Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut: Exotica Sunday with Tom, Syd & Ian starting at 4pm

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 402 replies

Here's a few more pics from last night...

You all still have a couple of hours to make it to the Tonga Hut. Amy (Happy Birthday) and Jeremy are great hosts and the place looks vintage and fresh at the same time. We had all four of Marie's signature cocktails and they were all very complex and excellent....rivaled anything at Tiki Ti and Smuggler's Cove. Marie and the other cute bartender were making drinks from the Grog Log too. Bigtikidude was spinning a mix of tunes that we love (Surf/Exotica/Hawaiian). Good to see everyone on our too short visit and hope to see you all again soon.

What a Fantastic Night!
Was such a great vibe and really fun to be able to catch up with everyone
and enjoy the new environs at the Tonga Hut!
Happy Birthday Amy!
YAY!

J

That was kind of surreal seeing Marie behind the Tonga Hut bar and BTD spinning the tunes. Mentally I associate them both with Tiki in the OC and not the Valley.

But... I liked it !! :)

Great cocktails Marie, I especially enjoyed the Tropical "sazerac" (I forget the name :-? ).

And yes BTD, you did a good job too.

On 2012-02-13 07:34, JOHN-O wrote:

And yes BTD, you did a good job too.

He always does. One thing about Jeff is that he iS a good DJ.

Good drinks, Good tunes...oh yea!

Great time last night!
And, here's some photos to prove it...

"Ok boys, I'm back, what'll ya have?"

"What's she making?"

Love Potion #13

"It was about this big."

BTD's pick

"Excellent choice."

"Hey, I remember when I used to do that."

Too much reverb for one booth...

...it spilled into the next.

"It was about this high."

One last round...

One last song...

Thanks Tom for the Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First I want to Thanks Sheri and Ray for the surprise party Saturday, It was really a surprise and I had a great time, I got gifts, I got 2 great hats from both Eric, Manuel and Sherri! Good food, good friends... Thank you all for sharing it with me :)

Second, Sunday was amazing, Marie did an outstanding Job!!!!!!!! Jeff played great tunes, Tom took the cool photos, JP took cool photos for next Tiki Magazine everyone came, they drank, they partied.

I want to thank Lisa Marie for the support, making great drinks and always helping out.

I think Marie is back in the swing, she didn't miss a beat Sunday! Great Job!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2012-02-13 16:57 ]

We had a really fun time on Sunday evening. From people to cocktails to music: all great stuff. Really dug the Love Potion #13; thanks Marie!

Mahalo to all concerned!

kevin

it Looks like I missed a great weekend at the TONGA HUT. Once again,the man is holding me down here in Palm Springs.

Happy Birthday Queen and sorry I missed your birthday

and congrats the great mixologist and D.J. combo.

Even though I didn't get to see my man Big Tiki Dude I did get the pleasure of seeing his sister two day's in a row here in Palm Springs,So I think I am still doing O.K.

W

goodtimes indeed.
thanks for the comments on the tunes guys,

I only had 1 full drink.
but had sips of the other drinks Marie made,
all of them were outstanding!!
So good to see Marie behind the Bar again.
congrats!!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TH

Well it really was a great night with Marie and Lisa marie handling the drinks....So we talked to Marie and she is ready to return to Tonga Hut as one of our regular Bartenders! we will keep you posted on days and times. I hope you are as excited as we are !

TH

Tonga Hut Since 1958

L.A.'s Oldest Tiki Bar
12808 Victory Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
Avail. for Special Events @ the Hut or Location

[ Edited by: tonga hut 2012-02-16 15:32 ]

This is really exciting and I'm looking forward to more Marie magic! :D

I had a feeling this would happen & its great news, Welcome back Marie!
we look forward to having some of your great cocktails.

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-02-16 15:40 ]

Excellent! Looking forward to meeting Marie, see you all at the Tiki Mag party on March 31st.

Cheers!

I had already heard this news but this news is FANTASTIC!

bump

T

So excited by this news! Congrats to Marie and Tonga Hut!

Heard Marie will be bartending on President's Day, 02/20... We are so there! Chop down a cherry tree so my tiki drinks can have the appropriate tiki garnish!

TT

You guys are coming up on Monday? See you there!

J

Really looking forward to beginning the week with a "Moai Monday" at the Tonga Hut!!!!

CA

FAT TUESDAY!!! if i was there i'd show my t!ts fo sho....for tiki beads of course....

J

What a wonderful way to start the week!
The Hut looked, sounded and tasted better than ever last night!!!

TH

Update on page one!

TT

** TONIGHT: 3-8pm!!!**
Lisa Marie says: "I'm working at the Tonga hut Today from 3-8pm!!!
Also.... I'm finishing my Grog Log at 6:30pm... Come celebrate! Aloha!!!"
Oh yeah, check this out: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3104549445615

We're there!!!

TT

Instead of going to one of them fancy Oscar Parties last night we chose to celebrate the "Bastardization" of Lisa-Marie last night at Tonga Hut as she finished the Grog Log with the Zombie!

Lisa-Marie's final cocktail...the Zombie!

"Okole Maluna!"

Jeremy signs off...on Lisa-Marie's Grog Log too.

Ta-dah!

LM was having trouble thinking of a name to put on her plaque at TH, so everyone was helping her out.

"Which one do I choose?"

"Oh no she didn't!"

J

It's probably too late but how about Lisa Marie = "Daddy's Blue Hawaiian Princess".

Get it ?? :)

TH

Update page one

TH

Update page one

TH

Tomorrow (Sunday) between 4-8pm!!!
Joe Banks shall finish the last of the 78 drinks in Beachbum Berry's Grog Log and become a member of the Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard.
Cocktails...
Tikis...
and the exotic spinning of DJ Marty Lush!
Aloha, baby!

TT

New Bastard (Scott aka Joe Banks) at 5pm today!

T

Congrats Scott! Now when we call you a bastard, we'll really mean it! See you at 5!

JB

Ta da!

Congrats pal! I was detained (in a good way) on the other side of town, but cheered you in spirit!

On 2012-03-04 14:57, tobunga wrote: Congrats Scott! Now when we call you a bastard, we'll really mean it! See you at 5!

LOL..... Congrats Scott! well Deserved and I know you would have finished sooner if not for those Manhattans you love so much !!!!
Great seeing everyone last night too!

Amy

TT

Photos from the latest plaque hangings from Saturday night (3/3/2012).

TT

Photos from Joe Banks' completion of the Grog Log on Sunday night (3/4/2012).

The man...

The cocktail...

The sign off...

The Bastard!

"He was my first."

Group shot...

BASTARDS shot!*

*Even though Lisa-Marie was there she couldn't make the shot because she was so busy making a multitude of Grog Log cocktails.

Marty Lush packing up the DJ equipment after a long night of keeping our ears happy.

This is not a Jeep.

What a nice bunch of bastids! And kudos, some folks made it all the way up from Don's! Respect!
Me, I'm an old man, I went to bed at 7:30 pm on Sunday.

TT

Congrats, bastids!

On 2012-03-05 21:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
What a nice bunch of bastids! And kudos, some folks made it all the way up from Don's! Respect!
Me, I'm an old man, I went to bed at 7:30 pm on Sunday.

One fringe benefit of living out on the, well...fringe of the Valley: Tonga Hut is always on the way home. :D

Kevin

TH

Update on page one!

TH

http://itsmartylush.com/lushvid.htm

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2012-03-13 14:45 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 13, 2012 3:21 PM

Marty is making his way back to the Tonga Hut right now. He's either in San Diego right now, or somewhere between Arizona and New Mexico.

Those heeled shoes could cause problems during a freeway crossing.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 13, 2012 3:41 PM

Si.

I just drove down to Tijuana the other day, and did not see these ionic signs anymore - did I just miss them, or did they take them down because of their un-PC-ness? Anybody know?

Looking forward to vend (not vent!) at the Tiki Mag release party. I wrote this issue's cover article on BOT cover artist Moritz R. and will gladly sign it if anyone wants me to - or whatever book of mine you bring. :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2012 1:15 PM

MARTY LUSH AND THE LATIN LIVERS!!!
8pm $10 at the door

Noon 'til 7pm
TIKI MAGAZINE RELEASE PARTY!!!
with...
DJ Marty Lush
plus...vendors in the parking lot!
Bamboo Ben
Kirby
Doug Horne
Buzzy
Eric October
Tiki Tony
Sven Kirsten
Taboo Island
Grog

and more...

WELCOME BACK BAMBOO BEN!

If you can't make it to the Tonga Hut on Saturday, then you can catch some of the same vendors on Sunday at Don's (provided they haven't sold all their best stuff at the Tonga Hut.)
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=42065&forum=17&start=0

If you're driving up to the Tonga Hut in N. Hollywood or down to Don the Beachcomber in Seal Beach and you are on the 405 and you get tired on the drive and need a good Tiki drink, then you can be sure and get a tasty cocktail at the Purple Orchid in El Segundo down near LAX. Tell 'em GROG sent you. It won't gain you any favors, and you may even get 86ed, but hey, you'll have a good story to tell your grandkids.

GROG looking forward to seeing Marty Lush and the Latin Livers at the Tonga Hut again.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: grog 2012-03-14 19:39 ]

Looks like I'm going to have to make it after all. :) :) :)

Will have a truck load full of fun stuff for you!!!

Thanks Grog! :wink:

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2012-03-14 19:48 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 402 replies