Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies

T

Hey all,

It was brought to my attention, along with photos that our former Bahooka is now officially a fully gutted, sterile box, free of any life, charm or signs of Rufus. My last understanding based on the owner and those taking care of Rufus was that because there was fear of moving him more than ONCE, the owner was building a new "2000 gallon aquarium" to relocate Rufus inside not far away from his old tank in this new proposed Chinese restaurant. So...the question arises, since he is obviously not there anymore and has been moved "once", now... So where is he?
Kari sent some emails and messages to Fez Moai yesterday waiting to see if he or anyone else that has been in closer physical eye sight and communication with the owner know the answers. Hoping we hear solid info SOON and some photos SOON!
Sorry to trigger this discussion again, but until we have a safe place
for this great little mascot, I myself, cannot let it go.

Best way to reach me for art or questions directly is this link: https://www.facebook.com/tom.thordarson.3
OR Search on Facebook for : THOR ART

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-04-16 07:33 ]

I hope this isn't a situation where the owner thought once the media attention died down he could dispose of them without drawing ire.

T

Well I am hoping to not jump to any conclusions yet, but history has warranted distrust based on the owners behavior instability. I am concerned though.. It's just too quiet... hoping the update to the press on this community story favors the new owner over the alternative...cus believe me...everyone is waiting for the promised "happy ending" (no pun) with this restaurant and it WILL be publicized highly.

Best way to reach me for art or questions directly is this link: https://www.facebook.com/tom.thordarson.3

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-04-16 08:10 ]

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-04-16 09:50 ]

FM

I'll give Kari a call today.

T

Hey Fez! What's the latest? Thanks for responding. What is the situation?

This doesn't bode well.

T

I am not liking the vibe either....way too much "quiet" and no answers. The silence in every direction is not comforting at all.

T

I was born in 1980. This fish is older than I am.
I hope all the best for him.

I have tried to contact Jorge Mastache, but the calls keep going to voice-mail
has anyone had contact with a person who has any answers yet?

Since Fez is buddy's with the owner, I am very surprised he has not posted any news yet
got a bad feeling about this!

I think that it's more than just a strange coincidence that Lucas Vigor disappeared about the same time that Rufus did. I'm going to assume that Lucas killed Rufus and then went into hiding.

Buzzy Out!

FM

I can't comment too much about this, but Rufus is fine (I'm told) and safe. As I had mentioned before in the previous Rufus thread, I am following the situation and still working on it. I'm trying to solve this with tact and not an angry posse of cowboys. Jorge is in Mexico right now, so save your calls to him. Yes, the Bahooka is an empty, gutted shell now. The demolition team hauled away truckloads and dumpsters full of stuff, including fish tanks, walls, etc. All destroyed and trashed.

So just where is Rufus now?
do you have any details on how & maybe who moved him?

On 2014-04-17 14:34, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I think that it's more than just a strange coincidence that Lucas Vigor disappeared about the same time that Rufus did. I'm going to assume that Lucas killed Rufus and then went into hiding.

Buzzy Out!

Maybe...maybe they're the SAME PERSON.

T

There is one cure to rumors and over active imaginations…and that is the simple "truth" and clear communication. None here should be ambiguous about accurate info IF….big IF, verified. But again, my gut says until I see photos, I am distrustful as to ANYTHING the current owner of Bahooka's property says based on patterns, historically exhibited here on inaccurate info, and lack of follow through on his word! The math is not in our favor!

Seriously…it's simple! I do feel there should be a LOT more updates on this fish if anyone, owner included, wants this community to shut up and feel closure. This is not "cowboy" stuff…lol…it's intelligent and compassionate people following through on a cause that never reached acceptable closure.

Ambiguity WILL snowball this all into here say, frustration…and a very concerned community! I wish I could say otherwise….but we have a really festered wound that needs some verified information antibiotics STAT! I am getting a lot of personal messages here from really upset people reaching out to vent or offer theory's…and I wish I had verified proof of Rufus' good standing personally. I have to say…this won't just fade with silence or just someone's word. PROOF WILL BE NEEDED CUS DISTRUST WAS CULTIVATED. This will just generate a lot of frustration and really bad press at some point if left too long without firm answers. Patience will be very limited at this point based on the time this situation has taken to unfold favorably. THIS is the pure truth of this situation, without dancing around it.

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-04-17 19:32 ]

As with any controversial topic and wrapped in passion, there is bound to be a lot of frustration for everyone. I hope we can all be cordial with each other in this thread and continue working on the goal of providing Rufus with a safe place to live where he can still serve as a Tiki mascot. He must be lonely now without the usual happy faces peering in at him and hand feeding him. I certainly hope he is not stressed or depressed...I worry about him.

Tom thank you for your follow up, it is much appreciated.

I was thinking about this the other day and am glad Thor put up this thread. I think it's understandable for some of us to have emotion about an issue/cause/fish that a lot of us contributed time to as well as money. If anyone does have actual information it would be great to put it here. Ambiguity won't contribute anything and in 2 weeks we'll probably have another locked thread.

I was at Damons yesterday afternoon and I couldn't help thinking how nice it would have been if Rufus was there.

T

"He must be lonely now without the usual happy faces peering in at him and hand feeding him. I certainly hope he is not stressed or depressed...I worry about him"

More like thrilled that people are not pounding on his tank, flashing bright lights at him ect...
The parrot Sam at the Kahiki had to be taken out for a bit to recover from all his "friends" at the Kahiki.
Once saw a guy giving him fruit from a drink!
Some animals like company of people but I would think not to that level.
More like they learn to take the abuse.

It is odd that there has not been updates from the people that were knee deep in this at the time.
We were to hear about a meeting that was going to happen about this a week after this all blew up.

QUOTE Tangaroa-Ru 2/20/2014
"Those of us who were in the thick of this are going to find an evening in the next week or so to finally meet each other in person, talk about this experience and discuss what might happen next. We want to stay prepared, should this situation change again. We're hoping Jorge will accept our invitation to join us at that meeting, as he deserves a "thank you" dinner, big time. When Lynn figures out what to do about the funds that were raised,They were raised specifically to purchase Rufus from him and help cover the costs of moving him to a new home"

Did that meeting happen? (would have been about 50 or so days ago)
Should have been an update here on that.
Locking this thread would only bring a need for a new thread that would deal with the means to return money given to this failed cause if it is to fail.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-04-18 05:46 ]

Why would this thread be locked? There's no reason as far as I can tell, when I first saw Tiki Al's pictures I thought the same thing - Where is Rufus? I'm hoping for a solid update.

T

HEY ALL! The last thread was locked ONLY because I asked it to be…I had initiated the last thread. The comments just got so vicious as far as posters attaching each other, it lost its initial intent and became useless. I said "please lock the thread and put it outta it's misery" and the Moderator respected my request. I don't see this happening again unless it wavers again. It WILL get a bit heated and emotional though..and should…its the only "therapy" we have so far on getting closure to this Rufus issue.
Let's get some confirm answers!

T

"Why would this thread be locked?"
I thought Someone said something about it earlier but then there has been some changes since then.

Why would any be locked really?

Looks like we still have more questions that answers.

T

Tiki Skip, I thought I answered your question above. I apologize. Threads do get locked on TC when the topic focus get's diluted by social banter that get's off topic or on a "personal attack" sort of nature. The negativity is better extinguished and the attitude stay on positive or a proactive discussion for the good of the topic. In the case of this Rufus issue, the focus HAS to be on digging up info and seeing that we can have a positive outcome on this, for the sake of the fish...that's what the past post and this one is for.

Let's keep the nature in that direction. We have a lot of people who really just want to see a positive outcome to this saga. lol I will only suggest that this thread be terminated/locked if it turns into a mud slinging fest inside our community here again. It's bad energy..and not proactive.

