Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies

Mahalo all for your kind words...

Sam... they never get burned out... just sharpened up again!
It is the excitement of freeing that next tiki out of the log that keeps me going... sitting among them all with admiration and a drink in hand is just a bonus!

Ben... I'll have plenty again for Hukilau, no worries about that! There's a stack of un-barked logs in the back yard staring me down everyday... I have to make a dent in the prepped logs in the studio first...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-07-21 11:14 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:35 ]

H

Awesome carvings man. Again so many cool and quality carvings, and so many nore on the way. Awesome.

Wow!!! I am so jealous. That is a beautiful sight Lakesurfer.

M

You always have awesome work.

I really like the variety.

Thanks for the compliments! That's the fun part about carving tikis... the wide variety of styles and types inspired by all the different cultures of the South Pacific. I don't think it can really get boring. Many times I've gone from the Marquesas to New Zealand and then to Hawaii in one week on the carving table!

Those are truly some beautiful pieces, LS - as always.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-09-01 23:04 ]

H

Cool stuff (as always). Nice

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-17 22:19 ]

A fine fountain, LS. I like the clean basic look mingled with the tiki.

Thanks Sam! They are fun little projects to break up the regular guys I've been carving.

Beautiful fountain, damm that's nice.

TG

Awesome! Looking good Lake! Should be a big hit at the Hukilau!

Nice talking with you.

G.

Monster chops, Lake. See you at the Hukilau? (And this time you're 'stayin for the Mai Kai..hurricane or no!)

I love that fountain. With out giving too much away could you post some close up shots ? I am curios where the pump is and how to run the tubing. I have never seen a fountain up close.

8T

Lake, I think that may be my very favorite piece of yours. Whoever gets that one will really enjoy it. Congrats!

Thanks so much guys!

BK... I'll see you in two and a half weeks! Keep the storms away this time!

Rodeo... I'll take some shots and PM them to you... its pretty simple...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-09-17 00:15 ]

H

Cool fountain! What would really enhance it is an underwater spotlight shining up the tiki from underneath. Very sweet. I reckon I should rig one up to spit into the pool

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-17 22:19 ]

M

Can't wait to see these bro.Awesome efforts.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:36 ]

TG

Look'n good Lake. Can't wait to see everything else your bringing down. Are you done yet???????????

G.

great lamp Lakesurfer....good luck at Hukilau...No
Hurricanes this time...we hope!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 28, 2005 4:28 PM

Those little guys and the lamp are really cool. Nice as always man

B

You GO Lake. The lamps are Killer. You have improved since last year it seems. Are you using chisels more or what are you doing different besides becoming a master?
Can't Wait to see you and all your new stuff!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:37 ]

Awesome stuff lake! I really like the last tiki you posted, that mouth and the eyes are very well done. I hope the Hookie-lauwww is good to you and your mini van goes back lighter than it came

TG

They look great Lake! It's funny you said that. We were sitting there last night yaking about the Hukilau over a few brewskies and I asked Trish if she thought we were caught up enough for me to squeeze one more carving in. Consensus was yes, so I guess I'll be busy this weekend again haking another one out. It never ends........

G.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:37 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 4:25 PM

Cool. Had to do just on more? :)

The base is a practical but good looking touch.

R

Seeing all the awesome tiki's that you have carved makes me wish that I was going to Hukilau.

Thanks for sharing

TG

Aloha Lake! I felt Mr. Lake Tiki needed a bump up on his works. After seeing Lake's works for the time up close and in the buff, I have to say wow. Lake had soooo many nice pieces at the Hukilau I was amazed. I loved the fountain tiki, the signs were cool as hell and the Leopard print he used amongst everything I just thought was rad to say the least.

It sure say's alot about a man who would travel the distance he did to share some tiki love with everyone at Hukilau way down there in South Florida. I could not believe all he fit into the mini van when I saw it all set-up. Hell Lake I thought you said you were traveling light my brotha'!!!!

Lake's style is very unique and definitely his own. I heard many compliments on his art and every bit of it was well deserved.

