Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

TikiReno's Nevada-style tiki oasis in the desert - new video pg. 3

Pages: 1 31 replies

I have just completed my tiki bar on the side of our house. Started Memorial Day weekend. It's good to be done.... for the moment! For the record I have shamelessly borrowed the bar design from a post here by TikiMike. I'm a busy guy and don't have alot of time to do intimate designing - just have to get 'er done! So I share here my take on it, and thanks for all the inspiration I find here on TC!

I carve my tikis from EPS foam - coated with monster mud...

And the finished product!

My super-cool Pariarts sign is in there...

A buddy at the power company hooked me up with some utility poles!

Mahalo for looking!

[ Edited by: TikiReno 2011-06-12 09:55 ]

[ Edited by: TikiReno 2011-06-12 09:58 ]

[ Edited by: TikiReno 2011-06-12 10:48 ]

Hey, that looks great! What is "monster mud" that you use on your tiki's?

Monster mud is an easy tool that home Halloween haunters use... A mixture of about 5 parts drywall joint compound to one part latex paint. Stir well and slather on! Dries hard but should be painted w/ exterior paint for outdoor applications...

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 12, 2010 5:35 PM

Nice job. GROG like.

S

That is a really cool looking courtyard.

Getter done! Great work in a short period of time. Aren't foam and heated wire cutters great?! I like to play with foam myself and have used monster mud, but only for temporary projects. Have you ever tried any of the commercial coatings like Vanillacryl? They look good but are pretty pricey.

Very nice!! Hard to believe you got all that done since Memorial Day. WOW!

Awesome space TikiReno.

Darilyn

M

Lovin' it!

L

impressive!

T

COOL photo documentation, looks GREAT!

Thortiki

Your little place has a strong sense of style-- a really great vibe!

That looks great...wonderful DIY space. Bet your family is having fun there!!!

T

Did you order the tiki grass online? You said it's from SD... The only websites I can find that sell it are from that area, just curious how you went about getting it.

T

Very impressive, good job. Gonna try your monster mud method. Any other tips?

T

Hey TikiReno, very cool deck!! The atmosphere looks great!
Makes me want to just lounge there. It all came out awesome!

Thanks for the pic's!!
Mahalo, TabooDan

this is Matt the Cat, not tikimookie,

Looks great! I hope it survives the Reno winters though. Will you cover it or pull it down?

Really nice job!

T

To answer the questions...

I bought the grass here: http://www.islandthatch.com/ They arranged for the truck-shipping.

The hardest part of carving with foam is finding the foam! You'll need to do a little research to see if it's available in your area.

Depending on the year, our winters can be brutal, so all the grass, matting, bamboo will be stored for the winter - will come down in October probably. The wood structure is weatherproofed and will remain until the bar lives again in the spring!

F

your neighbors must be climbing the fences to get in there!
great work so far!

Impressive! Designer, carpenter, and carver... looks like this combination of skills has been put to good use. Great way to spend a few weekends, huh? Let the good times roll!

Dude, you rock! I tip my cap to you...Thanks for sharing.....you may be in the wrong business if you're not doing that for a living!...another reason to go to Reno.

Great looking deck! That's on my agenda to do outside as well, but my dreams have to wait on the budget to catch up with them. Love the router work on the uprights. (I "borrowed" the same design from TikiMike for my patio.)

Looks great!!!

I wish my other half would let me do a pond...

Awesome Paradise!

When is the party?

Terrific job. Hard work pays off. I'd love to sit out there. Why don't you come down for a day and join in on the Sacramento Tiki Crawl. Maybe it would inspire you to start one in your area that we could attend. Check it out under California Events author Psycho Tiki D. It's in October and get bigger and better every year. Wendy

Fun pictures, I love the transformation. That turned out really nice! I see my husband posted under my username :) He lived in Reno for a while... Looks like it's in a pretty protected area of your house. Love to see it sometime! Great job :)

Really hip set-up. Good design and nice style. Really well executed. I have been wanting to try my hand at the foam carving seems like a lot of fun.

B
Bau posted on Sun, Aug 1, 2010 7:17 PM

that bridge looks a bit precarious for tipsy party attendents! :D

F

the two best reasons for building your tiki bar outside.

• In polynesia your never really 'indoors'
    • the neighbors know your out there, but they can only guess what you're doing.

love the bridge, reminds me of crossing the threshold into the Kahiki.
you have any recent photos?

We've finished setting up the Tiki Bar for the 2011 season - please enjoy a virtual tour here... http://youtu.be/urCGomskBT0

Fun video...it is really shaping up nicely.

Pages: 1 31 replies