Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

The Witch Doctor has paid me back! - All is good in the land of Tiki.

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

Before I get to the details, let me inform you that I've bought a mug from THE WITCH DOCTOR (aka Crazy Johnny) before and it was a great transaction. I love my shrunken head mug that I got from him. I didn't expect that my next transaction with him would have been such a terrible experience.

Back in the beginning of May 2012 I ordered an Indiana Jones - Golden Idol mug from The Witch Doctor. I sent him $88 (mug + shipping) via PayPal. Immediately after sending the funds to his account (actually he later told me it was his girlfriend's account), I realized that I was pulling funds out of a bank account that had no money in it. I promptly emailed him and asked him to see if he got money on his end. PayPal didn't immediately reject the payment so I was counting on communication with him to avoid over paying. He never got back with me in a reasonable amount of time, and the later on PayPal told me that the payment was rejected. So, I then payed again, this time with the correct bank account. I later come to find out that the original payment of $88 actually went through. So, in the end, I ended up paying $176 for a mug that took two months to get to me. Also, Johnny said there was going to be a money order enclosed with my mug. Lies! I asked him several times to send me the money via PayPal, but he keeps coming up with excuses. So as of August 1st, it would have been three months that he still hasn't paid me back.

I have sent so many personal messages to THE WITCH DOCTOR via this site and I've kept my text conversations with him for my records. Below is a link where you can read what we've been texting back and forth. It's a little long, but you'll see how ridiculous this has gotten. If I had a dollar for every excuse he's made, I'd have my money back by now!

[ Edited by: strangedaisy 2013-07-08 12:50 ]

[ Edited by: strangedaisy 2013-09-30 15:30 ]

[ Edited by: strangedaisy 2013-09-30 15:35 ]

My first transaction with Witch Doctor had a few hitches as well, but with a little applied patience we got it all ironed out, and many successful purchases have followed. I've found him to be a straight-shooter, albeit a harried self-employed mug-maker with occasionally undependable help. Don't let your mouth get ahead of your brain in the midst of misunderstandings, and there's a chance to overcome them. Most of the independent artists here are one-man bands, not amazon.com, so you sometimes have to remember that it is what it is.

T

I know you're not laughing but those emails between you two, now that's some funny shit, Good luck.

Similar story with me - I just opened a PayPal dispute. I don't like to do this but I have been getting the run-around for about four months. I've given WD many opportunities to send me my mug, but no luck.

I suggest you also open a dispute with PayPal. They will shut down his account if he receives multiple complaints.

I did actually file a dispute on PayPal. I perhaps waited too long. I waited in good faith that he'd come though so I didn't try to get his account shut down or anything, as I realize he's an artist, etc.

Also, PayPal wasn't much help in the beginning either. They told me that my account was -$88 and that they'd send my account into collections if I didn't correct the problem. This was after I talked to another representative who told me not worry about it, and that it won't go into collections. I wasn't going to mess around, so I just deposited money into the account to return it to a $0 balance.

S

So you are in G'burg? Small world. Holla and come visit the Hideaway some time. I'll help you drown your sorrows...

On 2012-08-28 09:48, White Devil wrote:
Don't let your mouth get ahead of your brain in the midst of misunderstandings, and there's a chance to overcome them. Most of the independent artists here are one-man bands, not amazon.com, so you sometimes have to remember that it is what it is.

As an "independent artist" who does everything himself, I will say that if this claim is true it is completely unacceptable and the "mouth get ahead of your brain" comment is pretty lame. You don't take someone's money and then fail to send a product or refund, PERIOD.
A customer should not have to hound you for something they paid for. It's not just weak customer service it's a weak way to exist.
I've had to deal with this type of nonsense with some small record labels and it can get really frustrating when you try in good faith to keep things civil. Hopefully this will all work out for everyone involved.

C

I'm also out from a Paypal payment sent January 2012 months ago.

He claimed to have sent the package & was looking into it with the post office since May 15th, but my last few PMs to him have been read, but not replied to.

I have purchased an item or 2 from him in the past with no problems, which is why I was hesitant to post my problem here & try to resolve via PMs.

I do not understand why he is reading, but not replying to my PMs & right now I am out the $40 & not happy about it. At all.

Here's hoping the Witch Doctor makes right by us.

[ Edited by: strangedaisy 2013-09-30 15:39 ]

"mouth get ahead of your brain" comment is pretty lame. You don't take someone's money and then fail to send a product or refund, PERIOD.

very true my man......well said.....LAME!

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2012-08-28 13:31 ]

On 2012-08-28 12:40, croe67 wrote:
I have purchased an item or 2 from him in the past with no problems, which is why I was hesitant to post my problem here & try to resolve via PMs.

I was also hesitant, that's why I waited three months to post anything on the forum. I have slews of PMs I've sent to him, he responds with excuses and "I'll pay ya soons." I'd hate for someone to go through this as it's a huge waste of my time trying to get my money back. I really don't expect a refund (but I'll gladly accept it) but at least I'm getting the word out to watch out. I'm not surprised to see people come out with problems also. I think I'll start a support group, we'll meet Wednesday nights at 7pm.

very true my man......well said.....LAME!

I'm not defending dishonest dealings, merely pointing out that sometimes they're the result of disorganization, not dishonesty. Running the mouth before the brain's in gear is a symptomatic problem all over internet forums, not just here. The knee-jerk vitriol spewed on newbies is just one example, and has a lot to do with why you see so few original TCers posting here. In short: grow up, folks.

T

In my mind the sale is not done till the customer gets the product AND is happy.
That's a lot of steps between making, selling, shipping.
It is the reason I don't sell lot o stuff, too much work.
But ya can't leave people hangin in this message in a second world.

