Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut: Exotica Sunday with Tom, Syd & Ian starting at 4pm

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 402 replies

In Summary, this Sunday Tonga Hut has a charity event, a visit from Fatherr Tiki, me finishing the Grog Log, Tonga Tom spinning fine tunes!

Side note our famous 'Taco Lady' will be showing up around 6pm. Yummy Nosh!

man,...I need a mai tai....

Taco lady too, kick ass!
Don't forget to wear your blue too, right?

On 2012-06-17 12:02, Tonga Tom wrote:
Taco lady too, kick ass!
Don't forget to wear your blue too, right?

You are correct my dear sir.

T

We are so there! See everybody tonight!

Mahalo to all that came, from near and far, to the charity event at Tonga Hut. Words fail to express how much all of your support means to me and will mean for weSpark.

Mahalo,
Kimmy

[ Edited by: buttercup 2012-06-18 10:54 ]

TT

Here's a few pics from Sunday...

Kim becomes a Bastard!!!

15 Bastards + Marty Lush photo on Dr. G's phone!

You can see larger versions of the group shots here: http://tongatom.blogspot.com/2012/06/tonga-hut-6172012-kim-becomes-bastard.html

DIGITIKI LIVE AT THE TONGA HUT!

Digitiki (aka Marty Lush) will be recording The Quiet Village Podcast SUNDAY JULY 1, 2012 at Tonga Hut

Get there early, and have your requests ready for this very special event!

Just in case you've been lucky enough to have been stranded on a desert island sipping Mai Tais for the past few years, and you're not familiar with the Quiet Village podcast...check it out here:
http://www.digitiki.com
http://www.digitiki.com/podcast.htm

Awesome! What a festive weekend it will be at the Hut!

I have a rather large collection, but I don't have everything. So anyone is welcome to bring a CD or CDR with their requested exotica/Hawaiian/lounge song on it for me to play. I'd be more than happy to do it. I'll also have a guest mic set up so anyone can introduce their song...if you're not too shy. LOL

TOMORROW! TOMORROW! TOMORROW!
SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

Oh yeah, the Taco Lady will be there too! (early even)

TT

TODAY! TODAY! TODAY!
SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

Of course I'm in!
A great podcast from a great guy -- who wouldn't want to watch the magic happen, live & in-person?

Heading over now!

Great songs, great times tonight. Mahalo Digitiki for bringing the Quiet Village to the Tonga Hut. I can't wait to hear it again (and again!).

kevin

TH

NEW BASTARDS THIS SUNDAY (7/8/2012) AT TONGA HUT!

This Sunday...Heylownine and Tikival will be finishing the Grog Log at Tonga Hut sometime around 7pm.

Tonga Tom will be supplying tunes!

Taco Lady will be there with her awesome food!

Wow, The Tonga Hut sure is full of Bastard's! :lol:

I feel like I should be there for this occasion.

Kevin

TT

Sorry for the delay...
Here are photos of our latest Bastards, Heylownine and Tikival from July 8th!
Quite appropriately, they finished with the "Suffering Bastard."
This was also bartender Marie's first Bastard ceremony!

Thanks for DJ'ing on our induction night Tom. :)

Pretty happy that when someone calls me a bastard these days, it's because I finished the Grog Log.

That is why I'm being called a bastard, right?

kevin

You're welcome!

About the bastard thing...

Update on page 1.

Last night fellow Rum Rhum Club member Dennis became a Bastard!

The Bastards!

...And, the group shot!

Hi all, on Sunday August 5th the Tonga Hut Welcomes Paul Rapp (PiPhiRho) fresh off his big cocktail win from the Hum Cocktail Contest. Join us as Paul mixes up his award winning cocktails and some surprises!

P

I will be serving some of my Cannibal, Manutara and Purple Jade, and maybe some other surprises, at the Tonga Hut THIS SUNDAY August 5 4 to 8PM.

P

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 5, 2012 10:36 AM

GROG in OC today with family, but plan on being at the Tonga Hut tonight to enjoy some original drinks by PiPhiRo. If you haven't tasted any of Paul's drinks before, then you are in for a real treat tonight. GROG looking forward to tonight.

[ Edited by: GROG 2012-08-05 10:38 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 6, 2012 8:57 AM

Sorry Paul, GROG not make it back in time from OC while you were behind bar. But, GROG did make it to the Tonga Hut and did have some leftover Cannibal drink you had mixed. Mucho Tasty-O. GROG like. Caught Boris and Marie as they were leaving, but was much too lateto hear any DJMarty Lush tunes.

BB

The Cannibal from last night.

So good! :D

P

Given a pretty poor turn out last night, I think there may still be some Cannibal and Manutara pre-mixes available at the bar for another day or two. Marie knows how to make them, so even though I'm not there you can still get one of the drinks. Get 'em while the're... cold.

Can I have some shipped to me in Palm Springs? I need you to come guest bartend in my tiki room. Sorry I missed it,you are truly the mixologist king.

Mahalo for the drinks on Sunday Paul and Marie! I enjoyed the Cannibal (as good as I remembered from Goin' Primitive) and a Purple Jade while Val had a Manutara and a her very own Cannibal. Good stuff!

That combined with a set from Marty Lush made for a very enjoyable Sunday evening. It felt like the calm before the storm.

kevin

TH

EXOTICA SUNDAY!
SEPT. 9th (TONIGHT) 4-9pm

Come join us at Tonga Hut with Veronica mixin' it up!
Tonga Tom will be setting the mood with exotica, surf and more!

See you there!

TT

It was good to be back in the saddle again on Sunday, what a fun evening...And, we initiated two new Bastards; BoraBoraDog and Robbin. Congrats!
Sorry I didn't get everyone in the group photo, but we shot kinda late. Thank you for the reminder Boris!

On 2012-09-11 09:53, Tonga Tom wrote:

Thank goodness for the three photos. As I know that was the last one. Actually it is one of my favorite Tonga Hut group shots ever!
Mahalo Tonga Tom!

TH

OCTOBER 28th (SUNDAY)
MONSTERS AND MAI TAIS HALLOWEEN ART SHOW AND PARKING LOT SALE!!!

Tonga Hut will open early at 2pm with vendors selling their wares at the same time as well.

Vendors will pack up at sundown, but the art show and festivities will continue inside into the night!

Taco Lady will be there to satisfy your hungry bellies.

Attention Artists and Vendors
Anyone interested in vending or having a piece in the show should either PM tobunga aka Eric October or email him at: [email protected]

List of artists and vendors coming soon...

T

Aloha everybody!

Like Tonga Tom said, I'm taking over artist-organizing duties from Grog for this event...

Here's some additional vending info:

Vending fee is 25.00, spaces are limited, so please contact me asap if you want a spot! Either PM me here, or email me at [email protected].

And art show info:

Since this is the first time since the remodel that artwork will be on display inside, and because we're trying out a new way to display the work, we're only able to show wall-hanging pieces.

It's a Halloween-themed show in a tiki bar, so think tikis, monsters, pumpkins, Day of the Dead and stuff like that! There will be a vote and a prize awarded for "Beast in Show"!

So, please let me know if you're interested in having work in the art show asap... again, space is limited, so try to keep your monstrous creations at a moderate size!

Mahalo!

UGH! I'll be hitting town on the 29th!

K
kirby posted on Sun, Sep 30, 2012 2:07 PM

Im gonna be hitting up the Tonga Hut tonight around 5ish. Anybody else planning on going?

TH

Tunes by Tonga Tom at Tonga Hut tonight!!!
5pm-ish to 9pm-ish...maybe a little earlier and/or maybe a little later.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 30, 2012 3:53 PM

GROG will be there. GROG swung by yesterday after Tikiyaki played at the Pinup clothing yard sale. Tikiyaki Jim and a few others made it over after the show.

Veronica concentrating on mixing up a tasty drink. And the finished product.

Then she mix something yummy for GROG. And GROG wit the tasty drink in the GROG Moai mug.

Veronica with GROG, and then Liz showed up for the night shift.

TT

9/30/2012 at Tonga Hut.
You can see a larger version of this photo and other stuff at the Tonga Tom blog.

TT

Sunday 10/7/2013
Happy Birthday Joe Banks! We missed you.
Sorry we didn't get you in the group shot Kev, Val and Dog.
Oh yeah, lens and camera...THANK YOU for not breaking!

TH

Tunes by Tonga Tom at Tonga Hut today/tonight!!!
4pm-ish to 8pm-ish...maybe a little earlier and/or maybe a little later.
Cocktails by Marie King 4pm to 8pm!!!
Cocktails by Veronica 8pm to close!!!

Bonus attraction: Jeremy's mom will be there!

Extra Bonus attraction: Eric October's birthday! (hopefully he'll be there too)

See you there!

Tonga Hut Since 1958

L.A.'s Oldest Tiki Bar
12808 Victory Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
Avail. for Special Events @ the Hut or Location

[ Edited by: tonga hut 2012-10-14 15:19 ]

TH

^ UPDATED INFO ABOVE.

Birthday bowls, birthday cakes and blowin' of the candles.

Big group shot can be found in the usual spot.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 16, 2012 11:38 AM

This tall, lovely lady was at the Tonga Hut on Saturday and she was wearing an Yma Sumac dress she bought from the late singer's estate.

TT

Tonga Hut Sunday 10/21/2012.

Larger version can be found below.

TT

You can get these mugs at Tonga Hut tomorrow!
Only 25 per color!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 402 replies