Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Atomic Tiki Lounge

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. We are basically making do with what we have. This was originally an apartment duplex that was built in 1958 by my Grandfather. Although it has been used as a single family dwelling for many years, it needed a complete facelift. The exterior color is very close to the original green back in the 50's. The only thing that made sense for 1400 sqare foot box was to go mid-century with some modern twists. The interior flourishes are things that ATP has been wanting to do for a long time, within the constraints of our space and budget. One of the perks of our new place is that we are within walking distance of Hi Time liquor. If you notice the Lemon Hart 151 keeps getting sold out, it was probably us....:wink:

Awesome!

Reminds me of a Doug Horne painting!

On 2011-07-01 23:12, Jungle Ginger wrote:
...was built in 1958...

Hey, so was I! :lol:

Looks great, looks like all your hard work is paying off! Say hello to ATP for me.

On 2011-07-02 03:58, RevBambooBen wrote:
Awesome!

Reminds me of a Doug Horne painting!

Ben your right, all that is missing is the Devil in the MCM Lampshade!
I know ATP has a big collection of Doug's art, so I am guessing we will be seeing it on the walls soon.

Wow...what a huge undertaking. Love the MCM approach and that interior green is delightful. I know this is going to look awesome when done...we will enjoy your journey along with you.

Quite a transformation! Look forward to updates!

Just a couple updates today

Putting the finishing touches on the front entry way

The Moai garden is taking shape

The fountain is flowing again

Thanks to all the kind words from everyone!

So finally some updates, Its been a lot of Hell-a-Work so some teasers...

A small lounge area is taking shape

Some more landscaping.

Will post some more pics very soon, Thanks for checking in...

T

Chuck and JG, love the integration of Tiki and colorful tropical foliage, heightening the sense of Paradise found.

Since I’m only an occasional visitor to LA, typically when visiting the mother ship (corporate headquarters), I haven’t met many of you. So, please enlighten me, does CTIT = ATP, or is CTIT helping ATP or is this one of those uniquely California relationships that only the Great Tiki can explain?

-Tom

Looks great! The red foliage (canna?) really sets of the red accents in the lounge

J

On 2011-11-22 04:49, TikiTomD wrote:

So, please enlighten me, does CTIT = ATP, or is CTIT helping ATP or is this one of those uniquely California relationships that only the Great Tiki can explain?

Hi Tom,

Yes, this is California.

Relationships here in the Golden State can sometimes get... complicated. :D

The real questions should be... So when's the big Tiki housewarming party ?? !! :)

T

Aloha, JOHN-O... mahalo for the insight :wink:

-Tom

Yea, It's like a Tiki "Three's Company"

On 2011-11-22 08:05, JOHN-O wrote:
The real questions should be... So when's the big Tiki housewarming party ?? !! :)

Yes John-O this has taken alot longer then planned, but we hope to have a holiday
party just for you!(well everyone else also) in a few weeks.

More like Superman and Clark Kent.

Has anyone ever seek ATP and CTIT in a room together?

The place looks great BTW.

DC

W

On 2011-11-22 12:26, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

The Ropers and Chrissy? :)

Dusty, you just met both of us at Don's, remember?

On 2011-11-22 14:03, WestADad wrote:

On 2011-11-22 12:26, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

The Ropers and Chrissy? :)

You Cad...

W

All in good fun. I love the house and outdoor areas.

J

On 2011-11-22 13:27, Dustycajun wrote:

Has anyone ever seek ATP and CTIT in a room together?

I will personally go on the Tiki record and state that I have seen both Atomic Tiki Punk and Chuck Tatum at the same time.

However, I must confess that Lance had an unusual robotic quality to him at the time. (And Jungle Ginger was glowing !!)...

TM

[Has anyone ever seek ATP and CTIT in a room together?

Yes. I went bowling with both of them just last week.

John-O, That does not compute! Danger!Danger! Will Robinson.

On 2011-11-22 16:03, lucas vigor wrote:

[Has anyone ever seek ATP and CTIT in a room together?

Yes. I went bowling with both of them just last week.

Yes we were with Jesus.....Bowling.....

Some more updates.....

A small hallway becomes a mini gallery.

A place for the shadowbox frames.

The Lounge takes shape...

Back soon with more, Thanks for looking.

P

Very sophisticated, I really love it. Rock wall is a fab backdrop to you artifacts. Where did you get the big moai on the floor with the open top? He is so cool!

T

Now this is nice!!! That wood that you're using for frames and for shelves in your hallway gallery... What kind is it? Did you burn it to make it multi-colored? It is awesome!

panampia, Thanks & that was made by Big Ed a local Calif. Artist who makes very cool Tiki stuff in cement
he also made the Moai that is my garden area's a few pics back.

ToddVegas, It is all pine, you can see how it was all made here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33792&forum=18

B
Bonj posted on Fri, Dec 2, 2011 11:51 PM

On 2011-12-02 03:13, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Some more updates.....

Back soon with more, Thanks for looking.

Inspiring work!

T

Really like it, Chuck (and/or ATP)!

-Tom

Another shelf done...

Getting the dining room done....

Here is the latest addition to the "Atomic Tiki Lounge"
Nancy & Kinny colluded to give me this opulent work of art for Valentine's Day
I give you "the Entrance to Cannibal Land"
Thanks Kinny, really a wonderful addition to the lounge!

J

The Atomic Tiki Lounge = "Tiki Modern".

That LLT piece fits in PERFECTLY.

Resist the urge to add too much Tiki "clutter". Strive for that perfect balance of Mid-mod minimalism and Pop Primitive accoutrements.

Less is sometimes more. :)

What a great space to host a party !!

Thanks John-O! yes we are going for the "Tiki Modern" aesthetic
been looking for Mid Century & Danish Modern furniture to replace
the old (not so old) pieces when we can afford it.

We are so over do for that party, but working on it.

Nice stuff! Kenny's painting looks great on that wall!

Thanks Zero!

very nice, love the colour of the walls.....hate renting even more now.

On 2012-02-15 22:13, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
very nice, love the colour of the walls.....hate renting even more now.

I just came out of renting the same place for the last 22 years, (Check page one), It is so nice
to have your own place to do what you want to it!!! now I just hope it does not blow up?

Looking even more spectacular...I love the MCM/Tiki style. The cannibal picture is a delightful edition.

That might just be my favorite LLT piece I've see, yet! Chuck, make sure you tell ATP I was asking about him! :D Hope all is well. I'm plotting my next trip to SoCal. He may find me on his doorstep, one day!

Yes, Kahuna we did not get to talk to you that much, last time you were here.

What an awesome outdoor space ATP. Someday I will have a place of my own to trick out. Mahalo for sharing!

Wow! Just absolutely beautiful, you guys. I'm speechless. I hadn't stayed on the forums because, you know, sometimes it makes me sad. But looking at your pics, and seeing all the wonderful reminders of what great supporters and friends you were of H.O.T. just makes me very, very happy. From the color of the walls, to every nuance and attention to detail. You've created a stunning, exotic wonderland that is not only classy, but really speaks to your personalities. I'm really so happy for you. I know it was a crazy transition leaving your last abode, but how fortunate that now, this is ALL YOURS, deservedly so. I can't think of two more awesome people that deserve something equally awesome more than you. Love and miss you guys! :)

Thanks Pua!!!
Wish we caught you guys at Don's last night, we just need to get you over and hang out.
And yes so much of "House of Tiki" decor is part of our home now, really miss just hanging out
with you & Wes at the old store, hope to see you & Charlie soon.

Looks great
Love da green

Who said this was easy!
So a few updates and a few small detail shots.

First up, I spent the last few months doing new garden areas, A new cement driveway,Fence & new entrance way
I still need to build an arbor & gate.

Here are a few interior details....

Here I am after a long day......

Thanks for looking, Now get out! And stay off my lawn.

Here is a comparison shot of the same house a little over a year ago...

T

Quite an amazing makeover, ATP! The lush tropical foliage really transports one to the island lattitudes. Really like your wall color, and your use of lighting is outstanding. Altogether, a nuanced visual tiki experience. Of course, you had some fine help along the way with your pal, CTIT.

-Tom

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies