Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Slippery sellers

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

W

midnite_tiki has a post under "Tiki Mugs" about an eBay seller who claimed to have dropped and broke the mugs midnite won in an auction. Then there was the seller of the Witco jazz carving who contatced the buyer after the auction claiming her husband accidentally sold the carving. Accidents will happen, and maybe that's the case with these two tales...But both of these stories sound like a load of bull. Anyone else know of similar tales?

About a year ago I won a bid on a Tiki mug on ebay. Real bargain.... won it for something like 2.99. Of course, shortly after the auction closed, I get an email from the seller basically saying "oops.... cat knocked it off the counter.... shattered to bits.... sorry"

If these sellers want a certain price, they should either put up a reserve, or put up a higher starting bid.

In the future, I'd ask for proof of the damage, or face getting negative feedback.

:tiki:

Trader Pup

visit Traderpup.com

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2002-07-06 12:58 ]

F

We could also post the name of the seller, too.

M

This seems slippery to me. Right now, someone is auctioning a Shag serigraph (Birdnik's Table)with the bid currently at $135.00. This is not a sold out edition and can be purchased directly from Swithed On Galleries for $100.00.

K

That's just capitalism at its finest! More power to him/her

M

Buyer Beware. You need to be careful and know the market.

T

Some people just don't do their research. People take advantage of that i suppose. BTW unfortuatley woman on tiki sold while i was on Vacation. Anyone have an extra one?

:sheckymug:

J

I just purchased a set of 2 Orchids - Dr. Funk glasses from a seller on Ebay. When the items arrived I knew we had a problem - the sound of two mugs in a 1000 pieces. I opened the box and found that one mug was wrapped in a plastic grocery store bag the other was just smashed beyond recognition in the bottom. I was so pissed! I paid a good price for the two and they got destroyed thanks to some idiots inadequate/inept packing! I didn't raise a stink just kindly asked for a refund which I got immediately.
It had me wondering...

Johntiki

Here's a new eBay irritation - You put something up for sale, then someone
else uses the exact same wording for the title, but undercuts the starting price.
I guess there's no rule stopping people from doing this, but as we say in the
UK, "It's just not cricket".

Trader Woody

I just wanted to post myself as a Slippery Seller on Ebay because some people will not ask questions, but they like to bid in that last minute. I sell my mugs and discribe them as what they are. Mugs produced from a 1967 and 1962 mold made by Johnny Sens. I have had two people ask me after the auctions end if I made the mugs. Now these people outbid others by 1 dollar. They are outbidding people that know that my mugs are new becaused they asked. I guess that puts me in this class. So, I AM A SLIPPERY SELLER! AVOID THESE AWESOME MUGS AT ALL COST. Oh and you that have the 10 or so I have produced are lucky, because I will not be making anymore because of the idiots that give me the headache of making them pay for the auctions they have won. You can see my auctions for youself on the post I have entered about Johnny Sens. Decide for yourself. I do have a few more in stock that I will be selling, but not making anymore unless requested. Ebay seller name is "nedyahr"

M

I've noticed what a joke "feedback" is on ebay. It's usless, especially when sellers hold your feedback "hostage" until you provide a glowing report on the transaction. I have had several crappy experiences on ebay and never left a word of feedback becasue of that practice. A soon as I write "packs like a guy getting out of prison" or "fibs on condition of item" I will get a similar, but untrue, response as retaliation.

When I sell I leave feedback when the buyer pays, that's all a buyer is supposed to do, so feedback goes out. The feedback system just falls short in my opinion. It's a silly game most of the time.

A "positive" response is akin to "buy" ratings on Wall Street. Just about everything is listed as a "positive".

rant over, midnite

Midnite,

You're absolutely right. As a buyer I've had that happen 80% of the time. Despite paying in double-quick time, and being generally fairly cheerful in my communication, no feedback is left until I've finally got the item and have the decency to post feedback for them. As some items take a long while to make their slow surface journey across the continental US, then the Atlantic, this shows that they aren't just a little behind in their 'paperwork'.

