Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Home Depot now has Tikis from Danny Gallardo aka Tiki Diablo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 213 replies

I

No luck, so far, on my quest for a Tiki Diablo in the San-Fran South-Bay Area. I've been to 3 HD's in San Jose (so far), and I checked the Livermore store today, where there was a confirmed sighting a few days ago - Too Late! I also checked Pleasanton on my way back. Has anybody spotted any Tiki Diablos in Northern California??? (This is becoming an obsession!). Thanks!

~QT

P.S. The other Tiki Stuff at HD is fairly cool - but I'm sure Tiki Diablo is WAY cooler. The Livermore HD had a couple of the big surfboard Tikis ($89), but I couldn't think of a place to put one in my yard. One of the SJ stores had a few cement-composite Tiki statues (36" tall for $69) that looked nice enough for my yard - so I picked one up.

Found a Maori at the Sequim, Washington HD giving more credence to the theory that this type of tiki is staying up north. Someone needs to make a war room push pin map of all the Home Depot that carry the Tiki Diablo sculptures.

S

Been to three Home Depots here in Tucson, AZ and no maori in any of those.

The Alhambra Calif. H D is a massive store. This afternoon they had one Marquesan, plenty of planters and a Big Daddy. The Bd was outside among the plants that were for sale. This was well away from the main Tiki display. If you’re looking for Danny’s stuff be sure to check the entire store, inside and out.
Cheers

Going by my local HD tomorrow in Laguna Niguel (OC) tomorrow. Will report back.

Let me know if the Laguna Niguel store has them please. My first Tiki was carved out in the nursery when that was a Home Base . That project got me into Tiki .

Who would have thought that Home Despot would someday be a source for amazing collectible tikis.

I really hope that the success of these Tiki Diablo figures will spur more to be made and sold across the country in the future. My bar has a floor-to-ceiling window with a special place I've set aside for a future tiki display.

....aaand still waiting for these to hit Fresno. Finally over the weekend one of the HD's had a sign put up saying 'Coming in July...TIki totems, etc.' and I left my phone number for them to call when they came in, but the kid looked young, and wrote my number on a napkin so I'm not too sure that will happen. I will keep stalking the place until they show up..

On 2015-07-13 12:31, TeeKeeMan wrote:
....aaand still waiting for these to hit Fresno. Finally over the weekend one of the HD's had a sign put up saying 'Coming in July...TIki totems, etc.' and I left my phone number for them to call when they came in, but the kid looked young, and wrote my number on a napkin so I'm not too sure that will happen. I will keep stalking the place until they show up..

Bakersfield stores are saying the 15th.

On 2015-07-13 12:46, Biotron2000 wrote:

On 2015-07-13 12:31, TeeKeeMan wrote:

Bakersfield stores are saying the 15th.

THank you. they wouldn't even give me a date here just offered to take my number. I'll probably hit all 4 stores tomorrow to see if they have appeared yet.

I

Confirmed sighting at the South San Jose - Blossom Hill store! There were 6 California Ku Tikis (now only 5!), and a couple of the Marquesan-style. No Maoris. They were just setting-up the display this afternoon.

So add that to the war-room pin-board!

~QT

[ Edited by: IMQTPI 2015-07-13 16:56 ]

I

On 2015-07-06 08:12, LoungeShark wrote:
Would somebody post pics of the Home Depot labels showing items #'s, etc? I'm going to figure out a way to get some on this side of the Mississippi....or at least try really hard. Heh.

I hope this works, but here is the tag from my 48" "Big Daddy" Tiki Diablo

F

On 2015-07-13 07:57, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Let me know if the Laguna Niguel store has them please. My first Tiki was carved out in the nursery when that was a Home Base . That project got me into Tiki .

Danny, the Home Depot has started stocking your awesome work! I took a few pics. Only one 4' totem out right now- a Marquesan that had an unfortunate chip on it's lower half. But plenty of planters and two bars set up with a pallet full of other sets.

A snap shot of the various planters.

I took home this Marquesan planter and a Maori one

One of the bars

The Marquesan totem with some damage on his left pectoral area

A stockpile of non-Tiki Diablo tikis

So happy to have some of these at home now. Hope all the HD stores that don't have their out yet them ASAP.
CHEERS!
:drink:

F

Oh, and here's the other side of the Tiki Diablo tag on each of the TD items (the generic ones dont have these)

I just learned at least one of the stores in Bakersfield will have them out today. I'll find out after work.

i hear costa mesa out of 4 footers but still have bars and planters

TP

For you Bay Area/Nor cal folks, Home Depot in Rohnert Park has the full display up including the large Maori. Good selection to choose from

Last night, the Home Depot store in Newbury Park, CA (Ventura County) had four 4' Marquesan tikis only, plus
3-4 tiki bars and plenty of the smaller items. I took home one of the Marquesans. Didn't get the impression that these
were flying off the shelves exactly, but the nursery department guys I talked to said all the "Hawaiian" stuff was very seasonal
and they didn't expect any more shipments. Danny, these are beautiful pieces - great job!

And the Marquesan tiki tag...

Best of luck to all ohana to get some of these great Tiki Diablo pieces!

Aloha!
20th Century Man

They had the full array of designs today at the Fresno store (I guess it's technically the Clovis store - on Shaw/Willow), but the 'Big Daddy's seemed kind of banged up. The Marq and the Maori were the ones I was hoping to score anyway, so I was glad they actually had them and were in good shape.

[ Edited by: TeeKeeMan 2015-07-15 02:43 ]

Everything, including the Maori, was available in Bakersfield at the Gosford Rd. store yesterday afternoon. The Rosedale store should have them today as well.

On 2015-07-15 02:31, TeeKeeMan wrote:
...but the 'Big Daddy's seemed kind of banged up.

Yup. I can't help speculating on a little glimpse ahead into the future here on Tiki Central. We can look forward to many future thread(s) and posts on maintenance and restoration of the Tiki Diablo Home Depot tikis. (Is that how they will be referred to in the future?) Then, also, there will likely be threads on "found one in a garage sale," "found one in a barn in Kansas," "spotted one in the wild at my dentist's office," etc. etc. etc.

This is great stuff!

Tucson Home Depots got their shipment in last week.

F

Glad to eventually see it all out there... Here in Central Texas it was a No Go on the planters as well Maori and PacNW tall pieces.

On 2015-07-15 05:50, AceExplorer wrote:

On 2015-07-15 02:31, TeeKeeMan wrote:
...but the 'Big Daddy's seemed kind of banged up.

Yup. I can't help speculating on a little glimpse ahead into the future here on Tiki Central. We can look forward to many future thread(s) and posts on maintenance and restoration of the Tiki Diablo Home Depot tikis. (Is that how they will be referred to in the future?) Then, also, there will likely be threads on "found one in a garage sale," "found one in a barn in Kansas," "spotted one in the wild at my dentist's office," etc. etc. etc.

This is great stuff!

People are excited to find something more than the typical neon colored Party City style 'tiki' crapola we've been subjected to for years. If that 'future' you describe comes to pass, you're already ahead of the game. You can start typing up sarcastic and bitter replies now and have them on standby.

On 2015-07-15 11:38, TeeKeeMan wrote:
...You can start typing up sarcastic and bitter replies now and have them on standby.

TeeKeeMan, it seems that my post came across totally wrong?

I was being totally serious - these are quality tikis which will be with us forever. I applaud that. These are great figures for us to see in and among the general public. My hope is that they will go a very long way to undo the Party City impressions we have to suffer under. I hope I get the chance to buy a few, I think my previous posts made that pretty clear. Bummer that I now live east of the Mississippi.

My dad and I had been searching for these Tiki Diablo pieces like a mad men for the past 2+ weeks. It got to the point where I was stopping at 3 different HDs everyday on my way home from work (Vallejo, Fairfield, Vacaville, CA) and also occasionally dropping by a couple in Sacramento. Luckily my Aunt works at HD Vallejo so we had her stalking the garden dept for clues.

Yesterday (7/14/15) she texted us saying the merchandise had finally arrived. I was stuck at work but my dad was able to shoot over and grab 2 Marq's, 2 Maori's, and 2 CA Ku's. He could only get 5 onto the flatcart after he paid so he left one of the Maori's with the clerk and wheeled the rest out to the van in the parking lot. When he got back the clerk told him it was good thing he had already paid for the Maori, as three people had asked to purchase it while he was gone (maybe 10 minutes). Whew!

Unfortuntely one of the Marq's was cracked in the forehead area which we didn't notice because Dad had bought it boxed. Stopped by Fairfield this morning before work and had to break the shrinkwrap on a pallet to grab a new one as that store hadn't yet unpacked their inventory.

All in all, very happy we were able to each buy a set for our own backyards. Would have hated to have to wrestle my dad for them had there only been one set. Keep searching out there, the treasure is still being revealed.

[ Edited by: Tiki_Would_Go 2015-07-15 14:30 ]

One more thing, not sure if they're big enough, but i was thinking that the planters are cheap enough that you could buy one to sit next to each of the beachchairs in your backyard tiki oasis. Fill the top with ice, and you'd have have a good place to rest your beer/swizzle.

Today @ The Harbor St. Costa Mesa, Ca. Home Depot

Had 4 Tikibars, 4 Ku & 1 Maori planter's left, sold out of the 4' Tikis
(they had six in stock)(I think Spike beat us all to them :) )

I wasn't planning on getting one, but picked up the last Marquesan planter
very nice job, Danny!

They did have plenty of the generic Tiki items in stock.

Hello! I have The California Ku Tiki Statue, The Marq, and am looking for the Maori in the East Bay. Any sightings lately in the 510/925/408?

It seems like thee are selling like hot cakes. Hopefully, he HD brass will notice, and continue the tradition.

I found 3 Maoris in the 510 East Bay at Union City; between me and my Father-In-Law, they are gone. My store, Newark, didn't get any Maori. Have you checked Fremont? It's a huge store.

Good luck!

-Voodoo

On 2015-07-15 22:05, Nytshaed wrote:
Hello! I have The California Ku Tiki Statue, The Marq, and am looking for the Maori in the East Bay. Any sightings lately in the 510/925/408?

T

On 2015-07-15 22:05, Nytshaed wrote:

I bought a Marquesan in Emeryville yesterday, and there was still one Maori on the floor.

I think they were pretty much cleaned out of the big statues otherwise, unless there's stock in back. The cashier told me someone earlier had bought some for shipping, so maybe there's a resale/speculative market?

[ Edited by: thomamas 2015-07-16 10:28 ]

And so it begins: Quick eBay search

3 Maori, 3 CA Ku, and 2 Marq's, at the Fairfield, CA store right now.

N

The HD at the Esplanade (Oxnard) has 1 Marq and 1 tiki bar ($199) and a few planters. I'm trying to find a 4' Ku. Anybody seen one in Ventikitura County?

Nancy

Thank you Tiki Diablo!

R

Got word from a friend today that he Tki Diablos hit stores in the Seattle area over the weekend. Went to two stores...At the first they only had one Maori and some planters...we left with a couple of the planters and the Maori. The second one we hit had one marq, one Maori and a bunch more planters. I spoke with the employees and it sounds like they flew out of the stores here too.

I guess that most people know good art when they see it. Great for Danny....great for Tiki in general. Good luck to all that are looking!

8T

HD has a pdf map of store count by state and it is from there that I took this info:

There are 1,977 stores in the USA
838 are West of the Mississippi River
Store count by state :
CA 232
TX 178
AZ 56
CO 46
WA 45
MO 34
MN 33
OR 27
LA 27
UT 22
NV 21
KS 16
OK 16
AR 14
NM 13
ID 11
IA 10
NE 8
HI 7
AK 7
MT 6
WY 5
ND 2
SD 1
GUAM 1

I once was lost.....but now I'm found.....

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2015-07-18 05:59 ]

T

Visited the West Seattle store last night and it's tiki madness! Plan on heading back today to grab some before they disappear.

I'll be delivering a Maori to my brother in Camarillo today. If you're in the area and are looking to complete the Diablo Trifecta, I may be able to bring along an additional piece.
Twenty dollars will be added to help cover my Ventiki bar tab. :drink:
Pm me.

A preemptive apology for the possible double posting.

T

Grabbed the last one at the Everett HD.

Diablo is being represented in southeast Cali (aka the desert tiki wasteland).

Actually there was only this one bar and one tiki along with a bunch of made in China stuff but that's still the most tiki this county has seen in 40 years :lol:

It definitely sucks that these are only available in the stores out west and not online for us easterners.

However, the tiki statues they were selling last summer were available this year online. I suspect that next summer, these will be available to everyone via home depot's website. Granted even online, they sell out fast.

I notice several of these popping up on ebay for more than double the retail price...so I think with a little patience (next season) these can be purchased by all.

As long as the demand continues, I don't see any reason they wouldn't get more and keep selling them.

I think you're right, and hope that Danny is working on expanding this. If this was a limited test run, it looks to me like it was very successful. My fear is that if Home Depot and Danny don't get to expand this, then someone else will come along and do it with cheesy tikis. Lowe's has been carrying a single short/stubby concrete tiki in their garden center for a few years now and it seems to have been selling well. If Lowe's is paying attention, they could also expand their offerings.

This Home Depot and Tiki Diablo collaboration is awesome!

I managed to get a couple of the other tiki's home depot offered last year by calling a store in the Houston, TX area and getting them to ship them to me. But shipping wasn't cheap...and this year the same ones on there website were with free shipping. So...I could have saved 30% by waiting.

I did see some tiki stuff at Lowe's here this year. It was terrible...it made party city tiki look good.

I am curious though...for those that have the collection in their stores about the bar stools in this photo:

How's the quality? Are they fake or real bamboo? I could definitely use a few stools around my bar.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2015-07-20 08:29 ]

Real Bamboo, Jim.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the smaller succulents on the Tiki Diablo planters? I just picked up two of them and one of the smaller succulents "broke" off. It looks like it was glued in with some sort of green glue or something to the planter.

Just wondering if I can re-attach it somehow. It's an air plant right?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 213 replies