Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Announcing the First Annual Zombie Taste-Off at Tiki Oasis IV!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

M

Aloha to all!

It's time to decide: Which Zombie is king?

Here's my idea: Each mixology team will choose one of the many recipes/attempts to duplicate the Zombie and bring all the ingredients necessary to produce 5-10 of their drink. Each team will present their drink in small tasting glasses and people will sample each one and rate them on slips of paper. Votes will be tallied and the favorite formula will be announced. Remember that this is not a contest between mixologists, but rather a contest of recipes to see which Zombie is the overall crowd pleasing champ. We can do this on Saturday at Oasis, maybe late afternoon. I'll offer my room, or maybe we can find a bigger space at Caliente Tropics. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

What do people think? I'm just in the planning stages, so let me have some feedback. (I can see SCDs bullet-points already.) Don't worry about not choosing your favorite recipe- it's just about trying as many as possible. So don't feel bad about picking some "Shag Party" Zombie recipe or something.

Post to this thread your team name and which recipe you'll be bringing. DON'T commit to this unless you'll be there and will bring everything you need for your recipe.

I'll get the ball rolling: Team Martiki will be presenting the Don The Beachcomber Zombie from Intoxica. Think your recipe can stand up to the challenge? Bring it on!

Martiki, you got something here! Great idea. I'll be there with my tongue and taste buds intact. Let me figure out which recipe to present. Just please don't schedule this bonanza during The Maikai Gents' set!

-Iuka G.

S

It could get a little costly. Why not keep the crowd down a little and ask a dollar or three to taste and vote? Then divide all the money amongst the mixers to cut their costs. Imagine if your recipe calls for El Dorado 12 year and Lemon Hart 151 and so on. Or get Otto in on it and get a time and space and make it a full on competition with money prizes. I don't know. I just like to see such things be subsidized for those making drinks, and at a low cost so people can try and everyone is happy.

I'm in for $5 as a taster. I can't promise I'll be coherent by the end, but I'll slur some kind of recommendation after a few tastes...mmmmmmm pineapply, yummmy....ssssgoooodddddd, burp. YEAH! YOU GOT ANY CHIPS, MAN????

I have a $100, no make it $200, betting that Mrs. Pinapple will make it past the 10th round of tasting.
Most of you will be gone by the 5th.
You kick ass Mrs. P ! :)

DZ

On 2004-04-12 11:28, martiki wrote:

Team Martiki will be presenting the Don The Beachcomber Zombie from Intoxica. Think your recipe can stand up to the challenge? Bring it on!

Well, that's the one I woulda used...

But there are other Zombie recipes you say? Hmmm...

This is going to be an interesting contest!

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2004-04-13 01:14 ]

M

Well, we've already had two threads discussing the various Zombie recipes:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=3892&forum=1

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=727&forum=1&start=0

There's gotta be at least seven or more out there. I know I've got these versions:

-Intoxica by Jeff Berry
-Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink -1946
-Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide -1947 (same)
-Tiki Drinks by Adam Rocke
-The World's Best Bartenders' Guide by Scott/Bain
-Hawai'i Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine by Don The Beachcomber by Bitner/Beach
-The Bartender's Guide by Peter Bohrmann
-The New New York Barternder's Guide by Sally Ann Berk
-and of course The Grog Log by Jeff Berry

Swanky, you raise some valid concerns, but here's my thinking. I don't want to open this tasting up to all of the Oasis guests. That would be madness, and I know (all too well) how people get when there's free booze. It would also require each person to buy a lot of booze to feed that many people. This is by TC members for TC members. If you make five regular Zombies, then pour them into tasting sized samples, you'd get about 30 tasters. That would probably be enough for this, and would use maybe 5-8 ounces of a Lemon Hart 151 for example, leaving you with plenty of extra. (Extra Lemon Hart has never been a problem for me). So you'll go home with most of your investment. I also don't want to offer a cash prize, because while mixology skills are required, the contest is about the drink, not who makes it. Each team could put out a tip jar which would offset the costs somewhat. I guess I just want to keep this a little on the small side and not make a big deal out of it- martiki's taking a break from big event planning for a bit, and needs this vacation to work through some SF Crawl PTSD issues.

But...none of this will much matter if no one else signs up for the contest, so let's see some names soon. Remember, the object is to offer as many different recipes as possible. Don't feel like you have to offer your favorite. In fact, some of the lesser known recipes have fewer and less expensive ingredients.

mahalo!

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Well, I've already started collecting booze for the Oasis, so I'm ready willing and able to volunteer to be a "mixologist" and/or "team player", etc. for this event.

I'm in for whatever is decided in terms of volunters, participants, etc., this sounds great!

Humm...any ladies up for an all girl team? "The Sarong Sistas"

[ Edited by: cheekygirl on 2004-04-13 19:20 ]

[ Edited by: cheekygirl on 2004-04-13 20:41 ]

I have an idea. Get the teams together and mix it up! Then, have all the vendors do the sampling. I'm sure you will all get better deals on products if "they're all buzzed!" Like noon time!

M

Well, the "great idea" has yielded 0 teams so far, so here's the last bump up the thread before I call this off.

we'll just crawl to room 211 and drink all your booze then. Oh wait, we'd have done that anyway...

we're putting a tip jar in our room for AIDS ride pledges. It's a secret what you'll get for your tips though....

Great Idea! I'm in. I'll either mix my own recipe or I'll pick one of the others. Gotta find my copies of Grog Log and Intoxica. I also have a bottle of Laird's Applejack (horrid stuff!) that I can bring along.

Martiki! Damn! This is a great idea I don't want it to go by the wayside. I'm an organizational freak, so I offer my services, help, etc. Here's my idea which I respectfully offer:

Zombie Recipes

Someone that has access and/or has Zombie recipes: Please type them out and post them--ingredients and all.

Teams

Anyone interested please 1) post and confirm that you will be a Team Leader and chose several friends to help with the mixing--prior to the event. A recipe should be assigned by the Event Coordinator, and the team should bring all necessary ingredients.

Judges

If you'd like to be a judge, post that you want to be a judge. The Event Coordinator will write down all the submissions, pull names from a hat and inform the lucky winners.

Costs

There were a couple of suggestions about cost absorption on this thread. I know you can't sell booze without a license, but a donation or entry fee should be okay. Everyone should probably pay a reasonable amount, say $5 including judges and people who want to sample--all the entries. Teams can give an estimated cost expense and proceeds can be divided fairly accordingly--some items are more expensive than others.

Event Coordinator/Coordination

1. confirm participation of judges (who & how many
  2. confirm participation of team/team leaders (who & how many)
  3. randomly assign recipes to team leaders (since this is not a contest, it shouldn't matter what team is making what)
  4. choose time and location for the event 5) Post and/or announce and/or make flyers as notification of event
  5. provide and/or assign someone to:
    a) bring chips/crackers for judges to cleanse palates between taste tests
    b) if necessary arrange for folding tables or other mixing surface
    c) identification tags and/or hats for Official Judges
    d) prepare score sheets and bring pen & penclis for Judges
    e) plastic cups for samples (suggest 6 oz cups -- for 3 oz samples
    f) identification labels for drinks (suggest color coding dots)
    g)assign someone to collect $5 for those participating & to reimburse mixing teams fairly

Of course, as you've mentioned none of this is possible without volunteers to judge/teams and submit recipes.

Well, that's my 5 bucks worth. I'm willing to put my moola where my mouth is and 1) be a team leader 2) bring a 6" table, if deemed necessary and/or help with whatever is required Martiki!

Sorry about being long-winded....but I think this would be great fun!

I just saw how long-winded I was up there -- someone hit me in a head with a rock!

On 2004-04-16 10:32, martiki wrote:
Well, the "great idea" has yielded 0 teams so far, so here's the last bump up the thread before I call this off.

Maybe because it's a little like Tiger Woods asking everyone if they're up for a round of golf.

