Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Chunk Lamps by the original artist. 8/25/19 If you have one please post a photo here.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 179 replies

W

Can you post pictures of them Bongo? I can email them to Roger Bodine and ask him if he made them.

Chris

Hi Wendy, On the lamps, they look like Laguna Lamps but the first photo is a long photo shot and I can’t see any details. The shape is correct, but there could be a copy cat lurking about. But….seems like everyone that made lamps had their own unique style, design and shapes. Get me a close up and I will probably be able to tell you for sure. Looks like a #102 which was the most popular shape.

Second photo on the left shows a 3 sided pyramid, then a reversal. If you look at the Laguna Lamps brochure, that is called a #103 (rather rare because not too many were purchased). The other one on the right is not a good enough photo for me to tell. Get a straight on close up for me and I’ll let you know. Roge

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-01-05 20:57 ]

This is super fun. I love how you are all tying Laguna Lamps/ Roger Bodine to all these super cool tiki places. I hope you all will continue to find and document his place in tiki history. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy & Dan, to answer Bongo Bungalo’s question below, I never put any I.D. on the lamps. Sorry to this day. But not sorry I made them, was fun then too. Roge

Hey Roge, Dan and I had an idea concerning your lamps. Why not have them as bedroom lamps. They sure put out a beautiful light. We went to World Market place and for $10 each we bought two wire and rope baskets. We turned them upside down and they are perfect for keeping the lamps ventilated. I wish our photos would show how terrific they look but at least they give an idea. High up or low your lamps are beautiful. Wendy

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-01-06 10:58 ]

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtLampDesignByRoger?page=1

Roge and I are working on the next design that ties his lamps to tiki. This time we are doing a lamp that will have the Bumatay, shells, seahorses and turtles. I've started the step by step photos on my crafts thread but here's where I'm at today with the Bumatay.

Thanks for looking, Wendy

i'm diggin the 3 sided triagular long ones.... any hope of getting one or 2 of them in the future?? I have limited space, so the larger chunk lamps are not an option but i can definately squeeze a couple of those narrow ones, staggered into a corner of the room.

Hi Tipsy, I'll forward your request to Roge. Thank you for your interest, Wendy

TZ

I love the look of the resin chunk swags. I'd like to use several in an outdoor space, but it gets blasted by the sun and I know from prior experience that UV eats up most sythetics there. I'm considering cutting the bottom out of wine bottles and gluing on glass chunks to immitate the effect of the resin chunk style. Any suggestion as to a transparent adhesive that could handle the UV and heat expansion?

[ Edited by: Tiki Zen 2012-01-11 10:54 ]

Hi Tipsy here is Roge response to your question.

Hi Wendy, the reason for not making too narrow an area between the walls inside is because of heat. Sometimes people will use a 150w bulb and that can discolor the panel (hot spot) due to the heat. Even a 100w is high when too narrow a space. Remember when that bulb is on, you cannot even touch it! So my minimum now is 7” from inside to inside. The resin can burn so safety is important.

Now I can make the lamp with smaller rock/chunks and a bit longer to give it that look. I do not want to end up taking lamps back because of being to narrow.

If someone wants to buy a narrower made lamp unwired and they rewire it for a LED low heat, etc. then I will give them a $30 discount off my wiring parts & labor and no 30 day guarantee. So I am open to discussing this further…….

Hi Tiki Zen, I'm of no help when it comes to making these lamps. I'm the Roge for the tikis but Roge makes the lamps. He doesn't share his trade secrets with me. Sorry I can't answer your question. Maybe Roge or tikiskip can help you. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-01-14 11:39 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-13 08:32 ]

We were with Dan's mom all day yesterday so I just worked a bit of clay for Roge's next lamp. The Bumatay will be the center piece and then there will be other sea creatures and shells. I used a 4.5 inch seahorse as a model for a 3.5 inch sculpt.

Mom was so happy I was making something other than a tiki. She wishes I was making dolls which is what she collects. Sorry mom-in-law I love tikis!

Sketched out the seahorse and cut off the excess with a huge knife.

Smoothed it out with my fingers.

Worked on the face and added the backbone.

Added the detail to the back fin.

This is as far as I could go, there is no light in the home. I'll finish it at ours.

So I thought I knew what a turtle looked like because I had one when I was a child.

So I played around with it the rest of the night.

