Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

2010 January Mug Swap **Get Your Swap On People!!**

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies

L

It is now February 1st.

Your swap should of already gone out. If you just sent it today and have not notified me please pm me.

If you have STILL not sent it please let me know as well.

Clock is ticking people!

T

Found my camera! Thanks again to SDT for the fabulous stuff!

Beth

T

oops!

[ Edited by: Tikisgrl 2010-02-01 17:16 ]

T

Double oops!

[ Edited by: Tikisgrl 2010-02-01 17:16 ]

T

& again oops!

[ Edited by: Tikisgrl 2010-02-01 17:17 ]

Looks like someone went a little crazy with the refresh button.

Glad you like it.

Here's what Exquisite Corpse (love that Dada/Surrealist name BTW) got fer me:

A cool shrunken head mug from Otto's Shrunken Head in NYC. A Hula Wahine/Palm tree stump mug. A bunch of swizzels and cocktail animals, a few tiki band-aids, a plastic tiki shot glass, plus some post cards from Trader Vics.

Thanks E.C. I didn't have any of it! I love these mug trades!

Well I had the same sender but I got the better stuff..sorry to hear of your misfortune , guess we can see who the favorite was...8)

And then there was Lightening Steve....a swapper to show those people who are from the N. know how to gather Tiki treasures...8)

And then there was tropical_icebergs...oh the contents of the packages can't be viewed at this time....as someone was really late in making the post office visit..so if anyone is still following this thread....someday we may see pictures of swap finally sent....8)

On 2010-02-02 08:44, Tropical_Icebergs wrote:
And then there was Lightening Steve....a swapper to show those people who are from the N. know how to gather Tiki treasures...8)

I'm happy to hear everything made it safe and sound, and that you like the treasures.
Being fairly new to collecting I just have the bare essentials but have started preparing extras for these trades.
Steve

..............tropical_icebergs
Thank you for posting a note about the fact that you just sent your swap out yesterday ,
maybe I'll get some pictures of it up before the next trade !
By the way, we folks up North know all about how to stuff a box! lol

N
nuKKe posted on Tue, Feb 2, 2010 3:30 PM

House of Ku sent over some Aloha!

Enclosed in the box was a package of yummie chocolate covered macadamia nuts, a swizzle stick from a local bar, a cool cd of steel guitar tunes, cocktail umbrellas, an awesome Coco Joe catalog and some lava CG pendants. And then there's the ceramic piece. Taking it out of the box, I thought, eh, a candleholder. It took me a minute to realise that it's a mug, another minute to find out that it's a mug made by Gecko and a visit to Ooga-Mooga to understand that the gaping mouth is for dry ice. I absolutely love everything, House of Ku, thanks for the generousity and all the thought you put into it.

Keren.

Here's a separate pic of the CG trinkets:

T

Sorry to be so late in posting my swap treasures... the package arrived as I was furiously finishing stuff for the Tikiyaki Palo Alto show and had to wait until I returned...

I received an awesome haul from Tikisgrl... Mahalo!

Two mugs, a great collection of swizzles, some postcards, and cool matches!

And once again, the importance of bubble wrap is illustrated in the story of how my package arrived...

Manuel and I were enjoying dinner and mai tais one evening about 9pm, when out on the porch there arose such a clatter, I sprang from the dinner table to see what was the matter. The sound of a large object striking the screen door rattled our peaceful meal, and for some reason, I immediately though of my at-that-time-yet-to-be-received swap package. I opened the door, and there was a large dented box sitting haphazardly in front of the door. Apparently, our FedEx delivery guy felt it was more expedient to lob the package to our 2nd story front door from the parking lot rather than bothering with the nuisance of all the time consuming steps. I looked up the street just in time to see the FedEx truck peeling off... Fortunately, Tikisgrl wrapped the mugs with lots of bubble wrap, so nothing was damaged.

Mahalo again, Tikisgrl!

HOK

On 2010-02-02 15:30, nuKKe wrote:

Here's a separate pic of the CG trinkets:

Aloha nuKKe! I dug up those CJ trinkets at the old Coco Joe factory in Punaluu, Hawaii. The factory burned down in 1965 and I found those a few years ago. Some pieces are melted :)

the factory was behind the showroom (above)

Still very primitive...see bushes behind the drying rack :) After the fire, the building was bulldosed...and the trinkets were waiting to be found for 40+ years...

Aloha, Freddie

PS Glad you like the Tiki Goodies...Just curious...Which flower do you like the best?? :lol:

T

PTD, your second trade was from me. Sorry I was so afraid of not getting a package out on time that I even forgot to put a note in it. I shipped it from work and I just made the post office as it was closing.

Wow, I'm really liking those CJ trinkets that were dug up.. How sweet is that.. Nice work!

N
nuKKe posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 4:05 AM

On 2010-02-02 19:54, HOUSE OF KU wrote:

Aloha nuKKe! I dug up those CJ trinkets at the old Coco Joe factory in Punaluu, Hawaii. The factory burned down in 1965 and I found those a few years ago. Some pieces are melted :)

the factory was behind the showroom (above)

Still very primitive...see bushes behind the drying rack :) After the fire, the building was bulldosed...and the trinkets were waiting to be found for 40+ years...

Aloha, Freddie

PS Glad you like the Tiki Goodies...Just curious...Which flower do you like the best?? :lol:

Freddie, I take my words back. Not CJ "trinkets" but rather archeological artifacts which I'm proud to have in my collection. Thank you for sharing the story with us.
My fave is the second flower to the left. Sporting a short haircut, the flowers will be used as cocktail decoration :)

Got my swap today - from far off exotic Idaho. Happy happy happy.

parcel art. very cool.

such a lot of stuff!

coconutty airfreshner

sticker

???

playing cards!

lots of bubblewrap

toucan

nightlight!!

swizzles

another swizzle - Hale Tiki

bottle opener

Tiki Farm TV's mug with more swizzles

OMC mug with sticker.

Thanks so much SneakyTiki, you really made my day. I didn't have either of those mugs and I was even coveting the cross-armed OMC last week when someone else got it in their trade. Once again the mug swap has totally exceeded my expectations.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2010-02-03 23:53 ]

So is that the last one? Looks like a great swap this time, thanks again to Leleliz for putting this together.

Hey tobunga (or Beth)

Can you tell me a little more about those postcards Tikisgrl sent you? Did not recognize them.

Thanks,

DC

L

We have 2 more people waiting for the packages...but I do believe they both know they are enroute :)

I would strongly urge anyone with opinions on swaps to come leave comment on this thread :

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35375&forum=5&14

I would love to try a new swap for around the end of March that is not a mug swap and then pick the mug swap up again at the beginning of summer. However this is just MY idea so I would love to hear yours :)

Mahalos to everyone who swapped this time around!

(and yes please keep checking back here to see what the final people got!)

T

2 of us left?
...now it's a kind of deviant thrill to see if I'm dead last,

"I'll show you whose postal carrier is slower!" lol

T

Hey, Maybe the two waiting are both from Canada as my swap is still taking it's Tiki time to get up here!!
Hopefully it stopped somewhere exotic before coming here!! :)

TabooDan

T

This will for once and all settle the entire alberta /bc "whose more tiki" war!
Winner take all!
It's up to Canada post now!
I'll see you in frozen hell soldier! Lol

UT

I was very lucky that TabooDan was my trade buddy. He went above and beyond the call with the box of treasure that he sent me. A unique twist as well. All of the items are from Canada! A vintage Tropic Isle mug, a mug from the Turtle Lounge. Matches, swizzle sticks, picks and a great table card from the Beachcomber. Trader Vic's menu and postcard. A swizzle from the Waldorf Hotel. And last but not least an original painting from Dans fiance of the logo Tiki from the Tropic Isle in a great frame that will have a special place in my lounge. I did not have any of these items in my collection so it was a real treat. Thank you Dan, you are a real gentleman.

leleliz,

thank you soooo much for all of your hard work with this trade! you totally rule!

noland

ditto!

T

On 2010-02-04 14:03, TIKIVILLE wrote:
Winner take all!

Looks like BC claims victory my frozen freind!! Package arrived safe and sound today from good old California! Yours will arrive one day :wink:
I don't know who sent it though as there was no TC name and only initials on the box. That being said what a bunch of great stuff arrived!! I will post pictures later.

Thanks to my secret TC trader!!
Many Mahalos!!
TaboODan

L

On 2010-02-06 11:23, TabooDan wrote:

On 2010-02-04 14:03, TIKIVILLE wrote:
Winner take all!

Looks like BC claims victory my frozen freind!! Package arrived safe and sound today from good old California! Yours will arrive one day :wink:
I don't know who sent it though as there was no TC name and only initials on the box. That being said what a bunch of great stuff arrived!! I will post pictures later.

Thanks to my secret TC trader!!
Many Mahalos!!
TaboODan

Hey TabooDan I just pm'd ya back ...Duane-Psycho Tiki D was your trader :)

Oh Tikiville............looks like you may be the fat lady this time! lol

On 2010-02-06 11:51, leleliz wrote:

So you've seen his drag act!

L

On 2010-02-06 12:05, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

lol

yeah...when he breaks out into "I Will Survive" I clapped along with his bootie shakin!

Thanks everyone for the thanks. This was a VERY intense swap mainly because I was trying my best to make sure people got new swappers and new stuff. it was a tad exhausting ..lol

I think we need a break from mug swapping until Summer. I have started another thread with some ideas ...Hawaiian Shirt swap/swizzle & paper swap seem to be the most discussed ideas so far to take place end of March. I figure all those things will be cheap to send and lots of people collect it all.

I personally need to find more stuff to send (which I will, oh yes I will!) for a mug swap so I thought we could switch it up a bit.

Please leave any comments about future swap ideas here :

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35375&forum=5&17

and lets all hold our breath as we wait for Tiki-la-ville-a to post his stuff :)

T

Now ya done it ( lacing up my gloves)
Dont hold your breath, at this point i'm , well lets say for a less caustic reply...
Not to impressed with my sender
My trader had my adress for 4 weeks before he decided to honor the terms of the swap he agreed to and even commented on .
No excuses
my ideas for the next swap ?
Work on my patience and suggest that if you enter PLEASE STICK TO THE AGREEMENT or have another rum and leave the swap to the folks that will...
That way EVERYBODY has a great time !
Aside from the inconsiderate actions of my sender I am very pleased that the reciever dug the treasures i sent !
That is really the point, too bad my swapper missed it!
Yup thats a call from the ring !
Now where is my camera?....
Hope i find it before or if the package EVER shows up!

T

On 2010-02-06 12:05, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

I thought that was you next to the bar!
Hey, hosery isn't cheap .... Throw some paper tips next time!
Lol

Your disappointment id duly noted and justified....I only hope that on the fateful day when the package arrives you will find a little forgiveness for my delayed actions...and maybe on that day the sun will shine again and all the Tiki' will gather and sing...until then I can only offer my condolences to your luck. It would seem you received the worst swapper on several continents...

L

On 2010-02-06 16:50, Tropical_Icebergs wrote:
Your disappointment id duly noted and justified....I only hope that on the fateful day when the package arrives you will find a little forgiveness for my delayed actions...and maybe on that day the sun will shine again and all the Tiki' will gather and sing...until then I can only offer my condolences to your luck. It would seem you received the worst swapper on several continents...

Hey you SENT your package...which means you aren't that bad :wink:

Leleliz, I would be happy to send a package to Tikiville. Please PM with the address.

Aloha
Abstractiki

L

On 2010-02-06 18:00, abstractiki wrote:
Leleliz, I would be happy to send a package to Tikiville. Please PM with the address.

Aloha
Abstractiki

That is a generous offer Abstractiki but his is on its way.

Plus..its more fun watching him squirm...lol

KIDDING !!

:op

T

When i was a kid I saw a chicken dance ( on a hot piece of tin for 25 cents)
... So not so much squirm , more like the chicken lol

T

On 2010-02-04 12:34, Dustycajun wrote:
Hey tobunga (or Beth)

Can you tell me a little more about those postcards Tikisgrl sent you? Did not recognize them.

Thanks,
DC

Aloha Dustycajun!

The three postcards on the left are from the Hu Ke Lau, in Chicopee, MA. Two feature a Polynesian dance troupe, and the third has the troupe plus shots of the restaurant, which appears to be a buffet type place, with a stage area.

The postcard on the right is from Mon Kou in Attleboro MA. Looks like there is a lot of Witco style carvings!

Hope that helps!

TOBUNGA,

Thanks for the info on the cards. How did the cheese hold up today?

DC

BK

Both the Mon Kou & The Hu Ke Lau are still open & retain alot of their original decor.

UT

A big thanks to Leleliz for a great swap. And thanks for all of your hard work.

TT

I've edited my earlier post...the pictures are now up of my treasures from Nukke! Now I can eat my St James Rhum chocolate.....

:drink:
Tacky

Hey TIKIVILLE, race is still on for last place...... my package is still in route also.
Leleliz, Thanks for putting this together. Shirt idea isn't bad.

T

I gotta say a huge thanks to Psycho Tiki D for an awesome bunch of items!! He truly blew me away with the stash of great goodies!!

Everything thing arrived safe and sound and I was totally stoked to find:

Not 1 but 3 cool mugs from the Islander Restaurant that was in Stockton Ca. These will go nice with whatever the hell I do with some of that original bamboo that I got from Abstractiki!

A very cool Disneyland Amusement Park Souvenir book full of great photos and drawings, Trader Vic Menu Cover, a bunch of Beachcomber Stir Stix, picks and some matchbooks.

A totally unexpected and great Tiki haul!! I always look at Psycho Tiki D's posts of all the cool stuff he finds and now he's sent some up here to me. Greatly appreciated and thank you very much!! I am sorry about the shipping amount you spent to get up here!!

Many Mahalos!!!
TabooDan

L

Oh yes...I forgot that Tropical Icebergs had two sendees :wink:

So its a race.....who will post theirs first??

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2010-02-16 14:43 ]

Z

I missed the swap!!

Bugger!!

~~Ah well, next time...

T

Hey Tikiville, You shouldn't be frustrated that you haven't received your items yet as they are on their way. You should be more angry at the fact that BC kicked your arrsssssss in your Tiki War!!!

I am coming to Alberta tomorrow for a week or so so keep your Tikis close to yah!!
I am going to try and get to your package before you get it and maybe hold it ransom!

TabooDan

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies