Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hard to Find Ingredients... Let's Share Resources!

Pages: 1 36 replies

Since purchasing my first bartender's guide I've had trouble finding certain ingredients. Since zeroing in on Tiki Drinks the problem has only worsened! I searched my hometown for Months looking for Orgeat only to find several sources of it after ordering a Case of the stuff from Trader Vic's! I visited 5 groceries in one afternoon in search of Passion Fruit Nectar. Perhaps we could all share information we've gathered concerning some of the more-difficult-to-locate ingredients mentioned in books such as the Grog Log and Intoxica.

I'll start it out a list. Please post any links, brand names or suggestions in response.

Cointreau or Triple Sec - Is the difference worth worrying about?
Falernum - Where do you find it?
GOOD Grenadine - Does Anyone Still Make It!?!
Lemongrass Cordial - Availabity?
Maraschino Liqueur - Brand Names?
Orgeat Syrup - Available Brands?
Passionfruit Juice - Brand Names?
Passionfruit Syrup - Can you get it anywhere other than from Trader Vic's?
Pernod - Is it still the best Absynth Substitute available?

Hope others find this interesting and/or informative.

S

As for Falernum - Da Vinci
Orgeat can often be found at coffee houses as a add in. I bought a couple of bottle for $5 each there. Tourani amkes it.
I have a source for Saint James Martinique Rum, and can get all I want.
As for Grenadine, I use the cordial version.

In my meaningless opinion (granted I am no connoisueur)....Contreau or Triple Sec? The difference is like night and day. Go with the Contreau whenever called for. Falernum? We make our own here but it is readily available from DaVinci online. Good grenadine? Trader Vic's or Angustora. NOT Roses. Lemongrass cordial? I haven't heard of it. Maraschino Liqueur? Heering makes a cherry liqueur that is well crafted, 18.00, in stock in most liquor stores, and makes wonderful cocktails. Orgeat? Torani makes a good one (available at Bruno's or Cost Plus World Market)or just order from Trader Vic's. Passionfruit juice? We get a concentrate from a Cisco Foods rep friend of mine. Passionfruit syrup? Torani (what we have and also contains real passionfruit) or Trader Vic's. Pernod? little teeny bottle if you can find it. I make my own Pimento liqueur here...we bottle and label it as Tres Canones (Three Cannons). It ain't Wray and Nephew, but it's here at my fingertips, which is better than the latter.

I have good experience with Monin brand for syrups:
Passion Fruit
Grenadine
Orgeat (very concentrated)

Aquarj said he uses their syrups also, so it means you might be able to get it in the US.

Ran

P.S. and OT : The only downside is that it's French (I try to boycott as much European products as possible since they're boycotting Israeli products, but that's way Off Topic)

If your looking for nectars try Goya brand in the ethnic aisle at your local grocer.

T

On 2003-06-07 03:11, Traitor Vic wrote:
Cointreau or Triple Sec - Is the difference worth worrying about?

It depends on the cocktail. Cointreau is much stronger in flavor so a little goes a long way. If making a drink with few ingredients, such as a Sidecar (brandy, Cointreau, lemon juice), the difference may be noticeable. However, a Sidecar w/Triple Sec will still taste great. But if making a tropical drink with lots of juice and rum you may not be able to tell the difference so why waste money? If you don't have a unlimited budget get both Triple Sec or Orange Curacao for mixing (as different drinks call for each) and Cointreau if you want for special occasions.

Falernum - Where do you find it?

As already mentioned http://www.davincigourmet.com, or wait until the imported stuff hits the shelves this summer (search TC archives for more info).

GOOD Grenadine - Does Anyone Still Make It!?!

see Basement Kahuna's post. Do not refrigerate.

Lemongrass Cordial - Availabity?

No idea

Maraschino Liqueur - Brand Names?

Sorry to have to contradict Kahuna, while Cherry Heering is an excellent cherry cordial from Denmark it is nothing like Maraschino liqueur, which is made from Marasca cherries and pits and is clear, while Heering is red. Luxardo is the most common brand of Maraschino.

Orgeat Syrup - Available Brands?

see above posts. Do not refrigerate

Passionfruit Juice - Brand Names?

Looza

Passionfruit Syrup - Can you get it anywhere other than from Trader Vic's?

see Kahuna's post. Keep it refrigerated after opening as it contains juice.

Pernod - Is it still the best Absynth Substitute available?

Pernod, Herbsaint, Absente - all work equally well. I bought a bottle of Herbsaint to make Sazeracs and use it whenever Pernod or Absinthe is called for. One bottle should last a long time.

M

Has anyone tried making that recipe for alcoholic falernum that was posted a few weeks ago by Lisa?

-martin

KK

Keep your eyes peeled when searching in the liquor store- to my amazement I found a stash of "dead stock" Sazarac's "The Genuine Falernum" , which unlike the DaVinci's does contain alcohol. The bottle tops were pretty dusty and the cashier didn't know what Falernum is so I bought 'em all. He said they could get more but that's doubtful since Sazerac's is long gone. I've got a couple for trade or sale (and one already promised to a north Georgia wood carver) if anyone's interested.

And a certain bowl.....I will reciprocate handsomely for both. When are you coming up? Private message us and we'll talk turkey.

S

That's a very good point. Go to every liquor store in your area. You never know what's there on the shelf. As I found the store down the street always (for at least 8 years now) keeps the St. James in stock, and I found a small bottle of Pernod that still had the old style liquor tax label across the top. Exhaust that search first, and write down where you find stuff. I failed to and can't recall where I saw a few things now.

Has anyone tried making that recipe for alcoholic falernum that was posted a few weeks ago by Lisa?

I'm considering doing so tonight, unfortunately my simple syrup became rock candy... but I didn't put the little sticks in it like TV's Navy Grog, blast!

UB

Cointreau or Triple Sec - Being a professional bartender for 20 years, Cointreau
hands down \ all the way.
Try making a margarita (from scratch, no bottle crap) with both and then "A and B" them. Have Fun!

Yep! The folks in the liquor stores around town are learning my face pretty well and two of 'em even know my name now (of course... one of 'em has for years). The differences can be amazing from one block to the next. Unfortunately, South Carolina has very restrictive ordinances attached to the sale of liquor and our liquor stores are not allowed to sell ANYTHING BUT LIQUOR and WINE. If you want Beer or Orange Juice or Bitters you have to go elsewhere. This cuts way back on the selection offered in the Mixer Departments of the Non-Liquor-Selling establishments. Hmmmmmmmmm... Maybe That's why God made North Carolina and Georgia! I knew there had to be a reason.
Thanks for the suggestions! All sound good so far.

Traitor Vic, I know exactly what you mean. I live in Charlotte, so things are easier up here, but I have found one of the nicest Liquor Stores I have ever seen in SC. It is just south of Charlotte and has just about anything you could ever want, and if they don't have it, they will try and order it. The name of the place is Southern Spirts.

J
JTD posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2003 12:21 PM

Traitor Vic,
You didn't mention my favorite aspect of the South Carolina liquor store - the lack of signage allowed. A word to unsuspecting travelers - SC liquor stores can only be recognized from the street by a large red ball symbol. I think it's a way to keep the tourists moving on their way to Florida.

-JTD

On 2003-06-07 12:20, kick_the-reverb wrote:
I have good experience with Monin brand for syrups:

Can't fault Monin syrups, and they do an enormous number of them . They are 'cheap as chips' over in France, but can get quite expensive elsewhere. They also do:
Cannelle (Cinnamon), Cassis (Blackcurrant), Cerise (Cherry), Coco (Coconut), d'Arielles (Cranberry), Fraise (Strawberry), Framboise (Raspberry), Gingembre (Ginger), Kiwi, Mangue (Mango), Miel (Honey), Mirabelle (Cherry Plum), Sirop d'Anis, Sirop de Caramel (Caramel), Sirop de Melon (Melon), Sirop de Noisette (Hazelnut), Sirop de Peche (Peach), and Vanille (Vanilla). Phew!

Pernod isn't really that close a taste to Absinthe, so unless it's a recipe that only requires a dash of Absinthe/Pernod, I wouldn't bother.

Trader Woody

I just ordered a bottle of Herbsaint today! I can hardley wait to get mixing.

http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/rws28043.html

Excellent! Isn't it wonderful when we share? The Monin stuff is going to be difficult for me, it seems, unless I can order it online. I'm willing to drive, however! I'll even head up towards Charlotte to check out Southern Spirits (maybe even visit my little sister on the way)!
I bought a bottle of Fee Bros. Grenadine this afternoon and it is Marvelous! The Orgeat they make is pretty dang good, too. Too bad they don't have a Website. Thank God they have a telephone and a willingness to sell to Non-Retailers.
I guess, really, that the Hunt is part of the Thrill! I would say that it's the Biggest Part, but the Tasting of something really good kicks the Hunt's butt.

T

On 2003-07-25 23:02, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
I just ordered a bottle of Herbsaint today! I can hardley wait to get mixing.

http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/rws28043.html

You'll be practically set to make the Sazerac, a classic New Orleans cocktail:
Chill an old fashioned glass with plenty of cracked ice. While it's chilling add a teaspoon of superfine bar sugar (or a lump of sugar moistened with a bit of water), 3 drops of Peychaud's bitters (you'll have to find these now as they're required for a Sazerac), 1 dash of Angostura bitters, 1.5 oz. of Rye whiskey (never Bourbon), and cracked ice to a mixing glass. Stir rye mixture well (don't shake or you'll get bubbles).

Now, empty the ice out of the old fashioned glass, add a dash of Herbsaint to the glass, and swirl the Herbsaint to coat the glass fully. Dump any extra out. Now strain the rye mixture into the old fashioned glass. Twist a lemon peel over the drink but do not drop it in - you just want the lemon oils in the drink (if you don't believe that does anything to flavor the drink try twisting it into your eye - Ouch!). Add cherry if desired.

From the book Famous New Orleans Drinks and How To Mix 'Em by Stanley Clisby Arthur (1937).

Here's How!

Glad I could revive a dead thread for this little announcement: Ocean State Job Lots has got a lot hard-to-find juices in. Mango, Peach but best of all, Papaya! Finally, I can make some papaya drinks. Oh, and they still have 100% pomegranite juice for $2.99 for making grenadine.

http://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/osjlprod/locate/default.aspx

Turns out it was GUAVA. Guava is the one I can't find--not papaya. Anyone need four gallons of papaya? (kidding)

Where do you get guava nectar anyways?

What do you do with guava anyway? With papaya you can make a planter's punch.

I use guava juice in one of my Zombie recipes. The Rendez'vous gives you a great recipe one you win thier mug on Ebay..

Cheers!

Rick

On 2007-12-27 19:00, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
What do you do with guava anyway? With papaya you can make a planter's punch.

Oh, the things they're doing with guava nowadays, let's see.... The Lei Lani Volcano and the Maui Sunrise are two. There's s'more in Sippin' Safari. Tomorrow, I make that planter's punch!

Goya brand makes 12 oz. cans of Guava nectar, along with Mango, Guanabana and a nice blend of Pineapple & Passion fruit. They also make Passion fruit alone. The Kerns brand isn't available where I live.
For recipes calling for a fruit punch as an ingredient, I usually use Goya's Tropical Fruit Punch, or Ceres Medley of Fruits - but you have to experiment with those as their flavor can be strong.

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2007-12-28 06:05 ]

I don't know if you're into extracting your own juices...

... :lol: don't that sound nasty ...

... but in season I buy guavas (in the Washington area, rare though they are to find) and make my own guava nectar, which is juice with as much pulp removed as possible.

Due to its rare appearance here, I mainly rely on the Goya brand of frozen pulps, one of which is guava. Besides that they have guanabana, passion fruit, mango, and others. The guava pulp is not as gritty as a fresh guava, but it's still pretty good and definitely convenient. You just have to have the patience to strain the juice out of the pulp with cheesecloth or a straining bag (Scottes located these).

I've found that the Goya pulps make really good nectars. When you can make it from fresh fruit, that's just an occasional treat (unless you can get the fresh fruit year round). Of course, you can buy ready-made guava nectar, of which there are several brands, including Goya's, but they all have preservatives and additives that you bypass when you make the nectar from pulp, plus they don't taste nearly as good.

If you can find Goya fruit pulps in your store, definitely go that route.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2007-12-28 07:47 ]

I have found 11 oz. cans of Jumex brand guava and mango nectar at Wal-Mart and Meijer here in Michigan. At Meijer they are in the international aisle. At Wal-Mart they are on the bottom shelf near the other juice. I have also seen it at a smaller chain of grocery stores in the area. I am pretty sure it is made in Mexico.

K
keola posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2008 10:14 AM

GRENADINE

If the mark of a good grenadine is the taste of pomegranate and use of real pomegranate juice, the best I've found is Stirrings Authentic Grenadine: http://stirrings.com/ingredientsgrenadine.php Stirrings seems to be easy to find, so if your retailer has their other products maybe they can special order the grenadine. BevMo carries it as well.

I've tried Fee Brothers American Beauty Grenadine and it is a step up from Rose's, but Stirrings really tastes like pomegranate white the Fee Brothers has more of a cherry flavor.

Falernum and Orgeat Syrup are both made by Fee Brothers in Rochester, NY. I'm pretty sure they have the maraschino syrup, too, as well as several other non-alcoholic syrups. My source for them (as well as their many varieties of bitters) is Surfa's Chef Supply in Culver City, CA - http://www.surfasonline.com/

Has anyone been able to purchase any of the Premier Essence products recommended by Jeff Berry in Sippin' Safari. I've emailed them several times for information, but received no reply.

S

Yeah, the Mexican section at the grocery store is the place for Apricot, Guava, Payapa, Peach and other nectars for The Bums recipes.

G

On 2008-01-25 08:23, GentleHangman wrote:
Has anyone been able to purchase any of the Premier Essence products recommended by Jeff Berry in Sippin' Safari. I've emailed them several times for information, but received no reply.

My recommendation is don't bother. I bought bottles of their Passion Fruit syrup and Orgeat. Both were awful and got dumped down the drain. It was very disappointing. I was expecting something good. I know what quality passion fruit and orgeat syrups taste like and these weren't even close. Finest Call makes a far better passion fruit syrup (surprisingly enough).

Thanks for the info GatorRob - you've saved me from frustration and disappointment!
I usually make my own Passion Fruit syrup but was more interested in the Orgeat - I guess I'll stick with my Teisseire French Orgeat.

On 2008-01-01 08:32, kahikikiki wrote:
I have found 11 oz. cans of Jumex brand guava and mango nectar at Wal-Mart and Meijer here in Michigan. At Meijer they are in the international aisle. At Wal-Mart they are on the bottom shelf near the other juice. I have also seen it at a smaller chain of grocery stores in the area. I am pretty sure it is made in Mexico.

I have to second the Jumex brand guava juice. Target and what ever else they are named should have it. 39 centavos or so for a can is pretty good compared to a grocery store. And it isn't even pink. Hmm. :)

Just to through my 2 cents in.....

"Cointreau or Triple Sec - Is the difference worth worrying about? "
The difference is quite stark. Triple Sec is low proof, high in residual sugar, and less intense in orange flavour than Cointreau. A great quality Cointreau knock-off is made by Luxardo, Triplum. It's 1/3rd less expensive than Cointreau, and every bit as good. Here's a link: http://www.luxardo.it/product.aspx?ID=787

"Falernum - Where do you find it?"
I can't find anything but Fee's here in the Midwest. It works in most recipes, though i would like to try something better. I buy mine at The Cork 'n Bottle, in Covington, Kentucky just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. http://corknbottle.com Great selection of esoteric rum, rye, bourbon and liqueurs as well.

"GOOD Grenadine - Does Anyone Still Make It!?!"
Stirrings is the ONLY real Grenadine on the market, at least to my knowledge. It's made with real pomegranate; the others are just sugar syrup with red dye #41.

"Lemongrass Cordial - Availabity?"
You've got me on this one.

"Maraschino Liqueur - Brand Names?"
Luxardo Maraschino has been the gold standard for well over 100 years. http://www.luxardo.it/product.aspx?ID=778

"Orgeat Syrup - Available Brands?"
I use Torani, and it's great, IMHO. Better than the Monin, more almond flavour and better viscosity.

"Passionfruit Juice - Brand Names?"
Looza are arguably the finest quality, IMHO. And they are widely available at gourmet food stores here in the Midwest.

"Passionfruit Syrup - Can you get it anywhere other than from Trader Vic's?" I use Fee's, and it is just OK. Nothing special at all.

"Pernod - Is it still the best Absynth Substitute available?"
Pastis Prado Pastis, from Marseillaise, France is probably the most artisanal Pastis made in France today. No, it's not Absinthe. However most of the great Tiki (and Pre-Prohibition Classic Cocktails as well) probably were not made with real Absinthe, as it was illegal in The States since the 19th Century.

Finest Call Passion Fruit syrup is quite good. I would almost call it a puree because of how thick it is. It is not overly sweet and it boasts a really high fruit content %. In California, it can be found everywhere in 1L bottles for around $3.50. The Auntie Lilikoi is a wonderful homemade style syrup. Very, very sweet, but works like a charm in cocktails. It must be ordered directly from Hawaii. They do have very fast shipping. BTW, almost all of the Finest Call fruit syrups are quickly gaining a great reputation since so many other companies have changed their formulas to cheaper, artificial flavorings.

Sonoma Syrup company has a cinnamon syrup, orgeat, and a grenadine. I will try to pick some up Friday although I prefer to make my own.

Here's a link: http://www.sonomasyrup.com/product0.html

Pages: 1 36 replies