Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Official Tiki Oasis 2012 thread for TO12

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 613 replies

On 2012-08-23 23:38, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
The situation is when you have kids, everything changes
The problem is many (Not all,mind you) families expect the world to adapt to their
Kid friendly perspective, this was not so in the 50s,60s & 70s if you grew up in those years
there was a very visible line between the adult & child worlds, That was the heyday of Tiki

No so today, everything needs to be safe & comfortable for kids,with complete disregard
for those who don't have or want to include kids in "Adult" activities

I thought the atmosphere of Tiki Oasis was very compromised this year due to the lack of Burlesque dancers
on stage, & the kids running around during much of the acts was very distracting, The parents of those kids
were completely oblivious of this & just let their kids run around without any concern for other people
I see it all the time,when was the last time anyone here had a nice dinner at a restaurant with out a kid acting up?

Many families with children are completely myopic about this today & it was happening at Oasis also
so much so, we spent all our time in the room parties to get away from it.

You can't have it both ways, your ether going to completely sanitize Tiki Oasis in which case I will no longer want to attend.
Or decide to keep it an adult event, with separate activities for the kids.

Ehhh I kinda disagree, I think there's a way to balance both without making the entire event one-sided. Just like you said, you went to the room parties to get your kicks. On the other hand, me and my fella enjoyed all the daytime activities which were much more our speed and decided to get some sleep rather than go to the room parties. I like that there are options for everyone. Not all adults want to see boobs and butts shakin' around on stage in broad daylight when they're trying to enjoy their vacation.

A note about kids: after WWII ended and everyone was having babies, kids were everywhere and started becoming an accepted part of society, and then made a niche for themselves at "teenagers" in the 1950's. By the mid-1950's, the family structure had strengthened and the idea of all-inclusive family vacations was extremely popular.

The kids dancing and playing at the front of the stage were just having a good time and enjoying themselves; they weren't screaming, yelling, fighting or throwing things. They weren't doing anything wrong. Distracting, maybe, but not destructive. Besides, most of the entertainment was just music. So do you have to pay attention to every split second of it? The parents were most likely right there on the grass enjoying a beverage and making sure their kids were safe.

Kids are the minority at Tiki Oasis, but they will continue to be an integral part of the event for the rest of it's existence, so just enjoy the parts of the event that you like the best.

IZ

I thought one of the real delights of this year's Oasis was the magician, the knife throwing act, and the Lampshades. Thanks Otto and Baby Doe for mixing it up more at this year's event. I think these sorts of acts are a great compliment to the burlesque and the bands!

FANTASTIC OASIS!

IZ

On 2012-08-23 23:38, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
The situation is when you have kids, everything changes
The problem is many (Not all,mind you) families expect the world to adapt to their
Kid friendly perspective, this was not so in the 50s,60s & 70s if you grew up in those years
there was a very visible line between the adult & child worlds, That was the heyday of Tiki

No so today, everything needs to be safe & comfortable for kids,with complete disregard
for those who don't have or want to include kids in "Adult" activities

Well said!
I pretty much agree with this. And although I'm ok with how oasis has evolved one wonders how crazy and insane -in a good way- an "adults only" oasis would be. Not going to happen I know but it's fun to let your mind imagine it. Yikes!

BV

I want to go to Tiki Oasis and just let my hair down (figure of speech since I have very little ). I want to drink and stumble around and hang out with other stumbling drunk adults. I don't want to watch what I say or worry about being a bad example etc. Yea the kids were well behaved but some of the slightly older ones were sneaking into room parties. (Of course I would have done the same thing as at their age) but, I don't want to worry about that. Keep the events apart. Don't sanitize Tiki Oasis. While I don't watch the naked girls on stage, I like chatting and flirting with them after their show. I don't need some 7 year old taking notes on what to do when he gets a bit older! I guess I'll just be a bad influence on kids those four days every year. I guess I can't worry about it.

J

Here's my latest Tiki idea. How about we actually leverage children for an upcoming Tiki Oasis theme ?? We can call it "Mid-century Childhood Nightmares". Think...

"Invaders from Mars"

"5,000 Fingers of Dr. T"

"Night of the Hunter"

and then there was that "Leave it Beaver" episode where the Beav gets locked overnight in a Tiki restaurant and imagines all of the Tikis coming to life.

Children are Tiki !!

A Big Thanks to Otto/Baby Doe for Having me back to teach Spy Guitar this year. I remember 3 years ago it was just something we brought up losely as an idea, but I think the class is starting to pan out over the years.

Our third year playing the Pool and we had a blast as always
so the Band thanks you for all of your support.

I really want to thank all the insiders that make it happen.

Jim giddings, Cammo, Mateo and the whole gang.

Cammo and Jim thanks so much for making the Cove room work again for the Lessons. You two know how much work it is equipment wise to pull something like that off and I appreciate it.

Thanks to Cult of the Eye for having us play not just friday night, but Sat night at there room party's. As we talked about, We are IN for next year.

It was an honor to play with Martini Kings this year on the Mainstage and I had such a blast ! Thanks Tony

See you all Next year. - Stay tuned for more info I will be posting on the Spy Guitar Lessons.

NikkiNapalm & everyone else, Thanks for not going ape shit over my opinion
I thought it was going to hit some the wrong way.

I grew up in the 50s & 60s and it was a whole different world then
I really think parents had a better understanding of children's place in society
and did a much better job of teaching them those skills, then today.

But to be fair the Tiki crowd has some great kids who have great parents
who did exactly that, (I am looking at you Polypop & Matt Reese!)

John-O, love the "Invaders from Mars" insert, I see what you did.....

[i]

Glass cubes to put the children in!?!? Not even sure if I am extremely amused at this or concerned. Hmmm... we might have to put a few adults in glass boxes too. The whole thing could get very interesting.

Hey TCers, Today I heard of a few incidences of people
getting spiked (Drugged) cocktails at Oasis
anyone else hear about this?

C

On 2012-08-24 21:09, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hey TCers, Today I heard of a few incidences of people
getting spiked (Drugged) cocktails at Oasis
anyone else hear about this?

I saw a post with some comments about this on Facebook a few days back, but that was all I heard about it.

From what the people were commenting on it did seem to be consistent with the ole 'Mickey Fin'

uhhhhhh.....
Did everybody miss Zsandora dancing(down to pasties and g string at the end)
with the Swank Bastards, in broad daylight,
with 20 kids watching from in front of the stage?

I thought it was hilarious,
but I am demented that way.

Jeff(btd)

On 2012-08-24 23:48, bigtikidude wrote:
uhhhhhh.....

Jeff(btd)

Yeah, not cool. She is absolutely gorgeously barbie-doll breathtaking, but yeah...maybe next year leave a little bit more clothing on if you see 20 munchkins in front of you? Oh well.

Way to be crappy parents! All your kids are going to grow up to become alcoholic sex perverts and strippers!

Buzzy Out!

I was going to stay out of this conversation.

Actually, Nikki and I talked at Oasis about the Daylight Burlesque Event and I just don't get it. I'm not a prude by any means, but I think there is a time and place for that (like in my hotel room :D ), I think the midnight indoor stage and the room parties are an appropriate time and place. I have no problem with making Tiki Oasis "Adults Only", then let the debauchery flow! I guess an alternative would a prominent disclaimer before ticket sales stating "There WILL be public nudity at this event" and the parents can choose what they want to expose their children too.

Zsandora if you read this, please know this is not an attack on you. I didn't watch much, but from what I saw you are a beautiful woman with a talent for dancing. Tiki Oasis has created a culture where this is allowed and even encouraged, the discussion is if it should be.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Aug 26, 2012 3:59 PM

Now I feel really bad about missing the Zsandora dance!

Hey Buzzy,

How does it feel to have crappy parents, you pervert?

Haha!!!

Stop coddling your kids and the next time they run into someone with MOTHER F@CKING TOURETTE'S they won't be freaked out.

On 2012-08-26 08:33, NikkiNapalm wrote:

On 2012-08-24 23:48, bigtikidude wrote:
uhhhhhh.....

Jeff(btd)

Yeah, not cool. She is absolutely gorgeously barbie-doll breathtaking, but yeah...maybe next year leave a little bit more clothing on if you see 20 munchkins in front of you? Oh well.

Leave your kids home!!

Szandora is awesome and if you want to bring your kids to a rum fueled weekender than what they see is what they see.

I just wish The Swank Bastards took off their clothes too because they looked hot...like literally.

[ Edited by: sandradee 2012-08-27 02:07 ]

Well, our Tiki Oasis Spy Clip experiment was a bust. We didn't get one clip emailed to the command center, lol. Must've been the rum....or T.I.K.I.

H

Tiki Oasis jumped the shark this year, IMHO. Moving the burlesque dancers (on stage during band breakdown and setup) in order to accomodate children? Why am I subjected to babysitting these kids? Why are these kids running around unsupervised, anyway? This has been getting more annoying each year. I get the use of an annual theme - more variety in bookings, etc. Past year themes (surf, Hawaii, pirates) and entertainment (surf, Herb Alpert) at least had some time or vague commonality (water, island) to tiki culture. How does an 80's ska band relate to tiki? Or even to a 60's spy theme for that matter, other than they (and thousands of other bands) have a couple of songs that reference the topic?

[ Edited by: hazmania 2012-08-27 13:02 ]

IZ

Hey can one of you old timer's who've been to every T.O. list the themes they've had in the past? Just curious. I've been to 11 and 12 - and really enjoyed both. I love the themes - whether they're directly related to Tiki or not, since I love costume/theme parties. Wasn't a big fan of them in the past, but in recent years I've found that costume or theme parties are the only parties I really, really enjoy. Regular parties (and maybe this is because I've grown older with the same friends) but seem like a bunch of people sitting around stuffing their faces on bad food. Costumes/themes give parties new life.

Having a Love Boat party this winter, for example. (Did you know that Ray Milland, Menudo, and Andy Warhol were ALL on Love Boat - as well as the entire cast of 3's Company?) The guest star potential is unreal!

Then we're thinking of really going off the deep end with theme ideas: "1972 Realtors Convention: Iowa City, IA" and a really deep down one: "7-11 Breakroom, circa 1993."

SF

I agree with hazmania,but I think Tiki O jumped the shark 1-2 years ago.

P

As I recall, the Tiki Oasis themes were:

TO 12: Spy

TO 11: South of the Border

TO 10: "Extravaganza" (basically, the theme was the 10th anniversary)

TO 9: Surfs Up

TO 8: Zombie

TO 7: Hawaii a go go

TO 6: The magic of tiki

TO 5: Pirates

TO 4: If I remember there were two themes. Saturday night was "tikis in space" and Friday was "Savage".

TO 3: Marooned at Tiki Oasis

Tiki Oasis 1 and 2 didn't really have themes. The themes were basically just "Tiki".

And, IMHO, Tiki Oasis jumped the shark when it moved to San Diego. I still love tiki Oasis and have a great time there, but it hasn't been "tiki" for a long time.

What themes would you guys like?

I still would like to see a Retro 1950s Sci Fi, Noir or Hard boiled theme
how about old musicals? like South Pacific....

But what I see coming is a Disneyland theme (Shudder)

Since we have Hulabilly coming up, Punk or New Wave in the near future?

J

I vote for:

1. "Eden's Island" aka Hippie Oasis !!

2. Prohibition Oasis aka Dry Oasis. I'm not joking. As one of the original Tiki Revival pioneers (not Sven) recently said to me "Tiki isn't just about drinking".

3. Vigorpalooza, in which Lucas Vigor gets to decide everything. :)

Edit - Also ATP we can't have a Disney theme, Otto would have to pay licensing to the Disney corporation making that cost prohibitive.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-27 16:04 ]

If I didn't know John-O, I'd be disgusted by his post (mostly the hippy one).
Funny stuff, John-O. I'd like to see what Lucas would do for an Oasis. It would probably be a really good and traditional one.

But every year it's the same.... so much complaining about Oasis.
Pretty funny/ sad.

Good point on the licensing, John
it would probably just turn into a Plushie Convention anyway :lol:

Spike you should be resting after your 3 day gig marathon, what do you want to turn into.....Me!
By the way, The Hulagirls sounded great yesterday, maybe you don't need any sleep.

B

I don't think a Disney theme is that out of the question. But then I work for Disney, so there you go! Personally I would love a 50's Science Fiction or 60's hippie theme. The dance floor before the burlesque was very 60's-70's mod. Looked like a "Laugh In" dance break. Or Jules Verne Tiki (Mysterious Island/20,000 Leagues/Around the World). The psycho weirdness of Alice in Wonderland would be fantastic with this group!

I'm so sorry I missed the first 9 years of Oasis. Not a fan of Punk or New Wave. Sorry.

H

On 2012-08-27 15:18, surf fink wrote:
I agree with hazmania,but I think Tiki O jumped the shark 1-2 years ago.

Probably right: changing crowd (lots of missing "regulars" this year), more crime, less tiki-centric vending. It just pains me to acknowledge my denial of its accelerating slide. I guess you can't go home again.

Pilgrim Tiki.

White man coming to America and pushing the Indians west, is similar to white man coming to the Polynesian Islands and pushing them out, and or killing them with euro diseases.
It's related.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

if you missed KING PARIS and THE MARTINI KINGS you can hear samples now and download a track from their debut cd. not available anywhere except right here!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/martinikings2

IZ

Thanks for the info! I've heard something about a hillbilly theme for next year(?) is that confirmed or just a rumor?...More curious than anything because I have a wedding to go to next year (yeah EXACTLY in the middle of Tiki Oasis! - damn)

Hopefully there is another Tikis in Space on the horizon - love that theme and the potential for great costuming. I also hope they repeat the Spy theme. No shame in repeating a great idea.

On 2012-08-27 15:27, PiPhiRho wrote:
As I recall, the Tiki Oasis themes were:

TO 12: Spy

TO 11: South of the Border

TO 10: "Extravaganza" (basically, the theme was the 10th anniversary)

TO 9: Surfs Up

TO 8: Zombie

TO 7: Hawaii a go go

TO 6: The magic of tiki

TO 5: Pirates

TO 4: If I remember there were two themes. Saturday night was "tikis in space" and Friday was "Savage".

TO 3: Marooned at Tiki Oasis

Tiki Oasis 1 and 2 didn't really have themes. The themes were basically just "Tiki".

Next year is HULABILLY
NOT hillbilly

Baby Doe said it would be RockaHulaBilly like Elvis in Hawaii. We'd like more Hawaiian and Exotica music next year. Elvis would be nice, can Otto get him? Wendy

On 2012-08-24 12:59, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
NikkiNapalm & everyone else, Thanks for not going ape shit over my opinion
I thought it was going to hit some the wrong way.

I grew up in the 50s & 60s and it was a whole different world then
I really think parents had a better understanding of children's place in society
and did a much better job of teaching them those skills, then today.

But to be fair the Tiki crowd has some great kids who have great parents
who did exactly that, (I am looking at you Polypop & Matt Reese!)

Thank you ATP. As far as kids attending....well most of you know my opinion on it. If you don't, talk to me next year in person and I think I can put your concerns at ease. Peace with every step.

Kids at Tiki events are great,
they BBQ on a spit or in the ground great.
whooooops, did I just type that?

Jeff(btd)

Jeff & his long pig love
Kids is the new veal!

Tiki Oasis 2014, Long Pig Luau,
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

O
Otto posted on Tue, Aug 28, 2012 11:41 PM

Kate Flannery and Jay Leno were talking about Tiki Oasis last night on The Tonight Show

http://www.hulu.com/watch/395310#iundefined,p7,s20,d0

At approx 37:40 into the show Kate mentions "…the Tiki festival in San Diego…" and shows this pic of her and Scot Robinson at TO12.

I like how Jay just shows no real interest in anything he talks about
Kate is a great lady, but I wish she mentioned Tiki Oasis by name, Jay kind of sped right on past it.

500 40 year old nerds dressing up? I think it was closer to 3000. And they weren't all 40 years old.

I'll take the 40......

On 2012-08-27 16:14, Luckydesigns wrote:
Pretty funny/ sad.

You noticed that too, huh?

Regardless of what the theme is people are always going to have their opinion on it.

I see plenty of people who don't participate in dressing up to go along with the theme and instead just wear what they would normally wear to a tiki related gathering and they seem to have just as much fun as the rest of us.

Great party this year Otto.

I loved the Spy theme..and I had no interest in how it connected to a tiki event..I just am partial to men in suits and tuxes :)

TM

On 2012-08-27 16:14, Luckydesigns wrote:
If I didn't know John-O, I'd be disgusted by his post (mostly the hippy one).
Funny stuff, John-O. I'd like to see what Lucas would do for an Oasis. It would probably be a really good and traditional one.

Pretty funny/ sad.

The only thing I would like to see is my band, the Smokin' Menehunes, doing a poolside gig. We have not played tiki oasis since 2004, I believe. Though I love all the tiki offshoots, my first love is the tiki experience as it relates to the period of time from 1950 to 1970. Ok, I admit...the brady bunch episode. Blue hawaii. Diamondhead. South pacific.
So if I was in charge of the theming, yeah, it would be hawaiian bands and all that stuff. It would be Waikiki circa 1960. I also would switch the emphasis to food. having recently come back from the islands, one thing that impressed me over there was the food. I would love to see exotic fruits and vegetables...stuff made out of taro and breadfruit, for example, available for consumption...like it is in hawaii...stalls...selling pineapple, shrimp, all that good stuff.
Of course, there are only a few of us interested in that type of thing, so I think my idea would ruin the event. There are some excellent smaller events that cater more to what I like, but it would be nice to see tiki oasis devote at least part of the time to the pure tiki experience. On the other hand, those room parties rock out! And there are so many bands that play good surf and other stuff that play those, and people love it....it just would be nice to have some traditional waikiki vibe added in some small way.
I was told by someone that my band the smokin' menehunes "was not the right element for tiki oasis"....and yeah, i have a problem understanding that. Poolside performance of real vintage hawaiian music...how is that not tiki?
Other then that, tiki oasis is a really cool event.

I still think someone should check out paradise point in san diego as a possible alternative place to hold the event. partying in an ornamental tropical jungle would be awesome!

B

I have read all the comments and suggestions on how to change/improve /re-work Tiki Oasis that has been posted here on TC. We always appreciate constructive comments and try our best to include things to our event to make it that much better.

I do want to add that Otto and I do Tiki Oasis because we are big fans of 'TIKI' (obviously!) and yes that can be interpreted in many ways... so the most simple way I can put it is that Otto and I present something we are very proud of at Tiki Oasis and an interpretation of Tiki that we have put some solid thinking into. We spend our days at our demanding day jobs, our evenings and weekends with our kids, we do our side projects... Djing for Otto and Dancing with The Devil-Ettes for Baby Doe... and we somehow fit in leading hikes with the Cub Scouts, being room parents and anything else we can do for our kids and when our day is done we spend our NIGHTS working on TIKI OASIS! It takes over a year to plan this event (and we do not do it alone - see below). What we present at Tiki Oasis is something we are proud of and excited about.... it is our passion, our hobby, our obsession. If you want the event to be authentic Hawaiian, there are other events that are already doing this quite well (wayyy better than we are!) that you can attend, If you only like parts of the event, enjoy those bits, if you want to ignore some parts of the event (like kids or burlesque dancers or the themes) please do...I believe you will still have fun.

What we present is from our heart. Otto and I are extremely proud of what we have been able to accomplish over the last 12 years of creating and producing Tiki Oasis and thrilled that we have been able to work with so many artists, musicians, people that we admire, fans, friends, etc that all believe in Tiki Oasis.

See many of you at the next one!
XO Baby Doe

++++++++++++

It is time for the MEGA thank you from the Tiki Oasis organizers!

When we say that it takes a TIKI ARMY to make Tiki Oasis happen we are soooo NOT fibbing! Everyone from our staff to our performers to our volunteers to the vendors to the artists to our sponsors are the MAGIC behind making Tiki Oasis such a joy for all who attend!

HIGH FIVES and FIST BUMPS to everyone listed below!! (Sorry in advance if I missed someone!)

Thank you all, from the von Stroheim Family, for keeping Tiki Oasis alive and amazing year after year!

XO Baby Doe and Otto von Stroheim
(Vander and Dashiell too!)

~~ TIKI OASIS STAFF: ~~
Website Design and Program Design: Aaron, Tidbit Design
Tiki Oasis Executive Manager and Stage Manager: Jim Giddings
Tiki Oasis HQ Manager: Mateo Brown
PR: Lee Joseph
Sponsorship: Christi Crowe, Flag Marketing
Ambiance: Tricia and John
AV Manager: Patrick
Burlesque Stage Manager: Claudia Garcia
Car Show: Bill Graff, Rob Bennet and Scott
Kids Room Manager: Keiran Sala
Merchandise Manager: Koz
Ms MoneyPenny: Jaye Macaskill
Nanny to the Wee Stars: Sonia Clerc
Office Assistant: Megan Roy
Promotional Materials: Gene
Room Party Managers: Chris & Karen Garland
Security Manager: Dr Shocker
Show Décor: Matt Reese, Cobain, MP, Brian Holiday
Social Media Mavens: Jen Tiki, Eric Musick
Sound Master: Bob Urtz and team
Sunday Stage Manager: Joe Macaskill
Symposium Manager: Cam MacMillan, Assistant: Mike Gilbert
Tech Support: Marty Step
Thursday Stage Manager: David Egan
Tiki Oasis Photographers: Jerry Abuan, Albertine and Lee Joseph
Vendor Manager: Casey Jones, Assistant: Victor Estrella
Volunteer Manager: Ikabod, Volunteer Coordinator: Michelle Lutman

~~ TIKI OASIS MAIN STAGE ENTERTAINMENT: ~~
Cabernet Dance
Casino Royale
Creepxotica
King Kukulele
King Paris
Los Venturas
Love Me Nots
Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid
Martini Kings
Molotov & Dixie DeLish
Rob Zabrecky
The Barbwires
The Devil-Ettes
The Exotics
The Lampshades
The Untouchables
Thee Swank Bastards
Tiki Oasis Fashion Show: Retro Diva
Tikiyaki Orchestra
Truus

~~ DJ’s SPINNING THOSE PLATTERS ALL WEEKEND LONG! ~~
Cyrano + Special Agent Lotus
Dj Jesse
DJ Lee Joseph
DJ Patrick Robinson
DJ Wendy O'Rourke
DJ Xerox
Don Nelson
Double-O Duke
Erik Musick
Gaylord Fields
Howie Pyro
Jack Fetterman
Jason Lee and the RIP-Tides
Jeff Big Tiki Dude and Tiki Tena
Marty Lush
Strike
Switched on Audrey
Tothar
Trader Beck

~~ The Femme Fatales of Tiki Oasis… Burlesque*, Go Go Dancers and Hostesses and Pin-Up Cuties! ~~
Angie A
Audrie L
Becky Lee
Brooklyn Babydoll
Bunny Pistol *
Coco Lectric *
Dixie Von Trixie *
Dottie Deville*
Ilse Hayse
Jolie Goodnight *
Joyce Westergaard
Kellita *
Kitten Deville *
Lisa Luxe
Marsha Stevenson
Meghan Mayhem *
Michele Conard
Miss Lisa Ann
Mynx d’Meanor *
Neva Moore
Peach Plenty
Rose Marston
Ruby Champagne *
Ruby Joule *
Shannon Doah
Sheila Starr
Shelby Loveland
Sid Scenic
Susannah Mosher
Tana the Tattooed Lady *
Violetta Beretta *

~~ SYMPOSIUM HOSTS/EDUCATORS/SCREENINGS AND MORE! ~~
Agent Fawn
Bianca of So Diego Tours
Bosko
Brad Ableson
Charles Phoenix
Chris Fulks
Chris Mancini
Double Ought Duke
Dr Sketchy's Anti-Art School San Diego
Eric October
James Teitelbaum
Jason Lee
Jochen Hirschfeld
Jonathan Joffe , Burlesque Assassins
Martin Cate of Smuggler's Cove San Francisco
Megan Mayhem
Richard Boccato, PKNY
Sven Kirsten
Tana the Tattooed Lady
Tom Brady
TweedleBop
Will the Thrill

~~ TIKI OASIS MISSION TO:12 ARTSHOW ~~
Atomikitty
BigToe
David Lewis
Dawn Frasier Sophista-tiki
Doug DoRr
Doug Horne
El Gato Gomez
Eric October
Erin Joy
Ken "little lost tiki" Ruzic
Maya Rodgers
Michael Fleming (aka Tweedlebop)
Michael Kortez
Mulder142
Norm Daniels
REESENIK
Robert Jimenez
Tiki King
Tiki Tony
Tom Cooper
Wendy Cevola – danlovestikis

~~ Tiki Oasis 2012 VOLUNTEERS filling over 140 shifts over the course of the weekend! ~~
61Tbird
A Frame
Agents of A.L.O.H.A.
Agents of S.O.B.E.R.
Alex
Alex Giddings
Amy
Andrew M
Andrew O
Angie
Anna
Atomic Cocktail
Atomic Tucson
Atomicchick
Beatnikchick
bgodzillagirl
Big Al
Big Momma Luna
Block Lobster
Bodygaurds Buz and Brian
Carolina Coconuts
Casey
Cat
CazTiki
Charlene
Charlie
Charlie
Chloe
Chopper Phil
Claudia
Dannielle
David
Debbie
Dee Gnarpple
Denise
DrMiguelito
Eileen
Elene
Ennovyocean
Erika
Fabio
FilthyMidget
Funky Monkey
Heidi
Hildebrandt
Holly Go Darkly
JavaLoa
Jen Tiki
Jessabelle
Jesse
Jessica B
Jessica D
Joe M
John
John Slinger
Jojobo
Kaitlin
Karen
Kiki Tiki
Kim
Kuke Combs
Kurt
Kustomtiki
Kymi
Leleliz
Lilusako
Lori
Maggie
Malcolm
Mandi Bee
Megan S
Melissa
Mexitiki
Michelle
Michelle L
Mike
Mike
Mike Hales
MiObanana
Moan Eek
Mod Tai
Mr Tiki madness
Ms Tiki madness
MushMash
Neva Moore
Nikki
Patrick
Peaches Plenty
Pilaku
Plasticdrinkmonkey
retro-friki-tiki
Rob
Roxanne
Say-Say
Scarlet
Scott
Sheila
Sheri
Starfish
Steve
Steven
Suzy
The Emerald Islander
Tiki Crow
Tiki Dancer
Tiki Glam
Tiki P
Tiki tiffy
Tiki Tormentor
Tiki-Kitten
TikiDeb
TikiMingo
TikiModa
Tikimops
TikiSan
tipsy tiki villain
Todd
Twisted Eve
Va va de vil
Will Goodman
Will H
Yuly
ZeroTiki
Zomtiki

~~ VENDORS AND SPONSORS OH MY! ~~
808 Lifestyles
A Pin Up's Closet
American Cinemetique
Appleton
B. G. Reynolds' Hand-Crafted Syrups
Bachelor Pad Magazine
Badland Beads
Barritt's Ginger Beer
Bettie Page Clothing
Big Toe Art
Bols
Bosko
Bowana
Brugal Rum
Butch Wax Vintage
Cats Like Us
Clever Vintage Clothing
Coruba
Crowne Plaza Hotel
David Lewis
Desire Magneto Design
Dionysus Records & Featured Entertainment
Don Q Gran Anejo
Double Trouble Apparel
Drunken History
Elit by Stoli
Eric October
Erik The Red
Erika's Jewels Designs
Fables by Barrie
Falling Cocos
Fee Brothers
Fez-o-Rama
Finkniks Lowbrow Art Club
Fly Tahiti
Foggy Night
Forbidden Island
Frankie's Tiki Room
Galliano
Goodguys
Grass Shack Traders
Gundo Records
Guru Gallery, The
Happy Chi Jewelry
Hawaiian Lei Bath and Body
Hendrick's Gin
High Seas Trading Co.
Island Trading Co
It Came From Hangar 18
Java Monster
Johnnie Velour
Jonny Aloha
K-Bob Stepping Stones
King's Inn/Waffle Spot
Kirby Island
Koloa Rum
Krusher Vision
KXLU
Lillet Blanc
Lost Tiki
M Frank M Carvings
Mahalo Tiki
Mele Tiki Guys
Miami Rum Renaissance Festival
Michael Uhlenkott
Mimsy Borogoves
Montanya Rum
Mount Gay Barbados Rum
MP
Mr Smiley
Ms. Formaldehyde
My Baby Jo
Mysteries of the South Seas
NORM Daniels
Oceanic Arts
petprojekt
PKNY
Poster Pop
Primativa in Hi-Fi
Purple Orchid Lounge
Retro A-Go-Go
Retro Diva
Rhum Clement
Rum Cake Lounge
Sailor Jerry
Sammy's Beach Bar Rum
Sand On My Soul
SHAG Store
Smokin' Tikis
Smuggler's Cove
Sourpuss Clothing
Steady Clothing
Strangely Normal
Swamp Fire Lounge The Art of Doug Horne
Switched on Designs
Taboo Island
The Hana Shirt Co.
The Restaurant at The Pearl
Tiki Bongos
Tiki Broker
Tiki Diablo
Tiki King
Tiki Oasis
Tiki Paws
Tiki Thai Arts
Tiki tONY
Tikiland
Tikiyaki Orchestra
Tom Cooper
Tom Hofer
Tweedlebop
Velveteen Lounge Kitsch-en
Vintage Suits by Mary
Vintage Surf
Viva Las Vegas
Voodoo Island
VooDoo Rum
Z'Etiquette Custom Carpetbags
Zacapa Rum

