Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Glossop's Bar Syrups

Pages: 1 11 replies

I picked these up at my local Homegoods store today at a very deep discount - has anyone here tried mixing with them? I can definitely see tiki possibilities with the smoked sugar and brown sugar grenadine.

I haven't used them, but made from real sugar & natural ingredients according to the website.

http://glossops.com/

J

Scaramouch, do the ingredients lists confirm the "natrual ingredients" claim? Can you post a pic of the back labels? Thanks

K

Such bizarre flavor combinations. I would pass personally as I'm looking for the usual blend of syrups for tiki.

On 2015-03-23 10:06, kkocka wrote:
Such bizarre flavor combinations. I would pass personally as I'm looking for the usual blend of syrups for tiki.

I can see the grenadine working fine. The smoked sugar syrup would probably play well in place of regular sugar syrup in recipes with demerara rums, but I can't recall the last time I saw a recipe that wanted hibiscus ginger syrup or lemon lavender. I suppose they'd make a fine highball at the very least.

These are made in L.A. by Hipster/Mixologist is my sense
from the flavors listed and from all the drinks I have seen in L.A. Hipster bars
that use these taste profiles.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-03-23 18:30 ]

You say "hipster" like that's a bad thing. LOL.

Yeh, i think some of the weirder flavors are going to play better with gin than rum. But at half price, I couldn't resist :) When I actually get around to making something with them, I'll let you know, but for now I have a few batches of syrups I made last weekend that need clearing up first.

Here's the ingredients on the brown sugar grenadine. I'll probably experiment with this in a Dr Funk, Shrunken Skull or Planters Punch. I've yet to find a recipe that matches the Dr Funk I had at Don the Beachcomber in Huntingdon Beach, which was really great.

[ Edited by: Scaramouch 2015-03-23 19:14 ]

Oh, I got my opinions about the Hipsters, but I will spare you.
Funny thing with the ingredients, it lists walnut oil & orange oil
and a separate mention of natural flavors?
and zero percent of total fat?

Well walnut oil has a certain amount of fat content
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/589/2

4 Grams (1 Teaspoon)
40 Calories
Saturated Fat 2%
Total Fat 5g = 7%

So even if a small amount is added to each bottle it should be showing a 1 or 2 percent
amount of (Total Fat) at the very least, to just what are the unspecified "natural ingredients"
makes me suspect the accuracy of the label info.

Also most Simple Syrups have a one to one ratio of sugar to water
but if you break down the info again on the bottle

One bottle has 180g Total Servings by volume

1 Serving equals 30g
Total Carbs 18g
Sugar 18g
Sodium 0mg

Yet if this is a true simple syrup, at this ratio should have 90g of sugar per bottle
which equals 7.5g per serving.

Just for reference
100g of Brown Sugar
380 Calories
98g Total Carbs
Sodium 28mg

This bottle is listing 18g of sugar per serving?
so it is a rich simple syrup?
but then all the listed nutritional values should be double.

Looks like the label info is not true to the listed ingredients actual nutritional content
and sorry for going into detective mode here :lol:

Some of those old Don the Beachcomber cocktails must drive you crazy, not knowing what's in them :)

I don't worry about it that much, you have to separate the quality of the cocktails you get
in a Tiki bar from the high end ones we make ourselves, when you have to balance cost per drink
to what your average customer will pay for that drink, quality is dimensioned, it is all economics

By the way I highly recommend making your own Syrups (I think you mentioned, that you do?)
it is very easy.

So far I've only made only a variety of rich sugar syrups - demerara, vanilla, etc. I'm moving on to homemade grenadine this weekend. Not sure that I'm ready to step up to Falernum or Orgeat just yet :)

I can definitely taste the difference in home made, and when I can I plan ahead and make them. But I also like to have some store bought bottles in the closet in case I have friends drop around unexpectedly or I have a late night craving for something I haven't prepped :)

Scaramouch - making Falernum is magic and worth the effort! Do it with a friend and you'll have a good time together. It helps to have a Microplane grater for making the lime zest, it works very well. Be sure to try your Falernum straight, sip it with a single ice cube, in a small cordial glass.

Pages: 1 11 replies