Another gripe....when an item is described as being 'very unique'. You can't have gradations of uniqueness fercrissakkes! It either is or isn't! Grrrrrr!

Trader Woody

W

A double Mai Tai for midnite and all sellers who leave instant feedback for the buyer once payment is received. I agree, the buyer's part of the deal is to pay. Once payment has been made the seller should post.

Something else...Sellers often have these lengthy "By bidding on this item you agree to blah blah blah..." I thought I should construct one for my profile that says "By accepting my winning bid you agree to the following..." and list a variety of good transaction stuff that the seller should adhere to if they want to do business with me.

I'm not sure if this falls under the 'slippery' heading or not.
These are really nice & I want one, but aren't these available from Oceanic Arts for like $30?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2126357579

I saw one of these sell for an ungodly amount on ebay a while back & the description pumped it up like it was ultra rare.

M

These are not rare, and the seller has now resorted to private auctions for these items. Not surprising given his blatant misrepresentations.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=744231698

The pic is misleading, he does not have the box, it's simply an auction for 4 PMP mugs. The sad thing is this deceptive seller got $120+ a few weeks ago for the same auction.

Buyer beware.

T

Midnite,
You think that's fishy, check out the completed auction...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=734141891

and take a look at the winners feedback. Doesn't look right to me.

Tikirob

I have been looking at all the auctions from this guy and it looks like mistocanas bids on just about everything that he or she sells. I am reporting them. Please, someone else report them too.

M

You think that's fishy, check out the completed auction

and then this one:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=735888734

Coincidence, or a scam artist? You be the judge. I will take the move to "private auctions" as telling. Seems like a fraud to me.

Buyer beware!
midnite :drink:

M

All the stuff this guy supposedly has bought is so different. It is not like this guy buys only tiki stuff from that seller--it does seem strange.

T

Yeah, I think he's blatantly manipulating the system. He would like to get, say $150 for an item and it's not getting the bids he would like so along comes "mistocanas" who probably bids some high amount. This way the system will proxy bid and he doesn't have to sell the item below the amount he wants all the while avoiding any reserve fees due eBay.
Come on. How many "Spiderman DVD's" & "Attack of the Clones 2003 calendars" can one person possibly need?

Tikirob

M

I knew this would happen, only a matter of time. Further, this seller, many may know of his rep, is exactly the type to do it:

Buyer Beware!

Read the fine print. It's "new unused, Mint". Says a little, leaves out a lot...as is this seller's SOP. Some ususpecting, and ignorant bidders, can be duped into paying large for a repro.

I am caling shenanigans!
midnite

Midnite,
I agree. Knowing the rep of this seller, this is probably the Tiki Farm reproduction.

T

I agree. I think it's the Tiki Farm mug but can't be sure because the photo's don't show if it's white glaze on the inside. If it is the Tiki Farm version, it sure does look good and I can't wait to get mine.

Tikirob

T

It most definitely is the repro, and some poor sap is going to pay over 100 clams for a $13 mug. Makes you want to email the bidders and clue them in. Anyone care to be the harbinger of bad news?

M

Makes you want to email the bidders and clue them in. Anyone care to be the harbinger of bad news?

Hey ya Greg,
I can say with some reliability that the news will get around. The "Tiki Telegraph" is primitive, yet strong. There was an incident a way's back with this seller (and others) and Shag art cards. Ceased, desisted...with prejudice!

I have to agree it's the Tiki Farm repro. Just so convenient the mug's inner surface cannot be seen...big coincidence, eh? There are no big COINCIDENCES and little COINCIDENCES, only coincidences!

Happy Festivus, a holiday for the rest of us!
midnite :drink:

Festivus Tiki Sale

T

Well, I started the telegraph going and sent an email to the two bidders on this one, giving them a heads up. Man, it peeves me to see such deceptive listings! Bad Mana!

M

Well, kudos to those that informed the pwers that be:

item 744231698 was the lot of PMP mugs:

Busted, go directly to Ebay Jail!

midnite

M

Antique Cove is a bad seller in my opinion!
I knew this would happen, only a matter of time. Further, this seller, many may know of his rep, is exactly the type to do it:

Buyer Beware!

Read the fine print. It's "new unused, Mint". Says a little, leaves out a lot...as is this seller's SOP. Some ususpecting, and ignorant bidders, can be duped into paying large for a repro

F

of course you guys realize that the PMP set doesnt have the box-

and w/o that, its worth about $30 max, since you can buy those mugs individually on ebay any day of the week for under $10

..and i wouldnt touch ANTIQUECOVE with a ten foot pole- the guy is misleading (sold repros as vintage) and he's a serious jerk on top of it

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2002-12-06 21:52 ]

M

Non-slippery seller:

Repro Mai-Tai Joe

I wonder if the new repro's from Tiki Farm will have an effect on the authentic Sufferin' B prices? Interesting to see what happens with this mug, 'cause the seller DID mention it is a repro, compare contrast to the other auction and it's "lie of omission" seller.

midnite

H

That non-slippery seller appears to be the same woman that runs myriahs.com. I've bought from her in the past, and she is indeed great to work with. Cool to see her spreadin' the gospel about the new repros.

On 2002-12-06 14:30, midnite_tiki wrote:
I have to agree it's the Tiki Farm repro. Just so convenient the mug's inner surface cannot be seen...big coincidence, eh? There are no big COINCIDENCES and little COINCIDENCES, only coincidences!

And they can hardly feign ignorance of Tiki Farm's existence - they went to the Bash, then flogged all the freebies they could grab on eBay! Or was that another COINCIDENCE?

This is so slimey, it makes my skin crawl.

Trader Woody

M

That article is horrifying!

It sickens me that so many would try to profit from the space shuttle tragedy. There are over 1200 ebay listings for mission memorabilia! (Ebay search STS-107) And its not just the fact that these sleazy ebay dealers are listing a $5 patch for over $100 that upsets me, but that people are actually bidding on this stuff!

Thankfully, there are many who have countered this by creating listings telling ebay shoppers where they buy this stuff, at their regular price, directly from NASA, or even get it for free.

If you really need a rememberance of this tragedy, don't feed the ebay machine. At least show your support by buying directly from NASA.

On a lighter note, none of those listings contain the words Eames, Tiki, or Shag.

On 2002-12-09 17:28, Humuhumu wrote:
That non-slippery seller appears to be the same woman that runs myriahs.com. I've bought from her in the past, and she is indeed great to work with.

I just got an order I recently purchased from the lady at myriahs.com and she is indeed great to work with. She was nice enough to combine an ebay order with other stuff I wanted from her store. Sellers like her give me a little hope, but I try not to get too carried away with the whole ebay thing. I see so many people getting ripped off. How hard is it to do a little research before buying? Oh well.

Speaking of slippery sellers...
This bugs me.
I bought a vintage XXL Hawaiian shirt on ebay in January.
Item number: 3455014295

The cost of the shirt was $6 + $5.50 shipping.(decent price!)
The person seemed really nice & I felt bad being a few days late with payment, so I sent $20 cash & told her to keep the change.

After 5 weeks I hadnt recieved anything so I emailed the seller & she wrote back saying her son had cancer & she was dealing with alot of stuff & could I resend my mailing address? I said I was very sorry to hear that, sent my best wishes (& address) & told her that I would wait.
After the second month I emailed again about the shirt, to which she replied " I'm pretty sure I already sent everything out. I remember your payment, but can you describe the shirt & send your mailing address again?
I was confused because this is the third time she has asked for my address & she seemed to be sort of contradicting herself. I respond with my address again, describe the shirt AND send a link to the auction & tell her to please let me know the status of things.
She emailed back & said No shirts here that match that description, she doesnt know what happened, but she will refund my $20.
I was a bit disappointed, but thanked her for the courtesy of the refund.
Weeks later, no refund. I emailed again saying this is getting ridiculous & asked that she refund my money within 7 days or I will have to file a claim with ebay & leave negative feedback.
Vague reply- "ok, I'll try" or something like that.
I assumed that she was being truthful about her son, so I gave her alot of time to get the item out, but something just didnt ring true.

Now it has been approx. 3 months & no refund.
I finally filed a report, left (scathing) neg. feedback & sent another email letting her know this.
She replied that her son was dead & she "doesn't need this over a shirt."

I feel bad now. I'm this petty person who is only interested in money & this poor woman just lost her son.
I'm a dick.
Then she sends me an email saying she hopes I get sick or have a stroke!
Nice.

I checked her recent feedback & noticed that she changed the text a bit, relisted & sold the exact same shirt last month that she claimed was "lost in the mail"!
Item number: 3479956643
The picture is down on the original auction, but trust me- it IS the same shirt.

I'll never know if she was lying about her son but I truly hope not.
It would take a pitiful person to lie about the death of a son as an excuse for negligence.

Can anyone make sense of this?

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2004-06-17 23:08 ]

That lady sounds like she was full of crap. I can't beleive that she would lie about her son over a lousy 20$. Well, I happen to believe that what comes around goes around. And I hope that you DON'T get sick or have a stroke to counteract her bad mana, so there. Take it easy.

When I first started buying on ebay, I was impressed with and hopeful of the concept of the feedback system creating an "on-line community" that engaged commerce honestly despite the lack of face to face communication. I have had many straight up honest transactions; but it is the few bad ones that have soured me to the whole thing. I once traveled several hours to look at an expensive and fragile musical instrument listed on ebay (but not won due to no one meeting the min bid) rather than risk having it shipped sight unseen. I agreed to look at it to confirm the condition and details not clear from the photos and description and pay in person. I should mention that I had previously bought another item from this seller and received it fine, but feedback from him was still pending. After some bargaining, I ended up paying his asking price. After I paid and was leaving, he said it was good I did not try harder to bargain him down more or did not end up buying the item, because if I had, he would have "had to leave negative feedback" on the earlier item I had sucessfully purchased from him through ebay. In other words, this creep was willing to use ebay feedback as a weapon for non-ebay transactions!
Your story about the Hawaiian shirt seems typical of many others I have experienced, heard or read. It would be sad and unfortunate if her son really had sickened and died. However, sadder still is the fact that such stories, told as lies to defraud a buyer, are now commonplace on ebay. As far as fragile items go, the hassle factor of making an insurance claim for things broken in shipping makes it worthless in the first place. Generally, the breakage is not the fault of the carrier but rather the seller who thought that putting several pieces of glazed pottery (Tiki mugs) together in box with little or no packing materials was good enough. They would have been safer just tossed in the mail with the shipping label and stamps pasted to their little Tiki butts! I have given up on buying anything fragile or expensive on ebay. That leaves ebaying for things like unusual but cheap books etc. and buying Tiki mugs from Tiki Farm etc. and of course, looking in thrift stores.

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=360&item=3729948488&rd=1

Just had to post this, I have wanted this print so bad, and I found that it is still available out there for the regular price of $125.00 but here is someone really trying to get over and make some money.

And I sadly have been ripped to many times by sellers on ebay, and ebay does nothing to help you get the money or the items, that is why in some ways I wish we could do our own auction listings here on TC.

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-06-18 23:24 ]

H

Tiki-Toa -- bidding against each other is most certainly not discouraged around here. After all, how do you know the person selling it isn't a TCer? Shouldn't it sell for a fair price? What if one person puts a casual, low bid on something they're kinda interested in, and then another TCer wants is really badly and is willing to pay for it? How can you possibly know who is & isn't a TCer on eBay? Does someone who's only posted a few times count? Does someone who's brand new count? What's the difference between bidding against each other on eBay & making offers here? It makes no sense to me.

There's been some discussion here in both directions -- there are those that feel we shouldn't bid against each other, but there are plenty here who think we have no reason to feel guilty about it (I personally fall in the latter category). It's hardly a settled matter, and no one should be taken to task for bidding fairly and legally on items they want.

D

I don't think there's anything wrong with biddin against someone from TikiCentral,as long as the winning bidder doesn't rub somebody's nose in it-baaaad juju.

I used to have great luck with ebay, but lately, it seems that I've had more problems lately especially with big ticket items. I purchased a drumset (sorry, not a tiki item this time) from a seller who seemed on the up and up, but then a few weeks passed by. He claimed a death in the family, so I was sympathetic, told him to work things out and get back to me. A month later I got in touch with him and he said he sent it but had no tracking number or other records, but that his best friend worked at FedEx and he would get the tracking number. A couple weeks, a few friendly reminders, no drumset, no tracking number. Called the guy up and he said his best friend found the giant box the drumset was packed in stuck in the corner of the FedEx building and it was never noticed? C'mon...that's a BIG box! In fact 2 BIG boxes. A couple weeks and nothing. I finally reported him to ebay and he sent the drumset...minus the cymbals! He felt he didn't get enough money for the sale to justify sending them! More complaints to ebay and annoying but kindly hilarious emails to him...and finally he sends them! He actually said he hated to send the cymbals now because he liked receiving my crazy emails! NOW in the last 2 months I have purchased 2 different tiki items from 2 different sellers who are both claiming deaths in the family. Again, I expressed sympathy (I mean, who knows, this stuff happens) and I'm still waiting. After 2 months, one wonders...is there a trend of folks opting to ignore their selling responsibilities and lie to buyers, or is there an epidemic of sudden deaths of family members of ebay sellers? Guess I'll have another cocktail and compose a couple of friendly but sympathetic reminders...and bid on a couple more items I have in my watchlist. Cheers to all, K

my rule is this (for bidding on tiki items): if the person (seller) knows what it is... I probably don't need it.

But then right now, it's the liquor talking.

{no matter what is says down below.. this was never editied for your reading pleasure)

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-06-19 14:41 ]

M

I'm a dick.
Then she sends me an email saying she hopes I get sick or have a stroke!
Nice.

I'll never know if she was lying about her son but I truly hope not. It would take a pitiful person to lie about the death of a son as an excuse for negligence.

Can anyone make sense of this? *

Yes, I can. It will cost you $20.

The good thing about sick kids is, unlike parents or grandparents, one can have quite a few. Normally, I'd expect the big guns like a dead kid would be saved for recklessness or even specific intent crimes. Simple negligence? A bad case of pink eye, maybe some gout.

As Mom used to say, it takes all kinds. Never liked that saying from Mom, then again...she's dead.

midnite

T

It's not just the sellers relatives that are dying in droves, it's the buyers too. It's the NUMBER ONE excuse I get from deadbeat bidders. Death in the family.

Strangely, these tragedies don't stop them from BIDDINg on my stuff, just paying for it.

Maybe there is a strange kind of virus running amok through ebay...with the amount of death and sickness that occurs I would think people would be afraid to even think about ebay.

L

On 2004-06-21 13:27, Tiki Newbie wrote:
Maybe there is a strange kind of virus running amok through ebay...with the amount of death and sickness that occurs I would think people would be afraid to even think about ebay.

it's the curse of the tiki

K
Kono posted on Wed, Jun 23, 2004 9:01 PM

Is this the ultimate slimy tiki ebayer or did Trader Vic's SF actually have rabbit covered ceramic dishes? C'mon someone, tell me it ain't so...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=94&item=6104597688&rd=1

Pages: 1 2 79 replies