I know it's supposed to be a contest of recipes and not mixing skills, but I, for one, am much too humble and shy to parade my pathetic mixology "skills" in front of The Amazing Martiki. Maybe if I were drunk first.....wait, is there a drinking contest before yours I can be a judge at?

On 2004-04-16 19:11, CheekyGirl wrote:
I just saw how long-winded I was up there -- someone hit me in a head with a rock!

Duck! :)

In anticipation of this taste-off, I did my own small impromptu taste-off this evening. I mixed two Zombies, one each of the Grog Log recipe and my own. Tasting side by side, I have to say that I like my own a lot better. I had some friends taste them as well in a blind test. Everyone picked mine over the Grog Log recipe as well. I am just happy I can still type. It's not easy.

Anyway, I am going to give the Tonga Zombie from Intoxica a try. I'll mix either that one or mine for the taste-off.

Back to drinking.

Ouch--that's gonna leave a mark. I'm starting to feel like Mary Magdalene here.

Oh well, great idea anyhow, if this gets rolling, I'm willing to help....

T

Ok- I'm definitely in as a team member- or I'll mix a recipe myself, if I have to...
I'm just starting out as a drink mixologist, so I'd like to do one of the easier (read shorter) recipes (although the one Al posted looks awesome!)

Here's some from the internet:

From Digital Bartender:
http://www.digitalbartender.com/mixed-drink/mixed_drinks/Zombie

BarMeister.com:
http://www.barmeister.com/cgi-bin/drink.view.pl?drink=1706

DrinkNation.com:
http://www.drinknation.com/drink/Zombie

Drinkalizer.com:
http://www.drinkalizer.com/drinks/zombie.php

ExtremeBartending.com:
http://www.extremebartending.com/index.php/page/drinks/drinkid/359

DigsMagazine.com:
http://www.digsmagazine.com/drinkrecipes/drink_zombie.htm

DrinksMixer.com:
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink2588.html

DrinkStreet.com:
http://www.drinkstreet.com/searchresults.cgi?drinkid=261&drinkname=category:22

SliceOfRomance.com:
http://www.sliceofromance.com/zombie.html

DrinkOfTheWeek.com
http://www.drinkoftheweek.com/archive/z/zombie.htm

BarSchool.com
http://www.barschool.com/recipes/YZ/zombie.htm

HotWired.com:
http://hotwired.wired.com/cocktail/blender/recipes/zombie.html

Rox.com:
http://rox.com/drinx/zombie/

DrinkBoy.com
http://www.drinkboy.com/Cocktails/recipes/Zombie.html

ThatsTheSpirit.com:
http://www.thatsthespirit.com/en/drinks/recipe.asp?recipe_id=1756

Talk about variation!! :D

H

I'd be happy to help with logistics, pouring & handing out little cups, whatever makes sense. I'm too rusty to tackle the actual mixing, but I'm ready & willing to pitch in to make it happen! Just give me a task or two or three and I'll get it done.

I think your plan is awesome CheekyGirl, and you should run with it. Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Martiki, I think this sounds like fun!

M

Well...

It looks like we've got four confirmed teams and two maybes.
Iuka Grogg (?)
Doctor Z (?)
martiki
CheekyGirl
PiPhiRo
TikiHula

I think that's enough teams to go forward with something.

CheekyGirl, I really appreciate you help and enthusiasm with this. I like your ideas, but we're talking about two different things here. If you wanted to go forward with your plan, I say great- but you'll need to get Otto's (and the Tropics')OK on this because A) you're talking about a major event and B) because you'll want him to promote it in the materials and find a time to schedule it appropriately against other events. However, I have a feeling that this might be a little late in the game to spring something this size on Otto. I also think that the Tropics might not be too excited about an event that offers abundant low cost liquor and cuts into the profits of The Reef Bar. (I know, I know- everyone has booze in their rooms as it is, but this would be institutionalized). I also think you'll need more teams than there are above.

Like I said, I envision a small, TC only event. Also, for an event on the scale I'm talking about, I don't want judges. Everyone's vote counts. Just a piece of paper, rate it one through ten, and put it in an envelope marked with the name of the drink. Then the drink with the highesst average score wins. I think all teams and anyone who tastes should be able to vote (except for teams voting for their own drink). All I need are pens, paper, envelopes, and dixie cups. And a "coalition of the willing".

Again, we've got two different events here. If folks want to run with CheekyGirl's idea, that's great- no harm, no foul. It will be up to CheeekyGirl to handle how she fits. I'll still happily bring my ingredients and participate in mixing, but I gotta be honest: that's it for my commitment. I expect to be drunk for about 72 hours straight, and as I mentioned, my interest in event planning during this weekend is practically zilch.

So Cheeky...everyone...what do you want to do? I'll happily go along either way. Just say the word.

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-04-19 16:25 ]

H

Oh, yeah, I suppose Martiki's right, it needs to be kept small n' simple, and most importantly he needs to be kept drinking. It's important that he obliterate as many brain cells as possible so that come next year, he forgets how difficult it is to organize the SF Crawl and doesn't flinch at doing it all over again....

I volunteer to handle last-minute scrambling... if anyone is missing a needed ingredient, I'll run out to pick it up, or I'll grab TCers and let them know It's Time when It's Time, and I'll hand out scraps of paper and make sure there are pens on hand. I can cut limes or something, too.

DZ

The Good Doctor is definitely going to enter the fray!

Thanks to a tip from Alnshely, "Team Z" will be mixin' the Zombie from Hawai'i, Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine by Don the Beachcomber. Unless, of course, Al (or TikiHula) is going to enter that one, in which case I'll simply pick another...

Martiki - what size 'sample' drinks are we talking about here, btw? The recipe above calls for a 14 oz glass, and I'd rather not mix up 10 drinks of that size (too 'spensive!). Think I can get by on 3 or 4?

And as far as who will be judging/sampling: I second CheekyGirl's idea about having a lottery. Have anyone interested write their name on a slip of paper (or better yet, a dollar bill) and drop it into a hat or whatever, and at some point before the 'event', we'll simply have a drawing and select the judges.

Don't log on for a day or so and wow! Well, it looks like the Taste Test is on! Awesome!

I wasn't thinking--don't want to step on the Caliente Tropic's toes or anyone else. Maybe we can do this informally in someone's room, or outside the room. If anyone thinks we still need the 6 foot folding table for mixing, etc.--I'll bring that–we can just set up outside the designated room. I just got all excited--that's all. Big Ideas--Pea Sized Brain.

If it's kept small--costs won't be too much of a problem--the buck thing Doc Z suggested sounds good. And everyone else that is sampling throw in a buck and fill out a separate "People's Choice Ballot" I'll bring ballots, stapler and stapler remover. Or am I getting too complication--AGAIN! We can figure out a fair reimbursement thingy--I'll bring my calculator and a half-sober brain. (Just an idea)

As far as size of the drinks–how does 6 oz? Sound? Whatever is decided–I’ll bring plastic cups–lots! I think I had just planned on making up 6 oz. drinks and then pouring it into a great big pitcher.

And I guess, we can just spread the word to Tcer's about this. Looks like all we need to do is pick a time and place--and they will come.

I've got a recipe from my old bartending days-in Indiana--that my team can mix up up.

Go Team Cheeky!!!!

T

I'm gonna represent the web and choose one of the recipes I posted links to above. Should be fun.

My two cents is to not have official judges, but just let people wander by and pick up a cup, taste (dixie cup size?), and then write a score (1-5) on a piece of paper and put it in a box for that drink. Then add up the scores for that drink recipe and see what the standings are. Run it sort of like a wine tasting...

TB

On 2004-04-22 09:45, TikiHula wrote:
I'm gonna represent the web and choose one of the recipes I posted links to above. Should be fun.

My two cents is to not have official judges, but just let people wander by and pick up a cup, taste (dixie cup size?), and then write a score (1-5) on a piece of paper and put it in a box for that drink. Then add up the scores for that drink recipe and see what the standings are. Run it sort of like a wine tasting...

ditto

t-bird

"ZOMBIE" RECIPE ca. 1935

Not to add to the confusion, but below is an interesting recipe variation taken from "The Gentleman's Companion, Volume II Exotic Drink Book" by Charles H. Bakers Jr., 1939. This is one of my favorite drink publications as I am partial to the early post-Prohibition recipes when folks added a little something to their liquor. The two volumes are a combination of travelogue and recipe book which are written in an interesting, rambling style.

I have edited the first half of the recipe dealing with the Zombie creature as it goes on for the entire page!

"AN EXOTIC COCONUT-COGNAC COCKTAIL from CAP HAITIEN, REPUBLIC de HAITI, and is Called the ZOMBIE*

Enriched coconut milk, see below, 1 1/2 cups or so
Cognac, 3 jiggers
Maraschino, 2 ponies
Angostura, 2 or 3 dashes
Very Finely cracked or shave ice

Put in shaker with lots of very finely cracked ice, shake hard and turn ice and all - a' la Daiquiri - into small, chilled goblets...Another variation, and much better flavoured one we find, is found by using only 2 jiggers cognac, and one jigger old Haitian-or other medium dark-rum.

Enriched coconut milk: get a ripe coconut anywhere. Bore two holes in the eyes and drain out water into saucepan-being careful to strain out fibers or bits of shell...Crack open nut, peel off brown outer skin from kernel, and either grate, grind, or cut up fine and add to water...Fetch to a simmer for five minutes. Put through fine cloth, squeezing out the rich cream by hand. Ripe fresh coconuts can be hand in most good grocery stores these days...Those possessing The Blender will save an incredible amount of time by cutting up kernel, with brown part unremoved, into the top container of The Blender; turn in the coconut juice. Reduce to a pulp at high speed for 1 minute, then rub through a very fine sieve, or strain through several thicknesses of cloth...CLINICAL NOTE: Quite recently not a few coconut cream drink-aids have come to light. Merely mix up any required amount to richness approaching that of honest Grade A milk.

*It may be of some mild interest to our Lodge of Amiable Amateur Mixers that the Zombie formula set on this page was put to paper in the fall of '35: whereas the high-proof so-called Zombie known to most bar men did not raise it's dizzy head until two years, or better, later. Author."

M

On 2004-04-22 09:48, Tiki Bird wrote:

On 2004-04-22 09:45, TikiHula wrote:

Drinks: 3 oz each maximum. If you drank six ounces each of seven Zombies, you'd be half-fucked. Definitely little office-water-cooler-dixie cups. It would be nice if they were in glasses with garnishes for proper aroma, but let's be real about cleanup and practicality.

Scoring: Again- no judges. And scoring 1-5 makes sense, but the score has to be an average, not a sum total. Some drinks, for whatever reason, may not get voted on, so it's not fair if they lose out to a lower rated drink with more slips of paper. Plus, if you've got a drink that gets votes for 5 5 4 5 and 3, a score of 4.4 out of 5 makes more sense to me than a 22.

Yes, I think the 6 ft. folding table would be a good idea.

This will have to be in someone's room. First step is to see if there is anyone reading this who has a suite that they would be willing to open for the contest. One hour, leave no mess behind. Anyone?

Thanks!

..along with the zombie contest, I was thinking how about having a room bar crawl. How many rooms are there? 200 or so? How many participants will be mixing drinks in their rooms anyway? those that want to could set up a "bar" outside or in their room and mix up their favorite/best drink and give out free samples. This would also be a good way for everyone to meet and greet and sample a variety.

M

Tiki Rider- that pretty much happens casually anyway. watch for open doors and people inside.

Martiki,

Alright, alright, I'll except your offer to pay me a large sum to be the Director of Tasting. I will donate my (what's left of) unused brain cells to the project as taste tester.

(all mix teams please be advised that I do except all monetary bribes as well as sexual favors (unless I'm busy with Baxdog))

Martiki, looks like this is being set in motion.

I'll bring the 3 oz. tasting cups; and the 6' table and box for ballots. I can make up voting/scoring ballots as soon as it is decided what's best.

As far as a site for the event, I'll have to talk to JRTiki about volunteering our room. I don't know if I have an upper or lower room yet, I think a lower room would best suit the event.

Atomic, as I'm not dead set on a recipe yet-let's talk!

On another note -- the drink crawl to the room soons like fun too -- could be another thread.

CheekyGirl wrote:
Atomic, as I'm not dead set on a recipe yet-let's talk!

Feel free to use it as I will not be:

1. Standing
  2. Sitting
  3. Coherent

On 2004-04-22 10:15, martiki wrote:
One hour, leave no mess behind. Anyone?

:lol:

Uh-huh... I hour ......
leave no mess ..... Uh-huh....

M

Pop Ylop is such a bitch.

O

Another "social" group we belong to had a best drink contest at a fundraiser. They charged $2 to anyone who wanted to be a "judge". The judge was given a token (or raffle ticket) to be placed in the ballot box of the drink they liked best. At the end, the tokens were counted and the participant with the most tokens won.
It may be easier to count tokens than to do math to come up with an average.
Just my two coconuts worth.

I even have lots of raffle tickets I'd be willing to donate.
:drink:

[ Edited by: OnaTiki on 2004-04-23 17:22 ]

B

Hey everyone!

I haven't really kept up on this thread but I mentioned it to Otto this morning and he didn't know about it so I thought I would read all about it.

First of all I think this Zombie Mix-Off is a fun idea and these kinds of guerrilla events is what makes Tiki Oasis such a blast of a weekender!

I wanted to point out that one thing Otto created this year is special 'Guest Bartenders' in the Reef Bar for Saturday afternoon/night. Just another way to encourage people to stop by the Reef bar and support the Caliente tropics. This year the Purple Orchid is also playing a role in making sure the bar is a success and we are proud to have them on our team!

Soooo I have not noticed WHEN people were thinking about having the Zombie Drink Contest?? I wanted to throw out an idea .....why not have this drink contest on Friday night after 10pm? Of course this would have to take place in a room as no outside alcohol can be brought into the Reef or the Tropics Swimming area. The cool thing about doing it on Friday is that:
The winner could be a guest bartender on Saturday night! They could serve the winning recipe for one hour! Awww the glamour! The fame! The tips!

Of course Otto would have to ok all of this -but it is a fun idea!

I confess I didn't read all the e-mails in detail so I am not sure where you are all at with this but this is just a great way to give a reward to EVERYONE who attends the Oasis and will help the Reef out as well!

XOXO Baby Doe

Martiki, Okay, looks like everything has been set in motion. As a recap, looks like we have 5 teams. I once again, tip my hat to you--great idea! This is my recap of this thread:

Teams: 1) Martiki 2) Dr. Z 3) Cheeky Girl 4) PiPhiRo 5) Tiki Hula

Drinks: 3 oz. samples

Scoring: No judges, everyone judges. Scoring drinks given points of 1-5, drink with highest average wins.

Location: I offer my room as the taste test location--as soon as I know what room I've been assigned, I'll let everyone know.

I will bring a 6' folding table; cups, and score sheets. I'll bring a large garbage bag for the trash too.

Drinks/Mixing: This is something I suggest. Pre-making drinks in large pitcher (we are using one of those "sun tea" containers) enough for 20-25 samples. If we need more, we can make them as we go. I'll have an ice chest handy to keep containers cool--for any other teams that want to pre-make drinks. In fact, I whole-heartedly suggest we do so.

Drink Distribution: I suggest giving everyone that wants to join in the taste test a plate with all 5 samples (I have plates I can bring too) In that way, everyone can sip and score at their leisure. We can simply refererence the cups with a black marker.

Money: I'm confused as to what was decided?

Time: Martiki, pick a time and we will be there. I'll have the table set up at least 1/2 prior for the teams.

As far as Baby Doe suggestions, I'm for whatever everyone thinks is best. I'll go along with whatever is decided.

Go Team Cheeky!

M

OK. Sounds good, Cheeky.

Location: Cheeky, thanks for offering your room. Call the reservations people at Caliente and try to get a preassigned room number in advance. We'll need to see it posted here by Tuesday the 4th.

Drink Distribution: Plates are OK, but it might just be easier to get one at a time. Do we need plain crackers and water between drinks, or is that just absurd?

Money: Each team should have a tip jar out. Let's keep it simple. Guests should bring singles! Lots of singles! Or fives.

Time: Well, I've been looking at the schedule and trying not to interfere with anything. I like Doe's suggestion of late Friday, but I'd push it a little later so that people can see the costume contest. Let's call it 11:00 PM on Friday.

Doe, that's a neat idea about the bartending slot, but this contest is about the drink, not the mixologist. I don't want this event to be about who is the better mixer. It's just a recipe contest.

Thanks everyone!

Martiki, called Caliente Tropics & they were nice enough to give me my assigned room number!

FIRST ANNUAL ZOMBIE TASTE-OFF - OASIS IV.

DATE : FRIDAY, MAY 7th
TIME : 11:00 P.M.
PLACE: ROOM 141

![](c:\Documents and Settings\NRodriguez\My Documents\Clip Art\2hulagirls.JPG)

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl on 2004-04-27 19:35 ]

B

Would the 'winners' be interested in posting the winning recipe? Or will it be a secret?

Might be fun to post a photo of the group with the best recipe in the Reef bar. Or if it is not about the mixologist maybe post the best recipe?

Anyhoo it might be fun to share with others and get the Tiki Central community to grow even BIGGER!

XOXO Baby Doe

M

Great work CheekyGirl. Thanks.

I think we're just about set here.

Doe: You bet we'll post the recipe! No secret at all!

T

On 2004-04-27 08:02, martiki wrote:

Money: Each team should have a tip jar out. Let's keep it simple. Guests should bring singles! Lots of singles! Or fives.

Wait 'til you see my tip jar! :D

T

Ok. I've decided to do the DrinkNation.com recipe- gonna taste test it this weekend....hope I'm still alive Monday :wink:

M

On 2004-04-29 13:45, TikiHula wrote:

On 2004-04-27 08:02, martiki wrote:

Wait 'til you see my tip jar! :D

It's not the size of your tip jar that counts, it's how you use it.

Martiki, I'm posting them the drink entries, just so there's no duplication.

1. Team Martiki = Don the Beachcombers's recipe

2. Team Z = Hawaii' Tropics & Rum Drink & Cuisine recipe

3. Team Tiki Hula = Drink Nation

4. Team Cheeky = Old Indiana Recipe (I checked out the recipes and noticed mine is kind of like the Extreme Bartending Recipe & Digital Bartender recipe combined)

5. PiPhiRo -- ???? If you've decided, let us all know!

![](Documents and Settings\NRodriguez\My Documents\Clip Art\HulaCow.JPG)

Go Team Cheeky!

Okay, I couldn't resist..."that's what people with small tip jars say"

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl on 2004-04-29 20:48 ]

P

I can't find my copies of Grog Log and Intoxica to sav my life. The Playboy recipe just looks boring. So I'll mix my own. I think it holds up pretty well. I'll bring my bottle of Lairds Applejack along, too.

DZ

After consultation with Martiki and an evening of mixin' & samplin' with Johnnie Velour, I have come to the conclusion that the recipe I'd originally chosen is, well, not appropriate for this contest (no offense Al!) It's a mite on the strong side, I'd say: more than 6 oz of alcohol (including Absinthe!) balanced by less than 3 oz. of mixer. It really takes some getting used to the flavor (read: toxicity), and that's not going to go over well in a 3 oz. sample. I tried to tweak it in a couple of ways, but it's just not going to happen.

But have no fear! After aforementioned mix-sample-fest with JV, we've come up with a much more palatable recipe, so Team Z is switching to a slight modification of the one from ThatsTheSpirit.com. See you Friday!

Question: If I remember, the Tropics rooms have refrigerators, but are there ice machines? We're gonna need a lot this weekend...

Pages: 1 2 62 replies