Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

A Tiki Thirstday Escape August 15, 2019

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies

DC

House of Foong Lin has newly renovated its bar and lounge.
Recently named "One of the Best Tiki Bars in the DC Area" by the Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/bars-clubs/need-an-island-getaway-grab-your-hawaiian-shirt-and-head-to-a-tiki-bar/2019/07/24/636c1fdc-a729-11e9-9214-246e594de5d5_story.html

If you are in or around the DC area this week, drop in,
order up a classic Mai Tai '44 and enjoy some Exotica.
(And don't forget your Tiki shirt/dress)

A TIKI THIRSTDAY ESCAPE
When: Every Thursday, ALL YEAR LONG (major holidays are maybes)
Where: House of Foong Lin, 4613 Willow Ln, Bethesda
Time: 5:00 pm until Closing.

$6 Trader Vic's style Mai Tais all evening.
PLUS 2 More Tiki classics on special for only $7
Exotica on the sound system, great food and great company.

:sheckymug: Wearing Tiki / Hawaiian / Island wear is not required, but strongly encouraged and rewarded.
Can't find your Tiki shirt? We have an entire wall full of them in all kinds of sizes, feel free to use one for the night - just return it before you leave :) (not to worry they are dry cleaned regularly)

*Though it’s always tiki time at the House of Foong Lin, Thursday night is the restaurant’s long-standing tiki night. Crowds decked out in Hawaiian shirts and straw hats enjoy drink specials — the Mai Tai 44, modeled on Trader Vic’s original recipe; a potent Painkiller; a sweet and pineappley Dr. Foo — while videos of Bora Bora’s palm trees, beaches and blue lagoons play on a large screen.

The Chinese cuisine includes plenty of dishes that would have been familiar to Trader Vic diners: hoisin-heavy spare ribs, crab rangoon, shrimp toast, spicy shrimp dumplings. The drink menu, which contains more than two dozen options, is a relic, too: The blurb for the bitter-heavy Sneaky Tiki warns that “One too many and you’ll know how this drink got its name!” But spend a couple of happy hours at the House of Foong Lin, and you’ll know why it has so many regulars.*

EASY PARKING: There is a 200 space municipal parking lot directly across the street.

Why Drive If You Can Metro: House of Foong Lin is only a 5 minute walk from the Bethesda Metro station.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2018-10-20 14:47 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2019-08-15 10:57 ]

How fun...looks like you guys have a great place for a meet-up. Thanks for posting pictures and CHEERS to all.

DC

On 2014-07-08 22:38, VampiressRN wrote:
How fun...looks like you guys have a great place for a meet-up. Thanks for posting pictures and CHEERS to all.

Mahalo for the kind words and encouragement. More of us who are disappointed for the lack of local Tiki should try to find a local spot receptive to adding a little Tiki to their bar menu. It starts off with a couple of drinks and if those go well, perhaps they too will expand. Nothing ventured nothing mixed. It's worth a try.

Aloha Tiki Thirstdayers!

Tonight we celebrate with Tiki Thirstday 17 (no, not the movie with William Holden), and I can happily say that it is going strong and growing. Mahalo to all who come and share. We've gone from a dozen friends who wondered if it could work at all, to a regular night out that we all look forward to each week (or as often as life allows). Lately we've been very full with our last six weeks averaging over 30 people, but even when the numbers do run low, the torches burn bright and the Aloha spirit is high.

And though I have been mentioning numbers, it is just to share how we are growing - to merely mark the high and low tides. Our Tiki Thirstday night out, like Tiki itself, is not about how many, but how much. How much pleasure comes from gathering together. How much the soft blue glow of a flame in an exotic drink can transport you to another place and time. How much relaxation that comes from an evening of "Island Time." It is in this spirit I'd like to share a couple of comments sent to me recently from some of you who say it so well...

"It's good people and good times, and even if you don't know anyone... the crowd is so welcoming that you'll have some new friends even if you just come to one."

"This is the tiki/Ohana spirit I think many of us forget when we get wrapped up in our own collections and ideas of what it means to be tiki. :)"

Mahalo nui loa na ho'olaule'a me la kaua! - Jeff

**Tonight for those who can...**  
Guest DJs Wanted! Do you have a iPod, iPad, iPhone, just filled to the brim with Exotica and other Tiki themed music? If you've got, or can make a long playlist (around two hours), bring it in and we'll hook you up to the sound system in the Lounge.

**Bring a favorite or fun Tiki mug**  
The eagle eyed among you may have noticed some of us bringing our own Tiki mugs to enjoy our drinks in. Aside from keeping track of your drink, it is another way of Tiki-ing up our evening and may be the beginnings of a Mug Club that some of our Thirstdayers have been talking about.

**Who is interested in having...**  
A "Vinyl Night" Tiki Thirstday night over the next few weeks? One of our new regulars, Josè, has generously offered to bring a vintage turntable and some of his vinyl Exotica collection to play for us. Others could bring in some of their favorite vinyl to mix in as well. Please let me know via email or at tonight's gathering if this is something you'd like to see us have.

**Still looking for...**  
Chef Fu is looking for few quality "fan back"  or "Peacock" rattan/wicker chairs to help decorate the Lounge. If any of you know where these can be bought new, especially locally, that would be a great help. Fyi, several good friends have pointed to second hand/Craig's List bargains, but because this will be restaurant seating (perhaps one chair each at 2-4 of the front tables), they need to be first quality and hold up to daily use.

Trying something new.

Rather than a separate listing for every Tiki Thirstday, I'll update the heading/dates for the main listing and add new details as needed. If anyone has opinions as to whether this listing is good/bad/worse let me know.

Looking for Guest Tiki DJs!

Do you have an iPod/iPhone full of Exotica and other Tiki themed music? If you can, please create a playlist of about 90 minutes to 2 hours and we'll spin it up on the house sound system for everyone to enjoy.

Why only Exotica and Tiki themed music? If you think about it, you can hear everything else (inluding Buffett) at bars and restaurants everywhere else. At the area's *only Tiki Night Out - with the area's largest Tiki drink menu, we want to add to the lounge atmosphere and keep up the theme.

*Other places in the area have a few Tiki drinks on the menu, but when you go to those places almost no one is wearing Aloha/Tiki wear and they aren't playing themed music.

H

Say, Dr. Coruba - if you'd like, I'd be happy to post a notice about your monthly get-together on the Facebook page for Critiki. I can post a link to this thread, or if there's a Facebook page/event for this I could link to that. I think folks would love to hear about it, especially since you guys are in a bit of a tiki desert!

On 2014-07-18 16:34, Humuhumu wrote:
Say, Dr. Coruba - if you'd like, I'd be happy to post a notice about your monthly get-together on the Facebook page for Critiki. I can post a link to this thread, or if there's a Facebook page/event for this I could link to that. I think folks would love to hear about it, especially since you guys are in a bit of a tiki desert!

Mahalo, Humuhumu! Just sent you an email with some info. Always glad to have someone grab an oar and help paddle.

[[[((8-0))]]] Recap of Tiki Thirstday XVIII, July 17 [[[((8-0))]]]
Tiki Thirstday kept rolling along for number 18 this week. New faces along with our ever ready regulars brought our gathering to the mystical number 31. Alohas to Jerry and Sandy, Peter and Patti for having friends that enticed them in for a first time visit that we hope will not be their last.

Due to the generosity of several of our regulars (Sabina and Mike, Lena, Lisa, and John) we have a surplus of added items to our door prize pool. We're working on an interesting way to add them to the mix. Look for our first try this Thursday, July 24.

When is your Birthday? Send me your birthday date and we will raise a toast to you on the Tiki Thirstday closest to the actual date of your birthday. If your birthday actually falls ON one of our Tiki Thirstdays AND you let me know well ahead of time, there may be something special in store for you.

(As Always) Huge Mahaloz to Miss Ling, who makes our drinks, and Our Host, Chef Fu who has graciously given us use and the run of his lounge (and sweetened the deal with our Tiki Drink specials and wonderful food). They are delighted we are here and please take the time to let them know how much you are enjoying a place to Tiki with your friends.

Aloha Tiki Thirstdayers!

Just a short heads up about this week's Tiki Thirstday. It really looks like this week's gathering will be our largest, and possibly much bigger than the 39 we had recently - which is wonderful news. Tiki Thirstday is an evening best enjoyed shared.

For those who have any kind of preference in where you sit, I recommend arriving earlier than usual. Though we will arrange for some extra seats in the bar/lounge area, it won't push the normal 29 seats much past about 36. Especially if you like sit at the bar, those 10 spaces fill up quick.

While the lounge tables can squeeze in extras for those who are doing cocktails and appetizers, they can get tight when more than 4 people are having main course dinners. If you think your party or group of friends you may be bringing will be five or more, you'll probably want to get a table in the dining room. If you hope to have a larger table of friends (8 to 12+), you might want to call Miss Ling at the restaurant. There are only 2 tables in the dining room that handle the much larger numbers and you'd want to make sure one of those are reserved for you. The number at HoFL is 301-656-3427, again ask for Ling. (If you do request a table in the dining room, be sure to mention that you are coming for Tiki Thirstday)

As a special incentive to arrive early, a special "one night only" Mai Tai is being specially made and will be served starting at 6 pm. Because some of the ingredients are difficult to obtain and cannot be regularly stocked, those wishing to try this "limited edition" Mai Tai Royale will definitely want to come early because when it runs out, that's it. I know that this will be my drink for the evening (as long as it lasts) – I'm betting that you'll enjoy it that much too.

Normally RSVPs are not requested, but if you are planning to attend, please help out the cause and email me that you are coming and how many. If we have a good sense of numbers going into Wednesday it could give the restaurant a chance to bring in some extra waitstaff (if warranted) and could help the evening go that much smoother.

Look for some more details about some extras we've planned later this week in the regular invite email.

If you have any questions, please email me or feel free to call/text.

Aloha and Mahalo,
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-07-21 08:56 ]

Beginning to think this week's gathering should be called Tiki Tsunami Thirstday - our RSVPs are nearly 60 for tonight!

Though this is a crazy big number for us, and we're going to spill out into the dining room, there's still room for more and we'd love to have you drop in.

J

Allright, I think I may be able to make it tonight.

Let me confer with Mrs. Lord.

[[[((8-0))]]] Recap of Tiki Thirstday XIX, July 24 [[[((8-0))]]]
Don't know where to start with this update... Amazing would not even begin to describe to huge turnout we had this last Tiki Thirstday. The official count stopped at 78 people! Unofficially the number tippled past 82 with several late night stragglers who swung by late just to see if we were still there. Part of it was no doubt the three birthdays we we celebrating - including Chef Fu's, and though there were a decent number of first timers, most of it was from the large number of Ohana that we have collected up over these last 19 weeks. A very special Aloha to those who came down from Baltimore to specially celebrate Lauren's birthday.

Chef Fu made special arrangements to have extra help in the kitchen, so he was able to spend much more time out in the restaurant with our Tiki Thirstdayers! He looked great in his Tiki shirt and later in the evening he was rocking in a special custom embroidered chef's apron presented to him by a group of his friends and regulars.

Thanks to some folks with cameras we have some photos to share this week.

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-07-28 10:31 ]

DC

[[[((8-0))]]] Recap of Tiki Thirstday XX, July 31 [[[((8-0))]]]
Hale and Hearty Mahalos to the sixteen Merry Souls who kept the Tiki Thirstday torches lit last week. After July 31st's sky high numbers (over eighty!), any number was going to seem small by comparison. This night's gathering proved that a fun Tiki night out doesn't depend on how many, but how much Aloha Spirit is on hand.

Thanks to better limes finally hitting the local market, the Mai Tai '44s that night would have put a smile on ol' Vic himself. We had several people who had found us only the week before make a return visit and our door prize winner that night was one of our newest visitors. Congratulations Michael.

Aloha!,
Dr. Coruba

[[[((8-0))]]] Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXI, August 7 [[[((8-0))]]]
Half way through the summer and our Tiki Thirstday gatherings are still rolling along. Last Thirstday we had a full house of 33 Merry Souls enjoying the cool sounds of Exotica, the icy cold Tiki drinks, and warmth of good company. Last week's highlights included a birthday celebrated (Rupe!) in song and rum, and a special gift of a Tiki was presented to Chef Fu by our group as a thank you for all the wonderful hospitality.

Congratulations to Big John, the lucky winner of this week's $20 Tiki Thirstday certificate!

Aloha!,
Dr. Coruba

Sneak Peek of Tiki Thirstday XXII on August 14
Our $5 Tiki Drink Specials will be: Mai Tai '44 • Zombie • Dark and Stormy

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-08-13 13:45 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-08-13 13:45 ]

[[[((8-0))]]] Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXII, August 14 [[[((8-0))]]]
Visitors from Florida, fresh faces from DC, and a room full of Aloha finery made our Tiki Thirstday XXII a wonderful evening. All together we had 27 Merry Souls over the course of the evening. Special note to those who are worried that if they arrive later in the evening you'll miss out on the fun: lately we've had a nice core of regulars who stop in well after nine, and some after 10, so don't worry about the hour, come on over the water's still fine for some great drinks, great food, and great company.

Special Mahalos to Will Pearce who very ably pinch-mixed for Miss Ling (she was away for her daughter's wedding), and to Chef Fu who has been finding extra time to spend with us at the bar and in the lounge - he cuts a sharp figure when he's wearing his Tiki shirt.

A look ahead: September 4 we will be celebrating Amy's birthday during Tiki Thirstday XXV. Please jigger your schedules and mark your calendars!

(If you have an upcoming birthday you'd like to celebrate on an upcoming Tiki Thirstday, please let me know!)

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

[[[((8-0))]]] Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXIII, August 21 [[[((8-0))]]]

Keeping the Torches Burning Mahalos
to the 24 Merry Souls who kept the lounge festive last week. One of the great things about Tiki people is the social alchemy that happens when two or more gather. It is an instant party, just add Aloha, lime, rum, ice and a few mixers.

Next Week
We're always delighted to have ohana share their birthdays with us on Tiki Thirstday, and next week Amy E. will be celebrating another trip round the sun with us. Please join us in making September 4th's Tiki Thirstday that much more festive and fun.

When is your Birthday?
Send me your birthday date and we will raise a toast to you on the Tiki Thirstday closest to the actual date of your birthday. If your birthday actually falls ON one of our Tiki Thirstdays AND you let me know well ahead of time, there may be something extra special in store for you.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-08-28 14:12 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-09-03 07:16 ]

DC

[[[((8-0))]]] Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXIV, August 28 [[[((8-0))]]]

Lost count after 31 Merry Souls, so I'll just say we had a boat load of Ohana at our most recent Tiki Thirstday. Our castaways, as usual, included our ever-ready band of regulars, and a wonderful smattering of new faces.

Birthday Mahalos and a very rum infused off-key rendition of Happy Birthday was offered up to our very own TikiGAP.

Speaking of TikiGAP, big Making-The-Place-More-Tiki Mahalos to Greg for the handsome Tiki he carved and donated to the House of Foong Lin. It now graces the bar and adds to the festive atmosphere.

Congratulations to: Bill E. is the lucky duck who won last week's door prize - a $20 Tiki Thirstday certificate!

THIS WEEK
Amy E. and her family will be celebrating her birthday with us. Please join us in making September 4th's Tiki Thirstday that much more festive and fun.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-09-03 07:29 ]

Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXV • Sept 4

Thanks in part to an Ohana birthday, we had another great turnout. The 42+ Merry Souls made last week the second biggest Thirstday after the Big Birthday Bash at the end of July.

Last week we finally fired up the new video system. Mahalos to David V. for his generous donation of a BluRay player, Peter Y's donation of a great scenic high definition Hawaii disc, and some additional equipment from Jeff - we are now playing Tiki themed video on the 60" HDTV over the bar. Along with the new thatching, mid-century mod lighting, the two recently donated bar Tikis, the Exotica over the sound system, and most of all, our regulars who fill the Lounge each week with our Aloha shirts and dresses, our Tiki Thirstdays are getting a wonderful boost of Aloha Spirit.

Mahalo nui loa na ho'olaule'a me la kaua to Amy E. and the many ohana who made special appearances for her birthday.

Congratulations to: Julie P., the lucky duck who won last week's door prize - a $20 Tiki Thirstday certificate!

This week marks the six month anniversary of our Tiki Thirstday nights!
As summer gives way to fall, we look to continue this wonderful streak. No matter how wonderful the food and drink may be, these gatherings are made truly special by the spirit of Ohana and Aloha that you bring. Endless Mahalos to all of you who make this a regular part of your week and month.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXVI • Sept 11

to the more than 2 dozen Merry Souls who came out for last week's Tiki Thirstday. Highlights of the evening were the 7 new people who had heard about our gathering from the posters and the internet pages.

As always we give special Mahalos to Chef Fu and Miss Ling who really roll out the red carpet for our Tiki Thirstday every week.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-09-20 06:48 ]

Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXVII • Sept 18

Our weekly slice of Island Time keeps rolling along. Last Thirstday we were just shy of 30 Merry Souls and had a wonderful time. As our group has grown, we now seem to have a birthday to celebrate almost every Tiki Thirstday(Happy Birthday Jerry), and we now often have special guests in friends who do not live close by, but do make it a point to make it when they are in town. Returning Alohas and Mahalos to our Tiki visitors from Ohio and South Carolina!

As always we give special Mahalos to Chef Fu and Miss Ling who really roll out the red carpet for our Tiki Thirstday every week.

(photo from Tiki Thirstday XXV)

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

T

I'll be there tonight! It's a blast! Thanks Jeff!

DC

Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXVIII • Sept 25

As the temperatures dip and sunsets are getting earlier and earlier, our torches burn brightly and the rum keeps us warm. Keeping the Torches Burning Mahalos to the more than 3 dozen Merry souls whose company made the evening as special as it was fun.

Mahalo to Donald for helping to journal our evening and providing some great snaps.

Mahalo to Scott and his Aloha Spirit in sharing with us some wonderful aged sipping rum (Don Q Gran Añejo)
Mahalos and conratulations to MoaiMiki and Valerie who visited along with their new baby girl and their parents visiting from the midwest. Mahalo nui loa na ho'olaule'a me la kaua to Valerie's mom who had a fantastic time sharing her birthday and her new granddaughter with us!

SAVE THE DATE!!! ANNOUNCEMENT SOON
Plans are underway for our big December 4 party!
Cocktails, Special Buffet, and Live Exotica Music

Aloha!
See You Next Tiki Thirstday - October 2

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-10-01 08:33 ]

DC

Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXIX • October 2

The temperature may be cooling, but our numbers are not. Keep the Torches Burning Mahalos to the more than 3 dozen who kept our Weekly Tiki Night Out a great night. Some time later this month we will have our 1000th attendee - exactly who that's is going to be we may never know, but it does show that Tiki people know how to bring it - Endless Mahalos to all of you and the warm Aloha Spirit you inspire each and every week.

This Week's Lucky Winnah: Jessica D. who is one of our repeat winners. (All door prize entries stay in the pool - the more often you attend, the better your chances!)

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-10-16 07:29 ]

Preview of October 16th Tiki Thirstday...
In addition to all the fun we have whenever a bunch of Tiki people gather (and rum is involved) tonight's Tiki Thirstday will have some special Mystery Guests! Don't want to spoil the surprise, so a hint will have to do.

If you are a fan, be sure to bring a camera to take pictures with them.

Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXX • October 9th
Keeping the Torches Burning Mahalos to the double baker's dozen that gathered for our weekly evening of Island Time. A great mix of new people added to our Ohana and our regulars who keep it all afloat.

A special Aloha to our friend "EJ" who heads back to Europe after spending the last 3 Thirstdays with us during his vacation. Hope we see you again next year!

Mahalo to David V. who was himself a guest a few weeks ago and returned this week with several more friends to share the Aloha and Mai Tai '44s.

Late night Mahalos to Nora and Michael, back from Tiki Pop in Paris. Always a treat to have them with us and they make the "late shift" at Tiki Thirstday something special.

And as always, Endless Mahalos, to Chef Fu and Miss Ling who make our visits to House of Foong Lin the best Tiki spot in all of DC.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-10-16 10:04 ]

Recap of Tiki Thirstday XXXI • Oct 16

Things heat up quickly when you fill a lounge with a bunch of Tiki people, a bevy of beautiful Roller-derby women, and add copious amounts of rum drinks, flaming Pu-Pu platters, and Exotica. Nearly 50 people "rolled" through on this amazing mash up of Tiki and Roller-derby. Not a bar stool, seat, or skate to spare for this SRO Tiki Thirstday. Thanks to the invitation of Kai Ahi, a denizen here in our Port of the Initiate, we had 20 members of the DC Rollergirls (http://www.dcrollergirls.com) partying with us. A grand time was had by all. It is not every day (or Thirstday) you get to share Volcanos with the likes of: (actual team member names!) Beaver Receiver, Kitty St. Maims, Priss N Vinegar, Stabigail Adams, Kung Pow Kitten, Bruisehilda, Psycho, Shredder, Yankee Scandal, Vicious von Doom, Frightmare, Nasti Pelosi, Deadly Lamar, Whips 'n' Pains, Hanky Spanky? These women may be a terror on the track, but they do know how to let down their hair and party!

The always wonderful and lovely Miss Vickie celebrated her birthday with us and was rewarded by the best sounding (and loudest) rendition of Happy Birthday evah! Her amazing luck also included winning the night's door prize, a $20 Tiki Thirstday certificate.

Amazing Guest Mahalos to Peter (Kai Ahi) for inviting and leading these women to our Tiki Thirstday.

Miss Ling and Chef Fu (who could not believe how many women he had at his bar all at once!) did a fantastic job of keeping the drinks flowing and the tables well stocked with treats of the Far East. Perpetual Mahalos!

Recording the Evidence Mahalos to Donald T. for breaking away from the ladies to take a few snaps.

Milestone Dead Ahead!
Though we may not know the exact person, but some time in the next two weeks, Tiki Thirstday will have its 1000th guest since starting on March 20th this year. Mahalos to the many who make this a special and regular part of their week (or month). Together we have taken what had become a Tiki desert and carved out a welcoming place. A place where no matter what else is going on during the rest of the week, people who enjoy Tiki and an evening of Island Time can gather, enjoy a "vacation" in a glass, enjoy Exotica, relax, and let the world go by.

Aloha!
Jeff "Dr. Coruba" Westlake

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-11-06 06:00 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-02-22 08:31 ]

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XXXII • October 23
A recap of last week's gathering. For details about the next Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

To the 21 Merry Souls who ventured out to Tiki with us last week. One of the great things about Tiki people, two or more of them gathering together makes a party!
Late Shift Mahalos to those who may have arrived later in the evening, but had plenty of Aloha to share. (trust us, it is never too late to swing by on a Thirstday!)

Red Carpet Mahalos
as always to Miss Ling who mixes up a storm for us on Tiki Thirstday, and Chef Fu who culinary creativity keeps us coming back for more each week.

DC

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XXXIII • October 30
A recap of last week's gathering. For details about the next Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

The nights may be growing longer, but that just means our torches burn brighter. Mahalos to the nearly 3 dozen Aloha spirited Ohana who made in for a night of great drinks, great food, and great company.

Red Carpet Mahalos
as always to Miss Ling who mixes up a storm for us on Tiki Thirstday, and Chef Fu who culinary creativity keeps us coming back for more each week.

And the Lucky Winnah is...
Will P. who scored last week's $20 Certificate.

A recap of last week's gathering.
For the time and date of the next Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XXXIV • November 6

to the 29 Merry Souls who shared their Aloha Spirit with us. Nothing take the chill off a blustery fall night like a fireplace, Mai Tais and Martin Denny.

Red Carpet Mahalos

Manny T. who scored last week's $20 Certificate.

For the time and date of the next Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XXXV • November 13

to the nearly two dozen who have found the joys of enjoying their Mai Tais in front of the fireplace at House of Foong Lin

Mixing It Up Mahalos
as always to Miss Ling who makes our drinks fresh and frothy, and Chef Fu who culinary creativity keeps us coming back for more each week.

Last week's winner will be drawn on November 20

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XXXVI • November 20

to the over 50 Merry Souls who came out for our weekly Tiki night out.

Birthday Bash Mahalos
to one of our most delightful Thirstdayers who brings so much Aloha spirit to our occasions, Sherill. Hau`oli la Hanau!

Mixing It Up Mahalos
as always to Miss Ling who makes our drinks fresh and frothy, and Chef Fu who culinary creativity keeps us coming back for more each week.

And the Lucky Winnahs are...
Chris N., Lisa V., and Will

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-12-11 08:12 ]

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XXXVIII • December 11

to the regulars who made it despite the traffic of Christmas shoppers and the many absent friends who were down with the flu. We managed to fill the bar anyway and share some good cheer.

Mixing It Up Mahalos

Done miss the last Tiki Thirstday of 2014 next Thursday, December 18th. Aloha!

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XXXVIIII • December 18

End of the Year Mahalos
to the dozen and a half regulars who were there when we started, and managed to make it one more time to close out 2015.

Mixing It Up Mahalos

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XL • January 8

Happy New Year Mahalos
Endless Mahalos to the many Merry Souls who dropped in and made Thursdays a Tiki night out with us in 2014. It has been so much fun, we're going to keep on going in 2015.

No Amount of Mahalos are Enough
for Chef Fu who encourages our Island Madness, and Miss Ling who always delights us with her drinks and somehow manages to keep up with a lounge full of thirsty Tiki people.

Next Tiki Thirstday - January 15

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XLI • January 15

Green Leafy Mahalos
to Greg P., who donated several great large plants for the lounge. Looks like Arte Johnson could step out of them any minute.

Dipping Thermometer Mahalos
to our Regulars, who do not let chilly weather deter them from donning an Aloha shirt and ordering icy cold Mai Tais.

for Chef Fu who encourages our Island Madness, and Miss Ling who always delights us with her drinks and somehow manages to keep up with a lounge full of thirsty Tiki people.

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XLII • January 22

And the Winnah is... Cliff who won the Tiki Thirstday certificate door prize

South Seas Adventure Mahalos
to Kai Ahe (Peter) who shared with us the fantastic Blu-Ray "South Seas Adventure" a 1958 Cinerama travelog.

to the nearly 2 dozen folks who traded their tiki torches for a seat by the fireplace and a spot to rest their Mai Tais on.

Aloha, see you January 29

DC

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XLIII • January 29

South Seas Adventure Mahalos
to Kai Ahe (Peter) who shared with us the fantastic Blu-Ray "South Seas Adventure" a 1958 Cinerama travelog.
(This is worth a repeat, because it is so good we watched it again!)

Sweet 16 Mahalos
to those Merry Souls whose Aloha Spirits are not daunted by the falling mercury! You keep the snow off the torches and burning bright.

Please Note: Chinese New Year falls on a Thursday (February 19) this year. House of Foong Lin will be open, but there will not be a Tiki Thirstday hosted there that night.

If anyone would like to propose an alternative gathering place in the DC/MD/VA area for February 19th, please contact me.

DC

Some people have asked recently, what's this all about, is this just a restaurant posting on our boards?

Tiki Thirstday is social meet up currently gathering at House of Foong Lin in Bethesda, Maryland near the Maryland/DC line. As mentioned in the early posts here, our area has lost all of its once great Tiki bars long ago. While there are some Craft Cocktail places that on and off have some incredible takes on the exotic cocktails of yesteryear, none of embrace Tiki beyond that. If you go to those places, chances are good you won't find any Aloha shirts (some rolled eyes if you are wearing one), zero decor, and not a note of Exotica playing anywhere.

HoFL is not yet a full blown Tiki bar, but they have been upping the Tiki Factor. On any given "Thirstday" night, you'll find others in Aloha shirts and dress, a thatched bar, Exotica playing all night, relaxing beach vids playing on the screen - and worthy drinks which range from pretty good old school Chinese restaurant style Tiki drinks, to great versions of Tiki classics like the Mai Tai '44 which would make a Trader Vic's regular happy and feel right at home. The food is some of the very best Chinese in the area.

Tiki Thirstday is not something owned by or run by the restaurant, nor do we represent the restaurant. Our posts here are not some sneaky way that the restaurant is using the boards for advertising. Nor is Tiki Thirstday a club or membership thing. It's a great core of regulars who do come almost every week plus others who come once or twice a month. It is a very loose thing where people come and go as it suits them. It's a Tiki night out and a spot where everyone is Aloha-glad to see you when you can make it, and will miss you when you don't - but everyone knows you'll be back soon enough :wink:

Over time we've built up a local pool of well over 150 that we draw from (our local email list). If you do show on any given Tiki Thirstday night, you can be sure there will be other Tikiphiles to socialize with. Some times it is in the teens, some times it is crazy big. On an average night we'll have twenty something to thirty something drift in and out over the course of the evening. Rarely is it so slamming that there isn't a spot for you at the bar or in the lounge. (Early birds do get the best bar spots!)

The purpose of posting here is to reach out to Tikiphiles in our area and to keep a torch burning to let the larger Tiki community posting here know that there's a fun, weekly Tiki night out and a quality Mai Tai waiting for you if you're ever passing through. Trader Vic's might never move back to DC, but in the meantime, we share this little lagoon of a spot and dream about the islands. Aloha!

(If you're local to us and would like to get on the mailing list, please email us at TikiThirstday(at)gmail(dot)com.)

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-02-05 07:23 ]

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XLIV • February 5

Blu-ray Mahalos
to Peter who keeps finding and donating scenic videos that we play on the big screen. The Hawaiian beaches and waves make a great background to our Tiki night out. Thanks to Peter we have a nice library of tropical vistas.

And the Winnah is... Joe who gets this weeks Tiki Thirstday gift certificate.

Please Note: Chinese New Year falls on a Thursday (February 19) this year. House of Foong Lin will be open, but there will not be a Tiki Thirstday hosted there that night. As an exciting alternative to our usual spot, several of us are heading to the Sunday, February 19 "Three Dots and a Dash" style, one night only pop-up bar at Cafe Saint-Ex in DC.

Details are on a link on our Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TikiThirstday/

Also links (for the non Facebooked)
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2015/01/22/new-cocktail-collaboration-will-recreate-bars-from-other-places-and-times/

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-02-12 05:13 ]

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XLV • February 12

There is a challenge in keeping the Tiki torches lit during the frigid weather, a tip of the cap to those who still came out, even with the threat of snow that night.

Aloha, see you February 26!

