Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carved some New Guinea moldings

Pages: 1 41 replies

T

Working on moldings to surround my windows. When complete they will be stained, polychromed and antiqued.....V

holy crap.....THOSE ARE AWSOME!!!!!! how long did that take you? nice work .....very nice work

Simply stunning!!!

HOLY SH%$#, F%#*, )OMFG, etc!!! Tikimecula has FINALLY got sme competition! Those are absolutelt AMAZING!

Beautiful carvings! Very detailed. I have to admit, when I first looked at the picture your legs blended into the shadow of the moldings - I thought you were a double amputee sitting on the window sill ala Lieutenant Dan of Forrest Gump :lol:

Wow!! Serious talent and skill right there.

[ Edited by: WestADad 2010-04-27 10:05 ]

A

Ditto all of above. I can't wait to see these finished.

YOWZA!
Thats some kinda werk there, dont even know what to add but congrats !

Cripes! Those are simply fantastic!

A little clean and symmetrical looking for PNG, but still pretty nice. :P

Some questions I have about the time it takes for you to turn out these pieces:
How long does your computer image generation cut'n paste/3d manipulation work part take? My only basis for comparison: Skinnydogs' showed us their hardware/software setup for jewelry and it took about 35-40 hours to render the original source image to 3d for the cutter setup.

and then, How long does the cutter take to do those that you just did?

And finally,

What are the stock dimensions that your setup will accommodate: smallest piece possible top largest?(Will it do a 6' full round log, is what I'm really getting at...)

Thanks,
Buzzy Out!

T

YOUVE GOT TO POST SOME BEFORE AND AFTER PICS
THOSE ARE AWESOME!!!

S

Wow very pretty. Buzz is saying they are machined?

On 2010-04-27 17:17, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
A little clean and symmetrical looking for PNG, but still pretty nice. :P

Some questions I have about the time it takes for you to turn out these pieces:
How long does your computer image generation cut'n paste/3d manipulation work part take? My only basis for comparison: Skinnydogs' showed us their hardware/software setup for jewelry and it took about 35-40 hours to render the original source image to 3d for the cutter setup.

and then, How long does the cutter take to do those that you just did?

And finally,

What are the stock dimensions that your setup will accommodate: smallest piece possible top largest?(Will it do a 6' full round log, is what I'm really getting at...)

Thanks,
Buzzy Out!

Yeah i'm interested too, these look great btw as does you tiki room .

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2010-04-27 22:28 ]

I don't understand? Are these hand carved or machine carved directed by computer software? No matter what I think they are terrific. I look forward to seeing them up around your window, please post photos, more the better. Wendy

T

Sweet stuff!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 9:44 AM

TikiVic -

Stunning!

I also scanned thru your previous posts and I must say your work is inspiring too!

Can't wait to see your two story tiki bar environment in pics - keep it rollin' boss.

Thanks for posting.

T

Thanks everybody for the great compliments!!! To answer a couple of questions.....these panels are carved on a CNC machine. The "cut and paste" description probably over simplifies the process however. Each panel is designed from scratch (and are original artworks) and are then modeled into 3d mesh files (including the random wood grain surface texture that provides the "hand-carved" look) and then toolpathed. The actual machine time for these particular panels was around 30 hours each (plus machine set-up, wood prep, hand finish detailing/sanding, etc). I really didn't keep track of design time but I'd guess about another 30 hours or so per panel. Of course....once the models are created and toolpathed, the panels are reproducible, and could also be re-scaled in size, etc. There's actually a 3rd panel I cut on which I'm trying out some finishing paints, etc. I'll post some pics a little later when the panels are installed. Thanks again!!!!......TV

B

AHH, These were what I was looking for,, Awesome pieces and they even Look hand done though I'd love to see some macro shots of the detail. Your CNC Machine is Awesome. For oneoff pieces it seems they would go much faster by hand butttt when you throw in the residuals like multiple copies and size scaling you really have the answer. Oh yeah AND you can use the exotic hard woods for even better results that by hand you could never do.
I just can't believe the time it takes to create these before they have ever even seen the wood.
Excellent work !

T

Hey thanks Benz!!! Also once they're created I can sort of piece together different elements from different carvings into new carvings if I want......OH and I don't get arthritis in my hands!!!

T

Those are pretty nice indeed. Great design work.

