Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 10:51 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-01-23 22:47 ]

J

I really dig the lamp and the Coco Joe's tiki - you do some nice work!

B

LakeSurfers Lookin Good. You are getting some Nice finishes to your great work.
I know what you mean about the Moai'. They Look too simple to spend any time on and then you find you Need Lots of time to figure out the Subtle moves that Make it look so simple are not so simple after all.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-05-09 08:00 ]

Hey Lake Surfer,
Great work!! Do you sell any of your stuff? We would love to add one of your creations to our collection!
Dave & Coalbe Vasta

T

Lake, great stuff! hopefully we can get the details down on the plumeria Tiki.

C

Schweet carvins Lake. Those tikis look like they are ready for summer.
cheers,
Chongolio

M
motiki posted on Sat, May 8, 2004 8:37 PM

Lake,

Your carvings are great!

Lake~!
Great stuff brah! Take an apprentice?? :wink:

Tiki-Toa

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-06-29 14:40 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 10:54 ]

B

LakeSurfer, those look GREAT. Are they for sale or trade? I soppose now everyone's gonna be coming up with carvings and I'm broke. It's been like a ghost town for carvings here recently. Lookin Good

Mahalo Ben.

I think I'm going to hold onto these until my first art fair this June... as soon as I get more money to buy lamps I'll let you know about trade/purchasing one...

That's the big thing now... spending money on making tikis... stain, clear poly, sandpaper... etc.
Need to sell to make more... someday I might break even!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-08-03 07:39 ]

T

Lake those lamps rock! Hey make sure you let me know where and when you will be at those fairs, if you need help I am there, if you do not need help I am still there!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 10:52 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 10:53 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:08 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:08 ]

And who said Honda didn't make trucks!

B

Dude thats a pile of Tikis.

On 2004-07-22 23:03, thechikitiki wrote:
And who said Honda didn't make trucks!

Yea... that poor car of mine!

Much of that pile of wood has become tikis... a few to share...

The workspace is now out in the garage... where I spend about 6 hours each day... I haven't even made a dent in my wood supply...

A couple "in progress"

Finished up...

B

LakeSurfer, your work is really getting better and better. I'm Extremely Jealous of that wood pile.. Can't wait to se those other tikis uncovered.

Couple new ones worth sharing... cranking out the big ones now as September approaches...
The one above is going to Jay and Sally to live... had to carve another one just a tad bigger... that one is going to live in Joliet Wednesday...

Big piece of Linden wood... fun stuff...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-08-16 22:50 ]

Finally got my first tiki stool done...

And another little guy...

On 2004-08-25 00:49, Lake Surfer wrote:
Finally got my first tiki stool done...

And another little guy...

Now there's an idea that should make a million... A clothing line just for tikis!

I'm working on a style totally different from my usual traditional just for a change of pace. It is growing on me over time but it is non traditional for me. Not finished yet, I'm drawing up a pineapple to carve in the forehead... just had a little fun with the propane torch and everything is sanded... updates to come...

A bunch of big logs to get carved before the cold winter drives me out of the garage... Ken, if you're out there that big one up front is going to be the fountain we talked about... mahalo again for your help, I can't wait to get started on that one but my arms are complaining already...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-04-21 09:08 ]

That is soooo cool! Yes, it is non-traditional, but so is a tiki carver in Wisconsin. So I say do what inspires you.
Good work, it looks fabulous!

love all yer work, and will be in touch in the next month to get somethin from ya.....

Good Stuff Dave! I like it -- what kind of wood is that?? Looks killer!

I love my Rarotongan tiki I bought from you at Hukilau. I wish I had more $$ that day or I would have adopted a larger one as well. Your work is awsome and I am proud to have it in my home. It was really great meeting you.

Aaron

R

Lakesurfer, I really dig your carvings. My favorite is still the mailbox. Thanks for sharing the new direction, It looks great.

Thanks guys for the kind words...
Adrian, its a yellow pine... I have a lot of that left... this one was tough in spots around the knots... the wood grain grows in a circular pattern and it harder to remove than the straight grain... the dry air combined with splintering pine has really bloodied the hands... two weeks off and I've gone soft...

As I said, just an experimental stage, I expect to return to traditional and am dying to try my hand at some Vanuatu stuff after watching Survivor...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-10-08 20:41 ]

Hi Lake Surfer,

I've been admiring your work here for some time. I've also admired Tiki-G's "badass" design skills, so I can relate. You can definitely pick out a "freaky" tiki, cause they all have that certain scary look. I think yours will be a little different, definitely a departure from your previous work, but sure to look killer. I think each tiki really comes together at the end, at the sanding & finishing stage. Until then you just have to imagine what the final product's gonna look like.

I'm working with some previously dried palm wood, & thinking about carving up a "real" wood log sometime in the future. Planning ahead, how long does it take for your logs to dry out suitable for carving, from the time that they are cut till the time that they are carved? You seem to have a nice stockpile going, so I thought you'd have some good advice on this.

A-A

B

LS , your stuf is still looking great. It was nice meeting you at HikiLau. Wish we would have had more time to talk. Next year we will.
Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to carve Wacky if you want. ya gotta have fun.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-04-21 09:08 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:09 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:10 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:10 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:11 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:09 ]

Beautiful work, LS. I especially like the bottom one.

HT

Good show old chap. Good show.

Lake - I dig your decor! Very classy stuff!

Mahalo guys! :)

Hey Lake - where do you live? I am loving all of your work and am considering buying some for my house and yard.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:11 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:12 ]

Great shape on that fountain log! I can't wait to see this!
-FB

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies