Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tiki Nui

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

A

Awesome work.

Question - Did you leave the bar top all marked up like that, or did you refinish it somehow. Just curious.

T

Chuck Tatum, I am retired so when I am not out hunting tiki, my wife and I like hanging out in our little get-a-way. Thanks for the encouragement.

Tiki Zen, Thanks, I try to recycle when possible.

Trader Mitch, I bought the tapa at a Tongan festivity.

Arriano, I put some matting on it. I will tile it someday. Thanks for reminding me.

S

Love that bar!

Nice job on the bar...keep up the great work!!!

I just got back from a week down in Baja. At a local pottery, I found a tiki head made of red clay. Fits right into my wife's patio. Slowly finding more decorations for her.

T

Love it! For a novice, you're doing great! Coulda fooled me if I'd walked into your bar.

Me, I'd leave the carved-up bar top exposed. Call it history. Gives the impression that the bar is old. It's mock wear-and-tear, just make up tales of the colorful people who visited your tiki bar back in the 50s and left their mark.

W

Love all the things you've done, they all look great. I'd love to hang out with you there, I'll bring some rum.

Mahalo!

Chris
WestADad

I'll give it some thought about leaving the bar top as is.

West, when in town, give me holler, my brother and I craft a mean Trader Vic recipe Mai Tai.

Hey TikiVato!
The Tiki Nui is looking AWESOME!
Great work!
:)

W

Those look delicious!

Orale tiki vato, working hard and hardly working at same time! Will have to look you up next time I'm at OA!

Oscar

T

I just came across a deal on large bamboo and some thatch. I decided to try to build an A-frame to the side entrance to the Tiki Nui. Without any experience or plans, my buddy and I put together the frame from images I remember from A-Frames I've seen here in tiki central.

We starting attaching the thatch from the bottom up.

Took some evening shots. Lighting is from green patio light and red LED lights I attached to top of float.

Here's one with only red LEDs

I have to rope all the joints and a few other finishing touches.

Looking great...your door framing project is fabulous. Cheers :drink:

I decided to give Tiki Bob a face lift since he will be standing guard at the side entrance.

What a great sofa!!!

Orale...nice tiki jungle

J

On 2012-07-20 09:21, TikiVato wrote:
Took some evening shots. Lighting is from green patio light and red LED lights I attached to top of float.

Here's one with only red LEDs

Do you have a link to the LEDs you used?

Looking sweet!!

T

Jim,
I bought the LED's from a friend who purchased them from an online police surplus site. He doesn't have any more. I may have to try EBay and compare their quality. Maybe someone else may suggest a site.

Lori, thanks for kind words.

I am trying my hand at some router work on trim. I bought a stack of wood from Home Depot for a buck a piece. Not going very well. I think I am going to buy a smaller V router bit. Hopefully that will give me a little more control. Any suggestions from anyone?

Mahalo,

TikiVato

Not a bad start Joe! It just takes a bit of practice. Try bringing the router bit up so that it cuts more shallow. That might give you a little more control since the router will be easier to push.

S

I think that looks fine Joe. Once it's burned and stained it'll look even better.

S

I've not tried to do any router work yet, but I think what you've done looks great!

Just remember some of the techniques we discussed at the Crawl and Im sure you will be happier with the results.

What you have done looks fine but for even more control slow down the speed on your router speed a little bit and take your time when moving it through the wood.

I shouldnt take much effort at all to push and pull the router. Rest your arms on your work if you can and it will help you keep the router steady.

Make sure its clamped down well and only use your lines as a guide. In the end the router bit will pick its own path and you just need to be ok with that.

If you are working with narrow pieces of wood then be sure to place other pieces of wood beside it (the same thickness) so it wont rock and tilt as you route near the edges of your main piece (clamp the side parts as well to keep them from moving).

Try to make certain that the table you are routing on is super solid and you wont have to worry about the router moving the table or saw horses around.

It was nice meeting you and hope to see you soon.

Scot, thanks for the kind words but those are just practice runs with home depot opps wood I purchased for a buck a piece. Adrian and Derek have given me some pointers that I will apply as my wife buys me a plunge router with variable speed and some new router bits. (Sometime this week)

Derek, I wrote down some notes on the tips you gave me right after the crawl. I can't wait to try them.

