Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pimento Liqueur

Pages: 1 2 3 4 182 replies

I have been trying to procure some Pimento Liqueur. Wray & Nephews make it in Jamaica, but to not send it to the states. Does anyone know how, or where a fellow TCer could get a bottle of the stuff to make a few glorious tropical drinks with? I'm not against trying to make it myself, if giving a "good" recipe. Please help!

Cheers,

KT

ps. I probably wouldn't drink as much, if I could carve.

T

It is nearly impossible to obtain in the U.S. I've been looking in liquor stores for years without any luck. They usually think you're looking for olives with pimentos.

Internet seaches have also turned up zip. A year or 2 ago there was a site that offered it, but it seemed to always be "on order" and unavailable until further notice. I know one person who ordered it from the web site but I don't know if they ever received a bottle (did you Randy?).

I have even called stores that sell Jamaican products with no results except "you have to go to Jamaica, mon".

I have considered going to Jamaica on vacation so I can buy a couple bottles.

Yes, I too have been unsuccessfully searching for this for some time. I do have a recipe that I found for making it, but it calls for fresh pimentos and all I have ever been able to find is dried. I think I posted it once before, but (if i can find it) I can post it again.

What about the UK? Or Canada? Is it available there?

My understanding is that "pimento" in this particular case does NOT refer to the little red thangs in olives, but rather to pimento berries, which are the same as allspice berries...which are what we get "allspice" from. That is, the stuff that smells like pumpkin pie spices, ya know, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves etc. It's IN pumpkin pie spice mixes, I think.

So if I could find allspice berries, say at a health food store/special market, I could make pimento liqueur. I think. In theory.

Whaddaya think, guys?

I found this recipe - but have yet to try it.

Pimento liqueur is made by wray and nephew the rum guys in Jamaica. un fortunatly it is no longer available in this country. I think in the days when I ran the bar at the Rainbow Room here in NYC I may have been one of the three users of thre product in the States and they just decided to throw in the towel. However if yo take white rum and steep allspice berriaes in it, then add simple syrup and strain when the flavor is strong enough, you will approximate the product. pimento is an allspice berry liqueur

MM.

T

On 2003-09-24 13:25, tikivixen wrote:
My understanding is that "pimento" in this particular case does NOT refer to the little red thangs in olives, but rather to pimento berries, which are the same as allspice berries...which are what we get "allspice" from. That is, the stuff that smells like pumpkin pie spices, ya know, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves etc. It's IN pumpkin pie spice mixes, I think.

So if I could find allspice berries, say at a health food store/special market, I could make pimento liqueur. I think. In theory.

Whaddaya think, guys?

It's do-able. Here's the closest recipe I've found:

http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/allspice.htm

Whether or not it would taste anything like the Jamaican stuff I don't know, and that's important. That's why I haven't tried it myself. If I had a bottle of the real stuff to compare it to I might try it.

The above site is a great source of info on making your own liqueurs.

A

Yeah, Jab, that's right, the interweb source for pimento liqueur was a dud. We've got some allspice "berries" in our spice cabinet though. Maybe we should just make a drink with all the other ingredients and then suck on those. Maybe not.

-Randy

P

Yes, "pimento" is allspice berries, or more accurately pimento berries from which allspice is made. I have found dried pimento berries, but not fresh. Here is the recipe that I found for pimento liqueur, which calls for fresh pimento berries but seems to me that it could be adapted for dried.

Country Style Pimento Liqueur

• 11/2 qrts ripe pimento berries
  • 4 lb. of sugar
  • 2 qrts. of water
  • 1 qrt. of rum
  • 3/4 lb. of cinnamon sticks
  • 1 pt of lime juice.

Place the berries in the rum and lime for three days. Crack the cinnamon and boil in 2 quarts waters. Strain and boil with 4 lb. of sugar for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the berries and add the syrup when cold. Strain through clean muslin cloth and bottle.

This is from the Columbia Encyclopedia entry for allspice (pimenta dioica):

"The leaves and berries yield an essential oil used for flavoring, e.g., in Benedictine and other liqueurs."

Perhaps it would be better to get a bottle of the essential oil to use instead of the dried berries.

T

Have you seen the price of dried allspice berries? The cheapest ones I've seen are in those cellophane bags and the bag had only about a quarter cup inside it. 1.5 quarts (as called for in that recipe) would cost a fortune!

You should try Penzey's, They have whole Jamican Allspice

Penzey's Allspice Page

I get all of my spice from them Great quality and great prices.
Pick up a couple of whole nutmeg it makes a world of difference grated on a Painkiller

If anyone is planning on trying out that recipe, it might be best to start with only 1/2 quart (2 cups?) of the allspice since you'd be using dried berries. When substituting dried herbs for fresh, the most common conversion is 1 part dried herb for every 3 parts fresh. That would definitely drop the cost of a batch.

I've never taste the commercial Pimento Liqueur and would be interested to see if this would be a close second (or maybe even better). It would definitely be cheaper than a trip to Jamaica, but not nearly as much fun!

T

On 2003-09-24 23:00, Mano Tiki Tia wrote:
You should try Penzey's, They have whole Jamican Allspice

Penzey's Allspice Page

I get all of my spice from them Great quality and great prices.
Pick up a couple of whole nutmeg it makes a world of difference grated on a Painkiller

Thanks for reminding me about Penzey's! I have a catalog but have not ordered yet. They have way lower prices than most market spices.

It looks like making it ourselves is the way to go for now! Like Jab, I would prefer to actually try the real stuff before making my own, but I'm sure it will taste good anyway right? I mean, I like spices and love rum!

Cheers,

KT

Z

You can buy Pimento Liqueur from the link below. I bought several bottles from them a couple of years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/caribbeantreasures/rums.htm

Their website is a little flaky. Email them directly and tell them you want to buy some.

T

On 2003-11-09 22:45, zrongo wrote:
You can buy Pimento Liqueur from the link below. I bought several bottles from them a couple of years ago.

Their website is a little flaky. Email them directly and tell them you want to buy some.

I emailed them a couple of years ago and they responded that they were out of stock and wouldn't be selling it anymore.

J

Damn! I just got back from Jamaica Monday. I should have taken orders for Pimento liqueur - the stuff was cheap too $12.00. I'm kicking myself too because Cuban rum was abundant as well - I was afraid I'd get busted by customs and get the stuff taken away but of course they didn't even give my wife and I a second glance! I could have smuggled Cuban rum, Cuban cigars, not to mention other illegal items if I wanted to! All I wanted was a bottle of that Cuban white rum...one damn bottle!! Did pick up some Appleton Reserve and Wray & Nephew overproof rum (anyone know what I use that in??)...

T

[i]On 2003-11-12 19:23, johntiki wrote:[/iDid pick up some Appleton Reserve and Wray & Nephew overproof rum (anyone know what I use that in??)...

Next time consult with Tiki Central first! You can buy Appleton Reserve and Wray and Nephew overproof in the U.S. (well, in California anyway). You got some good rum - the Reserve is great straight and the overproof is a fine substitute for 151 (or if you want an extra kick in any drink!).

Does anyone know the penalty for bringing in Cuban rum or cigars? I brought back several bottles through Tijuana recently. I would have second thoughts doing it again if I knew I may be fined or arrested! I assumed they would only confiscate it if I was caught (perhaps I'm naive).

On 2003-11-09 22:45, zrongo wrote:

I, too bought a bottle of pimento from them. There was a month or more lag time from when I ordered until it was delivered. They required a faxed copy of my drivers license. When it arrived, the package had an Oregon return address hand-written on it. Very interesting. Pimento is very tasty stuff. Thick and sweet, it has complex flavors with good spice. It's highly regarded for its "digestif" qualities. Try "Jasper's Jamaican" from the Grog Log. I believe the recipe calls for pimento, lime juice, sugar, and rum. Very nice! If you can get it, enjoy! Good luck to all.

-Weird Unc

T

On 2003-11-13 11:49, weirduncletiki wrote:
I, too bought a bottle of pimento from them.

I'm so jealous! I've been trying to order from them for years and it's never been available when I inquired. I guess you have to go on their web site at the right time. Right now it's not available. aquarj said he ordered from them once and never got a bottle - did you ever get one Randy?

I'm trying to get some bottles right now from them. I just sent them an email. I'm saying my prayers!

KT

T

On 2003-11-13 14:27, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
I'm trying to get some bottles right now from them. I just sent them an email. I'm saying my prayers!

KT

Good luck. All my emails to them bounced back as Undeliverable.

J

On 2003-11-13 11:17, thejab wrote:

[i]On 2003-11-12 19:23, johntiki wrote:[/iDid pick up some Appleton Reserve and Wray & Nephew overproof rum (anyone know what I use that in??)...

Next time consult with Tiki Central first! You can buy Appleton Reserve and Wray and Nephew overproof in the U.S. (well, in California anyway).

I know we get the Appleton Reserve here in Maryland but at $28 a bottle I don't buy it too often. Never seen Wray and Nephew here!Also the Meyers's is the deal of the week - giant one litre bottle for $10.00!

It looks like I am a week away until I get my Wray & Nephews Pimento. I had a friend buy me a couple of bottles in Jamaica last week "they were only $10 each". I'll give a repost upon tasing!

Cheers,

KT

I did receive my pimento! Two bottles, does any one have a great recipe? I know that there are a couple in the Grog log/Intoxica, but just thought that I would reach out for any experienced mixologists advise. BK, what do you know?

Cheers,

KT

S

I know BK made his own. As for bringing stuff back from Cuba, it's no problem in amounts for personal use. 10 cigars would be okay, a few boxes, no.

Please refer to Gunther Anderson's HomePage. Gunther appears to be a bit of a "Folk Music Singin' Hippy" kind of guy. He does, however, have a significant list of recipes of liqueurs that can be made at home. Each and every one that I have tried, so far, gave absolutely Perfect results.
I have yet to try the Pimento Liqueur but the recipe looks right! I'd suggest listening to Splitsville's cover of "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" while mixing this one up. That's just me, though.

Here it is: http://www.guntheranderson.com/

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-04-16 00:24 ]

Jasper's Jamaican is good! Truly a nice way to get started with my Pimento. I'll try something else tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

KT

K

http://www.homedistiller.org/liqueurs.htm

Another pimento liqueur recipe that differs from the gunther version posted here as far as can tell.

Edit: Scratch the above statement...same as Gunther recipe upon closer inspection. Apologies

H
Helz posted on Thu, Feb 3, 2005 4:24 PM

Does anybody else have a recipe for this stuff, other than the Gunther one listed above?

I've tried several, with and without Cinnamon, some with lime, and some with molasses. Others use Brown sugar to make the syrup instead of white. But I figured that I can't be the only one experimenting with this out there...

I do have one that I particulary like, though I can't vouch for it's athuencity vs. the real stuff:

1/4 c. Crushed (Not Ground) Dried Allspice Berries
2-3 Cracked cinnamon Sticks
Zest from 1 Lime
2 c. Meyer’s Dark Jamaican Rum
1/2 c. High Proof Rum (I used Bacardi 151...)

I let this steep for 5 days Then filtered it and added it to a sugar syrup which I made by boilng together for 10 minutes:

3 c. Water
1 lb. Brown sugar
1/4 c. Molasses

I bottled it and let it set about a week. Pretty tasty all by itself...and I'm looking forward to test-driving it in a mixed drink very soon.

:sheckymug:

K

Damn, glad to see this discussion revived...

Yeah, I've been making my own pimento. I started with the rather weak and disappointing Gunther recipe and went from there.

Currently I've been doing a version with considerably more organic dried berries that I simmer over heat with a few cups of light rum. Then the resulting "tea" is added (berries and all) to an additional amount of rum and steeped for a coupla weeks. Filtered and mixed with a syrup made from organic blond sugar from Kauai and spring water I've gotten a very pure tasting honey sweet allspice flavor.

The color is almost that of a well brewed cup of tea (has a ruby red tint to it).

So far I've enjoyed this version a great deal. I'm not sure how I feel about diluting the allspice with other flavors such as lime, and in the absence of a sample of the real stuff...all I can do is guess.

Given that it is used in such small quantities in drinks, I like the fact that my current product is limited to only allspice and sweetness in it's profile. Makes a predictable and detectable addition to a cocktail.

Your thoughts?

Ahu

S

From THIS page I get this quote:

"It is also used in liqueurs, notably Benedictine and Chartreuse."

I can get both of those any day of the week. Does this mean we might substitute one of these? Are they what he is actually calling for? Where's Berry? I mean, I can't imagine he made that book full of recipes noone can make. I have found a source for Marischino Liqueur at least. And maybe real Okolehao will be made again...

I have tasted both Benedictine and Chartreuse and I do not notice any similarity to the allspice liqueur... there may be hints to the spice in the above mentioned products but as you would imagine the "real deal" is nothing but allspice and very strong tasting.

I think the allspice liqueur recipe is the way to go - it would probably be the best way to get the real taste without having to fly to Jamaica. Also, I believe the key to getting a good taste is using fresh allspice instead of the crap that has been in a bottle on a shelf for 20 years.

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2005-04-26 11:53 ]

Here's another recipe from someone that has tasted the real thing (that's to say not me).

From http://www.gumbopages.com/looka/archive/2005-02.html

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Getting closer to Jamaica, mon. Okay, last night I tasted the last batch of pimento liqueur. It's ... close. It's a little heavier than the real thing from Wray & Nephew, but flavorwise it's all there -- pure allspice, sweet and with the spicy characteristics of the rum used as the base. It was a little heavier than I expected, though, and maybe the next batch should be made with light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar.

This isn't definitive just yet, but if you want a decent homemade pimento liqueur to add a few dashes or teaspoons to cocktails that call for it, this'll do rather well for the moment.

Jamaican Pimento (Allspice) Liqueur No. 3
2-1/4 cups 151 proof Demerara rum.
1/2 cup whole dried allspice berries, crushed.
3 cups water.
1-1/2 pounds brown sugar.

Crush the allspice berries in a mortar and place in a 1-liter jar with a rubber seal. Cover with the rum and allow to steep for at least 10 days, agitating the maceration daily.

Pour through a fine strainer, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquor as you can, then pour the strained liquor maceration through another strainer lined with a coffee filter (this'll take a while).

Make a simple syrup with the water and brown sugar; heat until dissolved, then allow to cool. When cool, combine with the rum maceration and allow to age for at least one month. Decant and enjoy.

This will almost fill two 750ml bottles (we use the ones they sell fizzy French lemonade in, because of that nifty resealing rubber-lined ceramic stopper), so you can cut the recipe in half to makes less, unless you want to give some away.

S

All the recipes I see on the 'net for liqueurs all use A) 40% alcohol by volume and B) the most tasteless alcohol i.e. vodka or GPA to steep in. Here is a write up on it.

So why 151 and especially why Demerara? Personally, it seems like a real waste to use good rum on liqueur. Especially when a bottle of Smirnoff will do the job.

On 2005-04-28 09:05, Swanky wrote:
So why 151 and especially why Demerara? Personally, it seems like a real waste to use good rum on liqueur.

If your goal is to create an allspice liqueur then using vodka is fine but if you are trying to recreate Pimento Liqueur then rum will "apparently" get you closer to the proper taste. But for all I know, Pimento Liqueur uses fermented donkey piss as a foundation.

The author of the recipe using Demarara rum said;

*"I wanted to try to keep the ingredients more or less true to what would be used in Jamaica, and I'm not sure they use palm sugar there (although I'll look into it).

Then again, I'm using Demerara rum from Guyana instead of Jamaican rum. Dr. Cocktail suggested I mix Myers' dark rum with some Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum, which I think clocks in at about 125 proof."*

Now if Dr. Cocktail is suggesting that rum be used, then I gotta believe that a Pimento Liqueur copy should use rum...

Additionally, I would think that if rum is required to influence the taste of the Pimento Liqueur, then the type of rum used is critical to the taste of the final product.

I too was wondering why the recipe called for Guyana rum - I'd have to agree with using the vodka instead of wasting a good bit of rum to steep the allspice in.

S

So, maybe some Appleton Gold is more appropriate.

Swanky that may be a good call.

According to the Cocktail Database, Pimento Liqueur is indeed rum based.

http://www.cocktaildb.com/ingr_detail?id=220

Hakalugi beseeched me to reply to this thread, so here I am!

Yes, Pimento Dram MUST be rum-based. It was as a folk liqueur, it was when Sangster's made it, and it is in the Wray & Nephew incarnation.

The reason the recipe calls for 151 Demerara is the high proof of the rum makes for very efficient flavor extraction and allows for better control of the eventual proof. Personally, in the best of all worlds, I think the rum to use would be a combo of W&N Overproof and Myers's. That said, I sampled Chuck Taggart's last batch and found it almost perfect. Really, you could screw around with the formula forever (especially with MY harebrained theories) but in a tasting of the Real Thing and Chuck's batch...man, in a drink I don't think you could even tell the difference. So...everyone descend on http://www.gumbopages.com/ and let him know the Tiki hordes are outside him door with torches and pitchforks awaiting his final formula!

thine,
--Doc.

J

On 2005-04-28 12:55, Dr.Cocktail wrote:
I think the rum to use would be W & N Overproof...

Aha! I've finally found a use for the bottle of overproof collecting dust under the bar!

I just got my Pimento liquor from Caribbean Treasures last night, they have made some improvments in the site and the product.

1. On their page they now take several payment methods including PayPal
  2. The bottle is now labeled "Berry Hill Pimento Liquor" it is the same stuff by W.J. Wrey and Nephew, just new labels.

I love tiki-technology can find anything on the internet.

Pimento liquor is complex brown thick and syrupy, the best way to discribe if you have not tasted it is like all spice flavored Jagermeister with a hint of cinnamon.

Mix yourself several Jasper's Jamacians (from the Grog Log) you will be glad you did. What a tasty and well balanced drink. Just a little bit of this stuff will infuse your drink with a really nice exotic spice flavor. I am a happy customer.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2006-02-25 06:23 ]

K
Kono posted on Sat, Feb 25, 2006 8:10 AM

On 2006-02-25 06:20, captnkirk wrote:
I just got my Pimento liquor from Caribbean Treasures last night, they have made some improvments in the site and the product.

Thanks for the info! How long did it take to get yours? It says on their web page that it can take 3-4 months "because it comes from Jamaica." And here I thought they had airports in Jamaica.

T

Thanks captnkirk, I've been trying to order from them for years with no luck. I just placed an order for a bottle. I just hope it comes before my current stash runs out.

The Jaspers Jamaican is a very tasty drink. You can really taste the pimento liqueur in that one.

Also very good is the Montego Bay from Don the Beachcomber. The recipe is in Intoxica by Beachbum Berry.

J
JTD posted on Sat, Feb 25, 2006 5:26 PM

Capt Kirk,
Thanks for the heads up. Will let all y'all know how it copmpares to the homemade version.

JTD

J

[ Edited by: johntiki 2006-10-05 21:50 ]

On 2006-02-25 12:47, thejab wrote:
Thanks captnkirk, I've been trying to order from them for years with no luck. I just placed an order for a bottle. I just hope it comes before my current stash runs out.

The Jaspers Jamaican is a very tasty drink. You can really taste the pimento liqueur in that one.

Also very good is the Montego Bay from Don the Beachcomber. The recipe is in Intoxica by Beachbum Berry.

I ordered it and paid by PayPal on Feb 12 I had my bottle by Feb 24

I did not know if they had a good reputation or not that is why I used PayPal. If you get ripped off send to a verified seller, you get a refund.

As for the price and liquor laws. It was the cheapest way to get a bottle and it should last me a very long time. How is the state of Maryland going to intercept an unmarked FedEx package and determine it has liquor in it? I you get caught what is the penalty? As for other packages from Jamacia well they have dogs that find those, and very severe penalities.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2006-02-27 15:11 ]

T

I ordered it and paid by PayPal on Feb 12 I had my bottle by Feb 24

I did not know if they had a good reputation or not that is why I used PayPal. If you get ripped off send to a verified seller, you get a refund.

Good, I ordered using Paypal as well. Paypal is my pal.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 182 replies