My best memory I have of the Lake Surfer was when I saw him "Skate" across the ballroom floor at 7:00am and he did not even bust his ass when did the "semi" daffy wheelie (old skool term for me)!! True skate/surfer at heart. You go my man!

Kudos to Lake Surfer for bringing the stoke not only about his works, but for the genuine good person he is.

It was a pleasure finally meeting you and Jen and hope we all can spend some quality time with you two next year...

Tiki G. & Tiki T.

Sorry about the picture quality I had to lighten it quite a bit.....

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2005-10-18 06:12 ]

I love that last piece! The base is cool and I love the way everything is sort of stretched, like he is made of rubber and some invisible person is stretching him up.

Mahalo guys...

Gary... you're too much... thanks for the props.

[

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:38 ]

TG

I'm sure it is...at Ymas'.
You deserve it bro'.........

G.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2005 5:14 PM

Lake,

Sorry I was unable to be there and meet you. It sounds like everyone liked your work and enjoyed meeting up with you. Hopefully next time I can get over there. I hope you didn't have to pack all those tikis back in the van....

-Gman

B

Hey Lake, I am sure the lamp was for her too and ditto that you deserve it.
You had some excellent stuff at Hukilau and if you keep getting better the way you did last year, then next Hukilau you will blow everyone away.

Thanks guys!

Just when I thought I was going to take the winter off... no tiki parties or shows coming up... things are blowing up again. Over the winter I have a Chicago condo patio to start carving for, fountain orders galor and more work coming up on the Kenosha tiki bar... I'm off to harvest logs next week for a busy winter...

No rest for these weary arms! That's a good thing!

TG

You go my man! Congrats!!!!!!

Waves are really going off hear in the gulf.....of course I'm missing it. Blah.

Kep us informed on your progress,

G.

Check out the hard work and creativity of Mike, Melissa, Bill and myself in a new tiki bar...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15784&forum=1&16

Old school flavor!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:39 ]

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 3:14 PM

Ohhhhhhhh! MMMmmmm! that's like girly pics for us termites! Man, you're gonna have fun with those...

-Gman

Congrats on the winter work orders Lake. What are you going to do to prep the wood , I recently found that a bunch I had stored outside under a tarp dried and split really bad. Any advice would be appreciated..

B

Excellent tiki bar pic's Lake. You should be very proud of that job,, Excellent
The only thing wrong with that load of logs, And it's a Big problem, is that you didn't deliver them far enough down the road. They need to be down here in Sunny Florida.
Keepmus posted what you do with them.
Congrats on the rash of work. Thats what you get for even Thinking of taking time off.

Drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Rodeo...

This is my favorite time to get logs from my arborist friend...
the logs have been sitting around during a fairly dry summer.
The most important part was most of them were way off the ground. These pieces are the prime cuts from whole 30-40 foot trees that were all stacked up in the wood dump. I had my eye on a bunch more that were real nice until I picked them up off the ground and they had started to fall apart.

The most important part about drying logs is time. What I've found is it has to be spread out. Nature seems to dry a log best. That is over a season and with the bark on. As I said, most of these except for the Spruce have lost all their bark. And for 5 foot logs they are light... I've lifted enough wet ones and found out the difference.
And trees that die or are diseased and have to be cut down... those I've found are the best... they are already dry standing.

Now, some might lose a little surface moisture and check a little once I get them inside. But it won't be nearly as bad as if these hadn't dried over a season.

I'm bringing these into a warm basement for the winter after I debark and sand smooth... moisture getting in the wood and freezing and thawing all winter won't be good for them.

Sometimes its a gamble... that's why I love having the wood dump to go to... there is always a mix of bad and good logs to choose from...

Ben...

You're going to give me an excuse to drive all the way to Florida again? I don't know if the wife will go for that...:wink:

You take a little break... after the incredible pieces you cranked out
for Hukilau you deserve it.

A day doesn't pass when I don't dream of carving under a thatched hut with the tropical breeze blowing through... but the reality is that I'm stuck here in this basement... and if I don't get that sanding booth done I'm going to be out there in the snow this winter!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies