Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Mugs!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies

M

Okay Tikiphiles, how about a single forum to discuss all things Tiki mug? Regale all with tales of the great search for Tiki drink vessels...entertain us about a stupendous find or bargain was had, saving a lost mug from oblivion, liberating another memento to the safe environs of your collection.

Ask questions, provide answers, critique the newer mugs or just comment on favorite mugs and Tiki collectibles.

Incraese your mana and help spread the Tiki mojo.

[Edited by Hanford Lemoore to add to the title]
[ Edited by: midnite_tiki on 2002-12-05 11:26 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-03-16 23:28 ]

M

Ok, what a great idea for a topic! Hee hee!!

I will get the ball rolling with an initial vote for best mug ever: Tiki Bob.

And here's a glimpse of what some items can attract. This has to be the highest ever bid, save a "Elvis Blue Hawaii" Tiki Bob?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1088492916&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1017977772&indexURL=0&rd=1

I am hoping Mike allows me to make a pilgrimage down South and pay homage to the "Mystery Bowl"!

How about it guys? Do we want a forum for this? Will it make Tiki Central easier to read? Or harder?

If we get enough people who say "yeah!" we can add a Mug forum no problem!

Please note that a FORUM is higher than a TOPIC (it is actually a collection of topics), and would seperate all tiki mug topics out from the "Tiki Central Message Board" forum.

Post your opinion here!

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-04-07 16:45 ]

M

Whoops, I had no idea my use of "forum" had logistical ramifications. I was hoping to have one general topic for "mugs or collectibles". So, I vote for one central repository for mug/collectible talk...whether that is a forum or topic, I am not sure.

I say leave as topic. My interest is to see a more centralized discussion thread for this aspect of Tikidom.

Whatever leads to minimizing fragmentation and clutter.

Well, tikimug.com is sorta set up to be that.
Seems to be a shame not to do it over there. But I definately think someone has to do a guide to repro mugs, in light of the bad tendancy of people on ebay to sell repros with a minimum of info, resulting in high prices on cheap mugs.
TG

A separate forum is a good idea, IMO.

W

A general "Hunting and Gathering" forum would be good. I like reading about Centralites Tiki finds, whether mugs or masks or miscellaneous. A section for show-and-tell might encourage posts which may seem frivolous floating alone in the general forum.

T

I gotta tell ya I love my mugs :D but, I am definitely in favor of a more general "Hunting and Gathering" expanding it beyond just the mug thang.

On a side note, does anyone know what that volcano looking thing is, that's sitting in front the kid in the eBay picture? And boy does she look happy drinking out that tiki bowl or what? :P

M

The kid with Gypsy Rose Lee? I hope that's her kid! I think it is just a table lamp or two. A nice version of a Kahiki table lamp sold on ebay a few weeks ago for $200+.

midnite

I dig on the "hunter, gatherer" topic. I think it would be a great idea.

K

I'm responding in the affirmative for a "hunting gathering" forum! It'd be especially nice to have a place to post (my) stupid mug questions and get some knowledgeable answers from you folks...There's nothing worse than paying too much for a cheap mug.

Maybe a trading sub-thread? That'd be cool!

M

How's this for a "hunting &ngathering" anecdote?

BTW, I like that idea...not soley mugs, but a catch-all discussion for collecting Tiki. Further, maybe we can start some real trading exchanges...to offset the HIGH prices of the little collectibles these days.

Ok, the anecdote. I just chatted with someone via email who purchased 3 different Steve Crane pieces at a small store. The headhunter and warrior god mugs, and bird of paradise bowl. Total price, $16.

Of course these type of things NEVER happen to me!

T

I think a seperate area for discussing tiki mug hunting including anything else tiki would be a great idea. Many people seem to hunting for vintage stuff, especially mugs, and this would consolidate messages and info for everyone to browse and respond to.
....and a BIG THANKS to Hanford for setting up this message board on his site- it looks great!!

M

Tiki mug question, part 2?

I tried to post this, not sure if it worked earlier:

Hawaiian Inn "paddle sucker"..I have 2 little guys with a "knife?" in one hand and tongue sticking out. I have also seen a version with a fuller belly and sticking the "knife" in its mouth.

Which is what? paddle licker or sucker? What are those litle guys, birds? Does it matter?

Still a fave mug of mine...hee hee!

I have to agree with TikiGardner that I think that was the purpose of the tikimug chat.

Now I have to say that the Kahiki bowl thing was a bit much. Tell Mike or Yoho- or whatever his name is, he is just plain off his rocker. Geeze-Louise man, what do you people do for a freakin livin'?!
(Obviously this guy does not have a wife who feels the need to critic,analyze and inspect every mug purchased...uh, not that mine does that...no...)
If I won the big 7 state lotto tonight, I would not have the kahunas to spend $800 on a Kahiki Bowl. Hope he insured it - hell for that kinda money, I'd just drive or fly up and get it myself.

Here's to Big Kahunas!
:sheckymug:

[ Edited by: the75stingray on 2002-04-10 19:57 ]

M

YOWZA!It's a great mug...but holy guacamole!!! Imagine the pen-holders and discarded "back shelf" mugs out there, and the owners have no idea what some may pay.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=1091453155

midnite

Are any of these "high rollers" within our little family here?
Just curious.
I've said this before and I'm seriously curious; What the hell do these people do for a living?

:tiki:

Just curious.
I've said this before and I'm seriously curious; What the hell do these people do for a living?

In early/mid '99 I was buying a fair amount of mugs on eBay and paying what was then top dollar - I was buying mugs that I didn't have, wanted badly and couldn't find anywhere. I'm happy to say that my eBay "mug portfolio" has outpaced the S&P, Nasdaq 100 and blah blah 500! My only words of advice: NEVER SHOP ON EBAY DRUNK!!

This may be off the subject, but I am asking for a little help here. I'm in a heated debate with a friend, well, actually he's just a drinking associate (as you may or may not know, not everyone you drink with has to be your friend). Anyway, he says tiki mugs are, in fact, NOT mugs but rather cups as they have no handle. I said he's full of S#*%. That was the best cross examination I could think of in my rum-induced stupor. Why do we refer to them as 'mugs'? Please assist me with this so as I can whoop him upside his non-tiki-phile head with tiki logic. Thank you.

On 2002-04-16 17:21, Tiki_Bong wrote:
[snip] Anyway, he says tiki mugs are, in fact, NOT mugs but rather cups as they have no handle. I said he's full of S#*%. [snip] Why do we refer to them as 'mugs'?

well the dictionary I looked up "mug" in didn't say anything about a handle and defined a mug as a "cylindrical drinking cup", so i think you're in the clear. I think we call them "Tiki Mugs" becuase "Tiki Cups" sounds goofy.

~Hanford

M

"I'm happy to say that my eBay "mug portfolio" has outpaced the S&P, Nasdaq 100 and blah blah 500!"

You got THAT right! Some of these prices are WAY out of my league, but it's what the market wil bear. Will it last, is it "correct"?...no idea. It's frustrating when I cannot afford something I want, perfectly fine when I am selling.

But just once, ONCE!, I want to find a mug for 25 or 50 cents that has been going for $100 on ebay. I know many sellers that have, and it seems they're always clueless as to a mug's possible value. Luck of the Czechoslovakians!

W

I'm wondering how long and how much Tiki_Bong and booze buddy had been drinking in order for the conversation to turn towards whether a mug must have a handle or not.

Of "mug" one dictionary said "often having a handle" another specified that a mug was meant to be used without a saucer. Just hazarding a guess I'd say the cylindrical drinking vessel came first in human history, the handle was probably a later addition. The Tiki mug was a later perfection.

According to the Encyclopedia Woofmuttica Tiki mugs are what one drinks out of, Tiki cups are what one finds on a coconut shell bra. Tiki cups can be drank out of as well but this usually only happens after a lot of drinking from Tiki mugs has been done.

When I think of a mug, I think of a coffee mug. These mugs are usually made of some sorta fired clay. So's a tiki mug. Maybe that's a part of it?

T

I guess I'm considered one of the "high rollers" and when you work in the computer industry and don't have a family, you have money to blow on these high priced rarities.

You also don't have anyone to answer to! :wink:

But like art and antiques collectors, it's an investment as well as a hell of an enjoyable hobby!! As we all painfully know, the vintage mugs and bowl are going up in value. I say collect what you can and enjoy what you've got. I have some mugs that aren't worth much that are some of my favorites!!

mahalo
Mike
http://www.tradervic.com
http://www.tikiroom.net

On 2002-04-16 14:32, the75stingray wrote:
Just curious.

[ Edited by: TikiHula on 2002-04-17 13:29 ]

TikiHula- Thanks for the reply. Now I need to find a similar-financially-situated and single female that can whoo me with dreams of tiki mug paradise and make me leave me wife with her siren of exotica!
(I'm imagining a Lex Baxter tune).
Thanks.

T

Tiki_Bong exhaled:

Why do we refer to them as 'mugs'? Please assist me with this so as I can whoop him upside his non-tiki-phile head with tiki logic. Thank you.

Well, my "tiki-phile logic" instructs me to conclude to the following...

"Mug" = Face (slang, as in "you've got an ugly mug, but a great personality!"),
and...
Tiki "Mugs" usually have a face on them!

Hence, Tiki MUGS
Hence to forth...
There point scored, I win!!
Next Mai-Tai is on YOU!

[ Edited by: tikimug on 2002-04-18 12:15 ]

M

Ok, Tiki Bob is my favortite mug, and I continue to have fantasies of taking the cash needed and resurrecting the "Bob" from his dastardly state at Post/Taylor. I'd do it right, and bring back that great oasis of Tiki life.

BUT, $200+ for a Tiki Bob mug?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1095010462

Shocking, do these people know how to bid? These mugs go for $50-100 on almost a weekly basis.

midnite

Hey Tikimug,

I liked your reasoning. Mug = face = Tiki Mug.

Sincerely,

Tiki_bong (gurgle, gurgle, cough "hey, where's the Oreo's?)

Regarding the Tiki Bob's mugs, Midnite Tiki said:
"These mugs go for $50-100 on almost a weekly basis."

This one simply perplexes me. I noticed that certain mugs just seem to hold a higher resale value for no particular reason. Tiki Bob is a prime example of that. This mug is so abundant on eBay; I see at least 2 or 3 posted every week and for some reason it still sells higher than say a Mark Thomas Outrigger mug which seems less common to me.

K

I must confess that I am one polynesiac who doesn't get the whole expensive tiki mug thing. At all. My favorite mugs are actually real preserved coconuts. I'm much more into the various tiki decor items. This ebay mug craze reminds me of an episode of "Amazing Stories" back in the day. This guy's mom harasses him for being such a pack rat and he eventually puts all his tons of junk, including lots of "worthless" face mugs into his vw beetle and drives off becoming a sort of bum for many years... the episode ends with his mug collection being auctioned off for hundreds of thousands and now he's a wealthy old man... I don't quite recall the point or twist of the show though, it was 17 years ago and why the heck do I remember it at all? Weird.

T

I'll put my money on the 'mug = ceramic' theory. After all, anything that holds liquid is a cup. But a mug? There's gotta be some firin' and a-glazin' goin on.

But according to an ad from the 1963 Better Homes and Gardens I just framed, they are called 'Exotic Tiki Tumblers" at the bargain price of 89 cents eadch, or 6 for 4.50. To quote: "Fashioned after Ancient South Sea Island Gods... selected for the hostess who likes the unusual. Tropic tan trimmed with dark brown'.

S

On 2002-04-23 13:08, tikifish wrote:
After all, anything that holds liquid is a cup. But a mug?

All cups hold liquid but all things that hold liquid are not cups.

T

Oh, fine, get all cup-sensitive on my ass.

Ha ha!

When you drink from a stream, is it with cupped hands, or mugged hands?

S

It depends...if I’ve drawn a face on my hands it would be mugged...otherwise cupped.

Well, if a cup is not dependent upon a handle, hence it could be called a mug, can we infer that one could call a catcher's cup a catcher's mug? Could bras (not like the Hawaiian 'hey bra') be measured in mugs as in 'hey, my girlfriend mug size is triple D'?

