Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Falernum in the west side

Pages: 1 17 replies

I just got back from beverage warehouse in culver city with a bottle of falernum!.It is not velvet , but lee bros.Tastes pretty good to me.

V

I just got a delivery from Fee Bros. 3 bottles ea. of Orange Bitters, Falernum, Orgeat, and Grenadine.

You guys might not hear from me for a little while.... (hic) :wink:

So... Even though Fee Bros. has never had a website before, I like to check on occasion in case they've opened one. This morning I stumbled across an article, from Orange County Weekly, that I thought was pretty darned interesting and figured I'd share it with you guys. It is followed by contact info on Da Vinci Gourmet, Fee Bros. and, of course, Trader Vic's.

http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/02/46/cover-ingots.php

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2003-07-21 13:40 ]

T

Thanks for sharing that great article Traitor Vic. I like his attitude!:

We are surrounded on all sides by beigist degenerates; damn-fool jackanapes; and plain lazy, ill-attired slobs, some of whom may even thumb through this fishwrap. If you only go to bars to effuse your oleaginous residue on the opposite sex, quit reading right now; we don’t want your kind in this article.

A couple comments:
Another drink with Galliano - 3/4 oz. cognac, 3/4 oz. Galliano, and 1/2 oz. lemon juice, shake and strain into cocktail glass. From "Intoxica" but I forgot it's name.

His Ramos Fizz ingredients are fine but he forgot the key part: instead of blending it should be shaken for 5-10 entire minutes with cracked ice in a shaker (preferably a metal one). Yes, 5-10 minutes! Use cracked ice, not cubed or crushed, so the sharp edges give maximum mixing effect. That's the secret to a good Ramos Fizz. It should come out super frothy but smooth. I've found that it still comes out great without the egg white if you're worried about ingesting raw egg.

That reminds me... I would love to take a poll in Tiki Central to find out how many of us, these days, are afraid to use raw eggs in drinks. I know that I, for one, am not. I, however, may be found all blue and puffed up on the floor one of these days with the last drops of a Bali Dream dripping from between my chapped and swollen lips.
Do you guys tend to use raw eggs when they're called for in a recipe? Have you found any reasonable facimiles in case you don't?

T

On 2003-07-21 14:27, Traitor Vic wrote:
That reminds me... I would love to take a poll in Tiki Central to find out how many of us, these days, are afraid to use raw eggs in drinks. I know that I, for one, am not. I, however, may be found all blue and puffed up on the floor one of these days with the last drops of a Bali Dream dripping from between my chapped and swollen lips.
Do you guys tend to use raw eggs when they're called for in a recipe? Have you found any reasonable facimiles in case you don't?

I have never personally had Salmonella but one of our group got very sick after we had Sunday brunch in Las Vegas last time. We can't be sure it was the Hollondaise sauce but I didn't have it and I didn't get sick. And it was at an expensive & famous restaurant. I don't want to go what she went through. So, I guess I am more careful since then. I admit I'm a sucker for a real Caesar salad though!

Has anyone tried the pasteurized egg white that comes in a can? It's worth a try.

Traitor Vic -

First of all if you want to drop your chance of getting Salmonella to zero - you can use Pasteurized Eggs. (This according to Alton Brown from the Food TV show Good Eats) I take anything about food from Alton as golden because the guy LOVES Food Science. He talked about this on his how to make Mayo show.

Next up there's an old book of Drink Recipes called the Esquire's Handbook for Hosts that is an absolute must if you want to dabble in the world of Sazaracs and debate the perfect Mint Julep. There are quite a few recipes that involve raw eggs or egg yolk and I for one still use raw eggs for the drinks. Specifically the Clover Club. Gals love a good Clover Club.

T.B.

[ Edited by: Tiki Baron on 2003-07-21 18:18 ]

T

On 2003-07-21 18:17, Tiki Baron wrote:
Next up there's an old book of Drink Recipes called the Esquire's Handbook for Hosts that is an absolute must if you want to dabble in the world of Sazaracs and debate the perfect Mint Julep. There are quite a few recipes that involve raw eggs or egg yolk and I for one still use raw eggs for the drinks. Specifically the Clover Club. Gals love a good Clover Club.

Great book. I have a vintage copy (which aren't too hard to find) but they are also being reprinted:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1579120431/qid=1058834260/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-6511695-6900612?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Certain drinks like a Silver Fizz one would not want to make without the raw egg as it just wouldn't be the same drink (it would just be a Gin Fizz). Same thing with a Clover Club. But a Ramos Fizz has cream in it and thus one does not miss the egg white when omitted (if it's made right with long shaking).

Ahhhhhhhhhh... Alton Brown! Yep. He's the man, alright. The town I live in had a big scare a few years back because a local sandwich company made a whole bunch of folks sick with their own mayonnaise. I guess I ought to check out the Canned Eggs just to see what they're like.
Thanks for reminding me about the Esquire Book, Baron (and for the link, Jab). I have a copy of Esquire's The Art of Mixing Drinks from 1957, but I have heard that both the Handbook for Hosts and the Esquire Drink Book are indispensible. I kinda gotta cool it for a while, though. The wife informed me that I was, once again, Running Out of Space this past weekend.
Speaking, though, of Hard-to-Find Ingredients and the Ramos Fizz... Do any of you folks know where one can acquire Orange Flower Water (or will the afformentioned Orange Bitters suffice)?

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2003-07-22 00:28 ]

M

Flower water shouldn't bee too hard to find at a large and well stocked liquor store. I love egg white in a drink- can't be beat and never had any trouble. (sound of knocking on wood)

T

On 2003-07-21 14:27, Traitor Vic wrote:
That reminds me... I would love to take a poll in Tiki Central to find out how many of us, these days, are afraid to use raw eggs in drinks.

I mention this a bit in this post:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4753&forum=1&0

I especially like the Breakfast explaination, TikiBars. How could you possibly fear a raw egg after surviving the bite of the Black Widow? Just plain not liking it is reason enough.

On 2003-07-20 00:08, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
I just got back from beverage warehouse in culver city with a bottle of falernum!.It is not velvet , but lee bros.Tastes pretty good to me.

T.W.
Here is the Place to get a steady stock of Velvet Falernum.
http://www.spiritofhartford.com/

I've been to the website and read all about it and attempted (several times) to email them but it don't work. Can you order it from them, Unga Bunga?

Hi TV,
I called them and only got a phone message.
I think they are still getting their act together (new company).
Here is the distributor in your area. I hope this helps.

Peter Fawcett
Capital Wine & Beverage Dist
3150 Charleston Highway
West Columbia, SC 29172
803-739-0188

EXCELLENT!!!
I doubt they distribute up this far but I've got a Brother-in-Law (as Sister-in-Law, too) in Columbia! That's Awesome! I'm just pleased to find out they're in SC already! And to think I was considering ordering Non-Alchoholic Falernum!!! Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww!! Give me the Alchoholic Version Anytime! Well... Except in the case of Close Family Members and Bus Drivers, that is.

Here is the latest info on The Velvet!
I'm sorry; this info is only good for California.
Here is a list of distributers in your area, so I'm sure the procedure is the same.
http://www.spiritofhartford.com/distributors.htm
In California:
Call Wine Wherehouse ((510) 236-2233) and ask them the nearest store in your area where you can order it. They will give you the location and phone number of the nearest buyer. The item order # is 369SHV02. I know the procedure is a drag, but this is the route for a brand new (redistributed) product.
I have not ordered it yet, but my instincts say I’m gonna like it !!

M

Pages: 1 17 replies