Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Mugs!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies

M

See above post:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=724574689

I know Tiki Bob, Tiki Bob was a friend of mine...blah blah blah. I don't "need" two kidneys, right?

Once chatted with an ebay seller of four Tiki Bob mugs, two Moari, two signature models. Her friend picked them up at a "roadside store" in California. A whopping $2 for all four. Sold them for around $600-700 on ebay.

midnite

M

The second "moari" Tiki Bob went for $150, the opening bid. I think the seller could have done better with a lower opening bid and a reserve. Just goes to show, one sells for $295, the next one $150.

Go figure.

On related note, at least I am saying it is related, visit the October Midnite Tiki Mug Sale:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=cpt.midnite&completed=0&sort=3&since=-1&include=0&page=1&rows=25

Shall be listing a few more items this weekend. Peruse the goods, ya may find something for that special person...you! :D

Thanks for the indulgence,
midnite

M

Hmmmphh, looks like this thread is pretty desolate. C'est La Vie! :roll:

Anywho, instead of starting a whole new thead I thought I'd post these here. Yeah, $295 for a Tiki Bob is a pile of cash, but howzabout $305 for a newspaper?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=729509458

Not bad, eh....howzabout $103 for one napkin? Yep, a F :x :evil: &# :P ing napkin!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=729509489

Unreal :o

midnite

T

What??? They didn't go for the authentic booster seat!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=730783554

M

Gol-leeeeeee, Sgt Carter, thats a lot of %$#*!@ money for some shakers!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=731339339&rd=1

Gomer midnite, USMC

ps. MCF has quite the collection, but I am still shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya, at $130.

I'm not that shocked considering what the last Maori Tiki Bob's mug went for....

M

"Tiki emptor beware" or smething like that? This is a reminder to always be sure what one is buying, in my opinion this seller is being more than solicitous...it's deceptive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=734141891&rd=1

Think you're getting those 4 PMP mugs in their original box? Nuh uh. Dirty pool, I call shenanigans! Have to watch out for selers like this, and those passing off new repro mugs as vintage. Always read the fine print.

deputy midnite

M

The above auction went out at $127.

Simply four PMP mugs, no original box as the picture suggests, which have sold on ebay previously for $16-$20. I hope the bidders knew what they were getting, because in my eyes that was one shifty, duplicitous, unethical seller. Not cool.

Bidder's responsibilty to read the listing to see the seller is misrepresenting things witht he picture. However, it's sellers like that and a few others trying to cash in on increasing Tiki popularity that make me :evil: !

midnite

With the Paul Marshall mugs, its kind of weird. Sometimes I see them sell for nothing and sometimes they close at ridiculous amounts! Same thing with the Orchids of Hawaii Volcano bowls.

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-11-13 11:47 ]

M

Hey ya gang!

Well, I have already sold a few items, but here's what remains of Midnite's November "I ain't no turkey" Tiki Mug Sale Jamboree:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedItems&userid=cpt.midnite&include=0&since=1&sort=3&rows=25

Hoo Yaah,
cpt.midnite

EDIT: :sheckymug: I will work with any international TC'ers and ship outside the U.S. That means YOU, Trader Woody, and any others too! :wink:

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki on 2002-11-13 23:09 ]

M

For some reason the Paul Marshall "tummy ache" mugs are hot now? I put one on this auction, and it was snapped up quick. I had tried to sell the same mug last month...no bids. Now I see a bunch of them listed with some outrageous "buy now" prices. Did that deceptive seller with the four start all this?

The mini Midnite November Sale is all about over:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=cpt.midnite&completed=0&sort=3&since=-1&include=0&page=1&rows=25

What, no one wants the "Pig Fetus in a Jar" Trader Vic's mug?

midnite :drink:

M

The Mojo was in high gear tonight. Apart from the two Mauna Loa mugs I won quite a while ago(also "buy now"), this is the ultimate score for moi on Ebay.

The Islander (L.A.) Vicious Virgin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13833&item=739771388&rd=1

I have the Coffee Grog mug, now I need the "Cobra's Fang". Think I may have used up all my luck on this score.

midnite

DZ

WOW! Midnite - nice score! I've never even seen one of these other than on a drink menu!

Don't you just love "Buy It Now"?

Midnite,
Unbelievable score! The only other one I've seen was in Al's (of alnshely) collection. He scored his a garage sale, no less! Other than Al's, I have never ever seen one!

M

!

Don't you just love "Buy It Now"?

Yep, without "buy now" I would not have most of my "rare" mugs purchased from ebay. Simply cannot compete with the deep pocket collectors out there. Hence, my lack of a "Sufferin B" or "Pineapple Alien dude" Islander mug. Alas I can always sell to the big spenders!

Will be a long time before I get a better score than this mug.

midnite

M

Holiday Sale...Holiday Sale, tra la la la!

Only 20 shopping days left, and what will you have to put under the Festivus pole? Here's your chance to pick up something nice for that hard-to-shop-for special person. Some nice crap, er Tiki items, check out that South Seas mug. Maybe a nice Aloha Showroom, ohhh!

Midnite's Festivus Tiki Sale

That's the last little "Pig Fetus Stuffed in a Jar" I have. Those are big in Japan.

Let us Air the Grievances!
midnite

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki on 2002-12-05 15:02 ]

M

Ok, it's not quite a mug, but it IS worthy of mention. I am not sure it's worth the price. I once was outbid on a wood Tiki that was apparently from The Luau, at around this opening bid price. It was nice, this...

Dah plane, errr....Dah Tiki, Dah Tiki!!!

Fantasy Island Tiki

midnite

p.s. Ok now, my stuff does not have such fantastic "provenace"...but I used to watch Fantasy Island as a kid. Plus, I once rode a horse that belonged to Elvis.

Midnite's Festivus Sale

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Dec 7, 2002 3:04 AM

great score on da islander tiki mug! looks like you beat everyone here to da punch! If I would have got it, I would have made myself a tiki mug shrine tiki for that mug!
congrats midnight_tiki!!

I just got an Hawaii Kai skull mug for $9.90 on ebay. I seen one in an antique store in Waikiki for $100 which is over priced!

Aloha

Fantasy Island? Looks like the tiki from Pee-Wee's Plahouse! Could it have been in both?

On 2002-12-06 17:55, midnite_tiki wrote:
Ok, it's not quite a mug, but it IS worthy of mention. I am not sure it's worth the price. I once was outbid on a wood Tiki that was apparently from The Luau, at around this opening bid price. It was nice, this...

Dah plane, errr....Dah Tiki, Dah Tiki!!!

Fantasy Island Tiki

midnite

p.s. Ok now, my stuff does not have such fantastic "provenace"...but I used to watch Fantasy Island as a kid. Plus, I once rode a horse that belonged to Elvis.

Midnite's Festivus Sale

M

"Looks like the tiki from Pee-Wee's Plahouse! Could it have been in both?"

Hmm, DUAL-use provenance! That could add some value to it. Still, when I saw the listing I was excited...when I saw the picture...not so excited.

Dah disappointment, dah disappointment!!

midnite

p.s. new motto of midnite's Tiki mug importer/exporter Ltd:

"I will sell no Tiki mug before its time!"

M

A few auctions of note:

$355 Trader Vic

Wow, that much!?! Yes...THAT much. It looks older than mine. This headhunter mug is one you see in differing quality and glazes. Fine detail on this, but Holy Crap!

Notorious Seller's Mai Tai Joe repro

I warned a bunch of the bidders, but if someone snipes? You lose! Sadly, one can buy this mug for $12 right now.

BTW, speaking of notorious sellers...thanks to all the bidders on my Festivus Tiki crap. Appreciate the business! More stuff to come in early February. We need to find some new stuff.

midnite :drink:

A few auctions of note:

$355 Trader Vic

Wow, that much!?! Yes...THAT much. It looks older than mine. This headhunter mug is one you see in differing quality and glazes. Fine detail on this, but Holy Crap!

Notorious Seller's Mai Tai Joe repro

I warned a bunch of the bidders, but if someone snipes? You lose! Sadly, one can buy this mug for $12 right now.

Geeez...what a bunch of suckers. You'd think that someone who buys Trader Vic's collectibles would know something about what they are buying - especially when they're spending this kind of money.

Unbelievable...

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-12-13 10:57 ]

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-12-13 11:01 ]

M

My latest "best" score. Have posted it in the Tiki Gallery:

Oceanic Arts mug

I contacted OA about it, will post any info the provide. Have seen the mug in the case at OA, along wih many other Holy Grail type mugs.

On a related note, the elderly gentleman at Emeryville TV's that told us about the ealry TV's and Zombie Village? He also mention "Planter's Dock", a place no one seemed to recognize. I googled the name and cam up with one bit of info. It's now Temple Isaiah:

"So in November 1952, when Planter's Dock, a Polynesian-style restaurant in Lafayette went into foreclosure, the men and women jumped at the chance to purchase the building and its 13-acre property for $53,000."

Sacred ground, eh?

midnite

Midnite,
Another good score! I'd definitely put this in the Holy Grail category. Actually, I'd put any Oceanic Arts mug in the Holy Grail category - especially that elusive Cobra's Fang mug. I never seen their mugs anywhere --ever. As a matter of fact, other than the pair at Oceanic Arts, your big-mouth mug is the only one of theirs I've ever seen...

Where the hell did you find it???

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-12-16 18:33 ]

I saw this same mug on Ebay. I was thinking about bidding, but since I am short on room, decided to let it go.

[ Edited by: tikimaniac on 2002-12-17 09:57 ]

M

Got a reply from Bob at OA:

"This mug was created for the MahiMahi Restaurant in Nashville ,Tennessee in the mid 1960's. We have the original drawing for the mug. We had a sculpturer make up the pattern, then Desert Ceramics in Indio made the molds and production parts.
If it has the Oceanic Arts on the bottom it is one of the original mugs, although the color seems off somewhat and the brown rim at top is not like ours. Desert kept the molds and could have made more.

The MahiMahi restaurant was decorated by Eli Hedley, one of the original beachcombers who had an Island Trade Store in the first Disneyland. Eli is Bamboo Ben's grandfather."

Oh, was not purchased on Ebay, btw.

midnite

M

Here's a new one:

Anyone with info on this place, Islander Westport Washington? I got nothing, nada, zip, zero, zilch, bupkiss.

Also loaded this new mug at the Tiki Gallery. Amateur pottery, Tiki Bob look alike...it's actually pretty neat. Wish I had gotten one in a different color.

Tiki Bob-ish

These were ebay scores.

midnite

F

man this thread is gettin long- intersting stuff, but maybe break it up?

M

Apart from the first of the new Mai-Kai mugs that went for $300+, the bidders thought it was some rare vintage piece, this is the most absurd amount for a mug I have ever seen on ebay:

Islander Hula for $250?

Unreal, to put it mildly. I just sold one for $76 and I thought that price was awfully high.

midnite

Midnite,
Funny you should mention that as I was thinking the exact same thing. When you sold yours for $76 I thought "wow, Midnite scored on that sale." But $255.00?!! Now I'm thinking "wow, ruddyducks (whoever that is) scored on that sale." But I still can't figure out how they got so much for it. Plain and simple, this is not a rare mug.

Go figure...

M

Well, it's not a Harvey's bucket, either. It's semi-hard to find. God knows I tried for ages. But I just got one last week for $15, so my patience has been rewarded. After that auction, though, it looks like I'll have to add it to my renters insurance policy.

-martin

M

Our latest addition to the Midnite Tiki Museum, which by the way, is still missing an authentic Sufferin' Bastard. We have installed a "blank space" for the mug, not unlike they do in Greece for the Elgin marbles found at the British.

Kalua Room Mug

The Kalua room mug is similar in design to the center piece of the musuem's "Sepik/PNG" installation, the Mai-Kai drum:

midnite

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki on 2003-01-03 14:33 ]

DZ

I picked up a "Mai Kai drum" mug recently for just over $10! And on eBay, no less! (it was absurdly mis-labeled...)

M

Submitted to the Tiki Gallery, the latest acquisition for the Midnite Tiki Museum. Remember, half-priced admission with any offering of rum for the management, Tuesdays...Ladie's Night!

Spurlin's Ceramics Tiki

Along with the pic is some interesting info from Bob at Oceanic Arts. He has been very helpful in identifying some of our mugs.

midnite

On 2003-01-03 14:31, midnite_tiki wrote:
We have installed a "blank space" for the mug, not unlike they do in Greece for the Elgin marbles found at the British.

I hope you aren't leaving your mugs out in the elements, subjecting them to horrible levels of pollution, and allowing the general public (locals and tourists alike) to chuck their waste in their general direction! That's what would have happened to the Elgin Marbles if they had remained in Greece. (Never mind the fact that the Parthanon was used temporarily as a storage area for ammunition). Had the Elgin Marbles remained in Greece, they would either have been cracked rocks or a few flat stone tablets with a mass of pollution-wracked marble-mush underneath.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2003-01-04 13:02 ]

M

Sometimes I think it is time to liquidate the entire collection. I mean if this is the going price for Islander stuff, recall the $255 hula palm tree mug, then maybe it is.

$75 Islander Pineapple

I do hope these bidders are around in a few weeks when we launch Midnite Tiki Mug Spectacular 2003! New and improved, faster, stronger, more intense Tiki-ness.

Ok, it's pretty much the same as Midnite Tiki Mug Fest 2002, with a few balloon animals and some free popcorn.

It's butter flavored!

midnite

M

Now, I say this is bad form. Mike has purchased some items from me in the past, still...it's Shecky, bro.

Shecky on the block, gasp!

I must say a blackball in order, selling the mascot, unacceptable. Do I hear a second?

midnite

J

That is absolutely obscene!!!! Who in the hell has the nerve to offer our mascot up to the uninitiated!? That is very disturbing! I second the blackball!!!!!!!

:drink:

T

Burn in the fires of Pele, I say! I gave a warning in a much earlier post:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=350&forum=5

Obviously I did not word it strongly enough!

Bad Mana!! Blackball!!

T

That's right! No one bid on it, it would be bad luck, or something.

[heather sneaks in a bid, since she was too slow to get a mug the first time]

Does that mean Munktiki have sold out of the 150 Shecky's made? If so, it took a lot longer than expected. I'd assumed they would have vanished within days.

But yes, offering up Shecky to the great un-hosed is particularlarly bad form. The God's will indeed be angry.

Trader Woody

I have an extra one (I bought one for my sister but changed my mind later), so if Munktiki is sold out and someone needs one let me know at [email protected] .

Never mind- just saw on the other thread munktiki still has some. :)

M

I had heard Goodwill and SA were selling vintage rayon Aloha shirts on Ebay, but this is a bit disheartening:

Goodwill Sells Tiki

so much for the "Ebay is too pricey, I go to thift shops", eh?

midnite tiki mug sale hits tomorrow, we beat Goodwill prices!
midnite

J
jtiki posted on Mon, Jan 27, 2003 9:18 PM

I just did a little trade with mcf7777 and mentioned his Shecky sale. He is apparently selling off, in preparation for a new child and may be a move, and an employment adjustment. He said the "doubles" had to go first and he had more than one Shecky.

On the other hand, it is Shecky, and he is our own.

j

M

Awright, here ya go Tiki pals:

Midnite Groundhog Day Tiki Mug Sale/Charity Drive

Have at it, it's all for a good cause; the Parole Officer wants a new dining room set.

midnite

Twenty-four hours later:

Awright, here ya go Tiki pals:

Midnite Groundhog Day Tiki Mug Sale/Charity Drive

Have at it, it's all for a good cause, the Parole Officer wants a new dining room set.

midnite

Oh, Crap!

M

A new post on this old topic? Can only mean one thing:

Midnite's All 'Buy Now' Tiki Spectacular

I like Pie!
mdinite

M

One "Holy Grail" NOT down:

Midnite's Grail

It has the flame glaze, too...crud.

Can't beat 'em, have to sell to them,