The only figure so far that leaves me "unsettled" is the current owner of the former Bahooka property...because of his failure to show sensitivity to our concern, and tell us things that turned out to not be true or the "goal posts moved away"..over and over. This breeds concern that I hope is lessened by info, proof of the current whereabouts of the fish...etc.
Hope that helps!! Thanks Skip!

FM

Folks, PLEASE bear with me here. I cannot comment much on the situation and I'm sorry. It's not what you want to hear, but it's what I can do right now. I'm still on it.

Fez: Thanks for taking time out of your schedule to handle this. I'm sure it's not how you hopes to spend Easter weekend.

Thor: Assuming Fez gets info, since there's so much distrust it's going to be hard to believe what the owner says. If he says Rufus is OK, will people believe it without pics? If he provides pics, will people say it's not Rufus? Now that he's not in the restaurant, it would seem all bets are off.

I would say some pictures is exactly what we need right now
I really don't see why this would be a problem for the owner
to do so? Hope he lets Fez take a few.

Everyday, I cringe, when I click on this thread, expecting the worst. I hope Ruffus is safe & sound.

I agree with you BK. Pictures would be helpful for some of us. I hope it all ends up in a very positive way for Rufus.

Still no word?

The people who did the fund raiser should give some kind of update at
the very least.

Fez Moai seems to be the guy in the know, but he hasn't posted since his "bear with me" update almost a week ago.

T

I have still heard nothing. I am admittedly becoming increasingly concerned and agitated. Many factors, being the reason.

1. We all made it PERFECTLY CLEAR to the owner that should he change his mind as to the "2000 gallon tank in the new Chinese restaurant being built for Rufus" that he promised, we had caring people and a new home, and funds to get him there standing by! This said, for the owner to bag the fish and send it elsewhere...was in my opinion, a stubborn, spiteful action. Rufus's tank was still at old Bahooka, drained and empty and I am certain his transportation was not what was optimally safe.

2. If there was ANY respect for the people who have expressed such concern for Rufus here, and publicly, and the owner TRUTHFULLY HAS, in fact found a safe home for him, and in good heath, tell me why he would not think to have offered closure on this and get people off his back by sharing photos and more info on his safe transfer and health? The silence smells of one hoping all will forget, ask no questions and go away if he says nothing and tells a good story!

3. This owner, as I said earlier, has shown a history..a proven track record, of motivation based on money and attention that might bring him business profit. He changed his "word" numerous times and when the attention and possibility for personal $ gain seems to be no longer a factor, Rufus quietly VANISHES!

All this together makes me VERY uneasy. I don't want to make ANY false accusations, but I think we need to stay involved and follow through on this for closure that we all deserve.

Personally, I would give this through this coming weekend and if nothing surfaces at all, I think something needs to be publicized. I have people that are not even in our Tiki social circles that live in the valley here that all ask me what the outcome of Rufus is now...and are sincerely interested. IF...and I am hoping and praying this would NEVER be the discovery, Rufus is un accounted for by the owner, I feel it is a warranted action to let EVERYONE know fully what the character of the owner has proven to be and the type of energy ...BAD ENERGY this new restaurant will hold! I am really hoping for optimistic news about now!

Let's hope for pictures by early next week and take action from there. Please share your thoughts...let's stay cool and collected, but move forward.

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-04-24 11:27 ]

Thor - are you saying there are pictures of Rufus' old tank drained and empty?

Did anyone see this firsthand? It seems logical that if anyone has been over to the restaurant since they emptied it out then, they probably spoke to the people there and would have information about Rufus. If that person was on this forum it would be nice if they shared that information.

Also (as Skip said) as much as I appreciate the fundraising effort, since I (and many others here) did contribute to it it would be nice to hear an update from those folks.

T

O.K...eating my lunch with Tiki Central here I think today. lol

To answer your question's "savage".

1. Yes, myself and numerous others saw photos posted on Facebook and I believe a separate thread here of the fully gutted Bahooka. I was told also by those ON SITE that Rufus's tank was part of a lot of "junk" waiting for haul away....empty.

2. Regarding the funds. I was never part of that organized effort. In fact, was never consulted on it or asked for commentary in any way regarding the fund raise. I was happy to see the passion exhibited though!!

