Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mangos, mangos every-freakin'-where!

Pages: 1 13 replies

J

OK, those of us in So. FL will know what I'm harping on. From June to August(ish) depending on what varietal we're talking about, peoples mango trees EXPLODE with fruit. Infinitely more than a family of mango lovin' fools can manage to eat.

So I figured "I'll just get the mangoes, juice some of them and make Tiki drinks therewith."

Only to find scant recipes calling for this most tropical of fruits.

Anyone have any suggestions for incorporating a portion of the twelvety qwillion mangoes on my tree into my cocktail output?

I just tried a recipe last night from cocktaildb, found it intriguing but needs a tweak of some kind, maybe a little sugar, i don't know, something (interesting citrus/mango notes, but tad too dry/tart for me). anyway:

Ponce de Leon

1.5 oz light rum
.5 oz each of grapefruit juice and mango juice
.25 oz lemon juice
shake over ice, strain into cocktail glass.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-06-18 15:38 ]

J

Maybe swap out the regular grapefruit for a sweeter variety of grapefruit?

I've only otherwise used it in mango daiquiri and mango margarita.

Don't know if this will help you, but there are 13 drink recipes here...maybe avoid the Mai Tai...LOL
http://www.thebar.com/en-us/search/drinks-by-flavor/Mango.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=mango%20cocktails&utm_campaign=Flavor+Recipes-Exact&utm_content=sFn4zC1ms|pcrid|6026245343

almost forgot-- I made and liked this one time, got it from the El Dorado website:

Guyanese Rum Punch

2 oz demerara rum
2 & 2/3 oz mango juice (or passionfruit juice)
2/5 oz lime juice
drop of Angostura bitters
--pour into tall ice-filled glass, fill with 5 & 1/3 oz ginger beer.

[note- anybody know how to underline text in this forum?]

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-06-19 09:16 ]

My first wife was from Hawaii, where mangos were common, too. She ate them with salt and cider vinegar. She preferred them not quite ripe, a bit firm. I initially thought not-ripe mangos had a rather distinctive turpentine taste, but I learned to like them, anyway.
I know I've made drinks out of mango nectar, but don't remember exactly what I did. I think it was probably a lime, couple ounces of mango nectar, couple ounces of rum, and maybe a syrup or liqueur, if it was too tart. Actually, I think guava nectar is better for tiki drinks, than mango. This helps you none, though.

H

Swanky has a good Mango Daiquiri recipe here:

How to Choose, Prepare and Drink Mango

S

On 2011-06-20 21:58, Hakalugi wrote:
Swanky has a good Mango Daiquiri recipe here:

How to Choose, Prepare and Drink Mango

I rarely use just Mango. I add whatever else is in season like strawberry and peaches too. We blended a big batch a week ago...

Add a few ounces of light rum in order to allow the fruit to blend, then store it in the fridge or freezer and mix at your leisure.

J

On 2011-06-20 21:40, Limbo Lizard wrote:
[snip]Actually, I think guava nectar is better for tiki drinks

Which is also weird, because one sees hardly ANY recipes that call for guava, either. (Our guava tree still have a few years to go.)

the Leilani Volcano calls for guava. Also, i use guava with OJ and pineapple juice in my Planter's Punch, it blends well with the dark rums.

made a 'mango-tini' last night- 1.5 oz vodka, .5 oz curacao, 3 oz mango juice. tasty.

I am working on a tiki-style mango drink, but ran out of the rum i'm using for it after the first batch. will report back later.

J

Turns out the "Tropical Itch" calls for mango. To wit:

½ oz lime juice
¼ oz cinnamon syrup
1½ oz mango pulp (fresh, but mango puree or frozen pulp might work well, also)
1 oz gin (I had Beefeater's)
1 oz white Puerto Rican rum (I used Cruzan)
2 drops almond extract (I used a tiny dribble of homemade orgeat)

Wife loved it, and it's in my official repertoire now.

whose version is that? (i always thought it was rum, bourbon, and passionfruit juice)

J

That's Beachbum's version of Kon-Tiki's "Tropical Itch" recipe.

Pages: 1 13 replies