Today I went to google and scanned images under Hawaiian Turtle. Wow was I off. I didn't even have sea turtle in my mind at all. So I'll use this one as a base and fix it until it's like this drawing. I had fun anyway and mom loved it.

There's always something fun to work on, cheers, Wendy

I like the bumatey design and concept Wendy , I may be down for one of these .

T

Today when I arrived at my Mother-in-law's home, the birthday present from my wife was awaiting: a Blue & Green Tiki Lamp by Roge Bodine (ArtLampDesignByRoger) with Tikis by Wendy. It is a beautiful work of art! Here are a couple of as-received photos; more to come after I hang it at the beach house next weekend...

-Tom

[ Edited by: TikiTomD 2012-01-15 17:28 ]

Wow Tom, its so fun to see another color set up with the Tiki Lamp. I'll look forward to seeing it hung and lit.

Here's an update on the Sea Life design lamp. I've gotten two sea horses and the Bumatay. Today at mom's I'll work on a sea turtle and think up a few more things that would work.

I will add texture to the Sea Horses when I decide what will look best.

Cheers, Wendy

To Order or view one of Roge's lamps go to;

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-01-18 10:53 ]

Wow, I get to post number 4000. I love numbers. Today I worked on the honu. So far this is what I have for the next Roge lamp. More to go. Cheers, Wendy

T

Beautiful work, Wendy! Very creative on the "Bumatay" fish. I'll bet even old Floyd is fine with that marine turtle. Can't wait to see how this all comes together in a lamp...

-Tom

K

So awesome!! I see a turretella in the mix! Can't wait to see these pieces in a lamp!!

Thank you Tom and Kahaka, same here because I love Roge's lamps too. Here's where I'm at today. A starfish and a shell are now added to the mix. (: Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-01-23 09:08 ]

I just saw one of rogers lamps on t.v. the other night.... had to be one of his cause it was new, not vintage and had the large chunks, no small gravel pieces.... now if i can only remember which show it was.... I think it was american restoration or pawn stars.... they were at someones house or something. i meant to post right after the show but got sidetracked...

T

Wendy, I installed the blue & green resin chunk Tiki lamp I received from Pat as a birthday present this past weekend; here is one photo, several more are posted here...

-Tom

Hi Tipsy, I'm bummed to have missed whatever show it was. Here's what Roge said about your post this morning.

Hi Wendy, one of my daughters told me about the show also! I have not seen it. That “70’s Show” on TV has an amber/gold 15” globe in their basement area where they meet.

Most of my vintage lamps were of medium to large chunks also.

See you………

……Roge

TikiTomD, that is so cool. I'll send the photos off to Roge. Thank you for sharing the photos. Wendy

the lamp I saw was the diamond shaped one and it was entirely orange or read chunks. no other colors.

Here is the Chunk lamp from That 70's Show.

It is not the one that Tipsy saw.

DC

Wow Dustycajan, coming up with these photos is so amazing. I'm sending them off to Roge this morning. Thank you so very much,

Here are the latest additions I've sculpted for the Bumatay light. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-01-25 08:08 ]

Wow, you are really having fun with that theme. You should see Bosko and Truus' collection of resin seahorses, they have a wall-full. What an amazing array of sea life there, Wendy, this lamp is gonna be like an aquarium! :) I think Bahooka's should buy a bunch of them, they'd be perfect in there!

Please allow me one frank observation, though:

I was very excited when you chose that Bumatay Tiki for your next design, I have always loved that design, especially since I found that Lava bowl I put in the BOT:

Then I bought the mug at the Hala Kahiki, and the best most recent find was AbstractTiki's photo of the Islander interior with the actual Tiki in it.

So imagine my surprise when I experienced what effect your addition of the fins on top and on the sides had on me: All of a sudden, I saw a fish - not a Tiki anymore! It was quite stunning, actually. Now with the added sea life pieces, the transformation is even more complete.

I don't know if anybody else sees it that way, but I would predict that for those folks who have never seen a Bumatay, this will be a more of a Fish lamp, not so much a Tiki lamp. There ain't nothing wrong with that, of course - It WILL be a stunner!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-01-25 13:31 ]

Hi Sven, I did look at both the original Bumatay and the Islander mug. I choose the later because very few collectors have see the original. We love the bowl whose foot you show.

Talking about vintage seahorses this is my bathroom.

You are absolutely right that I'm having a blast making all these sea creatures. Since there are four panels to a lamp each side will be different except for the Bumatay centerpiece. Well that's how I'd make it. Roge will make the lamp as desired by the buyer. That makes each one unique.

Here's what I made yesterday.
Angel fish

Float

Puffer

Just in case it might look good Roge asked for a tail fin for the Bumatay as shown here.

The hard part is not making undercuts so they can be molded. I've started an anchor! Cheers, Wendy

:o :lol: :lol:

Hohkeeeh, you win! I didn't even know they MADE that many! :)

I love the gently smiling puffer fish.

I think I have finished the sculpts for the next Roge Chunk Lamp. This one will center around the Bumatay. Yesterday Dan and I molded the Bumatay I'll put the step by steps on my other crafts thread.

Here's a new lamp Roge just put on Etsy.

N

I recently bought a lamp from Roge, and couldn't be happier. He is a great guy, who builds a beautiful lamp.

As you can see, i slightly modified mine by adding a tapa/bamboo/rope bottom-- to further help diffuse light and align better in my tiki bar.

-scott noteboom

W

That's a nice lamp! Thanks for the picture.

Chris

Gosh, we were in San Jose this morning on our way home from Santa Cruz. It looks like your home would be fun to visit. Let us know if you are coming our way in the future.

I wonder if the seam materials can stand the extra heat build up. I'm sending this page on to Roge. It sure looks great, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-08 07:35 ]

Wendy-- once we finish this beast, I'm sure we will have it on a future tiki crawl. would love to show it to you whenever you're in town though.

as far as the heat..... i'm running a low heat CFL bulb, so it's not stacking any heat inside. hopefully should suffice.

thanks,

-scott

notebooms we have gone on one of the crawls in your area. We made all the stops except we got lost with our GPS on a mountaintop looking for tikitastik! We would love to see your place one day.

Here's the next step by steps for the next project the Bumatay lamp. I need to deliver four Bumatay's to Roge along with all the other sea life sculpts.

The molds were dry enough to pour.

Pouring very slowly to prevent air bubbles from being trapped.

Even with these one sided molds I hit the sides with a hammer to dislodge air bubbles.

I over poured the sides so I'll have something to hold onto to pull the Bumatay out of the molds.

When the slip had shrunk from water being pulled out by the mold I added some more. I wanted the fins to be filled up because they are not very thick.

After 1 hour I poured out what was left and then rubbed some additional clay into the fin areas.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-09 08:44 ]

Thank you for keeping on eye on my progress. I'm trying really hard to get these done so Roge can go to work on the Sea Life Bumatay lamps.

Yesterday went well. I went to work on the two Bumatay's. The molds worked really well. It was a good day.

The clay in the mold felt firm enough to lift.

They each came out of their molds easily.

In the middle is my favorite clay tool the label scraper.

I used the scraper to cut away the excess clay.

I added detail to the sides. Two down two to go.

I've had the fan on the molds over night. I hope we will be able to pour again today. Cheers, Wendy

Those are awesomeand would also make great wall hangings

Hi Dawn, you are right. Roge has made extras of the other two tikis I sculpted for his lamps and has drilled nail holes in the back so they may be hung. I think he'll do the same for this one. The rest of the sea life creatures are too tiny.
I'm sure enjoying your paintings as they come to life.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=17407&forum=18&start=705

_Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-10 15:04 ]

IMPORTANT CORRECTION MADE ON PRICE. MY ERROR.

Hi Wendy, on one of your posts to TIPSY, you said I would give a 30% discount on an unwired lamp. That should have been $30 off for wiring parts & labor.

Tiki Zen mentioned UV rays hurting the lamps. I have had a couple of the resin chunk lamps hanging outside for most of 45 years ALMOST without any problems except the wiring looked a bit done in but still worked. I washed off one with hot water and soap and sprayed it with a satin clear finish and it looked very good. Sold it a few months ago. The other one had one small hairline crack on the putty seam which took about 10 minutes to fix.

…….Roge

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360411032104

KonaCat has a magazine full of wonderful photos of his home with his Resin chunk lamp collection. Roge says that the only ones that could be his are the globes. I need to contact KonaCat to see if there are any labels inside the lamps.

Meanwhile I have fired the Bumatay for the next lamp style. They come out of the kiln tomorrow and then if they haven't exploded its off to Grass Valley to drop all the sculptures off.

I also cast some of the Bumatay so I could make a fish bowl. I made this yesterday.

Roger has lots of lamps made for sale with and without tikis. Check them out and enjoy. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-02-22 10:05 ]

Hi Friends, we made the trip to Grass Valley yesterday to take more sculpts to Roge. He and Miguel have been busy building up some stock for sale and I took some photos. One new development is a wonderful open bottom lamp that can hang over a table.

I do need to do some more work on my tiny sea creatures. They were not thick enough to mold so I brought them back home. The four Bumatay came out of the kiln just fine and they are going to mold them soon. A lamp could be made with just the Bumatay and big chunks.

Here's some of what they have available right now from Roge on Etsy. Cheers, Wendy

Hi Friends, Roge is now selling just the two heads I sculpted. Any color of your choice and he'll drill a hole for those who wish to hang them on the wall. Thanks for looking, Wendy

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95046432/tiki-reproduction

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95042580/easter-island-moai-statue-tiki?ref=v1_other_2

The mold of the Bumatay has been made. The rest of the sculptures need a base added before casting.

If you would like a lamp with these and chunks but no other sealife creatures just let Roge know.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-03-11 15:31 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-03-11 15:34 ]

Hi Friends, I've actually gotten back to working on the sea life creatures that may be added to a Bumatay lamp. I needed to make them thicker so they can be set into the resin instead of on top of it. Cheers, Wendy

The clay is very hard unless heated to 150 degrees.

Pressed in the sculpts.

Cut around the clay.

Worked to seal them.

More to do and then comes the fine tuning to repair this work.

Roge is ready to make lamps that fit your color scheme and desires!
Cheers, Wendy

More work on sea creatures for the Bumatay Lamp. Soon these will all be fine tuned and taken to Roge in Grass Valley. Cheers, Wendy

I've been spending time on the Chunk Lamp sculpts adding clay to the bottoms. This is the shark tail and a tiny octopus.

Next I did the shark head. Here I'm adding a lip on top of the teeth.

View of the teeth.

Another angle.

Now I want a larger octopus.

Forming the head.

Shaping it.

I want it to tilt back so I cut a piece from the bottom back and added it to the front.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-03-24 10:52 ]

OOOOO! I can't wait to see that one done.

T

Looks to be moving the tiki community forward. Beautiful stuff

It just keeps getting better & better!!!

teaKEY, Big Kahuna and VampiressRN, thank you for the posts and comments. I've been so busy that I didn't get back to work on these sculpts until yesterday. Now they are done. I just need to hook up with Roge in Grass Valley so the next step can be taken to make the Bumatay lamps. Finally I'm getting all these projects done. Cheers, Wendy

A full size mom octopus to go with the baby octopus.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-04-07 11:28 ]

Yesterday turned on a dime. I put away all of my clay tools so I could start painting the mugs when Roge said, "hey I can meet you at my shop today". So we jumped in the car and did the 4 hour round trip from Elk Grove to Grass Valley.

We dropped off the sea life sculptures and picked up a few Bumatay heads.

We also had fun seeing his lamps that are on Etsy for sale. Here's our day.

Roge gets the box of my sculpts.

A corner of his workspace.

The Bumatay.

A table with the Moai head the Bumatay. Also an assortment of whales by Miguel.

Miguel has made a whale of a chunk lamp. His looked so good I am extra excited to see how mine turns out.

Dan turns on the lamps so we may enjoy them.

The lamp in the middle is an experiment that worked. The resin is neither clear nor black it is rose. A whole new ambiance.

Roge hopes to mold the sculpts with Miguel tomorrow and to have the first prototype lamp ready by May 1st!

I hope you all have a special day. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-04-08 08:59 ]

Aaaah, looking at chunky resin goodness always makes my day! :)

I like all those little sculpted sea life additions you're making - really takes the chunk lamp to a new level. endless possibilites going down this road.... keep it up !!

I would like to see you cast some half round bamboo pieces.... I can see these with molded bamboo cast pieces in various colors with bits of the chunks thrown in around them....maybe glue a bunch of vertical half round bamboo pieces side by side on a piece of wood to cast as light panels on a four sided lamp...in colors !!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 179 replies