Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKOT! - Visions from the Tiki Tarot @ FBG thru November

Pages: 1 2 3 4 175 replies

H

The Hermit is Key Nine in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

HodadHank's Hawaiian bearded Tiki Hermit carefully treads a darkened lava wastland iluminated only by a glowing fugu lamp, magical receptacle for the knowledge and wisdom he has acquired through years of study and meditation. He represents a wise, inspirational person, friend or teacher. His staff embodies the weight of his experience, upon which he leans for support. Believed to grant special powers, The Hermit is dressed in the feathered cloak and headress of a Hawaiian Kalani'opu'ua. A pop cultural nod to Swiss fantasy artist Barrington Coleby's most famous version of this card is evident in the lower right. "There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is crying for leaving..."

The Hermit by Hodad Hank of Mission Beach, California USA
Kilz & flame on antique tongue & groove beach shanty panels
$200
SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-23 09:45 ]

On 2009-11-09 12:08, bigtikidude wrote:
sorry if I missed the info, but when will this show be up till?
I am planning on going to SD area on Sat the 21st.
Hope I can see it then.

Jeff(btd)

ahem?

Try a PM
or call the Shop
Dummy!
:)

No use soundin like one of them old ladies who
gets impatient and grunts in line
at the grocery store....

I thought that if I asked publicly then other people that wanted to know, might get the answer also.

so bite me.

Jeff(btd)

I was told the show is thru the month of November.

Thank you sir,
you are a Scholar and a Gentleman.

Jeff(btd)

:lol:

The Moon is Key Eighteenth in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Doug Horne's version of The Moon represents life of the imagination apart from life of the spirit. Between two flaming tiki columns, it illuminates our animal nature and the fears of the natural mind, represented by the carved dog and wolf lentil, and the lobster which crawls from the abyss, nameless and hideous tendencies which are even lower than savage terrestrial beasts. Yet a glowing fish float lights the watery pathway into the distant, dark unknown, as the celestial Marquesan face above directs a calm gaze upon the unrest below bearing a simple message: "Peace, be still."

The Moon by Doug Horne of Oxnard CA USA
Colored pencil on paper, Matted & Framed
$775
***** SPECIAL DISCOUNT FROM DOUG HORNE! *****
ONLY $675
SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-28 18:29 ]

man DougHorne...
the more i look at that
the more i like....

Did I miss the closing date noted in this thread?

Yes, you did.

U

I've been wanting to ask, which pieces sold during the show?

Aloha everybody!

I've got some nasty flu and haven't posted in a few days but intend on showing every piece here including those that have sold and updating the thread as others sell. There are still truely remarkable works available and I hope to post some more pics today if my giant throbbing balloon sized head will allow... I thank you for your patience.

As for the closing date, I'm hoping you kids will buy some of these amazing one-of-a-kind originals well before Christmas for while I am quite happy to display these works beyond the end of November I have promised to begin shipping sold items at the end of the month.

The Empress is Key Three in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Through the imagination of Eric October we are given a Maori Empress carved into her own throne. Surrounded by a crown and lei of stars she clutched a human heart as a shield while the devil tempts from below with a ripe pomegranite. Behind her we see extinct New Zealand Moa and Haast's Eagle as well as celestial bodies green with envy. So rich in symbolism that Eric October himself has pledged to explain all in detail to whomever buys this unique and captivating work.

The Empress by Eric October of Hollywood California USA
Acrylic on canvas
$300
SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-18 12:28 ]

T

What a fine collection of incredible art! Congrats to all...wish we could've seen the show.

On 2009-11-18 12:27, Tobor64 wrote:
What a fine collection of incredible art! Congrats to all...wish we could've seen the show.

Mahalo Tobor!

This is indeed a project that pushed the artists to their very limits. Now is your chance to own an original piece from this groundbreaking show. Friends of Freaky Boutiki all, these artists have offered their work at special prices much reduced from their usual rates. There will only be one TIKOT! and you may help support these visionaries along their independent creative paths by patronizing FBG today. With your purchase you can help Kinny Ruzic buy a tube of paint and zipfiz, you can help Ulafish pay for school supplies and sunscreen or Atomic Tony Tiki buy a bowl of rice ginger and chili paste.

TIKOT! needs you. Only you can make a difference.

...wish we could've seen the show.

You still can, it's all still there till the 30th! Just drive on down.

T

On 2009-11-18 12:59, 4WDtiki wrote:
You still can, it's all still there till the 30th! Just drive on down.

We'd love to, but we're out of town this weekend & the next, both in the opposite direction!

On 2009-11-18 12:48, hodadhank wrote:

Mahalo Tobor!

This is indeed a project that pushed the artists to their very limits. Now is your chance to own an original piece from this groundbreaking show. Friends of Freaky Boutiki all, these artists have offered their work at special prices much reduced from their usual rates. There will only be one TIKOT! and you may help support these visionaries along their independent creative paths by patronizing FBG today. With your purchase you can help Kinny Ruzic buy a tube of paint and zipfiz, you can help Ulafish pay for school supplies and sunscreen or Atomic Tony Tiki buy a bowl of rice ginger and chili paste.

TIKOT! needs you. Only you can make a difference.

. . . And Atomikitty SERIOUSLY needs to get her roots done! . . . .err. . . I mean. . . buy groceries or something. . . . heh heh. . .

The High Priestess is Key Two in the TIKOT! Major Arcana

Ulafish, a 22 year old student at the Ringling College of Design floored me with her moody nouveau inspired images, and her version of The High Priestess is no exception. Motivated by legends of red-haired Hawaiian goddess Kaahu-pahau who dwells off the coast of Oahu with her husband, a shark god, protecting ancient islanders from man eaters of the sea and rich in iconic symbolism, she embodies the mysterious unknown that women often represent. Her ornamental headband of tusk and tooth which circle a giant pearl, her slippery companion's pale curving tail, her floral hair accents and glowing skirt of submerged lava-flow all echo tarot imagery of Europe depicting the lunar crescent, Solomonic tree of life and the High Priestess' ties to the underworld. The cause behind all actions, all life is created through the High Priestess, nothing passes into creation except through her.

The High Priestess by Ulafish of Sarasota, Florida USA
Digitally rendered and colored in Photoshop CS3, Framed
$550

On 2009-11-18 14:20, atomikitty wrote:
. . . And Atomikitty SERIOUSLY needs to get her roots done! . . . .err. . . I mean. . . buy groceries or something. . . . heh heh. . .

You mean that platinum isn't natural?

Death is Key Thirteen in the TIKOT major arcana.

Clysdalles version of the traditional tarot's most recognisable card departs entirely from the histioric symbology of its European counterparts. Gone are the images of the dead and dying from all classes, including kings, bishops and commoners. Nor are the familiar crashing towers, the rising sun or the mystic rose evident. Eerie in its starkness, to look upon Clysdalle's death head and crossed maori spears is to lock gaze with our unavoidable future, the shedding of flesh to all men's ultimate destination.

Death by Clysdalle of Carlsbad California USA
Pen and ink, Framed
$500

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-27 11:11 ]

gonna swing by later today.
heading down to see some friends.

Jeff(btd)

The Fool is Key Zero in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Big Toe's Ke Hupo (the Fool) is a hysterical sendup of Pamela Colman Smith's image from the Rider-Waite Tarot of the early 1900's. All the original elements are here: The mad vagabond now a grinning wooden tiki stepping off a cliff without a care in the world while his companion dog, usually potrayed as nipping at his heels, now a bug eyed beast takes a sizable bite of his ass. He still carries a satchel for his journey and a hybiscus, showing his appreciation of beauty. The number Zero is a perfect significator for the Fool, as it can become anything when he reaches his destination. Zero plus anything equals the same thing. Zero times anything equals zero.

The Fool by Big Toe of Irvine California USA
Acrylic on panel, Framed
$560
SOLD

The Magician is Key One in the TIKOT! Major Arcana.

Brad Parker, Hawaiian visionary artist featured this month on the cover and in a full color four page spread inside Tiki Magazine actually called me while I was writing the above sentence! Spooky! We chatted briefly about his thought process on the Magician and how he enjoyed the challenge of working within a strict theme.

Rich in symbolism, Brad gives us a powerful tiki magus with the infinite as a halo floating above his head. The embodiment of male power of creation, willfulness and desire... but is he a wise medicine man or a snake oil salesman? Only the Wizard knows. He stirs a great overflowing tiki chalice with his swizzle staff as the sword of intellect pierces a cocktail cherry beside a coin representing solid possessions and hard work. Around his neck a lei replaces the traditional waist sash of ouroboros as he gestures toward the ground. With this gesture the magician bridges the gap between heaven and earth, the divine motive in man.

The Magician by Brad Parker of Kailua-Kona, Hawaii USA
Acrylic on canvas
$750
***** SOLD *****

The Devil is Key Fifteen in the TIKOT! Major Arcana

McEvoy & Rodriguez surf a new wave of young pop surrealists currently enjoining popularity on the left coast and their solution to a satanic TIKOT! assignment speaks as much of their process as their influences. Simultaneous collaborators, they work in tandem elaborating on each others work upon the same canvas and occasionally changing directions entirely. Here they have given us a devil girl right hand raised in opposition to the left handed benediction of the Hierophant. She is the embodiment of physical attraction, lust, sexuality, animal instincts and vice. Her left hand cradles a fiery serpent coiling to the earth. Her horns attack the heavens and indicate the top of a reverse pentagram, the overturning of order and the triumph of matter over spirit. However, around her neck she wears the keys which may unlock us from our taste for the darkness. The heart key acknowledges the card's connection to The Lovers. Both cards speak to our drives; the drives that take us out of the garden. The Devil, is the adversary but sometimes, our best and only ally for the Devil’s own torch can light our escape from the temptations of the underworld.

The Devil by McEvoy & Rodriguez of Ontario California USA
Acrylic on canvas
$1500
***** SOLD *****

Looks Great in Person.
Great work everyone.
do yourself a Favor and go see it, before it comes down.

Jeff(btd)

H

AND I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT "TC" MEANT TIKI CENTRAL!
"Tarot Collectors" makes more sense!
Thanks for spreading the love
and making others aware of the show,Hank!

T

Hodaddy!

I love your descriptions of all the pieces in the show! (You make mine almost sound like it makes sense!)

Er... I've spaced on closing date? Is the show still up now?

Mahalo!
Eric

Yes Eric but we're preparing pieces for shipping this weekend. You wanna buy something???????? :)

S

ok im replying because I am really not happy about this.Now the reason is my posts have been deleted and this is clearly a plagiarizer at it's best. I have my ideas saved and logged and dated. I am the designer of the idea of the tiki tarot I said about finiding artists here on the forum and was laughed at. I own found this post that it has been created by a forum member not myself but someone else. I have to say it isn't funny and I am very very hurt that this has happened. It certainly isn't this artists magical idea but mine. How can you live with yourself stealing my idea?
I have images saved to usb and dated of my designs.
That is even the name of my tarot deck so...I want to know how this is even legal.

I will be seeking legal advice very very soon. As you all know especially admin I did post a longtime ago during that year the idea on here and everyone said no to helping with me designs.
this is illegal!

mine is dated 2007..! so we have a major problem here with legalities. I'm going to have to take this further as, it's my idea and well....I'm very hurt that my posts were removed from here about the TIKI TAROT and it's the name my deck is called. So, we have a major issue here

[ Edited by: seraph 2012-06-17 20:04 ]

Under the id FaeMagic I spoke about tarot and tikis frequently so this idea is not new I also have my images cataloged and dated. This is beyond a joke what this user has so called dreamed up as their own idea.

faemage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-23 3:23 pm Permalink

Hi I am FaeMage from England,

I am interested in learning how to draw Tiki's would anyone be able to give me any tips or know of any books or sources that can help? I had many posts with members and the forum managers. i think you have some nerver to take my idea as your own...this is the lowest of the low..shame on you

Thanx

Fae uk

[ Edited by: seraph 2012-06-18 08:25 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 175 replies