Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pimento Liqueur

Pages: 1 2 3 4 182 replies

P

I placed an order for pimento several months ago and have heard nothing since. I tried sending an email a couple of days ago to check on the status of the order using the email address given on the web page. The email bounced with the error indicating that there was no such address. Does anyone have a good address for these guys?

Here is the email I sent the payment to, I know they will get your message here:

[email protected]

Good luck.

K

Eh, I enjoy making my own. Sure, I can order "the real thing" but if this is truly a "folk liqueur" then I think homebrew is a solid option.

To be honest, I like mine so much that I'd still make it even if I could buy the pro stuff at the store.

Can't beat the price either. I think a bottle costs me less than $10.

Ahu

J
JTD posted on Thu, Mar 16, 2006 6:51 AM

KuKu,
I enjoyed making my own too, but was curious how it compared to "da real ting", so I ordered a bottle. Hopefully, I'll know soon enough and let y'all know how it compares to the recipe recommended by Dr. Cocktail in one of the other pimento posts.

JTD

I think, I've just found & bought something that's very similar to pimento liqueur.

It's an Indian Liqueur, though it's a product of France.

The front of the bottle says: MANGALORE d'Espices et de Piment

GIFFARD - Mangalore

Description:
Subtle flavours of spices and peppers.

Mangalore or the flavour of the Indian coasts of Malabar, in which cinnamon and cardamom are blended to smooth out the pepper. A surprising, strong and subtle mixture.

The aromatic spices first smooth out the peppery taste (lemon-flavoured taste and sweetness of the cinnamon), somewhat masking it. Then it reappears (without being aggressive) mixed with the rounded and sweet flavours of the spices.

Pure on the rocks or on crushed ice, in icy or "flambé" shot, in long drinks or cocktails, Mangalore gives an original peppery and spicy flavour.

Producer: Giffard - http://www.giffard.com
ABV: 40.0%
Country of Origin: France

Has anyone else ever tried or heard of this stuff?

K

Nope, but I want some!

Funny, I make a cardamom liqueur already... and have been kicking around a cinnamon/black pepper/red pepper combo. I was going to tint it with turmeric.

This does not sound like it would match pimento flavorwise though. Pimento is kinda mild and sweet.

Ahu

On 2006-02-27 16:32, PiPhiRho wrote:
I placed an order for pimento several months ago and have heard nothing since. I tried sending an email a couple of days ago to check on the status of the order using the email address given on the web page. The email bounced with the error indicating that there was no such address. Does anyone have a good address for these guys?

Did you ever get your order PiPhiRho & Jab?

T

On 2006-07-10 11:24, Tiki Bird wrote:

Did you ever get your order PiPhiRho & Jab?

No. I emailed them on June 26th., and again today. Still waiting for a response.

I must have won the Pimento Lotto; I ordered mine in the middle of March and it showed up in May. I had pretty much written it off, but was pleasantly surprised by a box one afternoon when I got home from work. The Ancient Mariner is FANTASTIC!

T

On 2006-07-10 18:08, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
I must have won the Pimento Lotto; I ordered mine in the middle of March and it showed up in May. I had pretty much written it off, but was pleasantly surprised by a box one afternoon when I got home from work. The Ancient Mariner is FANTASTIC!

That sucks! I ordered mine on February 25th. (payed by Paypal), was notified in March that it would be shipping in April, and still have not received it. Buyer beware!

J
JTD posted on Fri, Jul 14, 2006 2:08 PM

Ditto on Jab's experience. Their website says next Pimento run in August, but I aint holding my breath.

JTD

G

Has anyone who was waiting for their bottle received it yet? I was thinking of placing an order, but their website now says "next shipment in Sept 2006". They're obviously not keeping the site up to date and that concerns me.

J
JTD posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 5:20 AM

Nope. :(

P

No, I still have not gotten my order, either, and it has been more than a year since I placed it.

G

Well, I'm on my way to making my own anyway. I'd just like to have a bottle of the real thing to compare it to. If anyone comes up with another source, please post.

T
thejab posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 1:03 PM

I finally received my order last August which I paid for in February, but forgot to post here.

T

Jab, have you made any drinks with it yet? If so, how are they?

T

Right now I'm enjoying the Addams' Apple, by Ted Haigh aka Dr. Cocktail. He named the drink after Charles Addams, New Yorker cartoonist and creator of the Addams' Family. It was posted in Imbibe magazine's blog (link below).

2 oz. Applejack
1 oz. apple cider
1/2 oz. pimento dram
2 dashes orange bitters

Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker loaded with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and if you want to do it up right, garnish with an apple slice that’s been soaking in brandy (Calvados is best) for a week, but no more. Drink the cocktail, chew on the apple.

http://imbibemagazine.blogspot.com/2007/01/you-asked-doc-reveals.html

Two recipes for Pimento liqueur are posted there as well.

[ Edited by: thejab 2007-01-15 12:11 ]

T

On 2007-01-13 19:00, thejab wrote:
Right now I'm enjoying the Addams' Apple, by Ted Haigh aka Dr. Cocktail. He named the drink after Charles Addams, New Yorker cartoonist and creator of the Addams' Family. It was posted in Imbibe magazine's blog (link below).

2 oz. Applejack
1 oz. apple cider
1/2 oz. pimento dram
2 dashes orange bitters

Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker loaded with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and if you want to do it up right, garnish with an apple slice that’s been soaking in brandy (Calvados is best) for a week, but no more. Drink the cocktail, chew on the apple.

http://imbibemagazine.blogspot.com/2007/01/you-asked-doc-reveals.html

Jab,

How would you rate this drink? How is the complexity? What are the main flavors?

Ted Haigh loves Applejack and Calvados.

T

On 2007-01-14 01:02, TikiSan wrote:

Jab,

How would you rate this drink? How is the complexity? What are the main flavors?

It's sweet, so it makes a delicious after-dinner cocktail. It tastes like apple pie - the pimento adds a marvelous spicy flavor.

I love Applejack and Calvados as well, if you like apples and booze then you'll like them very much.

I have 2 bottles of Berry Hill Pimento (Allspice) Liqueur available on my website http://www.reggaetreats.com

Pimento Liqueur are no longer available. Will update as soon as more is available.

I now have additional bottles available, on a first-come first-served basis. It would appear that the Pimento Liqueur is a scarcity even in Jamaica. I am doing an island-wide search for additional bottles.

http://www.reggaetreats.com

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jun 15, 2007 4:23 PM

On 2007-06-09 15:33, jamaican_vibes wrote:
I have 2 bottles of Berry Hill Pimento (Allspice) Liqueur available on my website http://www.reggaetreats.com

And they just arrived in the mail today! Wow, great liqueur. As I type this I am enjoying my very first Jasper's Jamaican (Grog Log) and its an excellent, excellent drink.

Its a shame that the pimento liqueur is so difficult to get hold of because it has a powerful effect as an ingredient (on par with Pernod except in a good way). Its not something that you could sub for or delete from a recipe. It makes the drink what it is.

Thanks jamaican_vibes, you've got my endorsement.

Now if I could only get some fassionola. :D

On 2007-01-15 12:10, thejab wrote:

On 2007-01-14 01:02, TikiSan wrote:

Jab,

It's sweet, so it makes a delicious after-dinner cocktail. It tastes like apple pie - the pimento adds a marvelous spicy flavor.

I love Applejack and Calvados as well, if you like apples and booze then you'll like them very much.

Guess who's here?

I'd like to make this drink not so sweet. The way I drink it is with extra orange bitters. I also look for the driest ciders I can find. Regardless, it should taste like a cold version of hot apple pie. From my point of view, if you go for extra orange bitters, you're entering that sophisticated Negroni realm: sweet, bitter, more refreshing. Sweet is fine, but I find I only drink a single sweet cocktail. With attention to balance, maybe a couple more! I'm very glad you liked it, and the member who said I love Calvados and Applejack, well, that person knows me well.

Moreover, I recommend attending my uncommon ingredients panel at Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans this July if you want to be the first to hear some REALLY exciting news about rum and rum-based spirits. Sorry to be so oblique, but we want to make a bring media splash, so i'm not saying more until the event, but I promise I'll return to update all of you, my tiki friends thereafter. I'm not shilling, I have no financial interest in the event. But you have no idea just how mush fun it is sharing with like-minded...oh wait, maybe you do! Seriously, though - try and come. The Bum will be there. Wayne Collins will be there. Minister will be there. And I will be there assuming all my hangover cures operate as advertised!

--Doc.

V

welcome, and great to see you here drcocktail. I'm a big fan !!

Glad to pop by. I'm a big fan of the whole tropical mythos and an highly enamored of great rum...dark and not too sweet, light and still demonstably rummy. Like the Bum, it is a little hard for me to move far past Donn because at best, his drinks were so well crafted, but my fave is still a hybrid Donn/Vic Navy Grog using pimento liqueur. If you find yourself at the Tiki Ti in Los Angeles, they'll make 'em for you there on request - something I initiated a long time ago.

By the way, it turns out I registered TWICE on these boards, once years ago, once, err...yesterday! So if you see posts from either drcocktail or Dr.Cocktail, they are BOTH me. My memory is like a julep strainer.

--Doc.

S7

And my 2 bottles of Berry Hill Pimento liqueur arrived in the post today.
Great to see them getting to Dublin in 2-weeks, as I was quoted at least 1-2 months,
as the only option to the UK/Ireland was surface mail.
So here's another endorsement for Reggae Treats, keep up the good work - brilliant service.
Anybody else out there thinking of getting this rare liqueur should make their move now,
while the chance is there.
All those Navy Grog's waiting to be revived :)

S7

Hi all,
Has anyone got a link or recipe for the original 'Navy Grog' with the Pimento in it ???
Thanks.

If you have a Grog Log look up the Ancient Mariner. That is probably pretty close, although I believe that the Trader Vic's Navy Grog uses more grapefruit than that.

Thanks for that PiPhiRho,
I can remember it being discussed before, but everyone seemed to prefer variations with the Pimento.
Dr Cocktail mentioned he prefers his Don/Trader hybrid.
Anything in the old Trader Vics 1942 bartender guide ??

G

Here's the Trader Vic's Navy Grog recipe courtesy of Jeff Berry (last paragraph on the page).

Man, I love it here. Thanks, Rob!

Thanks for that link GatorRob - much appreciated.
Time to break open a bottle of Berry Hill, looking forward to making up some of Don's Mix # 2,
and the recipes that call for it in the new Jeff Berry book 'Sippin Safari'

G

Don't thank me. Send an email to Jeff Berry and thank him.

I just made a couple of those by the way. First one was with Myers's for the dark rum, Lemon Hart and pimento (allspice) syrup. It was... okay. Second was with Appleton Extra for the dark, Lemon Hart again and pimento liqueur rather than syrup. I think I heard a choir singing on the second one. That's the keeper.

S7

Yes GatorRob, Jeff's the Man. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have the interest I have in Tiki drinks.
He really has given us all a good education, to be appreciated.
Like yourself, just tried the 'Navy Grog' with Appleton VX and El Dorado 12 yo.
It was quite a revelation, not what I expected, it took a while to get my taste buds around it, but the crushed ice made all the difference, and in no time I took to it, looking forward to giving it another try tomorrow night, it's one to be savored slowly.

Kono and Squad701 thank you both for your endorsements and support.

RB

My bottle was waiting for me today after a week-and-a-half vacation. My order shipped surface mail on June 18th (the slowest and cheapest way), and reached the Northwest in less than three weeks time.

B

I just got my two bottles of Berry Hill Pimento Liqueur from reggaetreats.com !
They Rock! Finally a reliable source for the stuff! - Two words N A V Y G R O G !!

Another two word's 'Ancient Mariner'.
From the 'Grog Log' Jeff Berry's version of the Trader Vic 'Navy Grog',
and in my humble opinion a brilliant variation.
It will save you wasting your precious Pimento Liqueur, and still have all the flavors shining through,
as it only uses 1/4oz compared to the 'Navy Grogs' 3/4oz.
I've made them both in the last couple of days and my vote definitely goes to the 'Ancient Mariner'

PS - Follow it up with a 'Beachcombers Punch' (Grog Log) as you will have most of the ingredients still on your kitchen table.

M

Another thumbs up for reggaetreats.com.
Just got my bottle today.
It should be a fun weekend! :D

In addition to Pimento Liqueur I also sprung for a bottle of the World's End Rum Cream. I got it in the Blue Mountain Coffee flavor (what else?) and I am not disappointed. This is some damn fine stuff. There are other flavors, too. Banana and something else. Mango perhaps? I can only recommend the coffee as that is all I have tried, but I absolutely DO recommend the blue mountain coffee rum cream. In fact, I think I am going to indulge in a sip right now!

The shipping was pretty fast, even considering that I chose the slowest shipping method. Forget that other place that takes months and you have to constantly bug them. This is a reliable source for a hard to get item, in addition to many other great Jamaican delights.

T

Great to see you posting Dr. Cocktail! Your Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails is one of my favorite, and most utilized, books of classic cocktails, along with the Beachbum's books, and the Esquire drink book. Wish I could attend Tales of the Cocktail, but Tiki Central will be well represented by Martiki's (long-time TC poster, tropical drink expert, and co-owner/manager of Forbidden Island) presence there.

On 2007-07-11 10:48, thejab wrote:
Great to see you posting Dr. Cocktail! Your Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails is one of my favorite, and most utilized, books of classic cocktails, along with the Beachbum's books, and the Esquire drink book.

These books are also my specific favorites, along with the old Savoy Cocktail Book.

Thanks everyone who posted reports about Reggae Treats... time to finally score some of this stuff!

RB

I've always assumed my surname "Pimentel" was derived from the "pimento" pepper, but now I'm going to go with the explanation that it's from "pimento" liqueur. "So what's your last name mean?" "Alcohol."

In case anyone is on the fence about ordering the pimento liquor - here's another positive review for Reggae Treats. I just got 2 bottles of pimento and some jamaican ginger beer (love a good dark and stormy) within 3 weeks of ordering. Just passin' it on.

Joe

K

I just made a batch from the recipe in the most recent Imbibe magazine (allspice berries, 151 rum, brown sugar syrup). I don't know if it tastes "right", but it sure tastes damn good.

G

On 2007-07-22 03:33, Koolau wrote:
I just made a batch from the recipe in the most recent Imbibe magazine (allspice berries, 151 rum, brown sugar syrup). I don't know if it tastes "right", but it sure tastes damn good.

Well, if you just made a batch, you need to let it rest about a month. Then it gets magical.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 182 replies