Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beer Review Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies

hah, freddie, I was hoping someone in the US could pull some strings for me!
Though shipping beer would be a fizzy nighmare. They'd probably explode.

That 4X sounds great, I can't believe I went so long before experiencing the sweet, sweet nectar within these bottles!

MA

After years of "research" I have come to know & love "Pacifico" Mex. beer. I find that it's like Corona but a bit lighter & the lime can be left out if you want. Course,why would you want to! And my fav. "beer on the cheap"? Coors in a can! I know,I know, but it's the only beer I know of that actualy taiste better in a can than it does in a bottle! In fact..... I think I'll just have to go get one! Cheers

TB

On 2006-06-09 07:39, freddiefreelance wrote:
TikiWahine, can you pull some strings in the family & get me some Mackison's 4X? It's supposed to be another Milk Stout like the Triple Stout, just a little richer and a little higher ABV.

Damn, ive never seen Makison's 4X, I trade you for a Rogue Ale?

TBird.

M

Murphy's Irish Stout...

BUMP! TikiBird, the Stone 10th Anniversary tickets went on sale today, Morning & Afternoon Session tickets are $25 each at the Stone (On Line) Company Store. No tickets are available at the physical Stone Store in Escondito, and there's no Will Call option so you'll have to pay shipping. I've already gotten a pair of Morning Session tickets for me & my wife.

TB

FFL, thanks for the heads up, just purchased morning session tics myself! Will see you there!

TBIrd.

Stone Brewing 10th Anniverary is tomorrow! I should be easy to spot, wandering around with a beer in my hand in a Creamsicle Orange Aloha shirt, Green shorts, and Fuscia & Green Chuck Taylors.

Has everyone printed out their maps? You have to come in the back way, and you won't find the road on any maps, so print Thisone. TikiBird & Utopian Dream, I'm talking to you!

Printed, prepped & packed! We'll see you there!

The Great Canadian Beer Festival is tomorrow, and I'll be there at noon sharp. Happy drinking everyone!

The Liver is Evil and Must be Punished

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-09-14 11:22 ]

It was a grand day indeed. That's me with the hook necklace.

TB

A new ale i tried at the StoneFest last week...

A special top-fermenting ale yeast is used during fermentation and is responsible for many of Liberty Ale's subtle flavors and characteristics. Carbonation is produced by an entirely natural process called "bunging," which produces champagne-like bubbles. Dry-hopping (adding fresh hops to the brew during aging), imparts a unique aroma to the ale. It is a process rarely used in this country today.

Don't you all wish you lived in SD?

While I love Duvel, My Favorite beer is also belgian in nature, Lindeman's Kriek...with a very sweet cherry taste, Excellent for those Bruxelles prix fix meals
on Rue des Bouchers. Damn I'm hungry for escargot and steak au pouive now...

Newcastle, Corona, Tequiza are my favorites....but then again, there are many brewskies I have never tired. I do prefer dark beers....and would rather be parched than drink from a can. Not fond of warm beer, I like it cold much better.

Full Sail (Typically known for Ales) makes a very good retro lager. This beer is perfect for the wamer weather months It's all barley, and super clean. The beer is throw-back to pre-prohibition American beers. (Prohibition era beers often use cheap ingridants like corn, which has since become a cost standard stand-by of most breweries)

Session comes in an 11 oz grenade bottle with a puzzle cap...but don't get this confused with Lucky Lager...this stuff is exceptional, and very well made.

http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/session.cfm

Another fantastic but hard to find ale include

Brouwerij 't IJ from Holland. They have an ostrich on the label and are full of those esters that warm fermented Belgian Style ales are known for.

Mort Subite (Sudden Death)are also quaffable and fine examples of this style.

Golden Monkey Ale (from Victory in Pennsyvania) is a well made US belgian style worth trying..fine stuff

And if you like hops, don't miss Moylan's Hopsickle Imperial IPA, and Marin Brewing Co's "White Knuckle IPA" White knuckle is superb, but is in the secondary fermenter for many weeks, and thus it costs quite a lot to produce, just in lost output. If you see it, grab it.

The owners of these two breweries is big into fundrasing for Cancer. there is a splendid benfit (write off) each summer where for 25.00 you can have as many IPAs as you wish. Usually Stones Brewery is there, Pliney the Elder and Pliney Younger, Racer 5...lot's of BIG HOPS.

If Green Flash shows up...it will pretty much be hop heaven!

TB

Here's another limited edition ale from Kona Brewing Co. that we found at Hi-Time to give a try...Wailua Wheat

TBird.

Do you love drinking beer from a can? Me too! Recently tried DALE'S PALE ALE. HOPS OVERLOAD! Its taste seems to provoke extreme reactions in people. They either love it or hate it. I'm in the former category and enjoy its hoppiness, a very distinct flavor. More bitter than sweet and sorta drives home the point that you're drinking BEER. Also, the can fits nicely into my riding-mower cup holder, the only acceptable excuse for drinking and driving.

Beer in a can..arrgghhhhhhh

Anyone going to the London Beer Festival this summer?

On 2007-05-18 03:44, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Beer in a can..arrgghhhhhhh

Anyone going to the London Beer Festival this summer?

Is this now your yearly post? :)

By the way people, Trader Vics in london now stocks Hinano.

Drink beer at Trader Vic's..... that's just wrong!

It's hard to find good beer in cans, there is no reason it's that way, it's an association similar to real cork and good wine. That sure makes another choice besides Guinness for camping trips.

Any idea what hops are used? Is it like Sierra and Red Seal (cascade) or something more wood-like in character? I have not seen this in California, but have seen a canned ale from Washington called Tailwagger Pale which I will try soon.

Thanks for the post Thunderlips.

Last night I tried a White Ale from Allagash Brewery in Portland, Maine at the Beachwood BBQ @ Seal Beach Main St.

Available in: 12 oz and 750 ml bottles, 15.5 and 5.17 gal kegs
ABV: 5.0%
Original Gravity: 1048
Recommended Serving Temp: 34°F to 50°F

Was a great tasting ale, give it a try! For more info about Allagash goto...
http://www.allagash.com/home.htm

P.S. Beachwood BBQ was a great find of a brewing buddy of mine. For a small BBQ joint they have great microbrews that are somewhat hard to find. There seasonal drafts ales on tap now are Smoked Porter from Stone Brewery in San Diego, My Bloody Valentine from Alesmith in San Diego, I.P.A from Craftsman in Pasadena, Late Afternoon Brown from Moonlight in Santa Rosa, Rye-PA from Brewbakers in Huntington Beach, Hop 15 from Pizza Port in San Diego, Calico Amber from Ballast Point in San Diego, Reality Czeck Pils from Moonlight, Santa Rosa, & X from Alesmith in San Diego. For more info goto http://beachwoodbbq.com/

This got me to thinking, what other places have great ales on draft? Let me know!

TBird.

MT

On 2007-05-14 00:03, Gigantalope wrote:
Full Sail (Typically known for Ales) makes a very good retro lager. This beer is perfect for the wamer weather months It's all barley, and super clean. The beer is throw-back to pre-prohibition American beers. (Prohibition era beers often use cheap ingridants like corn, which has since become a cost standard stand-by of most breweries)

Session comes in an 11 oz grenade bottle with a puzzle cap...but don't get this confused with Lucky Lager...this stuff is exceptional, and very well made.

http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/session.cfm

Hey Gigantalope,
I had to make a run to BevMo today, and I decided to try this one. They only sold it in a case of 12, so I picked up one. Now the pressure is on - it better be good! :D

In Huntington Beach, CA. you can brew your own beer at a place called Brewbakers http://www.brewbakers1.com/. The cool thing about this place is they teach you how to brew beer, why certain ingredients are in beer and why they bottle it in a green bottle, brown bottle or a can. I was told that drinking out of a can would take away the beer flavor and add a tin flavor to it. As far as the hops go it adds the bitterness to the beer. Personally, my favorite beer is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

Tikiratt: Those places are okay for getting started, and building a bit of self assurance, but most beginners don't know flaws from unusual tastes and are often turned off. Very often there is a problem of yeast contamination, and places where bacteria can contaminate beer.

I buy quite a lot of supplies from the Reno Home Brewer. Great prices even with the UPS fees.
http://www.renohomebrewer.com/

You can get a pretty basic starter kit on your own, and brew a batch of extract Sierra knock-off for @ 35.00 for 5 gallons. (You can even buy the recipe, cascade hops and sierra yeast which used to be Y-yeast 1035, but has several other names)

Still, if you like what you're making, that's great!

Also...try as many beers as you can and take notes describing flavors, that's a great way to learn.

MT

Hey Gigantalope!
I saved the Session beer for Mr. Smiley's bachelor party, which was just a couple of days ago. Everyone drank it all up, I was lucky to get one myself! It was good!!!

T

Hey Ben,

Got a job at Mr. Kegs. Damn I love that place.

Tikitatt

TB

Just a reminder....

TBird.

TBird, that Stone Epic sounds too good to pass up. Mrs. Wreck has had me on a strict diet lately (Corona LIGHT) but I might have to slip this saturday for some o' that heavenly nectar.

TB

Happy to announce that my wife Utopiandreem entered 2 fruit meads that she homebrewed for the OC fair. The 1st was a pomergranate mead & the 2nd was a passion fruit mead. We found out that she won the Blue ribbon for the pomergranate & a white ribbon for the passion fruit.

TBird.

TB
T

Ahhh, Bushman's...

Wanna try this Vertical stuff (hopelessly unavailable to a Vancouverite unfortunately). Hope it's not just for buying and sticking in a vault...

On 2007-07-18 19:32, twitch wrote:
Wanna try this Vertical stuff (hopelessly unavailable to a Vancouverite unfortunately). Hope it's not just for buying and sticking in a vault...

Time for a bootleg run to Blaine.
My Kanukistani friends say Her Majesty owns all the liquor stores in Canada. A $3US bottle of Stone would cost about $10US in Canada.

TB

Heads Up...

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8th:
SESSION A: 11:00am-2:00pm
SESSION B: 2:45pm-5:45pm

The Date is announced and confirmed! Saturday, September 8th is the official date of the Stone 11th Anniversary Celebration & Invitational Beer Festival. Mark your calendars.

OK, the next question is when will tickets go on sale? The answer is, not for a few weeks yet, but in PLENTY of time in advance of the event. Why? Because while we can confidently announce the date, there are still a number of technical details we feel we should get in the bag before we start the ticket sales. Call it our conservative side (didn't think we had one, did you?).

So, mark the calendars, adjust the travel schedule and keep the email Inbox open for the announcement of tickets going on sale for Session A and Session B soon.

TBird.

Great British Beer Festival is on at Earl's Court. Starts Wednesday thro' to Saturday (I think).

See you there on Thursday. or should that be Thirstday? (what a wit!)

TB

On 2007-08-03 13:27, Tiki Bird wrote:
Heads Up...

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8th:
SESSION A: 11:00am-2:00pm
SESSION B: 2:45pm-5:45pm

I'm showin up for the morning session, then heading to pizza port for more!

TBird.

TB

Got to try some beers at the beerfest from....

Tried these...

which won the North American Brewers' Association - 2007 Gold Medal
&

which won the 2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal Winner / Herb and Spice Category & the San Diego Craft Brewer's Competition & Festival - 2007 Gold Medal
My friends & I really liked this won alot & picked it best of the fest.
For more info goto.. http://www.mauibrewingco.com/

TBird.

Looks like the porter is now available on the mainland:
Maui Brewing Co. in California

Anybody tried Drake's Pilsner. Okay I admit it, I bought it mostly cuz of the packaging. But if it really does keep scurvy away.................ARRRRGH! Found it at BevMo.

I lobe this bree. Never have I tasted a fersher bree ot ofa bottel. I swear it poored like a keg bree. Try it, you won be appointed. mmmmmmmmm. I'm cerius. Jus can't speel.

http://www.miltonbrewery.co.uk/beers/tiki.html
I haven't tried it yet though.

J

On 2008-11-02 17:33, Jungle Trader wrote:
Anybody tried Drake's Pilsner. Okay I admit it, I bought it mostly cuz of the packaging. But if it really does keep scurvy away.................ARRRRGH! Found it at BevMo.

Scurvy away?!? Please don't tell me you're squeezing lime or orange into it like a Corona or Blue Moon!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 218 replies