T

OK....finally got the third vertical panel carved. Need to start designing the horizontal panels now!....all the best.....TV

[ Edited by: tikivic 2011-06-13 00:57 ]

T

Way cool!!!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 25, 2010 10:17 AM

Those are gorgeous!!

Yes, it done on a machine, but still the designing, programming the tooling, set up and running the machine, and finishing is alot of man hours. GROG ex bro-in-law run a CNC and GROG has helped him out before running some parts, so GROG know there's alot of work involved even if it not with chisel. But, DAMN!! Look at the results you get!!

Great stuff. GROG like.

FrEakInG CooL!! Great designs.

If what Grog's saying is true then I'd sure want me one of those machines! Slip on the pair of stunna shades & chillaxin' on a cool drink while the machine does all the dirty work. 8) Beatiful design BTW! I love the composition you got going on. Seeing that tiki dude on the top of the panel your holding makes me wanna say, "I like ta move it, move it. I'd like ta... MOVE IT!" :lol:

T

Grog appreciates the time involved!!! The panel I'm holding was around 40hrs cutting time.....+ design, finish sand, etc.

B

Wow Vic, I see you must be getting pretty comfortable and proficient on those machines,, these latest are really Incredible and I Know they don't come easy.

K
kirby posted on Sat, Aug 28, 2010 9:03 AM

I think they look great, spectacular in fact, But Can you please change the title of this thread to "design" instead of carved.., Because many people assume you are claiming to have hand carved these panels, its confusing.. Most artist here on T.C actually do hand carve,and It takes away from all the hours of hard work they spend putting chainsaw, chisel or scalpel to wood. With the pain in there backs,and the cuts on there hands,you can tell its not the same thing..

L

What Kirby says is right!.........

T

Top and bottom are carved. New Guinea crocodiles are 8' long and 12" high.

WOW!
Those are STUNNING!
Great work!

H

Just beautiful. Can you post some close ups of the last carving.

B

Holy Cow Vic, These panels are Really getting Highly detailed, you must be becoming a Pro with that software, I Know how difficult it is. You are doing just a Tremendous job with it. Knowing the difficulty with that machine I Gotta say Congrats for hanging in there and taking the time to make the machine do what you want, It's no less than learning how to weil the chisels or chainsaw and grinders. Totally Impressed!

T

As requested.....closer up:

B

Thanks for the close up Vic, I still can't believe the depth and detail you are getting. I guess we all need to see your CNC machine in action since some people don't read all the posts. (like ME for one :o )

I'd like to see more steps involved anyway as a lot more of us would for sure. Also I think I see interest in using this to create large sculptures "In the Round" and I Know there are machines capable of that but I'm sure they are Huge and expensive?

Have you done more Polynesian besides the PNG? I for one would love to see some more Maori and some Marquesians with the tats all over???? Just what you want, another book of designs full of More hours of programming,, Give it, Give IT!
:) :P :D

T

As requested by Benz...here is a quick and dirty description of design steps.....

Object is rough sketched and created as vectors on computer

Object is created and modeled in 3D rendering program for basic shape, etc.

Object is imported to a digital "sculpting" program for more tweaking, etc.

Here you can see the natural wood grain being applied to the object digitally.

Finished model is imported into the CNC software for toolpathing (be very careful or you end up with a box of broken cutting tools that used to be worth $100s of $$$)....lost count of this!

Final image of toolpathing ready to cut.

And some action pictures:

And a few other works:

LONG POST.......but thanks for reading.......I have to start painting my New Guinea moldings now.....TV

[ Edited by: TikiVic 2010-10-04 13:08 ]

P

WOW! Your work is unreal! Crazy how much time it takes to make these, but well worth the effort!

T

Been awhile since I posted....just stained and painted the first of the window moldings:

Wow, Vic, I just discovered this thread, I have a CNC too and was wondering about the possibilities for carvings (I'm a pro woodworker but chisels are not my favorite tool). I can't even fathom the amount of time you've spent modeling and toolpathing those PNG mouldings. Nice work!

M

Hey - haven't been on this board in a while so it's good to see something like this come up. This is seriously badass and I need to learn how to create like this.

Daaaaaaaaaaang!
That is SOME SKILL there!
Masterful!
They're going to look SO great when you put them up!

P

impressive brother...

Pages: 1 41 replies