Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Home Depot now has Tikis from Danny Gallardo aka Tiki Diablo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 213 replies

L

On 2015-07-07 20:43, Lake Surfer wrote:
I guess I'm left scratching my head though as people are falling over themselves to buy his art through Home Depot, when a person could easily commission him to create a custom piece for them... Especially folks who will not have his reproductions released in their Home Depots. Shipping a tiki across the country is really not as expensive as you think it might be... I've shipped many of my own.

Is it the price? Because honestly I'd rather have a one of a kind carved log direct from the source.

For me, mostly yea. I've done commissions. The last one I spent $400 for the 40" carving, plus $125 for shipping. It was a gift for myself, so it was special, and I love it. But for the same $525 I spent on that one, I can get all four 48", that's a deal, especially when I'm trying to populate my yard with quality items.

F

Though we have a Texas Tikiphiles FB group... For those that are not tracking on that page. I just grabbed a few from the 35/Howard Lane location. Boxes were all being unpacked. I know too the Arbor Walk location has a few out, and Hutto, and Round Rock's supply will be out tomorrow. If tags are still needed I can take pictures of the tags of the two I picked up and anything else after the displays are up.

What will happen to these if you leave them out in the sun? Will they get bleached white?

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Jul 8, 2015 11:03 AM

Im going to hit every Home Depot in between Port Angles WA and Portland OR tomorrow! wish me luck :)

EJ

I have hit about 6 Home Depots south of Houston. I was able to locate most of the items on palates at three locations. I have only found the bars unpacked and setup. I was able to purchase some of the tikis but it took me a while to figure out which ones they were as there are other style tikis on the same palate. While looking around I found a sign packed inside oner of the palates. While I know some Home Depots in Houston have some tikis out it appears that there is some type of event or unveiling scheduled to kick off tomorrow. At least that's what the sign seemed to indicate.

EJ

I should add that the only Tiki Diablo tikis I have been able to find is the one called Big Daddy and the Marq. No Maori has been spotted.

F

On 2015-07-08 11:57, El Jefe wrote:
I should add that the only Tiki Diablo tikis I have been able to find is the one called Big Daddy and the Marq. No Maori has been spotted.

Those would be the same I have only seen thus far myself in Austin.

S

Found a lot of items at the HD in Livermore, CA. That bar is really nice. Too bad I have no place to put it.

I did pick up one small Ku statue / planter

It is much higher quality than I imagined. Very heavy and sturdy.

Good luck everyone, hope you all find the items you like!

N

On 2015-07-08 11:03, Dagg wrote:
Im going to hit every Home Depot in between Port Angles WA and Portland OR tomorrow! wish me luck :)

You can scratch off the Home Depot at Sequim unless you only want the bar. I did snag the only tiki ($99.00 plus tax) and according to the clerk there are none on order.

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Jul 8, 2015 1:46 PM

On 2015-07-08 13:12, naugatiki wrote:

On 2015-07-08 11:03, Dagg wrote:

You can scratch off the Home Depot at Sequim unless you only want the bar. I did snag the only tiki ($99.00 plus tax) and according to the clerk there are none on order.

crap.. thanks for the heads up

T

In the Portland area I know the 82nd St., mall 205, and oregon city stores have them. Managed to get two of the big boys, but the California ku had sold out at Oregon city. They must've sold a third of their merchandise between when I was there this afternoon and this evening. Going to have to look elsewhere. Some of the other ones aren't half bad, I also picked up on the $69 ones. We just bought a 55 ranch that still has 50s landscaping and these are going to look great out there. These guys are specially appropriate for the Pacific Northwest weather. Wood tends to rot around here.

For those of you trying to order them, I think part of the problem is this is a promotion by one of their vendors, it's not actually Home Depot putting this on. It's part of The Hawaiian days I think it's called promotion put on by their plant vendor. That's why so few of the Home Depot staff knew anything about it.

[ Edited by: Teadoir 2015-07-09 10:43 ]

Mahalo for that information. That explains why the folks with the website sales seemed so clueless.

[ Edited by: Rum Journey 2015-07-09 08:51 ]

EJ

The local Home Depot I stopped by this morning had everything unpacked and on display. No Maori's or the planters.

Last night on the way home I repeated what I did the previous night: Two Home Depots on Slauson in Los Angeles and then the HD on Jefferson in Marina del Rey. I again struck out and ended up empty handed. And no one at any of them had a clue what I was asking about.

I'll try all three again today!

Home Depot in Bothell, WA has 2 Maoris as of this morning

TP

No luck at two Nor Cal Home Depots and nobody there knew anything about it either

EJ

One of the Home Depots I stopped at did not have the items unpacked yet. Walk around in the outside garden area and look for palates with the name Tropical Plant Source on the box I believe it is. The bar box is marked Tili Diablo bar. One tiki is marked Big Daddy and the other has 48 inch Polynesian tiki on the box.

8T

I checked a Kansas City location and got the usual confused look from employees. They let me know they didn't have them and told me it didn't make sense to be getting in garden supplies at this time of summer when they are trying to close out the garden center stuff. Don't they know I'm west of the damned Mississippi???????????????

RD

The merchandise started to hit Riverside County (CA) stores yesterday. I was in the Murrieta store yesterday as employees were starting to unpack the pallets. I took the Big Daddy and the Marquesan tikis while they were still boxed. They did not have Maori tiki but stated a second wave of product would be hitting stores at the end of the month. The woman I spoke with might not have been a Home Depot employees since she stated she would be at the Perris store the following morning to set up their display.

The planters did hit the Murrieta location but they did not come with the plants so she stated that they were being returned. She did allow me to purchase them without plants. I went next door to the 99 cent store and purchased some plastic succulents that did the trick.
Hopefully they will get this situation resolved and might explain why other stores do not have them on display.

FYI: The planters are a little bit bigger than a good size tiki mug. They would make a great addition as bookends to a tiki mug collection.

R

Found a bunch in L.A. today. I picked up one of the ku's . .no 48" maori's though..

This morning at the La mirada and Whittier stores (California)-Nada
Gonna check out La Habra tomorrow.
Cheers

On 2015-07-09 12:06, TraderJames wrote:

GRAB THEM! Danny mentioned this is the rarest one, less than 200 made.

On 2015-07-10 10:01, Loki-Tiki wrote:

On 2015-07-09 12:06, TraderJames wrote:

GRAB THEM! Danny mentioned this is the rarest one, less than 200 made.

Any idea of the numbers on the others...

Last night we went back to the Home Depot that said they wouldn't be getting them and they had two of everything! I bought the marq' I had been drooling over got it to the car and my wife said "I liked thumbs up guy too" (the Maori) so back in we went. Posted on Facebook and the next thing you know Robyn from Tacoma Cabana ran there and got all three of the Diablo tikis and more. Only one Ku left there but there is another Depot right off I-5 in Tacoma.

somewhere in los angeles

Enough, I can't take it anymore! Danny, please make more, and ship 'em to us East of the Mississippi. Make 'em look even more rad, and cooler, so that we can have our own turn making our tiki friends jealous over on the opposite side of the Mississippi!

:)

This is killing me. I just finished up a great deck and patio build out, and I'm searching for this exact thing. Stuck in Chicago.

T

Jantzan Beach Home Depot in Portland put them out today, just in time for Tiki Kon

H

On 2015-07-10 14:33, tikidon wrote:
Jantzan Beach Home Depot in Portland put them out today, just in time for Tiki Kon

Close but no cigar! None of those appear to be the ones from Tiki Diablo.

T

His are there too!

Aaargh! This is torture! I went to the Home Depot outside of Burlington, VT today as a futile, masochistlc gesture. You never know, right??? Miracles can happen! Not even a crappy cheap tiki in sight, much less a fabulous Tiki Diablo one. I guess east coasters don't rate "Hawaiian Days." The guy in the garden section just kept trying to hand me tiki torches...sigh. :(

P

On 2015-07-05 15:56, El Jefe wrote:

On 2015-07-05 09:34, PremEx wrote:
Yep. Houston stores had them out and on sale yesterday.

Which Houston stores?

North 610 Loop near Main & Lei Low. In fact, the folks from Lei Low were there at the same time buying several pieces.

Also the one at 610 & 59 in the Galleria area. Here's some photos taken an hour ago on my way to the airport. They still got plenty.

Good stuff! :)

L

Tikiskip - If you ever need another Hawai'i-made tiki, please let me know. I'll send you contact info for some Hawai'i Island carvers.

Hey PremEx,
Had the [Houston] Galleria one fixed the prices yet?
When I was there a couple of days ago (in search of the elusive Maori), they'd put $199 on Danny's Hawaiian ("Big Daddy")!
We're assuming it was a mis-tagging with the bar price, but still - that's really off!

And does ANYBODY save Washington and Oregon have the Maori (waaaant) or the Pacific NW totem or the small planters of Danny's?
I'm thinking/fearing they are delivering them regionally - that the NW gets two and (plus the planters) the rest of the West gets the other two.
Yay that I can get the Marq and the Hawaiian, but what if I want the Maori even more - which is the case!

