Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

How to Shape Your Meat?

Pages: 1 14 replies

I want an appropriate entre to serve at the Headhunter Harbor (thank you Capt Falernum for the name). Like some sort of little shrunken heads made of meat :lol: Seems that carving heads out of a pork loin would be tedious and I'm not sure pork carves all that well. Could make a press mold for patties with a low relief impression on them. How about grinding your own Teriyaki/Ginger/Pork or Chicken sausage, placing it in a (clean) pantyhose foot, molding or shaping it, steam cook it to set the shape, removing the pantyhose, then smoke or grill it?! Maybe a 2 piece ceramic mold to stuff sausage into and bake? Could be held together with silicone bands, they will withstand oven temps.

Any suggestions?

You are not making it sound very appetizing, Mike.....:lol:
and isn't "Meat Shaping" a private matter?

H

No suggestions but it sounds interesting and you always make things happen in an interesting way. good luck. :)

How about stuffed bell peppers? I've seen some pretty muppet-ish faces made out of orange and red bell peppers. You can stuff them with a nice ginger/pork sausage which will have the added benefit of looking a bit like brains. You could even sew up the little vegetable mouths and eyes, if you wished.

The problem with getting ground meat to hold a shape is that the fat and water loss is so variable as the meat cooks.

I've posted pictures of a chopped liver pineapple. Sculpt a chopped liver intrepid, if unfortunate, explorer if the mood strikes you. No one here will judge you (out loud).

I almost forgot......I got your meat........Right Here! :lol:

Wait...
You put your meat in pantyhose?

:)

HT

You could always go the Vincent Price Shrunken Heads route and let them sit out for a month.

J

The bell pepper suggestion strikes me as the most workable. Absent that, you could make something in the meatloaf family (duly Tiki-ed) and bake them in small Halloween-type molds.

I must admit I was trolling for some of those comments. Thank you ATP, H10T, and Hale for not letting me down :D
Jokeiii, I think you are right about Greg's bell pepper idea. With some stitching for the eyes and mouth it would be suggestive of a shrunken head without being over-the-top gross. And I like stuffed bell peppers too! Thanks Hilda, I will keep you posted.

H

On 2013-03-09 07:09, MadDogMike wrote:
... without being over-the-top gross....

As in this fine meatloaf head?

This time of year, they might be difficult tot find. But over the years, I've found many skull cake pans. Detail shows well with most cakes. Not so much with quick breads or meatloaf. Meatloaf more resemebled a zombie head. Might be what you're looking for.

J

On 2013-03-09 07:09, MadDogMike wrote:
I must admit I was trolling for some of those comments. Thank you ATP, H10T, and Hale for not letting me down :D
Jokeiii, I think you are right about Greg's bell pepper idea. With some stitching for the eyes and mouth it would be suggestive of a shrunken head without being over-the-top gross. And I like stuffed bell peppers too! Thanks Hilda, I will keep you posted.

MDM,

Bell peppers also lend themselves to some light carving (facial features, etc.) to take the shrunken head theme. My only caveat -- and I admit it's only MINE -- is that I never, EVER garnish with anything inedible.

H

Hakalugi, that is the grossest food thingy I have seen but I kind of like it.

Coffee Pirate and Jokeiii - thanks for the tips
Hakalugi - that is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen (and I work in a hospital) I mean that in the best way :D

HT

My way to go would be silicone molds.
And actually, for the opening of my home bar later this year, I may just steal your idea and make Moai Meat Balls for the PuPu. :)

Pages: 1 14 replies