice Quiver there!
see you tomarrah!

Nice, very "Atomic Tiki" Good luck at the sale tomorrow & have a great time :)

Thanks Mike,So you can't make to Ben's then? we will miss you.

T

It was great finally meeting you at Ben's Garage Sale, Atomic Tiki Punk!

The Digga Digga Do mug/print frame came out great! What an awesome idea!

You to Eric, sorry I was so tired. had a great day with all the usual suspects & meeting the L.A. area Tribe members
like you! see you next Shindig.

C

Nice shelves, specially the Tiki shark one, me like very much.

Hello all,A few more things done...

Made this shelf for Bamboo Bens Garage sale,Tiki Kitty picked it up for their swanky pad.

Made a couple more custom boxes for my own collection.
This was for a midcentury figurine...

And one for my Von Franco Shots of Love set.

Really like your woodwork! Are you using a torch for the burn spots? I've been thinking of adding burn marks to my wood mounted prints.

Thanks Zerostreet, yes,I just use a hand held propane torch for those highlights & to bring out the wood grain.

Finally got around to making another Bar Stool,so I now have a set.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-06-10 21:18 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies