Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Seriously considering moving to California -- need some tips

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

T

On 2003-05-20 23:27, vintagegirl wrote:
While the Jab mentions that Bay area drivers are too slow, I'd say that SoCal drivers (especially in LA) are way too fast. I take a certain pleasure in cruising along in my '63 Chevy Nova (and yes, I do stay to the right) and get quite annoyed when I get someone riding on my ass when they have 3 or 4 other lanes to race by in.

The big difference is here half the people drive too slow in the far left lanes. This just leads to the more aggressive drivers doing stupid things like tailgating and zigzagging. I always leave a safe distance but I get frustrated puttering along in the fast lane because the person if front of me has to talk on their phone or to their passenger while driving 55. In LA they wouldn't stand for it so people either drive faster or get over to the right.

T

On 2003-05-20 23:36, Humuhumu wrote:

I don't want to be responsible for any NoCal/SoCal gang violence. Both areas are fantastic. Let's all make fun of Nebraska or something. (Sorry Omaha!)

I don't understand the "LA sucks" viewpoint. I've noticed the people who say that the most up here are from So Cal - nothing personal Melintur :), while most native Bay Area folks I know like LA but wouldn't necessarily move there.

What's wrong with Omaha?: affordable housing, low crime, friendly people... wait, no tiki bars?! Omaha does suck!

wait, no tiki bars?! Omaha does suck!

What about the Mai Tai Lounge?

M

I don't understand the "LA sucks" viewpoint. I've noticed the people who say that the most up here are from So Cal - nothing personal Melintur :), while most native Bay Area folks I know like LA but wouldn't necessarily move there.

I rarely take take things personally (especially on the internet). That does make sense, though - If you don't hate SoCal, why move? Visiting the Bay Area (ok, SF and Sonoma County) while I was still behind the Orange Curtain made me realize that I hated my home environment - escaoees from SoCal in SF (or other areas) most likely will have similar opinions.

My .sig line is the only super serious thing I'll likely post on this or any board, but the way. I think it applies nicely here.

Was going to post more, but feeling guilty about threadjacking! Imagine! Me? Guilt? I should go see a Doctor.

--
[->_

MB

Imagine! Me? Guilt? I should go see a Doctor.

--
[->_

Melintur dissin' MOdesto? Doesn't bother me my TC Tiki friend. Every place has it's pro's and cons. All I know is I'm makin' a lot a clams off the S.F. transplants. They're buying houses out here and payin' cash with lotta money to spare for waterscapes/landscaping/tikis. Keep 'em comin'.
We actually checked out real estate in Petaluma before we moved here. I like Petaluma, must be an Indian name.

I like Petaluma, must be an Indian name.

It either means little hills, or land of butter and eggs. Methinks the former, but I'm not positive on that. Either way, I dig it. Close enough to S.F. for a quick drive, far enough away to dodge the traffic. Nothing like driving 75mph, passing cows grazing on green pastures on my way to my job, working on video games! WOO!

I can't put much into an argument for/against SoCal, but I don't think there ever was. Just opinions presented for the viewing of others. In my opinion, I would prefer not to live in Southern California, but I damn sure will visit!

SING ALONG TIME:

It Never Rains In Southern California
( Albert Hammond )

Got on board a westbound seven forty-seven
Didn't think before deciding what to do
Ooh, that talk of opportunities, TV breaks and movies
Rang true, sure rang true ...

Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours

I'm out of work, I'm out of my head
Out of self respect, I'm out of bread
I'm underloved, I'm underfed, I wanna go home
It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours

Will you tell the folks back home I nearly made it?
Had offers but didn't know which one to take
Please don't tell 'em how you found me
Don't tell 'em how you found me
Gimme a break, give me a break

repeat chorus:

ONE MORE TIME!

"San Fernando Valley" by Gordon Jenkins (1943)

Oh I'm packin' my grip and I'm leavin' today,
cause I'm taking a trip California way
I'm gonna settle down and never more roam,
and make the San Fernando Valley my home.

I'll forget my sins, I'll be makin' new friends,
where the West begins and the sunset ends
Cause I've decided where yours truly should be
and it's the San Fernando Valley for me.

I think that I'm safe in statin',
she will be waitin' when my lonely journey is done
And kindly old Rev'rend Thomas made us a promise,
he will make the two of us one

So I'm hittin' the trail to the cow country,
you can forward my mail care of R.F.D.,
I'm gonna settle down and never more roam
and make the San Fernando Valley my home.

Now how can you argue with Roy Rogers?