(please excuse the impertinence)

Tiki Bong

T

On 2002-04-23 13:41, SullTiki wrote:

All cups hold liquid but all things that hold liquid are not cups.

hmmmmm.... I remember a cup I had in eighth grade gym class, it didn't hold any liquid :D

S

hmmmmm.... I remember a cup I had in eighth grade gym class, it didn't hold any liquid :D

I bet it didn't hold much of anything :D

(sorry I couldn't pass on a setup like that)

T

On 2002-04-23 18:17, SullTiki quipped:

I bet it didn't hold much of anything :D

(sorry I couldn't pass on a setup like that)

Ha! Yeah, well not in eighth grade anyway! :D

but you should have seen the MUG I had in NINTH grade!!

I've always had a BOWL with hot lava dribbling from the centre......sorry.....I've probably watched too many 'Carry-On' films (which probably never made the Transatlantic leap. Think Benny Hill with even more double entendres!)

Trader Woody

L

ok, as long as we're talking about tiki DRINKING VESSELS..why are there so many dang Leilanis? isn't it strange when somebody lists one with a starting bid of, say, $24.99? and it doesn't sell...

On 2002-04-24 15:34, Trader Woody wrote:
I've always had a BOWL with hot lava dribbling from the centre......sorry.....I've probably watched too many 'Carry-On' films (which probably never made the Transatlantic leap. Think Benny Hill with even more double entendres!)

Trader Woody

Carry on Cleo!!!
Brilliant stuff. Love the works of Adrian Edmondson and Rik Mayall myself. Dangerous Brothers, Bottom, Filthy-Rich and Catflap, Bad News, and Comic Strip Presents.
Carry on...
TG

M

luau63 wrote:
"ok, as long as we're talking about tiki DRINKING VESSELS..why are there so many dang Leilanis? isn't it strange when somebody lists one with a starting bid of, say, $24.99? and it doesn't sell..."

My understanding is that many of the ubiquitous "Leilanis" were part of a gift package. The buyer received a bottle of rum and 2 mugs. One I have is commonly referred to as "McCoy", supposedly produced by that company. I do know that anyone paying over a few dollars for one or more is silly.

Then again, a Steve Crane Associates version of the Kon Tiki Ports mug, the horrendously ugly one from Boston, went for $100 once on ebay. Very difficult to judge FMV on many mugs from ebay transactions these days.

My collection is fast becoming one of nmy higher valued asets, especially with what the NASDAQ has done in the past two years.

M

If this seller would only come down maybe $10 on that "buy now" price I would be ALL over this lot!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1098051911

But you get FOUR of them! Any takers? Hee hee. Makes even Aloha Cruz look like a bargain. Ahhhh, maybe not. Nobody beats ole Cruz for a price gouge.

Good luck to this guy, but I just bought two "Sneaky Tiki" mugs on ebay last week for...$4.54.

midnite

T

midnite wrote:
"Good luck to this guy, but I just bought two "Sneaky Tiki" mugs on ebay last week for...$4.54."

Congratulations! It's these stories I like to hear. I just bought a Sneaky Tiki mug last week at a local flea market for $3. I tried to talk the guy down to $2 but no dice. $40 each is a joke!

M

I have a question for anyone who can help me identify a strange bowl I just bought....

It's triangular in shape, with slightly rounded corners. About 3 inches deep. The bowl is totally plain except for the three tikis supporting it. They are not at the corners, but rather in the middle of each side. They have slightly pointy heads. The whole thing has a brown matte glaze on it and an OMC gold foil sticker on the bottom.

Anyone ever seen something like this before? Any ideas about what bars it may have been used in?

Thanks team,

-Martin

T

I have two of those bowls. I think Trader Dick's used them for scorpion bowl type of drinks. I also remember seeing them in an old drink menu, as a line drawing, but I can't remember which restaurant. Maybe the Kahiki, but I'm not sure. I've used mine as snack bowls for parties. I also have another of the same design, but with a glossy brown glaze. None have any markings except for the OMC sticker on one.

~ tikigreg

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 243 replies