Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Bitter Storm recipe from the Napa Rose at Disneyland Resort

Pages: 1 11 replies

This sounds tasty and I like the name. Although, probably not a tiki drink.

Bitter Storm
Serves 1

¾ ounce Bulleit Bourbon
¾ ounce Fernet-Branca
½ ounce Cherry Heering liqueur
½ ounce Poire William brandy
½ ounce Orgeat syrup
¾ ounce lemon juice
Grapefruit peel, for garnish
Pour all ingredients into a shaker; fill with ice and vigorously shake for 30 seconds.
Strain into a tall chilled classed filled with ice. Garnish with grapefruit peel.

K

Yep, saw this one yesterday and it looks like a good one.

TM

They have really stepped up the drink game all over the disney resort.

I enjoy the "Rye Manhattan" at the Al Fresco lounge.....not tiki, of course...but one of the best manhattans I ever had.

Made this over the weekend, and liked it a lot. Even more surprised when the wife liked it too...she's not a fan of Fernet and bitters in general.

I'm an admitted Rum snob, but this really does look tasty!

-Longboard

H
Hearn posted on Thu, Feb 13, 2014 6:35 AM

Sounds and looks delish...though, what is Fernet?

A

On 2014-02-13 06:35, Hearn wrote:
Sounds and looks delish...though, what is Fernet?

An bitter Italian liqueur

Fernet Branca is a very herbal Italian liqueur or fortified wine (depending on whose web site you visit) and is traditionally used as a digestif. Many people in the US loathe the flavor of Fernet Branca because we Americans are not used to this sort of thing in our food and drink flavor profiles. But if carefully used, it can add a unique and intriguing layer of interest to cocktails. Overuse of this stuff is not good in a cocktail - it is powerful, and needs to be used carefully, kind of like Pernod, to avoid complete and total imbalance and distraction in a cocktail.

There is also a very minty version of Fernet available - Branca Menta. More details can be found in an article here: http://www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRITS/branca.shtml although, in my opinion, that's not necessarily the be-all end-all definitive review of Fernet Branca and Branca Menta.

I have shied away from Fernet Branca because it has been very awkwardly used in one of my local "craft" bars. But then earlier this week a bartender at one of my fave bars made a gin-centric "Frisco Club" for me. It is an amazing drink which was at one time on the menu at Death & Co. in Manhattan, and may have originated there. I spent quite a bit of time looking for a recipe, and finally hit upon enough information to consider going to my "lab" to conduct recipe experiments. I will invest in a bottle of Fernet Branca soon - it's only about $20 in my local liquor warehouse - along with a bottle of Solerna blood orange liqueur.

Sidenote about Death & Co. -- there are several reports on the web that the owner was given an advance in 2012 to write a cocktail recipe book. This, apparently, is to follow in the footsteps of the PDT Cocktail Book which I think has been quite successful. I am hoping he does publish such a tome, as they have quite a reputation for serving some good stuff.

What drinking problem, I only drink twice a year, on my birthday, and when its not my birthday.

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2014-02-13 11:37 ]

I have had the" Frisco Club" made with Benedictine herbal liqueur

-Longboard

Longboard, that's intriguing, did you like the Frisco Club with Benedictine? The Pegu Club, and now the Frisco Club, are pulling me further into exploring gin because of how amazingly these cocktails make gin a subtle background flavor as opposed to many other gin drinks which have the gin very much more "forward" in the drink.

Sorry for the gin detour, folks, I know gin isn't really tiki. But somehow I suspect and expect that Vic and Donn drank some gin here-and-there. So that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it, heh.

gin is plenty tiki bro.

there's the Kama'aina, the Singapore Sling, and i'm not the first one who's slipped some into my Scorpions and Fogcutters...

Never had a Frisco Club any another way, didn't even know there was such a thing till a bartender in New Orleans fired up one for us. He made it for us because he knew were were from San Francisco (although the name Frisco is some place on the east coast)

When the masters were first inventing tiki drinks, Gin was the number one liquor Seems only right to take a step back and enjoy a few martinis now and then.

-Longboard

[ Edited by: longboard 2014-02-14 15:08 ]

[ Edited by: Longboard 2014-02-14 15:08 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies