Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Caliente 2 on June 4th-6th (go to www.tiki-caliente.com for official Swag)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 471 replies

TT

Here's a ton of photos from Friday.
I posted a bunch of room crawl photos at the "Tiki Caliente 2 Room Crawl Official Thread-Updated almost daily" here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36089&forum=17&start=120&123 so the photos wouldn't go on forever.

I'll post some Saturday and Sunday pics soon...

Here's a taste of Tiki Caliente II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lImV2Sr5SQ

I can't tell if I'm getting better or worse at filming, HA! Must be the rum.

Thanks Rory for putting on such a smokin hot event! I had an absolute blast! Someone over the weekend called me Wildsville Jr. (HA! and I'm taking that as a big compliment)

Thanks to all the cool bands for playing in the sauna for us, the bartenders and room crawl hosts who kept us all hydrated, bigtikidude for spinnin the tunes, the vendors who brought out some kick ass swag, and everyone else at the event for such a stellar weekend! Can't wait to next year!

Cheers!!!!!

Newly Cut The Hula Girls Aloha Mixed Plate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FFNydi2aSg
Chris

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-06-07 18:08 ]

C

Christine and I had an incredible time! The warmth of the folks in attendance exceeded the warmth of the weather. Thanks Rory!

Brent (Caltiki)

J
Jetson posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2010 3:28 PM

The heat was definatly worth it. I had such a blasty-blast walking in the fashion show, hangin out with new and old friends at the booths, room crawling, and seeing the bands play. I made some great new friends this weekend and I hope to see you all soon :)

TT

Did anyone get any fashion show photos? We had to bail out for a bit during that time.

T

OK...I'm still delirious from the heat.

What a great time ! Many folks who attended Oasis at Caliente back in the "old days" were saying that this Caliente was just like that, so I'm glad to have gotten a glimpse of the old Oasis.

First off, BIG Kudos to Wildsville Man Rory, for putting on such a great event, and being a great host. I was amazed how even keel and unphased he was while running this thing. He delivered on all his promises, and fixed and little snags along the way. Hats off braddah !

Big Tiki Dude set the mood right by the pool...lots of slow, relaxing classic Hawaiian stuff, mostly leaving the surf to the awesome surf bands who were there...Eliminators, Slacktone and OuterWave kicked ass.

Hula Girls...great sets

Martini Kings set the mood perfect by the pool.

The art was great, and came home with a really awesome gravel art piece by "Mrs Nelsons Tiki Hut" Mandy, and lots of other great stuff.

A few suggestions for the next one would be
a) No Chainsaws please ! The fumes and dust went everywhere, not to mention the damn noise just killed the vibe. Bring chisels.

b) Maybe some other type vending besides art, like people selling vintage collectible and aloha wear, just fto mix it up a bit.

c) Add an extra $5 to the ticket price and have bottled water provided for free...with that heat and all that alcohol flowing, there could have been real problems. Or maybe get a water sponsor. While I understand the beverage vendors needing to make money...with that heat, safety is a big concern.

The Caliente Tropics is such a great place, and we're lucky to have it so close by. I'll be spending a weekend or two out there in the fall for sure.

Other than that, the band had a blast playing !

Thanx Rory and everyone for a great weekend.

So rad, Chris. Your videos DO keep getting better and better. I'm a fan. Keep 'em coming!!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2010 5:15 PM

Fun in the sun!

Thank you everyone for such an amazing weekend! As a room crawler I really appriciate the hospitality of the room crawl hosts! Count down to Oasis!

just got in from PS recently.
I'm beat tired, but heading out the door for Dons in a few minutes.
I'm a sucker for punishment.
:wink:

I had a amazing time, and thanks for all the praise everyone.
Glad to have helped provide the soundtrack for your weekend,
When the great bands were not playing.

Lets do it every spring, and fall.
I don't think I have ever sweat that much.
Ugh...

But other than that.
Amazing, as Huell says.
:o

Jef(btd)

P.S.
I know that some people had other commitments during the weekend.
But I really think to get the whole thing,The Vibe, the bands, the room party's
etc....
You need to stay there from fri. to mon.
just awesome to not have to rush home.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-06-08 12:20 ]

Thanks to everyone who trusted me with your time and your money. I know it takes a lot to plan any kind of trip and figure out the total cost from travel,logging,food,drinks and I tried to keep it in a fair price point for most people.

and I am very honored you would consider coming to Palm Springs during 109 temp's to give tiki caliente a chance to entertain you and I think we did.

Too many people to thank but very quick...
Cindra and Rod/Ray and Cindy/Woo Hoo and Soccor for being the first to get rooms and make me believe I will get my deposit back in full.
Tony and Mark my bosses from TRIO for stepping in last minute to make sure we had food and drinks on grounds for the event.......that was HUGE!!!!!!
BigTikiDude Jeff for helping me line up most of the talent.
The Talent....The music and shows were Awesome.
Vendors.......great products this year.
anyone who took a picture or video from the show,I love looking back already
My Girlfriend A.J. for handling 7 months of tiki talk and lack of sleep.
and anyone who trusted me to show them a good time..........THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

FAST UPDATE!!!!!!!!
When I came hope this morning from ripping down 3 10x10 tents and boxing up all the tiki caliente swag. I noticed my sidekick Mike left some of the setup stuff behind. Including 1 box of Official Tiki Caliente Mug's. Case pack 24.

I will put them up for sale on http://www.tiki-caliente.com Tuesday Morning June 8th to truly make them SOLD OUT. I also will have the pint glasses and Tee's for sale at http://www.tiki-caliente.com also.

P.S. I told you all that tiki has never been so hot!!!!!

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2010-06-07 18:55 ]

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2010-06-08 08:07 ]

M

On 2010-06-07 15:41, Tonga Tom wrote:
Did anyone get any fashion show photos? We had to bail out for a bit during that time.

My beautiful wahine Pineapple Princess aka Hot Lava was in the fashion show so i was front and center and captured all the sizzling pool side glamour!

mahalo rory! the martini kings had a blast!. super fun time in palm springs.
i didn't even feel the 111 heat!
let's do it again!
tony and the martini kings

TT

Thanks Mongoloid!

On 2010-06-07 19:35, martini kings wrote:
mahalo rory! the martini kings had a blast!. super fun time in palm springs.
i didn't even feel the 111 heat!
let's do it again!
tony and the martini kings

Cheers and WOO HOO!

Good Times!!!

Moohalos Rory!

Like many said.... it was like "Tiki Oasis 3."

T

Here's another big thanks to Rory for a great party! The line up of bands was the best ever. The vendors were awesome. Looking forward to Tiki Caliente III.
Thanks Rory!!
Mike & Karen

M

Rory big ole mahalo nui loa for making TC2 happen, that hiatus had us frothing at the mouth for the sequel (or was that the heat stroke?) This one somehow topped Tiki Caliente 1, it was good to see the old crew back. Mahalo to everyone that hosted the room crawls, and the bands for enduring the heat in the name of entertainment. Tiki Caliente 3 already marked on my calendar.

On the way stopped at the new Shag store

TC2

Chris your video captured the entire essence of Tiki Caliente II. When my non-tiki friends want me to describe my weekend. I can just send them the link!! Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Jim I am with you regarding the heat. A water sponsor is a great idea. I stayed hydrated and it was probably the only reason I survived. I suppose if another time during the year isn't possible maybe we can invest in more umbrellas or shade covers for around the pool. Maybe easy-ups over half the lounge chair area or those large triangular things roped between the palms and yes definitely some misters would help, not just by vending but also around the pool. But what a location! Perfect!!

Tom thanks for posting all your gorgeous photos! Thanks for taking that one of me at my first room crawl! I love the photo of Sherri dancing on Friday night looks like she is doing a fire walk! Wish I hadn't missed the festivities on Friday....well there is always next year!!

YES I did.. will upload tomorrow!!!

On 2010-06-07 15:41, Tonga Tom wrote:

SF

Good times, still recovering from being out in the heat all day but well worth it. Thanks Rory for putting on an fantastic event, how did I miss that fashion show? For sure more people in attendance than year one and I can see it only getting bigger next year...Let's do it!!

T

WOW ! What an incredible event . It DID remind me of the first Tiki Oasis's . Thats what got me coming back . Special thanks to Rory and AJ for creating this again but this time better . Everyone there was a pleasure , from the attendees to the great bands , the DJ tunes always filling in the gaps and the vendors imagination keeps getting better. Especially that Nelsons Tiki Hut with the rock art and lamps . Stuff was flying off their vending tables .One of the best parts was that is was affordable in these times for not only the patrons but the vendors as well to sell their creations . Hats off to Rory for constantly thanking all who supported his vision and to Rod and Cindra for their anonymous help . They are just good people . They were the ones who organised the fashion show too. They are so generous with their support and ask for nothing in return .
I had an incredible vending experience as well . Thanks to all who came by , complimented my work and bought things . Times are hard for me with my back so it felt great that people were buying some of my smaller pieces . Then Moss came by to say goodbye as he was leaving in 5 minutes to head back to Vegas . But before he left he purchased my "Howling Tiki" with the flapping tounge for his pool. But most importantly, I want to thank Tiki Kinniki for her support and encouragement to me to keep me creating . I got a lot of compliments on my paintings . Its something I just hadnt tried yet .I would work on a piece and she would critique it for me . Her vision was what it neeeded . I love it when people keep pulling me off to the side and telling me Im a lucky man . Believe me folks , I thank God every day for having her in my life .
We didnt take the time to take too many pics but here is our contributions .

Hes wearing my Koa wood pendant that matches the tiki

Linda and Hal

Mandy getting the"Ole Ripsey Hooie" from Cindy

Me burnt to a crisp in the pool

Finger moustache tattoos

Chris and Mandy

Nelsons Tiki Hut

Us with Huell Howser

Holden relaxing in the pool .

TT

Wow What a party!This was the first event of this size I've been to and I gotta say I'm hooked! The most welcoming crowd of people around.It was a pleasure talking with TikiTony,Doug, Tiki Ray,Crazy Al and the Tiki Magazine bro's all the guys that have inspired me to carve.And everyone else I had the pleasure of meeting. Look forward to #3.Hang Loose!!

Was Huell Howser there to film his show or just to drink cocktails?

Oh Shit!!
I forgot to Thank Rory :o

Rory, thanks to you for putting on such an Amazing weekend event.
Everything was stellar. You Really worked your Butt off.
Believe me, I was sitting behind you all weekend, you have no ass. Ha ha ha.

But seriously, thanks for having me DJ, letting me suggest some of the bands.
and thank you for really setting me up.
You Rule!!

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-06-07 14:32, chrisandsarahb wrote:
Here's a taste of Tiki Caliente II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lImV2Sr5SQ

I can't tell if I'm getting better or worse at filming, HA! Must be the rum.

Great vid Chris, and cool tunes you put behind it when there was no band playing.
Big Thumbs up.

Jeff(btd)

H

Cherry Capri and the Martini Kings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvnwHM4Uqss

Be sure to watch the whole thing...

On 2010-06-08 11:27, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Was Huell Howser there to film his show or just to drink cocktails?

I didn't see a Film crew with Huell.
would have been cool to see him do a doc about tiki caliente.
that would be great exposure.
Maybe too much.
Rory wants to keep this thing small.

Jeff(btd)

Dang it! This is what I get for not checking into T.C. for a while. Oh well. Looks like all had a good time at the old Tiki Oasis party grounds. Really liked that place. Guess I should plan now for Tiki Oasis in S.D.

Hey, I didn't see that glassware?! And I missed out on the 7" tiki that Tikibird snagged!

I couldn't believe how HOT it was. Dry heat is still HOT...no matter what they tell you. I guess it was good we had 45 lbs. of ice in our room.

Good seeing everyone, even though we pooped out early just about every night, and thanks to everyone that had a part in putting this together.

The Tiki Caliente Store is now Open. Go To

http://www.tiki-caliente.com for your choice of mug's,pint's and shirts.

If you buy one of the official Tiki Caliente Mug's I will throw in a Tee-shirt for $10 (L-XL ONLY)

Just ad size and color in the comment section and I will send you a paypal to buy that sucker........only 21 mug's left.

such a deal,
this man keeps giving and giving.

Jeff(btd)

T

Not to bust anyones chops but the water situation was fine if you did some planning . I dont believe its Rorys problem . Its just common sense when you go to the desert in June . I spent $2.99 on a case of water and put it in the fridge in my room . Cindy and I had plenty for the weekend and I even brought a few home . We cant put it all on this guys shoulders . Hes too busy doing more important things .

TM

On 2010-06-08 11:59, Hakalugi wrote:

I just watched this like 10 times in a row! Awesome!

On 2010-06-08 19:27, TIKI-RAY wrote:
Not to bust anyones chops but the water situation was fine if you did some planning . I dont believe its Rorys problem . Its just common sense when you go to the desert in June . I spent $2.99 on a case of water and put it in the fridge in my room . Cindy and I had plenty for the weekend and I even brought a few home . We cant put it all on this guys shoulders . Hes too busy doing more important things .

and there was plenty of water for sale too.

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-06-08 19:27, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2010-06-08 11:59, Hakalugi wrote:

I just watched this like 10 times in a row! Awesome!

Cherry Capri ROCKS!!!
MORE! MORE!!!!

I want to thanks Rory for a great event, it was great seeing so many friends! I want to thanks Kelly and Jeremy for the great party they shared with me, thanks to Chris for all the help at the crawl.

Thanks to Nelson for the coolest lamp!!!!!

This event was smaller, intimate and fun!!!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2010-06-08 21:25 ]

Wow you guys...what a great event! Thanks to everyone that stopped by the booth!

Amy, SO glaad to hear the lamp was such a hit at the room! We'll get started on your next one as soon as we get the hut back in shape!

Ray...what can we say but thank you for pushing us into doing this. You have been such a great inspiration and support to us both. (Ok enough mushy crap for you pal!)

Rory... I know you've heard it a million times but... AWESOME JOB! You really threw one hell of a bash! Sign us up for next year!

We can't even say enough good things about this event. It's gonna be tough waiting till next year!

Chris and Mandy

T

On 2010-06-08 19:27, TIKI-RAY wrote:

I did bring water...just not enough. I'm just making a suggestion, and in no way am putting anything on Rory's shoulders. I think he did an amazing job. I'm just thinking out loud. I guess I underestimated the need for LOTS of water. To me, in that heat, it's kind of a safety precaution with all the booze flowing.

S

Aloha Rory..............MAHALO PLENNY..........

It's ll good folk's. It's all good!!!!! Believe me I did what I could in the time frame I had. As some of you knew,I was faced with the last min problem of the tropics not being able to serve drinks because they did not have their license yet. So my boss and I had to drive back-in-forth to Riverside to get a last min event certificate to bring over Trio's license. That is one cool boss!!!!!

I think we made the best of some HOT ass weather. We had plenty of water on hand and we had no time to pick up a last min water sponsor with the situation we had. Plus if we did I wouldn't ask the guy's to give out free water,this isn't the Red Cross baby,this is a party,and as I want to be a good host. I also don't think I need to hold anyones hand. As I said to the guy who had 1 too many drinks as I walked him back to his room, "if you can't handle the heat,stay out of palm springs sucka"!!!!!!!!!! now Dig that Sucka!!!!!!!!!

TT

Here's some pix from Saturday...

Awesome Photo's,You guy's didn't miss anything.

I still have about 19 of the mug's left and a group of the shirts and pint glass set's.

If you are interested go to

http://www.tiki-caliente.com

and lock them down.

If you buy the official mug I will give you a shirt for $10 if interested (L-XL)
I will email you back and send you another paypal if you want.

Good to see such documentation of this event

Thanks again,
w

SD

Looks like it was tons of fun, but I am with Rory! I was in no way going to battle 100+ degrees, not fun in my book, so we stayed home!

Jen

H

On 2010-06-09 08:53, Skinny Dog wrote:
Looks like it was tons of fun, but I am with Rory! I was in no way going to battle 100+ degrees, not fun in my book, so we stayed home!

Jen

Yes, the heat was staggering, but going to the Caliente Tropics in June is all part of Wildsville Man's strategy of keeping the event small.

T

Dont worry about it Jim . Some people werent thinking about hydrateing themselves till after they got sick from the heat . Cindy was convinced the day after she got there . She only had 2 drinks the day before but it hit her kind of hard that night . Then she was drinking a bottle every other hour . The night of your show was bad as far as the heat but the moisture from the lawn was making it quite humid as well . Jon Paul and his towel is a normal thing to see but everyone was looking for relief that night too . I dont know how you guys got through that set Saturday night . Hell, I had to get out of my chair midshow and go change into a shirt that breathes . It was a muggy show but one of your best .

I always say it about JonPaul,
but I guess it goes for Jim too.

you can take the boy outta Metal,
buy you can't take the Metal outta the boy.

as for the water,
I think I had about 8 bottles each day.
twice as much as drinks.

I wanted to get my drink on,
but when I got outta my truck,and realized how hot it was, and how much work I needed to do. I told myself, gotta cut it way back, or I'm gonna crash and burn.

even on sunday evening, I was really starting to get affected by the heat, and runnin on 2 or 3 hours sleep, from sleeping out by the bool by my equipment.
I had one of Ran's drinks, and I put on a cd comp, and took a 30 min nap.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-06-09 09:54 ]

Wow! GREAT pics!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 471 replies