Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut: Exotica Sunday with Tom, Syd & Ian starting at 4pm

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 402 replies

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2012 7:44 PM

Added you BACK onto vendor list. If Ben cancel again, it won't be the "VENDOR" list GROG will be updating, but it will be a list.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2012 7:45 PM

Don't know what happenend. TC hiccup.

[ Edited by: GROG 2012-03-15 11:51 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2012 7:45 PM

[ Edited by: grog 2012-03-15 11:49 ]

Sticky Mouse Grog? Hmmm....

I'll have a couple Cousin IT lamps for sale....

TH

New "Bastard" at TH today between 4 and 8pm!!!

TT

I hear this "Bastard" thing is going down at 6pm!!!
See you then!

Here's some photos from last night...

[ Edited by: Tonga Tom 2012-03-19 22:58 ]

TH

As if there wasn't enough fun going on, you can also become a member of the...
TONGA HUT RUM RHUM CLUB at it's inaugural gathering 3pm March 31st!!!
This club is dedicated to the tasting and experiencing of new and vintage rums from around the world.

Tonga Hut Since 1958

L.A.'s Oldest Tiki Bar
12808 Victory Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
Avail. for Special Events @ the Hut or Location

[ Edited by: tonga hut 2012-03-19 21:59 ]

JB

A few more pix from Sunday...

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2012 3:46 PM

Bartender Sara will be joining the ranks of the Drooling Bastards tonight at 8:30, so come join us to celebrate.

Next Saturday is Tiki Magazine Release Party. We'll have vendors ALL DAMNED DAY (should have started the vending at 2pm instead of 12pm, but Oh well, that gives us more time to hang out and visit---everybody wear plenty of sunscreen!)

The new Rhum Club will be starting, so come taste some rums you may not have had the chance to taste before.

Marty Lush and the Latin Livers starts at 8pm. They are going to kick everybody out of the bar at 7:30 and you pay $10 to get in to see His Royal Lushness perform.

Ees gonna be fon!!

TT

Tonga Hut's own Sara became a BASTARD tonight with her final drink...the Q.B. Cooler!!! Congrats Sara!!!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2012 2:23 PM

There will be drink specials for the Tiki Mag release party this Saturday, and the Taco Lady will be outside serving up some delicious Mexican food.

Bring cash to buy stuff from vendors/artists.

GROG bringing "Rory Brown" Ape mugs (Wildsvilleman like brown mugs). GROG bringing 23 from limited edition of 25. They are $50 each and whatever doesn't sell at the event goes up on ebay.

LIMIT 1 PER PERSON.

They were originally glazed by Wildsvilleman, but the glaze came out a little uneven. (Hard to find good help these days) GROG fix as best GROG can, and they go back into the kiln today.

[ Edited by: grog 2012-03-30 14:28 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2012 2:26 PM

Don't PM GROG to get one or reserve one. 1st come 1st served at the Tonga Hut, and none will be sold before Saturday.

You know the Drill people. The Official Event Mug Sold for 120-330 dollars on Ebay and that was almost 45 Mug's.
This is a single Color Mug at a very cost effective price that we will give you first rights too as a Tiki Fan and to Support the show,BUT if you do not take advantage of them someone across the globe will.

Buy it because you love it and buy it because you know it's a smok'in deal.

whats more primitive then Brown?

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: wildsville man 2012-03-28 15:10 ]

On 2012-03-28 14:36, Wildsville man wrote:
This is a single Color Mug at a very cost effective price that we will give you first rights too as a Tiki Fan
Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

Considering the Paint and the picture by Ernie, I think these are all one of ones :D

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2012-03-28 15:42 ]

O.K. people don't P.M. me either. I am glad to see a demand for these guy's but it will need to be first come-first served.

See ya on Saturday.

Cheers

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 30, 2012 10:57 AM

To help make sure as many people as possible have a chance to get a mug, the "Rory Brown" limited edition Ape mugs will be limited to one per person. Rory and Amy have the first two, so there are only 23 left in this edition.

We'll have a couple of Als at the Hut Saturday. Crazy Al is hoping to have some mugs ready to sell, and Tiki Al will be peddling some of his wares.

And of course the new Tiki Magazine will be there HOT off the presses (have they arrived yet Nick?) and they'll have some fun stuff besides the magazine.

Marie will be serving up the tasty concoctions, then Lisa Marie will be comnig on as well. Drink specials and special drinks will be served. Usually the bar gets pretty slammed during events, so if you're working on your GROG LOG for the Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard they may not be able to make those drinks during the event.

Don't forget, the RHUM CLUB starts tomorrow as well, so if you like to sip rum...

An amazing mug in any color!

Val and I are bummed that we'll be missing this event on Saturday. Similar to John-O, we'll be conducting important tiki research in the eastern sierras. Sorta.

Aiming to be back in time for Sunday night, in case anyone is left standing from Saturday's event(s). :D

Kevin

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 30, 2012 6:53 PM

Thanks Zero. Sorry you can't make it to the Tiki Mag release party Heylow9.

GROG have a couple of "one-of" ape mugs in the kiln along with a few things that needed fixes. They won't be out of the kiln by the time GROG need to leave to start t vending at the Tonga Hut, but GROG may be able to leave later on and come back and pick them up if they came out OK. Here's what they look like BEFORE they went into the kiln. Once baked, they will look totally different (glazes are so weird). The green on these guys will actually be clear glaze. Definitely weird.

If they came out OK and don't need any fixes, then GROG will bring them to the Tonga Hut. All the Artist Proofs and ONE-OFs sold on ebay for $150 to $300. GROG will offer these at $150, but if they don't sell, then up on ebay they go.

Grog, in case you have any last minnit fixes, I am sure you have your stone age Swiss knife handy!:

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 30, 2012 11:22 PM

That the deluxe edition Bigbro. GROG could only afford the basic caveman Swiss knife.

Stop Monkeying around and get down to the Tonga Hut,Dig?

I am on my way to the Tonga Hut as we speak with Amy so we can talk about an October Event.

Stop on by and say Hi,or ask any of those deep questions you have been meaning to ask.

and for God's sake get your Monkey Mug

W

I've never seen the Tonga Hut. Will the Tonga Hut itself also be open at noon? Or not until 4pm?

Today's the big day! See everyone at the Tonga Hut!

The Rum Rhum Club sounds great. I cannot make it by 3, though. Got my tax appointment this afternoon. Hopefully I can catch the end of it.

About to brave the 405 to the 605 to the 5 to the 101

On 2012-03-31 12:04, Hidden Village wrote:
About to brave the 405 to the 605 to the 5 to the 101

You sound like a wuss..MAN UP!!

MARTY! Listening to "Latin Lush" yet again and wishing I could be there to hear the sounds of the mighty Livers tonight. Instead, I'll just say "Rompe una pierna!" Give that cummerbund a good workout and much love from your TJO bretheren & sisteren. VIVA LUSH! -Andy

K

Great event yesterday! Marty and his Livers were amazing yet again! I can't wait to dive into my copy of Tiki Magazine. And thank you to Grog, Amy, and Jeremy for allowing me my first vending experience! I had lots of fun, and sold some items. Despite the sporatic sprinkles, it was still a great day :)
Thanks to EO for the suggestion :)

So much happened today, I almost forgot to mention the Rum Rhum Club! So much Lemonhart in so little time creates drunken tikiphiles! It was a very informative session. I enjoyed being able to finally taste the 'new' versus 'old' along with some amazing vintage offerings. Can't wait for the next one!

[ Edited by: Krisdrama 2012-04-01 08:16 ]

JB

Great event. great job by Doctor Lush and his and of gifted musicians (including a cameo by Jeremy on guitar)
All put together in celebration of the latestTiki Magazine beautifully put together by Nick & his staff. GREAT JOB all!!

M

Great time last night! I don't make it out to the Tonga Hut enough. Every square foot of that place was utilized last night and Marty Lush and the Latin Livers were en fuego! So great to see Marie engineering cocktails behind the bar again! Mahalo to Amy for letting me swipe the Kirby map of tikis from her! Tonga Hut no ka oi!

On 2012-04-01 08:39, Joe Banks wrote:

Aw, that's me getting my book signed by Sven! :) Thanks Joe, for taking the picture!

This was my first Tiki vending experience, and I was very happy to get some prints, matchbooks, and the lovely orange Treasure Craft tray & ashtray from Sven in the left of the photo. :D

Thanks to the Hut for holding this, even in the drizzle, and thanks to the vendors for coming out!

--TheLeakyTiki

The Rum Rhum Club is brilliant and has set the bar very high with meeting number one. Only problem was we left our newly purchased Ape mug behind. We had it on the bar, filled it with one of Marie's concoctions. Didn't remember until this morning that we came home without it. It's number 16 out of 25 if anyone finds it. Thanks a lot

Looked like a great time. Bummed I missed this :(. But there will be other events. :)

JB
TT

Thanks for the videos Scott, especially since I missed the intro.

I have so many photos to look through.
Hopefully I can get some up before I go back to TH today.

TT

Well, here's a few photos...

Yesterday was a great time!
I had never met a single one of you before the event, but felt like I had 30 new friends by the time I left. Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Also wanted to say thanks again to those who stopped by to chat,take a look at my shop, or made a purchase. Enjoy the Aloha shirts!

Wow, what a fun time we had yesterday! Thanks Amy and Jeremy for hosting this great event.
And after looking at Joe Banks' and Tonga Tom's pics we wanna go back and do some more shopping!
Picked up a killer-diller aloha shirt from TikiRootsRocka (thanks again, Mike!)

And what a great set by Marty Lush and the Latin Livers
(seen here with Tonga Hut's own axe-man Jeremy who shredded on "Oye Como Va")

If Marty and the Livers can't make you want to dance - who can?

WHO was everyone MESMERIZED by?
(my eyes are still burning...)

Yes, it is MARTY LUSH - MAN OF LUUUUV!!!

More photos please! More cowbell!

p.s. props to Joe Banks for posting the set opener on YouTube - NICE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpl6N4bD7JY

Aloha!
Glenn & Carol

W

Is that the "Bum" in the yellow shirt and hat?

Thanks for the pictures!

JB

That "bum" is the one and only brilliant tiki carver Tiki-Ray!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2012 12:52 PM

Tiki Ray DOES look a bit like Beachbum Berry in that photo!

Thanks everybody for coming to the event, supporting the Tonga Hut, Tiki Magazine, and the vendors. Thanks to those of you that drove all the way up from San Diego and those who came all the way down from the Bay area (Dan and Wendy, and Sandra Dee).

Marty Lush and the his Latin Livers put on a killer show as usual. Thanks Jeremy and Amy for hosting the the Tiki Mag release party, and all the bartenders and the barback for the excellent drinks and service. Thanks Tonga Tom for designing the fliers, DJaying out in the parking lot, and documenting the event in photos. Thanks Kari for the chocolate. And, good seeing you out in public again Atomikitty. We're deeply sorry to hear about the passing of Adam's dad last week. And, thanks Dave and Rebecca from Purple Orchid for coming out and supporting fellow Tiki Bars.

This is one of the best Tiki Mags so far, thanks Nick. And, thanks for suggesting we have the release party at the Tonga Hut (which has an article in the magazine), and that we have Marty Lush and the Latin Livers perform (also in the magazine), and that we have vending at the event (with many artists who have been in the magazine). Thanks Brad Ableson, awesome Simpsons artist and co-creator of GOOD VIBES on MTV. The poster art you did with caricatures of so many people from the Tiki community is awesome. Congratulations on the show (with a Tiki Bar in it) and congrats on the article in Tiki Magazine., and thanks for coming to hang with us at Tonga Hut.

Thanks to vendors for vending for such a long day with a little pissy weather at the beginning. Next time we're definitely starting the vending a bit later in the day. And thanks Taco Lady for keeping us fed all day with the delicious Mexican food.

Big thanks to Ken Ruzic for not coming out and ruining the event for everybody.

On 2012-04-02 12:52, GROG wrote:
Tiki Ray DOES look a bit like Beachbum Berry in that photo!

Thanks everybody for coming to the event, supporting the Tonga Hut, Tiki Magazine, and the vendors. Thanks to those of you that drove all the way up from San Diego and those who came all the way down from the Bay area (Dan and Wendy, and Sandra Dee).

Marty Lush and the his Latin Livers put on a killer show as usual. Thanks Jeremy and Amy for hosting the the Tiki Mag release party, and all the bartenders and the barback for the excellent drinks and service. Thanks Tonga Tom for designing the fliers, DJaying out in the parking lot, and documenting the event in photos. Thanks Kari for the chocolate. And, good seeing you out in public again Atomikitty. We're deeply sorry to hear about the passing of Adam's dad last week. And, thanks Dave and Rebecca from Purple Orchid for coming out and supporting fellow Tiki Bars.

This is one of the best Tiki Mags so far, thanks Nick. And, thanks for suggesting we have the release party at the Tonga Hut (which has an article in the magazine), and that we have Marty Lush and the Latin Livers perform (also in the magazine), and that we have vending at the event (with many artists who have been in the magazine). Thanks Brad Ableson, awesome Simpsons artist and co-creator of GOOD VIBES on MTV. The poster art you did with caricatures of so many people from the Tiki community is awesome. Congratulations on the show (with a Tiki Bar in it) and congrats on the article in Tiki Magazine., and thanks for coming to hang with us at Tonga Hut.

Thanks to vendors for vending for such a long day with a little pissy weather at the beginning. Next time we're definitely starting the vending a bit later in the day. And thanks Taco Lady for keeping us fed all day with the delicious Mexican food.

Big thanks to Ken Ruzic for not coming out and ruining the event for everybody.

Great job Ernie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ernie did an amazing job setting up the vendors and artists. Marty and the Latin Livers was totally terrific! I want to thank everyone who came out in the bad weather and the cold weather to join us! I agree it was great to see all the regulars and all who traveled from down south, Cory, and Susan Nelson, Karen Adler, Dr Z, Sabu, David and Rebecca, And Sandra Dee who cameall the way from SF!

So big thanks to all from me and Jeremy.

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2012-04-02 13:03 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2012 1:16 PM

Please keep your eyes out for The Mighty Woo's Ape mug that got lost at the Tonga Hut. It looks like the mugs Rory has posted on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/rorysnyder/m.html?hash=item3cc47900ff&item=260994302207&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_trksid=p4340.l2562

(Told you they were going up on ebay if they didn't all sell out at the Tonga Hut).

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2012-04-02 13:17 ]

and 3 already SOLD for over$100 each....your window has closed on saving

W

On 2012-04-02 07:25, Joe Banks wrote:
That "bum" is the one and only brilliant tiki carver Tiki-Ray!

Sorry, my apologies to Tiki-Ray if offended. None intended.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 402 replies