EJ

On 2015-07-10 20:00, Formikahini wrote:
Hey PremEx,
Had the [Houston] Galleria one fixed the prices yet?
When I was there a couple of days ago (in search of the elusive Maori), they'd put $199 on Danny's Hawaiian ("Big Daddy")!
We're assuming it was a mis-tagging with the bar price, but still - that's really off!

And does ANYBODY save Washington and Oregon have the Maori (waaaant) or the Pacific NW totem or the small planters of Danny's?
I'm thinking/fearing they are delivering them regionally - that the NW gets two and (plus the planters) the rest of the West gets the other two.
Yay that I can get the Marq and the Hawaiian, but what if I want the Maori even more - which is the case!

I have been to quite a few Depots and have yet to see a Maori or the planters. They do not seem to have made it to our area. If I do stumble across any I will pick one up for you.

S

Just in case anyone is confused, only those you can see in the picture below are Tiki Diablo's. I have no idea about all the other ones.

And FYI, today we went to two Home Depot stores in Tucson, AZ and both stores had the planters, the Ku, the Marq. and the bar, but neither had the Maori or totem.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2015-07-10 22:22 ]

On 2015-07-10 22:21, swizzle wrote:
Just in case anyone is confused, only those you can see in the picture below are Tiki Diablo's. I have no idea about all the other ones.

And FYI, today we went to two Home Depot stores in Tucson, AZ and both stores had the planters, the Ku, the Marq. and the bar, but neither had the Maori or totem.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2015-07-10 22:22 ]

That Pacific Northwest Totem caught me off guard as it's not included on this promo image (please note I didn't call it a Tiki) .

I'm guessing it has even smaller distribution than just "West of the Mississippi".

Has anyone caught site of the Maori one in SoCal? I'm currently on the road working in Ohio (all summer), so my brother went to the home depot in North Hollywood for me and was able to get me the Marquesan and the California Ku, but there was no sign of the Maori or the planters. If anyone has found the Maori or the planters somewhere else in the area please let me know so he can grab them for me. Thanks!

I'm gonna stop checking this thread now. It's bumming me out. Doesn't Home Depot know the east coast needs Hawaiian Days more?? It's a 'Hawaiian day' every day on the west coast!!

Sorry California. I lost control.

8T

I burned a lot of gas going to six different stores around the KC metro area (both MO & KS sides of the state line) ZILCH. I guess we are still too close to the Mississippi and must be considered Easterners by the distribution heads. A nice employee in one store tried to help but settled on her managers advice : "Call corporate" 1 800 HOME DEPOT
I haven't done it. Had to work an extra shift. Maybe they can tell us which stores will get these products. Anyone who has a chance to call, let us know what they said.

Update: Also checked Columbia store in central MO.....Nada.

[ Edited by: 8ft tiki 2015-07-12 18:53 ]

K
Kedex posted on Sat, Jul 11, 2015 3:49 PM

Found the bar and two totem styles today at the Home Depot in Covington, LA (Which is just east of the Mississippi), but none of the planters, which is what I really wanted. The wife encouraged me to bring home two of the Big Daddy totems. Aw, shucks. :)

nothing in the chicago area

T

I purchased two of Danny's tikis (the Marq and Big Daddy)and all three of his planters. The whittier CA area Home Depots have all of Danny's Tikis except for Maori.

Lucky for me I was able to purchase the original wood model that was used for the home depot resin Moari. I purchased the original from Danny at the International Tiki Market Place at Don the Beachcomber in April. I still want to buy the resin Moari.
The original and the two resins look good in my home bar, the Tiki Nui.

I agree, HD needs to know that those of us east of the Mississippi need tiki WAY more than those on the West Coast! Especially in places like New Jersey which has no tiki love at all!

The only good news is that if all of you snatch up all the tikis then they'll HAVE to expand this for next year to the east of the Mississippi, right? Right?

I searched all HD locations in my area and none of them carried the Maori Tiki. It's weird. From the posts I have been seeing, the Maori is reaching northern CA and other states but not southern or central CA. Wonder why it's being distributed that way?

Lori, no feel bad...No Diablo tiki's coming out here to Hawaii either... :(
Looking for a cali-connectrion to get some shipped!!! :wink:

Aloha

La Habra HD has one Big daddy left as of this evening. La Mirada has plenny of Marquesans and Big Daddys. Both stores have lots of other nice resin tikis by other artists-not as nice as Danny’s but still nice.
Lori, what do you mean “NJ has no tiki love” ? Nj has you does it not?
Cheers,
David

Brother just checked the Hollywood HD and no sign of the Maori there either. Doesn't seem to be anywhere in SoCal...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 213 replies