Quote from the Witch Doctor:

If anyone thinks i'm "ripping them off" please call me 706-951-7565

I have sent him money and I haven't received any mugs yet either. I still have faith in him to come through. I talked to Smokin Tikis at the Oasis and he says that the Witch Doctor works on his own schedule. He started to carry some of his mugs, but he said he had to keep on him about getting him to ship the mugs. It seems like a big ordeal to me to have to man this operation with just one person.

I would not like to get my money stolen, but I would much rather have the awesome mugs that the Witch Doctor makes than the money, that is why I paid him. I will wait patiently for my mugs and I hope that he comes through for all of us.

I would not like to get my money stolen, but I would much rather have the awesome mugs that the Witch Doctor makes than the money, that is why I paid him. I will wait patiently for my mugs and I hope that he comes through for all of us.

Applause!

[ Edited by: strangedaisy 2013-09-30 15:40 ]

I find it so $^%&^#@ hard to believe that after selling out on all these designs he's made this year that he can't afford to pay you $88.00....
I hate dealing with kind of crap myself in life and really hate reading about it here on TC, I thought we were all suppose to be one Ohana..??

Come on Witch Doctor pay what's owed and sell another mug.. done..:wink:

Damn, I need a Mai Tai now.. :D :drink:

I just got back to town.. been on the road for 3 weeks and just saw this post

Sorry my shipping / missing packages have caused a hassle...
If anyone has not received a mug they have paid for please contact me personally.
This is the first time I've herd of some of these issues, as I'm not always they one checking this site or my PM's

The girl helping me box and ship did not do her job, so now let me clean up this.

My Mistake and will fix this.
Those who buy from me every month and support me thanks so much
Those who are against me, thank you I will just try harder to do better business

....now onward there are mugs to make! :)

I do think a one-man show can be a challenge...I would never undertake such a business as I don't think I would be successful (I'm a procrastinator).

I hope everything works out for folks. I must say that I have always had good luck with transactions from the Witch Doctor. Sometimes deliveries take a while, but I order so much stuff on a regular basis that I rarely notice that. He knows my favorite number and always let's me know when he has new items so I can order or pass.

The Golden Idol is absolutely beautiful!!!

Thanks Vamp. I should have this cleared up by tomorrow and get the missing boxes to the right people..
Please anyone contact me if you need anything, or have any doubts your business does mean a-lot to me

UP NEXT : The Obama Shrunken Head, Just in time for Halloween (or Elections) :wink:

Wow, I read through all those taexts, that's pretty lame to say the least.

Glad we weren't "Sexting" The we both would have some explaining to do :wink:

I have purchased a few of the mugs from the Witch Doctor and referred a few friends to him as well. The transactions are rarely fast but when those mugs arrive its worth every day of waiting. Your experience is not like anything I have experienced, and I can't comment on the delay other than to say it would be frustrating to say the least. Being an artist and a one man operation keeps him backlogged for sure. From what I know of the guy, he doesnt act like he's out to rip people off. I'm hoping that your experience will be fixed soon so we can go back to being amazed by what these mug makers are creating for an eager collecting public.

UP NEXT : The Obama Shrunken Head, Just in time for Halloween (or Elections) :wink:

That's kinda redundant, eh wot W.D.?

hahahahaahah............ :)

On 2012-08-28 20:56, The Witch Doctor wrote:
Thanks Vamp. I should have this cleared up by tomorrow and get the missing boxes to the right people..
Please anyone contact me if you need anything, or have any doubts your business does mean a-lot to me

So has anyone been contacted regarding their missing boxes, etc? "It should be cleared up by tomorrow." Tomorrow was yesterday. I still haven't received my refund.

One of my main motivations for joining TC (other than my obsession w tiki mugs and tiki art) was so I could get one of the Witch Doctors shrunken head hula girl mugs,contacted him through TC,sent money,got my mug no problems in a timely fashion,have recently ordered one of his temple of doom mugs and don't expect any problem w this purchase either,his mugs are worth the wait,I don't think he would intentionally rip any body off,hope everyone gets their mugs!

C

I have received a PM that mine was mailed yesterday.

I appreciate the WItch Doctor getting on it quickly!

Me too croe - fingers crossed

WD, don't know if you have shipped mine yet, still have not recieved anything. Shrunkin head S&P, big double shrunkin head, and Hula Girl.

[ Edited by: Lightning Steve 2012-08-30 10:53 ]

Yes sorting this mess out..

Thanks again for the Support and understanding
as the saying goes "If you want it done right .. Do it your self ! " :)

Jimmy Thanks for the Kind Words glad your box got there safe and sound with no tracking..glad it wasnt lost or stolen.

That texting conversation is so damn funny :D. Seems like he's jerkin you around intentionally. I do agree with some of the comments. TWD should come through for you guys that paid him money upfront for the mugs. It may just be awhile like lunavideogames mentioned. If he does not come through, he ruins his reputation with the Tiki community. BOTTOM LINE!!!!

T

Caveat Emptor

On 2012-08-28 20:56, The Witch Doctor wrote:

There's nothing weird or racist about that...wink.

TT

[i]
This is the first time I've herd of some of these issues, as I'm not always they one checking this site or my PM's

The girl helping me box and ship did not do her job, so now let me clean up this.

My Mistake and will fix this.
Those who buy from me every month and support me thanks so much
Those who are against me, thank you I will just try harder to do better business

I love my mug I bought from you in the past, but this can't be the first time you heard of these issues since you have these issues every time you make a mug.

Blaming the "girl" is pretty lame and dishonest imo.

Not sure why you always have these issues, but you really need to get organized. Weird business model.

T

Just got off the phone with the Witch Doctor and all is good. My mug is on the way. Thanks man!

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.