~~ TIKI OASIS 4TH ANNUAL CAR SHOW! ~~
Sue Kesler's "Get Smart" Sunbeam Tiger
James Bond Q-Branch gadget car
Mark Green Hornet car and Surf Wagon
Adrian Eustquio 1955Black Porsche Speedster
Amy Boylan 1953 Ford Pickup
Amy Boylan 28 foot long 1965 Travco RV
Brad Luebbermann 1962 Galaxie 500XL Convertible
David McNeley 1954 Black Chevy Bel Air post Coupe
Donny D. Ville 1954 chopped Chevy
Ernie Menehune, Jr Volkswagen 15 Window Deluxe MicroBus all tiki'd out with tiki torches, mai tai theme, and Shag prints
Glenn Rodgers 1957 surfed out Ford Ranchero
Gregg Eighmy 1951 Ford Club Coupe
Harry Decker 1965 Mustang Convertible with spy gadgets
Holly Ansman 1956 Chevrolet pickup truck with tropical floral graphics
Jim Bacchi Big Bamboo - Tiki'd out Dodge Van in seafoam green
Joe Ferris 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup in a 1940's style
Marion Luebbermann1962 Country Squire Wagon
Mark Fagan 1928 Ford Roadster Pickup Hot Rod
Philip Christy 1960 Chevy El Camino
Richard Whitcomb 1961 Ford Falcon Station Wagon with wood paneled sides, and tiki decor
Rob Bennett 1972 BMW 2002
Rob Martinez 1960 Cadillac Convertible
Scott Jones 1965 Chevy Van Travel Cruiser
Scott Szalkowski Fiberfab Avenger with spy gadgets
Sherry Ruiz 1950 Shoebox Ford
Steve Owen 1931 Ford Model A
Susan Schein 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe Convertible
Teresa and Tim Harris1960 Pontiac Catalina with spy gadgets
Terry Wallace 1939 Ford Deluxe Coupe
Tiki Diablo 1927 Ford Model T Roadster
Tim Wallace 1963 Ford Convertible

~~ TIKI OASIS FIRST EVER SCOOTER SHOW! ~~
Birgitta Kalker 1973 Vespa V90 smallframe
Erin Mackey 1974 Vespa Primavera 125
Felicia Balderama 1979 Vespa P125X
Greg Raspet 1974 Vespa Rally 200 with 28 mirrors and 42 lights, used in the stage presentation of Quadrophenia
Hiram Borunda 1961 Lambretta LI 250
John Cruz 1964 Vespa GS 160
John Cruz 1981 Vespa P-200
Jon Mackey 1971 Lambretta Servetta Jet 200
Joshua Ellman 1963 Vespa
Michael S. Burns 1962 Lambretta
Michael S. Burns 1964 Lambretta
Nick Marinella 1966 Primavera
Pete Nicholson 1964 Allstate scooter
Pete Nicholson 1979 Vespa P200E
Sherry Ruiz 1962 Harley Topper Scoot
Steven Herbert 1964 Vespa GS

WHEW! YOU MADE IT THIS FAR?!  
SAFE TO SAY TIKI OASIS IS ONE SPECIAL EVENT! RIGHT??  
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL INVOLVED!!

[ Edited by: babydoe  2012-08-29 10:53 ]

Tiki Oasis is a special event. I know I'll support it whatever the theme. If it's something I detest, such as punk, I may stay off site, but I'll still be there for the party atmosphere. (The hotel will sell out anyway!) I appreciate the tremendous hard work that goes into this event. We all give suggestions because we all have likes and dislikes and want to see our favorites. But unless we put on our own event we shouldn't cry because we don't get our way.

Personally, I don't see how you can separate Tiki from the Hawaii, South Seas vibe. I think the Smokin' Menehunes are terrific and would love to see them by the pool. But again, the event is too much fun to miss regardless.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU BABYDOE AND EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B

On 2012-08-29 10:46, Bill5925 wrote:
Tiki Oasis is a special event. I know I'll support it whatever the theme. If it's something I detest, such as punk, I may stay off site, but I'll still be there for the party atmosphere. (The hotel will sell out anyway!) I appreciate the tremendous hard work that goes into this event. We all give suggestions because we all have likes and dislikes and want to see our favorites. But unless we put on our own event we shouldn't cry because we don't get our way.

We do listen to people's likes and dislikes cause that means you guys want to see the event get better and improve! It is hard to please everyone but honestly we are our own harshest critics! Sometimes we try things and they work and sometimes they don't! If we could we would do more than one TO so we could really get it right!

xxo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 613 replies