I would suggest you contact the people who organized that. What I have heard only from side conversations, is that the reason those funds have been left to stay in the "piggy bank" a little longer was that EVERYONE was pretty certain that the issue of taking Rufas would re-surface...and that the owner would re-consider his putting Rufus in the Chinese restaurant in his proclaimed 2000 gallon new home, and ask for him to be taken off his hands again after the hype settled. What has happened so far, unless it still could unfold differently, is that Rufus was again "given the boot" by the current owner, but instead of contacting any of us, took care of it his "own way". The factor we need to know with certainty is HOW he took care of this matter this time. Many are still hoping he might be in a holding tank somewhere and could be possibly attained still and the funding plan activated as intended to get Rufas to Damon's.

Again, I am not in any contact with the new owner or information details. Fez Moai and perhaps any remaining former Bahooka staff that might frequent or hang out at the site and speak to this owner would need to step forward with information, IF it exists. The main point I am stressing is..."his word"(the owner) means nothing at this point. We really need some solid visual and eye witness evidence, or as I said...this whole story needs the fuse re-lit and I tell yah, if the news we uncover is at all ambiguous or tragic, the fuse is going to ignite one HELL of an explosion!!!!!!!

SoCal Savage it was Tiki Al who was at the Bahooka a few weeks ago
and whom posted the pictures, he did ask the workers there about Rufus
but did not get any answers & was asked to leave.

I am not saying Fez Moai is a part of this, but he is friends with the owner
and is in contact with the owner, he has talked to him, but Fez doesn't seem to want to share
that information with us at this time, I find that extremely worrisome

Maybe someone here who is on friendly terms with Fez Moai can contact him for this info?
I myself have tried to call Jorge, with no luck, Fez says he is in Mexico
which means he is not here taking care of Rufus & that raises another red flag.

Thanks, Fez. I know you've put a lot of time into this so far, and hopefully you'll have good news soon.

T

Aloha Tiki Tacky!
I don't think we have heard yet from Fez recently this week. This thread is my doing. I understand he is trying to keep the "relationship" with this owner that he has gotten to know a bit socially through his interests in the salvage of the Bahooka items. But, At this point, anyone who can communicate with this owner without making him further hide away is fair game to possible info. But with caution. His English is poor, I have heard. If anyone speaks Mandarin that is a big plus!

This is sort of like talking through a hostage situation!! Haaa Yah gotta negotiate the "actions" with care and the right "words" for fear of the entire thing going up in smoke! lol

Here is my concern regarding time. IF Rufus is still with us and in a place where his conditions are not ideal or correct, each day that passes risks his ever being able to survive this. SO we really don't have a limited time, and have to assume this attitude since we just don't have enough info to assure a good situation otherwise. This is my reason for pushing this issue to yield some results and the sense of urgency. I fully realize it's a fine line, but we just can't wait indefinitely, which I believe most would agree, thinking this through.

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-04-25 07:22 ]

Thor - thanks for the info. I'm not on Facebook anymore and if there was a thread with pics on here I must have missed it. I agree with everything you've said and considering who they are and their ties to this community, I actually trust that the folks behind the fundraiser will reach out when the time is right/the Rufus situation is resolved.

When this was going on originally I was in contact with El Jefe on here and I think he may be friendly with or at least in contact with Fez (Jefe apologies in advance if this isn't true).

Actually, my post was in a response to one from Fez Moai from late last night. It appears to have been deleted, which I don't understand as I didn't think users could delete posts? I'm assuming there's a reason why it was deleted so I won't repeat it, but color me confused.

T

I would like some more of the community to kick in with suggestions. Like I mentioned earlier, my thought is to give it through the weekend and go to a "plan B". I have my ideas but hoping with over 2000 hits viewing this thread thus far, we get some more thoughts other than the half dozen so far expressing concern.

It's just getting really dismal waiting much longer.... Not unlike a "missing person"...the longer it goes with no signs or answers, the odds drop rapidly as to a positive outcome.

[ Edited by: THOR's 2014-04-25 15:43 ]

T

On 2014-04-16 12:15, Fez Moai wrote:
I'll give Kari a call today.

The owner of new Bahooka owes us nothing, in fact I'm sure he's pissed at us.
But there are others that should give an update here.
Did Fez call Kari 9 days ago?
Was there a meeting like two months ago?

The holder of the fund raiser cash should post an update.
At this time that is the only person that has an obligation to us really.

I would think the new owner knows it would not be good if this fish dies.
He could be hiding that fact (Rufus may be dead)so he can get his restaurant up and running before
anyone finds out.
Don't think that people will forget this though.
Would be best to clear the air now cuz it's starting to smell fishy.

H

On 2014-04-25 15:18, TikiTacky wrote:
Actually, my post was in a response to one from Fez Moai from late last night. It appears to have been deleted, which I don't understand as I didn't think users could delete posts? I'm assuming there's a reason why it was deleted so I won't repeat it, but color me confused.

I'm pretty sure no moderator would delete his post, unless it was by Fez's request. I never received such a request. There have in the past been occasional system glitches where posts have been lost, but other than this one missing post from Fez I've not heard of any others.

Instead of us waiting around for Fez to check in, please share with us what was in his post.

FM

I did speak to Kari and gave her the same info that I'm posting here, so please don't blow up her inbox with questions guys. Rufus is Ok and is being taken care of. Alan Zhu needed him out of the restaurant to start the remodel, which is a good thing. Too many people were stirring the pot before and it wasn't conducive to making an agreement. So I have to keep it on a need-to-know type of basis, like James Bond. This mission requires Seal Team precision and not an Army invasion. It's easier for someone with a working relationship like me to deal with him. There are cultural, language, and timing nuances that must be taken into consideration if this is to succeed. I need you guys to turn down the temperature a bit and give me some time to work something out. Certain roadblocks have fallen to the wayside which favor our cause. I understand the frustration and the concern and hopefully someday soon we'll all have a Mai Tai with Rufus again. Thanks!

That's a bunch of bullshit Fez!

All that we want to know is where is Rufus?
what is up with his current living conditions/housing
and a photo, is that to much to ask for?

What is stopping you from sharing that info?
and why would it take a couple of weeks for you to reply

we are not talking about any future plans the owner has for Rufus at this time
we just want to know if he is alive for christ sakes!

ATP, I understand your concern but yelling and cursing isn't going to help. Fez already indicated that Rufus was OK, and that he was being cared for. But I agree, the lack of details is unsettling and doesn't make a lot of sense, and hopefully Fez will be able to explain soon. Pardon the pun, but it definitely smells fishy.

On 2014-04-25 16:52, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2014-04-25 15:18, TikiTacky wrote:

I'm pretty sure no moderator would delete his post, unless it was by Fez's request. I never received such a request. There have in the past been occasional system glitches where posts have been lost, but other than this one missing post from Fez I've not heard of any others.

Instead of us waiting around for Fez to check in, please share with us what was in his post.

Eh, it wasn't anything earth shattering. He said he was still trying to get details and urged people to be patient. He was clearly exasperated.

FM

tiki punk just showed exactly why I don't post much info.

On 2014-04-25 17:46, Fez Moai wrote:

Yea, thanks for more non-information & non-answers, mystery boy.

FM

no problem. ; ). I'm Fez Moai, Mystery Boy is my sidekick.

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-04-25 17:55 ]

EJ

On 2014-04-25 17:50, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2014-04-25 17:46, Fez Moai wrote:

Yea, thanks for more non-information & non-answers, mystery boy.

Quote:

On 2014-02-19 18:54, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

So says the newbie who hasn't been here two months yet & is not even part of this community
I will remind everyone it was Fez who started this Rufus debacle in the first place
and his only reason for being here is to sell shit to you.

With your history of attacking Fez and insinuations I can totally see why Fez would want to interact with you. But you don't do those things right? Isn't that what you have said in the past. Way to derail another thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies