Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Art Swap 2019 - Complete!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 185 replies

JB- killer

16 days to go... anyone else gonna jump in?

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jul 16, 2019 7:56 PM

I should really get started on my idea. If only I'd remember to do something with it after work...

Hamo you better remember soon! Wendy

Hey guys! I've been AWOL for a while but I'm back!!!!

Just back from an Alaskan cruise, it was beautiful. Such a difference from the desert where I live.

Time to GET SERIOUS about my Swap progect, I've still got a few days off before I return to work

The plan is for a Rapa Nui Lamp with two cut out Moais and two cut out Birdmen. But I broke one of the Moai's noses already. Fortunately I have more gourds

So Plan B is to drill the holes to make a "pierced" style lamp. I've already ruined this gourd so I'll use it to test piece

I have seen gourd lamps in this style that project the design on the wall when the lamp is lit

I stained the gourd a bit with some wood stain for more contrast and took a Dremel to the area inside the Birdman. I like the concept but after a little research I found that I need some alcohol based ink stain to properly stain the gourd.

OK, now to start on a new gourd

Natural color on left, new gourd on right dyed with alcohol ink and antiqued

One birdman carved out, 3 more to go. As long as I don't jack it up or eat a finger with the Dremel :o

Aloha Mad Dog

Funny,
In first picture you posted above
it looks like there’s a giant wall of water coming toward you two.
Ice, but it looks like a tidal wave.

Great idea Mike
Lookin good

Technically Jon, it is a big wall of water :lol:

Just about done. Went to Lowe's earlier to get new Dremel bits and forgot to buy lamp parts

:)

U Kick ars

MadDogMike I think I just heard a whole lot of fingers crossing. What a wonderful work of art. You rock. Wendy

Thanks Jon and Wendy :blush: I plan to wire it up today and should have some pictures of it lit up tonight

I decided to add some spirals to fill in the open areas.

Wendy I didn't wear a mask with all that dust yesterday and I was sufferin' last night - wheezin' and sneezin' :lol:
Today Teresa made me wear a mask (she's a keeper!)

MadDogMike good decision because it looks even better and that's so great. Wendy

PS love the photos

Awesome Mad Dog
Looks great

(Always good to keep a keeper)

WOW MDM. Just a WOW!

Wendy

Mike, you always come up with something completely different.

Great imagination.

Okay, its a race to the finish line but I'm confident it will be done sometime Saturday. Its amazing how months turn to weeks, then days. This is the first tiki I have carved with a knife, so its been a learning process.

OK, a week away! We've got some really cool stuff happening for this Swap. Here's what we have as of now. Am I missing anyone?

Overachiever Hang10Tiki who finished 3 months ago. I had forgotten that you did birdmen too :lol:

Danlovestikis

Anthonymaye

JoshuaBell

MadDog Mike

MaukaHale

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2019-07-22 22:23 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2019-07-23 11:40 ]

MaukaH- jumping in at the end
Kool

Mike- :)

Almost time to send these out

Done! Finished my lamp today and updated the pics above

MaukaHale wow using a knife is really hard.

MadDogMike I love it when you do the line ups. I really like the thread where you put all the swaps together.

The 27th is almost here. We won't be at Tiki Oasis this year so no matter what I'm shipping my swap mug.

Cheers, Wendy

Making progress.

Looking good MaukaHale!
Wendy, we're going to miss you at Oasis :(

C
cy posted on Tue, Jul 23, 2019 1:44 PM

Some great art going on here, well done!!

Jump in CY

I'm getting closer. I just have to put in the eyes, do a little more sanding and stain.

You've been busy MaukaHale! Looks good!

MH- right on Bruddah

MaukaHale I want to see a photo of the knife you have used. With such depth in your carving it must be a very special knife. Wendy

Wendy,

This is the carving knife I'm using.

I sharpen it frequently with the leather strop.

Wow, I think I have that knife. I have a lot of wood carving tools that I use with clay. Wendy

MadDogMike wake up, get up, get going. We have all been waiting for the news since one minute after midnight!

Thank you hang10tiki for your early morning post. Thank you MadDogMike for running another fun swap.

Cheers, Wendy

Here are the final pictures. My art project is complete. Thank you to Mike and all the participants for this fun event.

MaukaHale he turned out wonderfully. It's time to swap.

MadDogMike where are uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?

Wendy

Mauka- awesome Bruddah
Wendy- :)

Mike- another fun swap

Can’t wait to see swap results

Cheers all

Maybe today is the last day to submit art and the drawing is tomorrow? Wendy

MaukaHale, looks GREAT! Nice addition to the Swap!

"MadDogMike wake up, get up, get going. We have all been waiting for the news since one minute after midnight!"
"MadDogMike where are uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?"

:lol: :) :D :P

"Maybe today is the last day to submit art and the drawing is tomorrow? Wendy"
Yes, I always do the drawing the day after the deadline. I'm don't think there will be any unexpected last minute entries. But then again, If I thought there would be a last minute entry, it wouldn't be unexpected :lol: TrAvElInG JoNeS, are you out there with a project? :D

I will do the drawing first thing in the morning and post results

MadDogMike, Cool, looking forward to your lucky draw!!! Wendy

Wonder what time that Mad Dog gets up?

Co'mon Jon!!! Just because 11:00am there...

I've been outside working on sprinklers while it's still "cool" outside (it's only 86 right now)

Drawing coming right now!

OK, drawn from my Sunken Treasure mug under the watchful eyes of HeiHei

And the results are (drumroll please)...

MaukaHale :up: swaps with AnthonyMaye :down:

Hang10Tiki :up: swaps with JoshuaBell :down:

MadDogMike :up: swaps with Danlovestikis :down:

Great Swap everyone, thank you for playing :D
If you want, check with your Swap partner to see if you will both be attending Tiki Oasis so that you can swap in person. Otherwise, you can mail your art out to your partner ASAP. Send your mailing address to your partner and be sure to post picture of your new art in it's new home.

"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2019-07-28 08:34 ]

wakes up bleary eyed the morning after hosting guests at the Sunset Fogcutter

Huzzah! Thanks to all the swappers - a small crew this time but amazing creations. I wanted them all!!!

MDM: Thanks for organizing!

Hang10Tiki: Sweet! I know just where it will go...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 185 replies