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-05-22 09:18 ]

S

:music: DREAM OF CALIFORNICATION! :music:

I guess it just depends on what you're into. If you're into sitting in the rocking chair with a tiki mug full of Metamucil watching the cows and tall trees, the 'yes' No Cal's your place.

Personally, I prefer the warmer water, actually seeing the Sun, LA for well... LA (movies, music, weirdness, culture, & TIKI!), Orange County (H.B., Newport Beach, Laguna Beach), proximity to Mexico, being able to surf and snow ski in the same day, less farmer rednecks, and most of all - Baxdog!

M

On 2003-05-22 09:23, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I guess it just depends on what you're into. If you're into sitting in the rocking chair with a tiki mug full of Metamucil watching the cows and tall trees, the 'yes' No Cal's your place.

Personally, I prefer the warmer water, actually seeing the Sun, LA for well... LA (movies, music, weirdness, culture, & TIKI!), Orange County (H.B., Newport Beach, Laguna Beach), proximity to Mexico, being able to surf and snow ski in the same day, less farmer rednecks, and most of all - Baxdog!

Heh. I got somthin' in NoCal you like. :D

Best thing is, whichever one chooses, It's only 6 hrs between us. You can have best of both.

Next time I visit though I'll be sure to keep my distance from Mrs. B! I'm a luva not a fighta.

Now where did I put that Metamucil? They say memory is the first thing to go!

--
[->_

M

On 2003-05-21 21:50, Mrs. B wrote:
Make sure register yourself as a F'in moron so they don't remove the wrong tissue.
God forbid your gurney enters So Cal...I'll sail you down the 405 at 5:00 and, no, you won't get a mai tai. See ya.
Cheers.

Meow! Kitten's got a whip! :) Where's Russ Meyer when you need him? I'll register as anything as long as it's F'in :wink:

A

If you're into sitting in the rocking chair with a tiki mug full of Metamucil watching the cows and tall trees, the 'yes' No Cal's your place.

How about sitting in a tiki mug watching a cow full of Metamucil? That might be entertaining, and fragrant too. Thanks to chikitikidiablo, I guess it's even possible, but not in Norcal, since THE MUG resides in socal, right?

-Randy

M

On 2003-05-22 17:18, aquarj wrote:

If you're into sitting in the rocking chair with a tiki mug full of Metamucil watching the cows and tall trees, the 'yes' No Cal's your place.

How about sitting in a tiki mug watching a cow full of Metamucil? That might be entertaining, and fragrant too. Thanks to chikitikidiablo, I guess it's even possible, but not in Norcal, since THE MUG resides in socal, right?

-Randy

If the THE MUG were sufficiently large, we could pull this off!

Nothing Personal, of course, re: THE MUG.

Then we'd all be rockin'

On 2003-05-22 16:30, Melintur wrote:

Heh. I got somthin' in NoCal you like. :D

Touche!

MB

On 2003-05-22 16:30, Melintur wrote:

Next time I visit though I'll be sure to keep my distance from Mrs. B!

--
[->_ Melintur (Craig)

Mahalo! You forgot the rest of your signature. You know, the one that describes you best....come on, don't be shy.
Cheers.

HumuHumu,

Move to San Francisco: If you like walking and (unfortunately) talking Saturday night comedy show caricatures of Alternative Lifestyle types, No-fat soy and wheat grass souffle, screwing dolphins and fog.

Move to Los Angeles: If you like driving and (unfortunately) talking Saturday night comedy show caricatures of greasy Hollywood Producer types, Mexican food, screwing everyone over, and smog.

Move to NYC: If you like smoking and (unfortunately) talking Saturday night comedy show caricatures of Mid-West types dressed in black dying to be cool, Tibetan-Turkish-Tamil-Australian fusion "cuisine", being screwed by your landlord and asbestos.

Move to Hasting, Nebraska: If you like sitting and (unfortunately) talking Saturday night comedy show caricatures of frighteningly friendly people, Cows, screwing in grain elevators and air, lots of nothing but air.

Did I miss anything?

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-05-23 09:17 ]

M

On 2003-05-22 09:23, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Metamucil? Sorry, but here's the stats:

The two-year study of spending habits, released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, showed the average San Franciscan spent $744 on booze and $266 on books, out of an annual income of $70,237. The average resident of Los Angeles, by comparison, spent only $412 and $148 for the same items, out of an annual income of $53,514.

That means a San Franciscan spent 1.1 percent of his money on booze. An Angeleno spent only 0.77 percent.

Read 'em and weep:

We're better read and better lubricated.

Cheers,
Martin

M

On 2003-05-23 09:41, martiki6 wrote:
We're better read and better lubricated.

Mmmmmm. Lubricated.

M

Saw this article and noticed the lack of any California beaches, Southern or Northern. What, no Huntington as a top 10 U.S. beach? Ha ha ha, ho ho.

Top 10 U.S. Beaches

My beach, my waves, go home to Fountain Valley (even if Huntington sucks, it beats most all NoCal beaches). Uh oh, you're gonna get letters for that one, Frank! Tell 'em to address it to [email protected]

Maybe Trancas, but that's about it.

midnite

T

My vote for most scenic beach in California goes to Agate Beach in Patrick's Point State Park in Humboldt County. But the problem with North Coast beaches is the sand is often covered with flotsam and jetsom so isn't very pleasant for barefootin'. And the water is ice cold. But they are the prettiest.

Favorite beach in Hawaii was Kauna'oa Beach at the Mauna Kea resort on the Big Island. It's privately owned by the resort but somebody sued for public access so they allow up to 30 people at a time on it (you have to get a free pass). It was gorgeous with velvet soft sand, plenty of palm trees, few people, no hidden rocks or coral in the water, and great snorkeling at the reefs near the end of the beach. And the resort staff lights the tiki torches at night.

I like Southern California beaches more than Florida beaches. The waves suck in Florida and the sand is more coarse. However, the Keys had some beautiful (yet buggy) beaches. And the water is warm year round in South Florida.

I don't give a fuck about beautiful sand and pristine water. H.B. is where it's at! It's dirty, stinky, hard-core surf and skate. Look at the bands, look at the hard-core surfers, skater, and freaks.

I loved old H.B. downtown on a Saturday morning at 5:00 am. The smell of puke on Main Street, looking out at 4 ft (from the back that is!) glassy A-frames breaking South-side pier. Call your buds on the payphone - "it's breaking". Locals only mother-fucker!

Those that don't understand this, don't understand this.

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-05-23 22:07 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-05-23 22:25 ]

Might I add my .02?

As a native San Franciscan, the City was the most fabulous place to grow up, next to NYC maybe. Public transportation and abundant cultural activity AND diverse population made for an ideal independent education, and remain the best parts of the City in my memories. What I miss the most about the City is hearing fog horns.

When I left for Long Beach, I was asked a mournful sour “Why?!?” over and over. “It was either Long Beach or Fresno” shut them all up quick. I went for school, intent on staying for up to five years. I left nine months later. I like breathing.:) [I understand Long Beach is nicer now, but I prefer getting to places without having to sit in a car for long periods of time.]

Might I suggest trying San Luis Obispo? I’ve been here for over 15 years now. We have a well-known Farmers’ Market as well, and there are markets every day of the week somewhere in the county. A chef (fr. SF) I dated loved the restaurants we have here, and the cultural activities expand each year. If you live in the downtown area (not what it sounds like, this is an old railroad town grown up) you can walk everywhere you need to, and visitors often remark about the friendliness of people. Neighbors know and look out for one another, strangers greet each other on the street!

As a working artist, I talk to people every week who are visiting and wish to live here. The only things I missed from being in Long Beach were the temperature and Trader Joe’s. San Francisco was too cold for me after that, and now we have TWO Trader Joe’s! Whatever the climate you want, you can find it in this county—hot summers/cold winters, temperate all year round, or fog nearly every day. Speaking of fog, my first visit to Morro Bay felt like walking through a time portal and ending up in San Francisco—complete with wharf and shell shops! Avila Beach is a place being reborn after a massive cleanup, very nice and right at the water. If you have any interest in viticulture, this area is now huge for wine.

On another note, we have the largest Mardi Gras celebration this side of the Mississippi, now 25 years old! The community of fabulous creative people is what kept me here in the first place—if that sort of thing means anything to you. Being located roughly midway between SF and LA is handy too. And almost everyone who visits will want to move in!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Bong, I here ya! spent a lot of time on that beach (vertical & horizontal). Just throw on the vinyl of the Surf Punk's (Marina del Rey ain't that far away) "Locals Only" ,suck down a can of luke warm Bud (the last one left in the bottom of the cooler after the ice has all melted), get your head wet and it takes you right back to the place where it all began for a lot of us. This place got mana!
-and that's my two coconuts worth

Is there a better T&A show anywhere than HB on a sunny summer weekend??

Here's a handy guide to SF, specifically written for those thinking of moving or visiting, by a local. Really nice panoramic photos too!
http://www.dreamworld.org/sfguide/

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.