Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What food do you serve at your tiki bar?

Pages: 1 22 replies

In a sidebar to a recent post asking what the top 5 tiki drinks are I was wondering what the most common appetizers are out there. If you've got a great recipe be sure to include it!

a shot of creme of casis, topped with pernot.KILLER VITTLES!!!!!!

Coconut popcorn shrimp, Chicken satay and
crabcakes are my recommendations.

No Ka Oi Maui Onion Souffle (Dip)

Recipe By : KTA

2 large Maui onions -- chopped
2 cups shredded cheese
1 3/4 cups mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon Tiger Sauce
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
8 ounces waterchestnuts, canned -chopped

Combine all ingredients in an ovenproof dish. Bake at 375-degrees for 25-30
minutes. Serve with crackers.

A crowd favorite -- any sweet onion will do -- and any tobasco instead of tiger sauce is fine

Sweet Potato Cakes

Recipe By : KTA
1 large sweet potato -- grated
11/2ounces Maui Onions -- grated
2 tablespoons green onion -- chopped
1 egg
1/2 ounce flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
dash white pepper
1 teaspoon Chinese parsley chopped
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup macadamia nut oil or canola oil

Combine all ingredients except oil. Form pancake-sized patties. In a large
skillet, pan-fry pancakes in oil over medium heat until lightly browned and
heated thoroughly. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
These were pretty tasty too

Though not an appetizer, our old standby for parties is oven-roasted Kalua Pork (recipe posted here once or twice) and coconut rice (just plain old white rice, but substitute coconut milk for the water and watch your temperature - it scorches easily). There are NEVER any leftovers of these - last party I didn't even get to have any, they went so quick.

We also like to serve traditional cocktail-era appetizers like meatballs on toothpicks and tiny pigs-in-a-blanket. We have an old (early 70s) appetizer recipe book that's a lot of fun, and our guests always comment that they remember when their moms used to make appetizers like that. Screw health food!

At a wrap party I just threw for a commercial I recently finished, we had sushi, but only because the director happens to be good at rolling his own. Otherwise it's just too expensive...

F

If the number of guests do not make it cost-prohibitive, I'll always go with something seafood; bacon-wrapped scallops are a personal fave, or shrimp, pinapple, red peppers and onions grilled kaboob-style. When the mouth count goes up it's a variation on chicken wings; marinade them in tequilla and key lime juice for a few hours and then glaze them with teriaki sauce in the final minutes of cooking.

T

FastCo...How are you cooking the wings?

F

Opps, sorry, ya that part might help...after the marinade, I wrap tin foil over a cookie sheet, or use the policitally-inncorrect 3 for $1.38 disposable cookie sheets (these will kill a pan)... spray that crap out of the pan surface with a conola based oil, or rub olive oil on the pan (the right way), rub some oil on the wings, salt and pepper them, then in the oven at 400, after about 15 minutes, give em a good shake in the pan to make sure they all are "free" turn 'em over after another 15 minutes( re-salt and pepper the upturned side if they "look" like they need it), paint the teraki on 'em and let 'em ago about another 10 minutes or so, don't be shy about over-cooking them, a tiny bit of black is good in wing-karma...

enjoy

[ Edited by: FastCo on 2003-07-11 21:13 ]

W

Edamame...Green soybeans in the pod. You can buy the frizzed bags of them at Asian grocers and usually in the health food section of big grocery stores. Dump a bag into boiling water, boil 'til the beans is hot (not cooked), give 'em a quick rinse in cold water (just to cool 'em down a bit so they don't bite fingers), dump into some swell monkeypod bowl you bought but never used for anything and sprinkle big salts over the top. Have another bowl for the shells. They're easy as heck to make...Even with a buzz on...And everyone I've served these to have loved 'em.

Fried Bamboo Shoots!! Try it sometime. Then, try dipping them into caramel!! Mmmmmm!!!

Had a quickie tiki shindig this weekend and found two kinds of Banana chips at Trader Joes. One just dehydrated or something (sweet like candy) and the other fried and salted (almost like corn chips). Then some Guaca-Mango salsa to dip them in. Mmmmm!

Kahiki Tidbits. The quite edible but rather common frozen dribble that is left of the once mighty Kahiki. Available at supermarkets everywhere.

Evil rival tribesmen on other side of island, but Christian Gods on floating mountain come to island and say no more.
Now after war party, tribe drive to Golden Arches (like rainbow in sky), speak into magic tiki box and ask for what white man call, "filet o fish" with tartar sauce. Unga miss old days.

M

MTKahuna's Ono Ono Recipies:

Mana Pua: Pork (or chicken) baked in a bun
Musubi: Rice & spam wrapped with seaweed and covered in teriaki sauce.
Pe'a kaki: Fish heads & parts (leave in the eyes)cooked in half/half & coconut milk w/ onions and spices.
Taro root: Peeled & Boiled
Poi: Fermented and mashed taro root
White rice: a must
Kalua Pig(cooked in an Imu or Umu):
Kill and gut a nice fat pig, wash out, add veggies, salt, and soy sauce. Dig a deep hole in da front yard, fill with hot rocks (also put the rocks inside da pig), and cover with banna leaves.
After 2 hours, it is ready to eat. :D
Limu & Kuikui: Fresh seaweed & raw sea erchant- bite off the bottom of the shell and suck out the goodness. Use seaweed for chewiness.
Dessert: Pinapple pie

*If you can't find these items, you can always use Vandercamps tator tots & fried chicken wings and serve a nice assortment of hostess treats for dessert.
They will also do the trick.
BUON APETITE
:tiki:

...You must be Scottish..

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Jul 14, 2003 2:37 PM

gotta have lumpia (Filipino style egg rolls).
Ahi Poke if you're into raw fish.
Calamari fried...but not a whole lot of mainlanders are into local seafood grinds so, I would fo sho get da lumpia on da menu.
with some sweet&sour dip.

MT Kahuna, you making me hungry bro.

Yeah Geko, Lumpia is Da Kine!

I've been making some tasty pork-kabobs lately...
Just get some boneless pork chops and cut 'em up in cubes and marinate them for an hour or two. (try the Soy-Vey Island Marinade or use the regular Teriyaki but cut it with some pineapple and orange juice)
Anyway, just skewer the pork cubes with some red and green bell peppers, the white parts of green onions and most importantly... Pineapple chunks!
Then throw 'em on the grill. Mmmmmm!

Another tasty one is grilled asparagus rafts.
Skewer about 4-6 stalks of aspargus together at the top and bottom (like a little raft) This makes an easy serving per person and also keeps the little guys from falling through the grill.
Mix up some soy sauce and sesame oil and brush it on the aspargus while it's grilling. You can also sprinkle some sesame seeds on too.
Don't count on leftovers.

Aloha,
:tiki:

M

On 2003-07-14 14:02, Basement Kahuna wrote:
...You must be Scottish..

Hey BK,
Does German, Irish & Polynesian Qualify?
What's de rule? If it ain't moving... eat it! :lol:

Gecko, How's it Brah? I gonna gets some good eats this weekend. The Ho'olaule'a is happening at Alondra Park. Good food, music, dancing, and people.

Spam Musubi

M

On 2003-07-14 16:37, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Spam Musubi

It's good stuff. You can also use chicken. They sell um at 7/11's, ball games, and ABC stores in de islands.

Spam Musubi

4 cups uncooked Japanese (sticky) rice
4 cups water
5 sheets sushi-nori (seaweed)
1 can spam or spam lite
Furukaki
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup rice wine (mirin)

Cook rice in rice cooker. If no rice cooker is available, put rice and water into a large heavy saucepan. Heat water and rice until boiling then immediately turn down and simmer for approximately 20-25 mins. or until soft and water is evaporated.

Boil soy sauce, sugar and rice wine. After it boils, turn off flame.

Cut spam into 1/4 in. wide slices. Fry in pan. Soak fried spam in soy sauce mixture.

Line a musubi maker with sushi nori so that both sides stick straight up. Spread cooked rice across bottom of musubi maker, on top of nori - 1/4 inch high. Sprinkle furukaki on top of rice.

Place two pieces of spam in musubi maker on top of rice. Spam should cover most of the length of the musubi maker. Spread more cooked rice on top of spam - 1/4 in. high. Sprinkle furukaki on top of rice. Fold over one side of the nori. Use musubi maker insert to press down on top of nori, rice and spam. Fold over other side of nori and press down. Remove musubi log from maker. Cut each log into four pieces.

and valla... SPAM Musubi

On 2003-07-14 13:24, MTKahuna wrote:
Kill and gut a nice fat pig

I think I may need a tad more instruction on that part ...

Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes, Guys! My mouth is watering! I can't wait to try them at my next gathering.

All hail the freaky tiki!

[ Edited by: CruzinTiki on 2003-07-14 20:55 ]

M
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.