Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Home Depot now has Tikis from Danny Gallardo aka Tiki Diablo

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 213 replies

H

Good stuff at Home Depot. They now have Tikis from Danny Gallardo aka Tiki Diablo.

Snatch it up!

Here's an article regarding it from Chris Nichols in Los Angeles Magazine:
http://www.lamag.com/askchris/home-depot-rolls-out-a-new-line-of-tikis/

Mass market Tiki decor that would appeal to us Tiki purists?
who would of thunk it!

I am for anything that will rollback the damage that Party City has done to the aesthetic over the years
so great job Danny! hope to see more from you in the future, during my regular trips to Home Depot.

T

The article says Tiki's available ONLY at Home Depots WEST of the Mississippi River )-:

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 4, 2015 1:11 PM

On 2015-07-04 11:32, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
who would of thunk it!

Would've or would have------The Spelling Police

T

Thortiki, I live in Washington state and was told the local Home Despot woudn't be getting them and they won't do a store to store transfer here. Hope they're wrong but tiki stuff usually doesn't make it up the coast from California to here either.

S

any sightings yet?

I've seen some reports of early sightings on Facebook, but nothing here in Bakersfield, yet.

I didn't see any of Danny's stuff there yesterday (SoCal)

Ernie! this must mean I am back in action! I have been corrected.

Cool, our trip through Great Falls to Yellowstone and back just became about $390US more expensive :D

I'm west of the Mississippi, wonder if they will be in the local HD here!

I'll keep an eye out at the Lincoln store in NorCal.

I just did a search on the Home Despot web site and none of these showed up in my results. I'm East of the Mississippi though.

Carve faster, Danny! Faster! :)

Nice job getting these out to the world at large.

My friend in Dallas texted me this photo on Friday, they appear to be rolling out!

I see other tropical stuff in that photo -- I'd welcome comments on what else "tiki" is being sold at Home Despot, and if any of it is also cool.

P
PremEx posted on Sun, Jul 5, 2015 9:34 AM

Yep. Houston stores had them out and on sale yesterday.

T

Congratz Tiki Diablo!
Great to see your stuff going main stream.

Told you he was a master carver.

T

On 2015-07-04 17:02, kenbo-jitsu wrote:
A nice article on Retro Renovation.

http://retrorenovation.com/2015/07/02/tiki-decor-home-depot-tiki-diablo-danny-gallardo/

OH MAN, if those had arrived at my local HD would have bought a pair of those big guys right away )-:

PS the Wahine can see the smoke coming out of my ears )-:

L

“As one of the first to pick up the chisel and resurrect the forgotten art form of sculpting tikis, Daniel “Tiki Diablo” Gallardo has been on the forefront of the tiki revival,” says tiki expert Sven Kirsten.

WE never stopped carving them here! Lots of great kalai ki'i in the islands. :)

[ Edited by: Leilehua 2015-07-05 09:56 ]

SO happy for Danny.

SO bummed I'm in Florida and won't be able to get my hands on this stuff. :(

T

"WE never stopped carving them here! Lots of great kalai ki'i in the islands."

When my wife and I went to Waikiki many years ago(20)there were not many
tiki anywhere.
We wanted to buy a tiki from Hawaii to take home.

Some of the tiki we saw were Boskos tiki from California.
Now we love Bosko but wanted a tiki that was carved in Hawaii.

There was one guy who carved and sold tiki under the large tree in international market place
that would only be there on Wednesday's, this is where we got our tiki but it was hard to find it.

Maybe this has gotten better.

EJ

On 2015-07-05 09:34, PremEx wrote:
Yep. Houston stores had them out and on sale yesterday.

Which Houston stores?

Would somebody post pics of the Home Depot labels showing items #'s, etc? I'm going to figure out a way to get some on this side of the Mississippi....or at least try really hard. Heh.

If a high-enough volume are sold, then they could decide to expand sales (and production) to cover the eastern states as well. And they may expand their offerings to even more high-quality items like this. So everyone west of the Mississippi please go out and buy TWO as soon as you can. Thank you. :)

As of yesterday afternoon (July 5) they still weren't out at the Home Depot on Jefferson in Marina del Rey, CA. I'm going to try to get there again today.

[ Edited by: The Below Decks 2015-07-06 08:36 ]

F

I checked out four stores yesterday in the Austin area... I didn't want to call and be told yes to just see a bunch of torches in the Garden Area.

Two didn't know what I was speaking of... Another said maybe in a couple of weeks. The last one said may be out tomorrow or Wednesday. I am not holding my breath until I see it in person.

I will post again for any local Austin Tikiphiles as well our FB group if I do find anything.

Loungeshark I spoke to a couple Home Depots here; said they could not order them but maybe if you called a Western store they could ship them to your home. Let us know if you have any luck that way.

I'm almost considering a road trip for these. Coolest mass-market tiki stuff ever. Way to go Diablo!!

Anybody from St. Louis checking out this thread? I'd be interested in seeing if there are any there. That would only be like a six hour (one way) road trip. Ha.

T

Forget the HD 800 line, these Tiki's are going to be in store pickup only. Talked to a SF area HD store a few minutes ago they expect the Diablo merchandise in by the end of this week in conjunction with a Hawaiian promo event for the products. The guy I talked with implied that shipping these outside (AKA Cross Country)the normal HD Store delivery areas would be a hassle, cost & damage issue. PLEASE let us know if any TCer's have heard different???

R

Nothing yet at the N. Hollywood- Sherman Way store.
There's at least 2 designs I'd like to get a hold of.
Way to go- Senor Diablo!

Another East Coast resident who is desperate here! I emailed HD and begged them to ship to NJ or to my house and got a "nope." Maybe next year if they sell well, bla-bla-bla.

Bummer!
I'm considering the cost of getting someone from the West coast to buy and ship.....Maybe for a planter or two but the statues would probably be cost prohibitive. (How many times have I said THAT?!?!?!?)

R

Tiki Diablo is Legit. Probably will sell out fast.

On 2015-07-19:50, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
...would probably be cost prohibitive. (How many times have I said THAT?!?!?!?)

The tikis may exceed the UPS weight limit. Late last year I had a trucking company pick up a case of 1.75l bottles of rare rum in Memphis TN and ship here to Florida. That was about 25 pounds in one single heavy-duty double-cardboard box, and it cost me around $95 for door-to-door service by a big rig. (Totally worth it!) Shipping the tikis can be done -- just get the weight of the items ahead of time, then start calling trucking companies with total weight, start/end addresses, and your best estimate of what size the crated/packed statues would be. If there are tikiphiles in your area that can help by buying a couple statues with you, then you can spread the cost. Of course you will need someone on the west coast to buy and pack the tikis so they can be loaded and moved around by the trucking. The truckers rarely load-and-go -- your shipment will likely be moved around a few times as they deliver other loads to customers along the way.

So it's definitely worth considering if you can get the tikis purchased and packed for you. Trucking estimates are free if you've got your information together. When you agree to ship by truck, be prepared to fill out your own bill of lading online - and the more clear, detailed and accurate you are, the more they love you.

My driver arrived with my case of rum at my work (where there are always adults to sign for liquor) then had a grand time wandering the halls announcing loudly to anyone he ran into, "Where do I deliver this case of booze?" It was pretty funny.

F

It will remain to be seen, but I just got off the phone with the Round Rock location off of 35, and the Toll (Phone:(512) 238-0820, 2551 S Interstate Hwy 35, Round Rock, TX 78664) they believed they will have everything this Thursday or Friday.

FYI, for those that do not know... Round Rock is a suburb of Austin.

The Mission Valley Home Depot in San Diego has 2 different versions of the 4ft tikis & 2 different versions of the planters & 1 tiki bar...

S

Several San Diego Home Depots have the Tiki Diablo merch in stock: tiki bar, big polynesian, big Kahuna (CA Ku), and the planters. Have not seen the Island Warrior (Moai) design at any yet.
Also some other tikis not designed by Danny.

There were a lot, but seemed like a lot of people were picking them up as fast asthey were laid out.

good luck.

On 2015-07-07 12:19, sirginn wrote:
There were a lot, but seemed like a lot of people were picking them up as fast asthey were laid out.

That's great! "Sell good quality tiki stuff and people will eat it up." Let's hope they are so successful that we get to see more of this on the general market.

I'm stoked for Danny, and he's well deserving of all the publicity and exposure!

And yeah... Can't say I'm not jealous as a fellow carver. ?

I guess I'm left scratching my head though as people are falling over themselves to buy his art through Home Depot, when a person could easily commission him to create a custom piece for them... Especially folks who will not have his reproductions released in their Home Depots. Shipping a tiki across the country is really not as expensive as you think it might be... I've shipped many of my own.

Is it the price? Because honestly I'd rather have a one of a kind carved log direct from the source.

Is it because they will weather outside better without worries of damage or deterioration?

Just curious... After 14 years I've stopped carving logs because I can't give them away.

Once again, I'm super stoked for Danny! He's living the dream many of us artists hope for.

@Lake Surfer. Danny is kind of expensive but rightly so. He does it for a living and he is one of the best carvers out there. Hell! His mentor is Leroy Schmaltz of Oceanic Arts and has learned tricks of the trade from him. But of coarse people will be flocking to his stuff at Home Depot because it's easy to get and it's cheap. I even got one from there and I own a original carving from Danny. But I do totally understand what your saying. :D

Great points Lake Surfer, and I totally agree with you on all points. I would say yes, it's the price & the material, you can put a bunch in your yard! But more than that, I think it's the fact that these are mass-market pieces that are actually well-designed. There's so much bad tiki out there, it's refreshing to see someone doing something legit on that scale.

On 2015-07-07 20:43, Lake Surfer wrote:
After 14 years I've stopped carving logs because I can't give them away.

Hey Lake Surfer, I'll gladly drive your way instead if you have some you want to give away. :wink:

Thanks for the replys, folks!

I get it for the most part. Perhaps these repros will lead to folks seeking Danny out for commissions in the future!

From what I've seen, they are very well done, and I know they've got Danny's stamp of approval.

LoungeShark... I won't be exactly giving them away... But I'll have a bunch of carved logs with me at the Hot Rod Hula Hop next month in Columbus at very fair prices. And you won't have to drive far. :wink:

T

Here is a blast from the past.

Tiki Diablo carves for OA !
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=5929&forum=18&start=0

Home Depot is going to get sick of my face; I've been there every day this week, but no luck yet in Bakersfield.

Last night on the way home I went to two different Home Depots in Los Angeles (both on Slauson) and then the one closest to me on Jefferson in Marina del Rey. I struck out and ended up empty handed. And no one at any of them had a clue what I was asking about.

I lived to try again today.

Trying to figure out if we can special order them in Atlanta. The Home Depot website is useless.

M

The Home Depot at Park Meadows in Colorado has them.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 213 replies