T

My wife told me she would like a patio in front of the Tiki Nui to compliment her patio. My good friend Tony, helped me with this task. We took down the gazebo then cleaned up the wood to put in the brackets for the rafters.

We set the post brackets in concrete and then sold my Sago. We will be concreting most of that area to expand the patio.

I routered the posts that will support my beam.

I decided to paint the flowers on my beam once it was up.

Put up the rafters.

Putting up the roofing material was a chore.

Ripped the windows out of the Tiki Nui.

My grandson helped me install the window trim.

Exterior night shot.

Interior night shot.

I found this bar over the weekend and decided to give it a makeover and put it in our new patio.

Mahalo,

TikiVato

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2012-11-05 21:42 ]

H

Fun progress pictures, great job.

K

Have thoroughly enjoyed your Tiki transformation over the last
couple years TikiVato. The re-birthing of the various cabinets
etc. are remarkable and the new lanai is terrific, great to see
the young fellas lending a hand.

Someone got busy with the router!

What router/bit did you find worked best?

T

Jim,
I am new to router work and a long way from where I want to be. I used a V-bit and a core box bit for my work.

PP

wow awesome, love your boxer too!!!

TV - that patio is fantastic! VERY nice job. The routing designs, the painting and the building - everything really adds up to make a great relaxing area by the pool. I know you did this back in 2012, but I'm just seeing it now and I am very impressed with the work that you do!

Thanks Pele and Poly. Here's a couple of pictures with some of my recent finds at their new home.
My parrot from Bahooka's, My Ku gifted by HB Tiki (above window)

a pair of 1960's war clubs from Oceanic Arts.

Float purchased from Jason (Smokin Tikis) and a vintage pole lamp from thrift store.

War clubs from garage sales and Craigslist

HT

Your weapons collection is impressive. I'm drooling over those clubs. And the Marq stuff.

Dig the space, man. Looks homey, in a good way, of course.

T

TV it was nice meeting you at the ITMP yesterday. Your patio is great. As a fairly new router guy I'd say you router work is looking good. Your collection is amazing. I really like the way you find things to re-purpose. Keep it up.

Looks like you are well prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse...
I like.

Jon

A

I love the first few photos - shows you what a 'normal' space can turn into with a bit of dressing! :)

Amazing transformation!!!! I love the way you covered the 'fridge!
Great job! :)

Wow...you sure are clipping along. I agree-great weapon collection. I am always jealous of the carpentry all you Builder Bob's can do. GREAT JOB!!!!

T

I finally found a booth that I have been looking for since I started the Tiki Nui. My wife and I picked up the free booth from a restaurant that has been around for decades and was remodeling.

I will complete the backings for the booth and do some modifications to fit into my decor. I won't be able to start this project until after December 7th, I am busy getting ready for the next ITMP at Don's.

EJ

Nice score!!

TM

On 2013-11-07 23:47, TikiVato wrote:
I finally found a booth that I have been looking for since I started the Tiki Nui. My wife and I picked up the free booth from a restaurant that has been around for decades and was remodeling.

I will complete the backings for the booth and do some modifications to fit into my decor. I won't be able to start this project until after December 7th, I am busy getting ready for the next ITMP at Don's.

DANG!!!!!!! Very cool!

I like all your new additions! That booth is SWEET. I'm so jealous that you can find stuff like that on Craig's List!!!! NJ is devoid of tiki. :(

This is why I need to visit CA and the ITM. Seriously!

Keep up the good work. :)

Round n round ya go

Supercool find little brother!might even improve your card playing skills on Friday nights. I may have to start wearing my lucky shirt again.
Congrats,

T

I went to downtown Los Angeles today to watch my grandson run a cross country race. After the race I went to a thrift store hoping to find a table for my new found booth. I got lucky and found this older West Coast Industries table. They have been in business for over 70 years and make quality restaurant products.

I used some Howard's furniture restorer and it cleaned up nicely. It is heavy and weighs over 50 pounds.

After putting it into the booth, I got motivated and decided to put up one side of the booth.

I didn't finish that side due to darkness but hopefully get back to it in a few days.

That is a beautiful booth!

D
dtel posted on Tue, Nov 12, 2013 5:28 PM

Everything looks great, nice work.

I would be happy if I could route half as good as you. After reading this thread I realize I probably need a new bit and not go as deep, the grain was moving me all over the place.

Lookin good
Any recent party pics?

Jon

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies