Pages: 1 2 50 replies

Hi all,

I'm looking at Jeff's simplified Zombie recipe:

.75 oz lime juice
1 oz white grapefruit juice
.5 oz cinnamon syrup (see note)
.5 oz amber 151-proof rum
1 oz dark Jamaican rum

I'm wondering what we can do to simplify it further. The obvious thing is drop the 151 and just use 2 ounces of a Jamaican or Demerara rum. That cuts a Zombie down to 4 ingredients and still has quite a taste. I don't see where we could make it any more simple than that. Any thoughts?

Why?

On 2015-01-02 22:26, happy buddha wrote:
Why?

Haha, well why do we change one ingredient and then give a cocktail a new name? Why have we came up with a hundred different ways to drink rum and fruit juice? Kidding aside, ..

I just love the simplicity of drinks like the daiquiri and the hurricane. Three ingredients. I was curious about making something that resembles the Zombie with three ingredients as well. Just for fun.

On 2015-01-02 22:26, happy buddha wrote:
Why?

And besides, this simplified Zombie is really just Don's Donga Punch.

Confucius say, "Those who take short cut thru life, miss out on all the cool stuff"
Kurt Vonnegut said, “If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.”
ATP says, "Do it right or go the fuck home"
ATP also says, "Half assing it, Still makes you a full ass"

A

Drinks that could be considered 'tiki' (like the Donga Punch / Coconaut / Hurricane ~ 3 or 4 ingredients) are relatively few & far between.

A regular Planters Punch tweaked to your preferred sweetness is nice & easy going (5 ingredients if you include bitters & soda as ingredients). The 151 Swizzle can pack a kick & complexity for 5 ingredients (the Mai Kai version is good too).

There is a Beachbum Berry recipe that is LH151, lime & honey - can anyone help out with that & what it is called?

The Simplified Zombie is 5 ingredients (lime, grapefruit, cinnamon, 2 rums) which to my mind is most too simplified, IMO it lacked something 'Zombie like' so I add bitters & Pernod when I make it.

Having said that, if you can make a more simplified version work let us know!

I think the thing with making Zombies (& tiki in general) is that you are trying master mixing lots of ingredients together - that you can 'pull it off' cohesively is something to be pleased with yourself for.

TT

I am the last person to criticize The Bum for trying to come up with another good cocktail. But, part of the allure and taste of the Zombie is its complex nature. While there are 3 or 4 legitimate recipes for it - they all have layers of ingredients that give them a unique taste. I understand that (outside of the tiki world) most people haven't even heard of Falernum or Don's mix #2. So if this "Zombie Light" version gets some people interested in old school tiki drinks then I guess it can be good.

A

The Bum's simplified Zombie was created in response to the fact that (even then) Lemon Hart 151 was difficult to obtain. This was an attempt to mimick the flavor profile of the '34 Zombie. But my argument against it is that 1 1/2 oz of rum goes against the very nature of the Zombie. It needs to be 3 oz or more to really turn you into the living dead. If making the Bum's simplified version, I'd make it a double.

[ Edited by: arriano 2015-01-06 16:41 ]

On 2015-01-06 15:31, Tonga Tiki wrote:
I am the last person to criticize The Bum for trying to come up with another good cocktail. But, part of the allure and taste of the Zombie is its complex nature. While there are 3 or 4 legitimate recipes for it - they all have layers of ingredients that give them a unique taste. I understand that (outside of the tiki world) most people haven't even heard of Falernum or Don's mix #2. So if this "Zombie Light" version gets some people interested in old school tiki drinks then I guess it can be good.

I've made both. He aku aku zombie is by far my favorite.

TT

I agree.. even after only drinking one Zombies should "leave a mark".

[ Edited by: Tonga Tiki 2015-01-07 08:49 ]

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jan 7, 2015 9:06 AM

Mr. Purist would say: DtB revolutionized mixology by making drinks with 10 or more ingredients and balancing them well. When he started business, cocktails were mostly 2 or 3 ingredients and mostly just straight booze with a little flavoring added. If we take a complex masterpiece like the Zombie and try to make it a simple drink, we defeat the purpose of the genre itself.

Make whatever cocktail you want, but don't drag the classic into the mud by calling your drink by it's name. How about some Beethoven simplified? Maybe some Picasso simplified?

What's the issue? Go to Hawaii (or your typical local bar) and ask for a Mai Tai. Or hell, ask for a Zombie.

Full frontal concurment to what Swanky said!

K

On 2015-01-07 09:06, Swanky wrote:
What's the issue? Go to Hawaii (or your typical local bar) and ask for a Mai Tai. Or hell, ask for a Zombie.

Mr. Purist would say: DtB revolutionized mixology by making drinks with 10 or more ingredients and balancing them well. When he started business, cocktails were mostly 2 or 3 ingredients and mostly just straight booze with a little flavoring added. If we take a complex masterpiece like the Zombie and try to make it a simple drink, we defeat the purpose of the genre itself.

Make whatever cocktail you want, but don't drag the classic into the mud by calling your drink by it's name. How about some Beethoven simplified? Maybe some Picasso simplified?

Oh my god, some of these replies are hilarious. The original post is merely asking how you can take a simple drink formula and make it a little more simple and still have a tasty drink. No one is saying it will still be a zombie or anything, and, no offense, but the zombie isn't some mythical drink that deserves to be put up on a pedestal. It's just a nice combination of flavors. To remotely compare it to Beethoven or Picasso is just ridiculous.

S

On 2015-01-07 11:29, rockydog101 wrote:

Oh my god, some of these replies are hilarious. The original post is merely asking how you can take a simple drink formula and make it a little more simple and still have a tasty drink. No one is saying it will still be a zombie or anything, and, no offense, but the zombie isn't some mythical drink that deserves to be put up on a pedestal. It's just a nice combination of flavors. To remotely compare it to Beethoven or Picasso is just ridiculous.

Well, let me refer you to the writings of Jeff Beachbum Berry in Sippin Safari on the topic of the Zombie. I believe he has a chapter or two on how that drink started the Tiki era and was a landmark that spread across the country. Long before the Mai Tai existed, the Zombie was the touchstone, the famous cocktail of Tiki. It was ripped off and bastardized even in the 1940s. Unlike Vic's Mai Tai, Don kept that recipe a closely guarded secret and only until a few years ago no one on earth knew how to make it except the Mai-Kai head bartender. From 1989 when the last DtB's closed until 2007 when The Bum published it, it was a ghost. And until maybe the last 5 years, the only place left on the planet to get served the real Zombie was the Mai-Kai. Not sure who serves one today, but probably someone does now that it is a published recipe.

It should be put on a pedestal. It is indeed a mythical drink that Jeff Berry spent over a decade trying to find. And were it not for Jeff digging to find it and publishing it, we'd be drinking Zombies that taste like old socks as we were in the dark ages of the early 2000s.

DtB was to mixology what Beethoven was to music or Picasso to art, a great master. Don was arguable the greatest mixologist of all time, though various researchers are bringing great names to us today who can contend for the title.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2015-01-07 11:49 ]

rockydog101, you very clearly do not know what you are talking about
I offer your first post from just a few months ago as proof.

On 2014-08-20 06:27, rockydog101 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to buff up my rum collection and make a few decent tiki drinks. I'm having a hell of a time understanding rums (dark, light, etc), and I also have a relatively poor selection in my area.

I have the following rums:
Captain
Pusser's
Gosling Black Seal
Malibu
Captain White
Appleton V/X
Flor de Cana

Misc:
Cointreau
Orange curaçao
Blue curaçao
Grenadine
Coconut cream
Orgeat

I really want to make a dang mai tai. Would any combo of the above rums be good? I read Gosling and the Appleton V/X may be nice. But I don't understand the selection. The Appleton looks dark, but it's light? What makes it light and dark? What are some good tiki rums that are accessible to is who live in the backwoods of the south? :)

Thank you all

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-01-07 13:33 ]

On 2015-01-07 11:43, Swanky wrote:

Well, let me refer you to the writings of Jeff Beachbum Berry in Sippin Safari on the topic of the Zombie. I believe he has a chapter or two on how that drink started the Tiki era and was a landmark that spread across the country. Long before the Mai Tai existed, the Zombie was the touchstone, the famous cocktail of Tiki. It was ripped off and bastardized even in the 1940s. Unlike Vic's Mai Tai, Don kept that recipe a closely guarded secret and only until a few years ago no one on earth knew how to make it except the Mai-Kai head bartender. From 1989 when the last DtB's closed until 2007 when The Bum published it, it was a ghost. And until maybe the last 5 years, the only place left on the planet to get served the real Zombie was the Mai-Kai. Not sure who serves one today, but probably someone does now that it is a published recipe.

It should be put on a pedestal. It is indeed a mythical drink that Jeff Berry spent over a decade trying to find. And were it not for Jeff digging to find it and publishing it, we'd be drinking Zombies that taste like old socks as we were in the dark ages of the early 2000s.

DtB was to mixology what Beethoven was to music or Picasso to art, a great master. Don was arguable the greatest mixologist of all time, though various researchers are bringing great names to us today who can contend for the title.

All that work and Jeff Berry serves the Aku Aku Zombie at his bar Latitude 29.. :)

And I think you're completely off base comparing DtB to Beethoven or Picasso. I just find that ridiculous.

On 2015-01-07 12:14, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I offer your first post from just a few months ago to offer as proof.

I kindly request that you identify one factual error that I've made.

T

Happy New Year, Tim!

I share your great respect for the Zombie Cocktail. Maybe here would be a good place to mention Professor Cocktail's book on the topic, "Zombie Horde," as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Professor-Cocktails-Zombie-Horde-Recipes/dp/149435280X

(Note: I correct the following statement later on in a follow-up post.)

I take slight issue with your statement that the recipe for the proper 1934 Zombie was kept secret until Jeff's (re)discovery, although it might as well have been as far as we are concerned. As you know, Jeff found it published in a 1956 issue of Cabaret magazine. So some people must have known about it. As a collector of vintage mens' magazines who happened to have that very issue, I had to kick myself around the block when I found out the recipe had been there all along. :wink:

(Note: I correct the above statement later on in a follow-up post.)

Cheers!

Jack

[ Edited by: tabuzak 2015-01-07 13:34 ]

On 2015-01-07 12:21, tabuzak wrote:
Happy New Year, Tim!

I share your great respect for the Zombie Cocktail. Maybe here would be a good place to mention Professor Cocktail's book on the topic, "Zombie Horde," as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Professor-Cocktails-Zombie-Horde-Recipes/dp/149435280X

I take slight issue with your statement that the recipe for the proper 1934 Zombie was kept secret until Jeff's (re)discovery, although it might as well have been as far as we are concerned. As you know, Jeff found it published in a 1956 issue of Cabaret magazine. So some people must have known about it. As a collector of vintage mens' magazines who happened to have that very issue, I had to kick myself around the block when I found out the recipe had been there all along. :wink:

Cheers!

Jack

Agree, that's the same story I've read too.

T

Ha! I take it back! My memory is faulty once again.

The proper Zombie recipe was a result of Jeff decoding a black book from an ex-Donn the Beachcomber bartender and was indeed a secret until then. Tim is correct.

They are calling the recipe from the 1956 issue of Cabaret magazine, appropriately enough, the 1956 Zombie.

Sorry about that. Glad I got it straight though.

Cheers!

Jack

Gotta love the facts....

On 2015-01-07 12:16, rockydog101 wrote:

On 2015-01-07 12:14, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I offer your first post from just a few months ago to offer as proof.

I kindly request that you identify one factual error that I've made.

Every statement you have made on this thread so far has been
uninformed opinions & while you are entitled to your opinions
you are not entitled to your own facts.

ATP, is it that time of the month again? Perhaps you've having withdrawals...

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-07 15:05 ]

You sound just like Fez Moai, why is that?

On 2015-01-07 15:41, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
You sound just like Fez Moai, why is that?

Maybe you've been drinking too much of that electric blue vodka orange juice :) (KIDDING MAN)

S

On 2015-01-07 12:15, rockydog101 wrote:

DtB was to mixology what Beethoven was to music or Picasso to art, a great master.

And I think you're completely off base comparing DtB to Beethoven or Picasso. I just find that ridiculous.

Try paying attention to what someone says before YOU make ridiculous comments. Swanky was NOT comparing DtB to Beethoven or Picasso. Read that comment again. They were all masters in their respective fields. Mixology. Music. Art. Apples. Oranges. Bananas.

On 2015-01-08 00:36, swizzle wrote:

DtB was to mixology what Beethoven was to music or Picasso to art, a great master.

Try paying attention to what someone says before YOU make ridiculous comments. Swanky was NOT comparing DtB to Beethoven or Picasso. Read that comment again. They were all masters in their respective fields. Mixology. Music. Art. Apples. Oranges. Bananas.

I paid attention :) I understand you have to jump on the bandwagon to attack the low post count guy who isn't worshiping DtB, but I still completely disagree. Don made some great drinks. But to compare his skill as a "mixologist" to a virtuoso like Beethoven's skill in composing music is just laughable. And how would you compare his skill as a Chinese food chef? Was he the Shakespeare of beef skewers? The Motzart of pupu platters?

Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of DtBs books (I laughed when his "little book" was four inches tall!) and I appreciate his drinks. I just wouldn't call him a master of his field to the same extreme as classical composers. Also, remember this whole discussion is because someone is upset that people simplified a zombie drink. Haha! Excuse us if we can make a tastier drink in half the time!

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-08 05:34 ]

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2015 6:57 AM

On 2015-01-08 05:15, rockydog101 wrote:

On 2015-01-08 00:36, swizzle wrote:

I paid attention :) I understand you have to jump on the bandwagon to attack the low post count guy who isn't worshiping DtB, but I still completely disagree. Don made some great drinks. But to compare his skill as a "mixologist" to a virtuoso like Beethoven's skill in composing music is just laughable. And how would you compare his skill as a Chinese food chef? Was he the Shakespeare of beef skewers? The Motzart of pupu platters?

Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of DtBs books (I laughed when his "little book" was four inches tall!) and I appreciate his drinks. I just wouldn't call him a master of his field to the same extreme as classical composers. Also, remember this whole discussion is because someone is upset that people simplified a zombie drink. Haha! Excuse us if we can make a tastier drink in half the time!

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-08 05:34 ]

I obviously do not agree.

It is easy to take things for granted today that are not a given in various fields. We can suppose that if Elvis had not blown the doors off of Rock and Roll someone else would have and we'd be listening to things as we are, but that's hubris. Elvis revolutionized rock and roll. Perhaps by your accounting he was no master either to be compared to Picasso. Or perhaps a genre of art like rock and roll can never be compared to painting or classical music. By that standard then no mixologist would ever compare to Picasso. If that is your viewpoint, then it is pretty narrow and we have nothing to discuss.

I'll assume you then know Don's history, and the history of cocktails in general and what a cocktail meant in 1933 in particular. If you think that a Zombie Punch and a Rum Barrel and a Q.B. Cooler are nothing much to crow about in the context and that it was not any sort of feat to produce those cocktails that people like Martin Cate and Jeff Berry are still emulating today and making international lists of the best bars in the world, then we also have nothing to discuss. That would mean you are thick headed.

If not for the revolution in cocktails created by Donn Beach in 1933, most notably heralded by the Zombie Punch, there would not have been a Trader Vic in 1937. There would not have been a Mai-Kai in 1956. There would not have been a Book of Tiki and most every location that is represented in it. There would not be a Tiki Central.

Now explain to me again how Don's work is not comparable to the great masters and how the Zombie should not be put on a pedestal...

On 2015-01-08 06:57, Swanky wrote:
If not for the revolution in cocktails created by Donn Beach in 1933, most notably heralded by the Zombie Punch, there would not have been a Trader Vic in 1937. There would not have been a Mai-Kai in 1956. There would not have been a Book of Tiki and most every location that is represented in it. There would not be a Tiki Central.

Now explain to me again how Don's work is not comparable to the great masters and how the Zombie should not be put on a pedestal...

I'm sorry, but I think you're putting way to much emphasis on things that few people truly care about. It's great that you love tiki drinks so much, and that you have so much respect for DtB, and a restaurant in Florida, but just because you feel this way doesn't mean everyone else has to feel this way. I think it's a little ridiculous for you to call me thick headed because I in no way agree with your exaltation of DtB. Realize that you're insulting a human being because they don't agree that DtB was a virtuoso genius worthy of the praise you're giving him, merely for mixing drinks. Imagine if I called you names because you contemplated the non-existence of a restaurant in Florida and an internet forum.

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-08 08:28 ]

Hey guys & gals, don't waste your time or breath on rockydog101
he is clearly trolling Tiki Central, all you have to do is read
thru his posts from when he joined up a few months ago to see it.

Not even counting his multi-thread tirade, yesterday.

From his first post purporting to be a complete neophyte to Tiki Cocktails
to multiple questions on the most basic ingredients, then a sudden 180 degree
turn to having read all the Jeff Berry & Don the Beachcomber books
and claiming to regularly make complicated cocktails & comparing them
to iconic Tiki establishments versions.

Yet he has shown absolutely no interest in Tiki culture or the Tiki revival
Making it glaringly obvious his complete disregard for the history & tradition
that drives our interests & the whole point of Tiki Central in the first place
(This is not Tiki Cocktail Central!) it is much more, then that.

This is made very clear in his last post in this very thread:

On 2015-01-08 08:13, rockydog101 wrote:

I'm sorry, but I think you're putting way to much emphasis on things that few people truly care about. It's great that you love tiki drinks so much, and that you have so much respect for DtB, and a restaurant in Florida, but just because you feel this way doesn't mean everyone else has to feel this way.

I suspect he is another TC member using an alias just to fuck with us
but at the very least a wannabe hipster mixologist type, trying to be special
who gives fuck all about our Tiki culture.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-01-08 08:45 ]

^ That's right. I hate everything tiki just because I don't think DtB was a master mixologist in the same vain that Beethoven was a master composer. Let's call DtB equivalent to Steven Tyler for what he contributed and be done with it and move on.

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-08 09:04 ]

H

On 2015-01-08 08:57, rockydog101 wrote:
... I don't think DtB was a master mixologist in the same vain that Beethoven was a master composer.

So who exactly in your mind was a more influential mixologist than DtB?

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2015 9:54 AM

On 2015-01-08 08:13, rockydog101 wrote:

On 2015-01-08 06:57, Swanky wrote:

I'm sorry, but I think you're putting way to much emphasis on things that few people truly care about. It's great that you love tiki drinks so much, and that you have so much respect for DtB, and a restaurant in Florida, but just because you feel this way doesn't mean everyone else has to feel this way. I think it's a little ridiculous for you to call me thick headed because I in no way agree with your exaltation of DtB. Realize that you're insulting a human being because they don't agree that DtB was a virtuoso genius worthy of the praise you're giving him, merely for mixing drinks. Imagine if I called you names because you contemplated the non-existence of a restaurant in Florida and an internet forum.

Why the hell are you here then on Tiki Central? Why did Sven write the Book of Tiki, Tiki Modern and Tiki Pop? Why was there a major museum exhibit on Tiki Pop culture? Why did Jeff Berry write his books? Apparently they are putting way too much emphasis on things that few people truly care about. Why did Martin Cate and Paul McGee just announce a new Tiki bar in Chicago that will likely have a drink menu full of DtB recipes? Why did you just freaking post on Tiki Central about a Don the Beachcomber drink recipe?

Either you are trolling or an idiot. Which is it?

(For the record, before he deleted it, he said he thought DtB was to mixology what Stevie Ray Vaughan was to music. A white guy who got somewhat popular playing like a black guy did 20 years before.)

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2015-01-08 09:58 ]

Everyone knows that Don the Beachcomber was to mixology what "Joe Strummer" was to rock music!

K

Hey, let's not drag SRV into this! For what its worth, however you want to phrase it:

1. Donn Beach was instrumental in kicking off Tiki in every sense (decor, cocktails, cuisine, etc)
  2. It's probably not worth it to your tastebuds to try to simplify the Simplified Zombie

/end topic

On 2015-01-08 11:23, kkocka wrote:
Hey, let's not drag SRV into this! For what its worth, however you want to phrase it:

1. Donn Beach was instrumental in kicking off Tiki in every sense (decor, cocktails, cuisine, etc)
  2. It's probably not worth it to your tastebuds to try to simplify the Simplified Zombie

/end topic

I agree with both of your points. I'm just saying it's ridiculous to compare his skill as a mixologist to Beethovens as a composer.

Also, I never mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn, I couldn't name a single song of his and his name basically isn't in my lexicon because I just don't know his music at all. Whomever thought I wrote that had one too many zombies (and I'm not sure why a race thing was brought up with regards to his name - but I could care less - probably someone trolling for some other reason to start a fight.)

JenTiki - I don't have to worship DtB or put him up on a pedestal or pretend like he is a virtuoso genius in order to appreciate his drinks and contributions he made, or his revival of tiki culture, or for myself to appreciate good drinks. It doesn't have to be all of one way or the other.

J

On 2015-01-08 11:48, rockydog101 wrote:

On 2015-01-08 11:23, kkocka wrote:

/end topic

I agree with both of your points. I'm just saying it's ridiculous to compare his skill as a mixologist to Beethovens as a composer.

Also, I never mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn, I couldn't name a single song of his and his name basically isn't in my lexicon because I just don't know his music at all. Whomever thought I wrote that had one too many zombies (and I'm not sure why a race thing was brought up with regards to his name - but I could care less - probably someone trolling for some other reason to start a fight.)

JenTiki - I don't have to worship DtB or put him up on a pedestal or pretend like he is a virtuoso genius in order to appreciate his drinks and contributions he made, or his revival of tiki culture, or for myself to appreciate good drinks. It doesn't have to be all of one way or the other.

How did I get dragged into this?!?! I haven't even posted on this thread until just now! Seems maybe you've had too many zombies, rockydog101!

You're right. My bad. I meant swanky. Sorry.

On 2015-01-08 10:09, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Everyone knows that Don the Beachcomber was to mixology what "Joe Strummer" was to rock music!

I was going to joke and say Britney Spears but I didn't want to give you a heart attack.

H

So let me ask again...

... I don't think DtB was a master mixologist in the same vain that Beethoven was a master composer.

On 2015-01-08 12:08, Hakalugi wrote:
So let me ask again...

I ignored your question because it's an irrelevant nonsense question. Does the amount of influence someone has determine their skill level on a spectrum? I would say no. Many celebrities are influential and are morons. Would you consider Paris Hilton to be the Beethoven of celebrity because thousands of women bought chihuahuas to carry around in their purses? It's ridiculous.

That is the stupidest thing, said on the internet today.

On 2015-01-08 12:26, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
That is the stupidest thing, said on the internet today.

Ask a stupid question ...

S

Haka, please ban this ignorant idiot.

J

I second that emotion.

"Does the amount of influence someone has determine their skill level on a spectrum?"

Simply put, yes. If the spectrum has to do with an actual skill, which mixology clearly is. So much so that people invest their lives and millions of dollars in it. Donn Beach earned his influence many times over, regardless of your semantics.

It seems rockydog is a dude that really, really likes to fight on the internets. I say we stop throwing him bones..

On 2015-01-08 12:42, swizzle wrote:
Haka, please ban this ignorant idiot.

Ban everyone who doesn't worship DtB!!!

Pages: 1 2 50 replies