Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

South of the Border drinks for this years Tiki Oasis 11

Pages: 1 18 replies

Have you invented or bastardized a drink to fit the theme of Tiki Oasis 11 this year? Theme being "South of the Border"

Does it have all ingredients made in Mexico?
Does It use some type of Tequila or Liqueur exclusive to Mexico?

Are you going to be serving it at Tiki Oasis 11?
in a room party, or on the down low?

please share what you have in store for all.

Jeff(btd)
p.s. I am working on a drink,
but need to get 1 more ingredient
Does anyone know of a Chocolate spread like Nutella
but being made in Mexico?
:wink:

RR

Yes,No,Yes,Yes,Both.

Changing Tiki Drinks to Tequi Drinks?
You could always try these recipes.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-08-08 07:00 ]

For a while I've been resisting tequila as an ingredient (my personal bias; tequila seems to lead to bad times), but now I'm thinking of trying a few substitutions this weekend in advance of Tiki Oasis. If anything remotely interesting comes out of that experimentation, I'll post it here. Worse comes to worse, there's always Jim's Special from Tiki Ti.

Kevin

Jeff, I'm pretty sure there is a chocolate spread - my son said it was very popular in Chile and I think I've seen a Mexican verson in our local markets, I'll get back to you.

Seems any special drink for El Oasis should contain Chili Syrup!

MN

How about Abuelita Mexican Chocolate syrup? It is Nestle but, it might be made in Mexico.

How bout some Horchata for us currently new Non-drinkers. ha ha

Jeff I was wrong about the chocolate spread. My son was eating "manjar" in Chile, very similar to Dulce de Leche - more like very thick sweetened condensed milk.

The Abuelita (or Ibarra) chocolate is very good, it contains cinnamon. I bought some last week to make into ice cream - chocolate, cinnamon, and CHILI POWDER, topped with Kahlua - YUM! :D

So I bastardized the Ancient Mariner recipe, replacing the Demerara rum with tequila. For the Jamaican rum I used Smith & Cross since it can stand up to tequila.

While the drink itself wasn't bad, it felt like a cheat, I wasn't mixing a new drink, just subbing in tequila into an existing recipe. I may try to come up with something more original tomorrow, but it's looking like I'll be sticking to rum for tiki oasis.

Kevin

that's not a cheat.

example-- sub whiskey for rum in a mai tai and you've got a Honi honi, do the same with a scorpion and you've got an Eastern sour.

imo you can absolutely call your creation a new drink. maybe call it an Ancient Aztec Mariner...

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-14 09:07 ]

Cool, thanks for encouragement (and the name!), Porpoise. As such, I tried a new bastardization this evening...a riff on the Hemingway Daiquiri. I dubbed it the "Ernesto Hemingway". Essentially I took most of the components of a Hemingway Daiquiri (as best I could, there are many subtle variations on that recipe), substituting tequila blanco for white rum and adding honey for sweetness. All in all it's not bad, but I still prefer a good rum cocktail.

2 oz tequila blanco (I used Cazadores)
3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapfruit juice
1/2 oz honey mix
1/4 oz maraschino

Shake with ice cubes and strain.

kevin

that sounds great. tequila and grapefruit are a natural match. i wonder how agave syrup would play with the maraschino in lieu of honey. i will try that out (as i am out of honey anyhow) and let you know.

OK- did have enough honey to try out both ways (dont worry sports fans, only drank half of each version). honey definitely the way to go. subtle difference. the agave enhances the tequila profile, while the honey helps the grapefruit stand out a little more.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-14 21:15 ]

Yes, The Donkey Show, uses mexican or south of the border ingredients, and it's Tequila free.

On 2011-08-14 21:55, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Yes, The Donkey Show, uses mexican or south of the border ingredients, and it's Tequila free.

Can't wait!

I found some Mexican chocolate spread type stuff, well actually its Caramel.
But the flavor didn't really matter as much as the look, and that it was Hecho in Mexico.
It's called Coronado, Cajeta

Introducing the "Dirty Sanchez" drink.

1 1/2 oz. Mocambo 20 year dark rum
1 1/2 oz. Don Celso 100% Agave Tequila Anejo
1 oz. Lime Juice
1 oz. Lemon Juice
1/2 oz. 100% Agave nectar
1/2 oz. D'Aristi- Xtabentun Honey-Anisette and Rum, Mayan Liqueur

Then rim the glass with the spread similarly to a salted margarita glass
and serve without a straw. :o
Hence the dirty sanchez part.

It's mighty tasty, and refreshing.
the booze sneaks up on you after 1/2 way thru the 2nd one.

I am not a Tequila Fan per se, but this is a very well balanced Rum/Tequila drink.

I will be making these thru the weekend at random times.
Look for me, and if I am in the mood for one, I may make you one too.
But I am not in the position to do a huge room crawl mass tasting.

Salud,
Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-08-18 00:10 ]

J

In keeping with the theme and, more importantly, the family atmosphere of this event, I'd just like to express how much I am looking forward to experiencing Ran's Donkey Show and receiving a Dirty Sanchez from BTD!

Is it because you don't have a mustache that you love
My Dirty Sanchez so much, or do you really like the drink?
Jeff btd

J

Who said anything about drinks?

DOH!!!
just saw this,
Happy B-day Dirty Sanchez Lover,

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 18 replies