Rumor has it we are going to have some extra company on March 5. Details to follow as soon as the numbers "roll" in.

While there wasn't Tiki Thirstday on February 19th due to the Chinese New Year, there were many Tiki Thirstday regulars who dropped in to celebrate and support our favorite Chinese restaurant. Chef Fu and Miss Ling send their special thanks to those who made it. Our thanks to Chef Fu for the round of drinks on the house to celebrate Chinese New Year!

A reminder that there WILL be a Tiki Thirstday on Thursday, February 26.
Bring a favorite Tiki mug or glass and we will have a special toast to one of the Founding Fathers of Tiki - Don the Beachcomber in celebration of his birthday this month.

March 5th – Mark Your Calendars!

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-02-22 09:37 ]

DC

THE MAHALO LIST for Tiki Thirstday XLVI • February 26

Keeping the Torches Buring Mahalos
to the two dozen or so Tikiphiles who added some thermal to their Aloha wear and made House of Foong Lin a toasty oasis of Island Time.

Fun Idea Mahalos
to Sherill for a great suggestion about having a Tiki mug swap night. We're going to give it a first try on March 19th.

A Look Ahead...
March 19th marks the one year anniversary of our first Tiki Thirstday. We started with a dozen friends who, since we have no old school classic Tiki bars around here, wanted a spot to get together and enjoy Tiki drinks and Exotica. Everyone invited a few friends and our first night kick-off drew nearly 40 locals looking for the same thing. That started the ball rolling and we've been meeting up every week, every "Thirstday" (minus a few holidays) ever since.

For some extra fun were doing to do a Tiki Mug Swap. On the 19th, bring a Tiki mug or Tiki glass that you might be interested in swapping. No obligation to mug swap, but by bringing a mug you're at least interested in a swap for someone else's mug. (for a great website about Tiki mugs visit http://www.ooga-mooga.com)

Aloha!

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-03-03 09:39 ]

Due to the 5 to 10 inches of new snow today in the region, we're rescheduling the DC Rollergirls to April 2nd. House of Foong Lin will be open tonight, so those who have snow shoes or snowmobiles are welcome to drop by. Everyone else would be well served to have their Island Time tonight at home.

See you next week, Aloha!

What a difference a week makes! Just last Thursday we were in the middle of getting 10" of snow which ground everything, including Tiki Thirstday, to a halt. By Sunday the temps were well into the 60's. The good news is for DC that should be the last snow we see until next winter.

Tonight we're back to Island Time...

A Look Ahead...
March 19th marks the one year anniversary of our first Tiki Thirstday. We started with a dozen friends who, since we have no old school classic Tiki bars around here, wanted a spot to get together and enjoy Tiki drinks and Exotica. Everyone invited a few friends and our first night kick-off drew nearly 40 locals looking for the same thing. That started the ball rolling and we've been meeting up every week, every "Thirstday" (minus a few holidays) ever since.

For some extra fun were doing to do a Tiki Mug Swap. On the 19th, bring a Tiki mug or Tiki glass that you might be interested in swapping. No obligation to mug swap, but by bringing a mug you're at least interested in a swap for someone else's mug. (for a great website about Tiki mugs visit http://www.ooga-mooga.com)

Aloha!

Tiki Thirstday XLVIII
As the temperatures start moving up, so do our numbers. Last week's thaw gave us a boost with a full bar and lounge. Soon the fire in the fireplace will be replaced by the flames of the Pu Pu Platers and Volcano Bowls - a Tiki night needs a little flame to keep things going.

And The Weekly Drawing Winnahs Are... (we had some catching up to do)
Tiki Thirstday Certificates to: Danial O., Julie P., and Mike D.

Mixing & Cooking Mahalos

A Look Ahead...
Don't miss the Anniversary Gathering on March 19. In addition to celebrating our 1st Anniversary, we'll be having our first Tiki Mug Swap. Bring a Tiki Mug or Tiki Glass to trade.

Also Coming Soon...

Aloha!

Tiki Thirstday XLIX - March 19
Our first anniversary and first Tiki Mug Swap had a very decent showing on both counts - almost 3 dozen tikiphiles and about a dozen and a half tiki mugs on display. (I managed to trade for a very nice cobalt-blue Hale Tiki mug I'd been eyeing all night)

And The Weekly Drawing Winnah Is
John W.

A Year Worth of Mahalos
to Miss Ling and Chef Fu who have made our weekly pilgrimages so much fun.

DON'T MISS...

Aloha!

Pages: 1 2 3 110 replies